ADVERTISEMENT

Well, let’s talk SOS and RPI again...

Trying to be optimistic, which is getting tougher. But still looking a lot like the 2014 team. Only difference is we don't have a horse like Randle to go to when we need a basket.

Trying to be optimistic, which is getting tougher. But still looking a lot like the 2014 team. Only difference is we don't have a horse like Randle to go to when we need a basket.
There are other differences, like two facilitating guards on the floor most of the time.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Oklahoma was a #4 seed just 4 days ago let's compare resumes

Kentucky 17-9 (6-7), RPI 20, SOS 4, Non Conf SOS 6, Avg RPI win 107, Avg RPI loss 30
Oklahoma 16-9 (6-7), RPI 21, SOS 9, Non Conf SOS 80, Avg RPI win 112, Avg RPI loss 48

Kentucky 2-6 vs quad 1, 8-3 vs quad 2 (10 quality wins but only 2 vs the high end)
Oklahoma 6-6 vs quad 1, 2-3 vs quad 2 (8 quality wins with 6 of them being high end)

The only thing Oklahoma has more of is quad 1 wins 6 to 2 but Kentucky actually has more overall quality wins 10 to 8 and better non conf SOS and everything else about equal.

The difference in the quad 1 and 2 is because the teams we beat in the SEC just miss being quad 1 wins while teams Oklahoma has beaten are just barely quad 1 wins. So your talking 5-10 RPI points for a few other teams being the difference in 6 to 2 quad 1 wins being the difference between them being a 4 seed and us being a ?

Wins that needed to be RPI 30 or less to be quad 1 home wins that are currently quad 2 wins
Louisville RPI 41
Vermont RPI 43

Wins that needed to be RPI 75 or less to be quad 1 road wins that are currently quad 2 wins

LSU RPI 83

Oklahoma's quad 1 wins that are barely quad 1 wins

Neutral vs USC RPI 47 (51 would drop this to a quad 2 win)
Home vs TCU RPI 27 (31 would drop this to a quad 2 win)

Both teams have lost 4 in a row

So a few RPI points here or there is the difference between Oklahoma being a #4 seed and Kentucky being a whatever seed.

....someone tell me we’re still in great shape and not even close to being on the bubble.

Anyone?
Kev, I said in another thread, I’m looking more at can UK win enough games in the last five to not have to play on Thursday in the SEC tournament. You do that and the NCAA bid is a lock. The good news is we play 4 teams who are currently ahead of us in the SEC standings. The bad news is we play 4 teams who are currently ahead of us in the SEC standings. [laughing] However, UK controls it’s own destiny to the NCAA tournament, but can they take advantage of it is the question?

Reactions: Fox2monk and kev69
Kev, I said in another thread, I’m looking more at can UK win enough games in the last five to not have to play on Thursday in the SEC tournament. You do that and the NCAA bid is a lock. The good news is we play 4 teams who are currently ahead of us in the SEC standings. The bad news is we play 4 teams who are currently ahead of us in the SEC standings. [laughing] However, UK controls it’s own destiny to the NCAA tournament, but can they take advantage of it is the question?
Good point about having to win some games to not have to play on Thursday.

Hopefully we can win at least three out of the remaining four games.

I have seen Alabama games where they look awesome, and I have seen them look really bad. Who knows which Tide team shows up Saturday.

Reactions: crpoore
Oklahoma was a #4 seed just 4 days ago let's compare resumes

Kentucky 17-9 (6-7), RPI 20, SOS 4, Non Conf SOS 6, Avg RPI win 107, Avg RPI loss 30
Oklahoma 16-9 (6-7), RPI 21, SOS 9, Non Conf SOS 80, Avg RPI win 112, Avg RPI loss 48

Kentucky 2-6 vs quad 1, 8-3 vs quad 2 (10 quality wins but only 2 vs the high end)
Oklahoma 6-6 vs quad 1, 2-3 vs quad 2 (8 quality wins with 6 of them being high end)

The only thing Oklahoma has more of is quad 1 wins 6 to 2 but Kentucky actually has more overall quality wins 10 to 8 and better non conf SOS and everything else about equal.

The difference in the quad 1 and 2 is because the teams we beat in the SEC just miss being quad 1 wins while teams Oklahoma has beaten are just barely quad 1 wins. So your talking 5-10 RPI points for a few other teams being the difference in 6 to 2 quad 1 wins being the difference between them being a 4 seed and us being a ?

Wins that needed to be RPI 30 or less to be quad 1 home wins that are currently quad 2 wins
Louisville RPI 41
Vermont RPI 43

Wins that needed to be RPI 75 or less to be quad 1 road wins that are currently quad 2 wins

LSU RPI 83

Oklahoma's quad 1 wins that are barely quad 1 wins

Neutral vs USC RPI 47 (51 would drop this to a quad 2 win)
Home vs TCU RPI 27 (31 would drop this to a quad 2 win)

Both teams have lost 4 in a row

So a few RPI points here or there is the difference between Oklahoma being a #4 seed and Kentucky being a whatever seed.
Where is that dude who said Vermont was a shit win. They are 21-5 now with a top 50 RPI.

Good point about having to win some games to not have to play on Thursday.

Hopefully we can win at least three out of the remaining four games.

I have seen Alabama games where they look awesome, and I have seen them look really bad. Who knows which Tide team shows up Saturday.
Well the other team we play is Ole Piss. I think that’s a win. Bama is the key. The season is over most likely if they don’t beat Bama.

Reactions: kev69
4 losses in a row is pushing us a lot closer to the bubble, but I'm standing by my prediction that 20 wins gets us in. Win out at home and go into the SEC tournament at 20-11 and we're in for sure. Drop another home game without picking up a road win and we need to win on Thursday of the SEC tournament.

Reactions: kev69
4 losses in a row is pushing us a lot closer to the bubble, but I'm standing by my prediction that 20 wins gets us in. Win out at home and go into the SEC tournament at 20-11 and we're in for sure. Drop another home game without picking up a road win and we need to win on Thursday of the SEC tournament.
Pretty much what I’m thinking.

Reactions: crpoore
I'm to the point I think we need the extra game just for experience.

Reactions: irishcat1965
I think just from listening to Coach Cal recently we maybe going back to having three point guards on the floor. The last week on his post game he keeps bringing up about the last couple years having that lineup. We may have Green,Shai and Quickley on the court together next year. I know this won't help this year but it sounds good.

11 regular season losses is a bubble team. We will probably get in but we are on the bubble. Need to end with only 10 losses

11 regular season losses is a bubble team. We will probably get in but we are on the bubble. Need to end with only 10 losses
Over the years you only show up when UK is struggling. UK will be good next year but Louisville will never be good for the foreseeable future. Now GTFO card fan

Where is that dude who said Vermont was a shit win. They are 21-5 now with a top 50 RPI.

Also note Vermiont has done all this without their best player Anthony Lamb broke his foot 13 games into the season and has not played since yet Vermont has not lost a single game without him. Hopefully he comes back for the NCAA tournament this team has a real shot of pulling off a 12/5 or 13/4 upset if they get him back.

There are other differences, like two facilitating guards on the floor most of the time.
Dont Green and SGA play alot together? I think we have to Handle it different than 14 I think the growing pains are the same except in 14 the SEC was a laughing stock and the year before only had like 3 teams in the tourney. So we could still have a 14 kinda run. We will have to handle the Randal roll by committee. Vanderbilt 15 rebounds a game per 30 is very Randal like. If we can get PJ to pick up the inside scoring we could replace Randals production with two guys. Just need Richards Gabriel and SKJ to contribute as much as freshman DJ, Lee, and Poy. Cause WCS went down to injury when we went on our tourney run.

This team can go either way. They could flame out early or win a couple a first weekend games take over a higher seeds path and then its about match ups every team is vulnerable and this team has been in position to win all 4 of the games we lost. We simply had 2 or 3 bad min late in the games that is youth and fixable. The NCAA is wide open the tourney is gonna be a mess but that is to our advantage.

Do you believe Vermont is Top 50 good? No Top 100 wins and only 4 Top 150 wins.

Wins (RPI 1-50)
RPI DATE OPPONENT SCORE
No current wins in this range.

Losses (RPI 1-50)
RPI DATE OPPONENT SCORE
19 Nov. 12 @ Kentucky 69-73
44 Dec. 16 St. Bonaventure* 79-81

Wins (RPI 51-100)
RPI DATE OPPONENT SCORE

Losses (RPI 51-100)
RPI DATE OPPONENT SCORE
95 Dec. 2 @ Bucknell 77-81
66 Dec. 5 @ Marquette 81-91
76 Dec. 9 @ Northeastern 67-71

Wins (RPI 101-150)
RPI DATE OPPONENT SCORE
103 Nov. 17 Bradley* 65-64
118 Nov. 19 Northern Kentucky* 66-64
134 Jan. 24 Albany 61-50
134 Feb. 8 @ Albany 72-67

Losses (RPI 101-150)
RPI DATE OPPONENT SCORE
No current losses in this range.

Wins (RPI 150+)
RPI DATE OPPONENT SCORE
239 Nov. 18 Coastal Carolina* 80-67
219 Nov. 25 @ Yale 79-73
165 Nov. 29 @ Richmond 71-65
273 Dec. 11 Siena 81-57
279 Dec. 21 Quinnipiac 80-73
155 Jan. 2 @ Harvard 62-56
298 Jan. 4 @ UMass Lowell 88-77
154 Jan. 6 UMBC 71-56
334 Jan. 10 @ Dartmouth 91-78
241 Jan. 13 Stony Brook 73-62
339 Jan. 15 Maine 83-62
306 Jan. 18 @ New Hampshire 67-56
213 Jan. 21 @ Hartford 76-53
318 Jan. 31 @ Binghamton 68-54
154 Feb. 3 @ UMBC 81-53
298 Feb. 11 UMass Lowell 81-69

Do you believe Vermont is Top 50 good? No Top 100 wins and only 4 Top 150 wins.

Wins (RPI 1-50)
RPI DATE OPPONENT SCORE

Losses (RPI 1-50)
RPI DATE OPPONENT SCORE
19 Nov. 12 @ Kentucky 69-73
44 Dec. 16 St. Bonaventure* 79-81

Wins (RPI 51-100)
RPI DATE OPPONENT SCORE

Losses (RPI 51-100)
RPI DATE OPPONENT SCORE
95 Dec. 2 @ Bucknell 77-81
66 Dec. 5 @ Marquette 81-91
76 Dec. 9 @ Northeastern 67-71

Wins (RPI 101-150)
RPI DATE OPPONENT SCORE
103 Nov. 17 Bradley* 65-64
118 Nov. 19 Northern Kentucky* 66-64
134 Jan. 24 Albany 61-50
134 Feb. 8 @ Albany 72-67

Losses (RPI 101-150)
RPI DATE OPPONENT SCORE
No current losses in this range.

Wins (RPI 150+)
RPI DATE OPPONENT SCORE
239 Nov. 18 Coastal Carolina* 80-67
219 Nov. 25 @ Yale 79-73
165 Nov. 29 @ Richmond 71-65
273 Dec. 11 Siena 81-57
279 Dec. 21 Quinnipiac 80-73
155 Jan. 2 @ Harvard 62-56
298 Jan. 4 @ UMass Lowell 88-77
154 Jan. 6 UMBC 71-56
334 Jan. 10 @ Dartmouth 91-78
241 Jan. 13 Stony Brook 73-62
339 Jan. 15 Maine 83-62
306 Jan. 18 @ New Hampshire 67-56
213 Jan. 21 @ Hartford 76-53
318 Jan. 31 @ Binghamton 68-54
154 Feb. 3 @ UMBC 81-53
298 Feb. 11 UMass Lowell 81-69
I’m telling you what the RPI says. And yes I think it’s a good win.

I know we lost to Auburn by 10, but we were good enough to beat them we made some mistakes at the end, but we had them and they are the best team in the SEC. They have destroyed teams, not just at home, but on the road too.
There is some positive to take away from last nights game. I think this team is good enough to win their remaining home games, beat Arkansas on the road and at least give Florida a scare.

I know we lost to Auburn by 10, but we were good enough to beat them we made some mistakes at the end, but we had them and they are the best team in the SEC. They have destroyed teams, not just at home, but on the road too.
There is some positive to take away from last nights game. I think this team is good enough to win their remaining home games, beat Arkansas on the road and at least give Florida a scare.
They pull that off and there is tons of momentum heading to the SEC tournament.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I think we're in if we only beat Ole Miss. Our RPI and SOS are high enough.. remember the year UGA made the tournament with only 16 wins but their RPI and SOS were high

We re not getting in with a sub .500 record in the SEc. not unless we win 3 or so in the SEc T. The SEc isnt respected enough to do that no matter RPi

I would feel better if the CATS got 20 wins before the SECT...that would completely take the NCAAT selection committee out of the equation...

I keep thinking the numbers are getting worse, but they aren't. We have to win the 3 remaining home games; we can't lose out and get in.

The SC lose is the only bad one.

I keep thinking the numbers are getting worse, but they aren't. We have to win the 3 remaining home games; we can't lose out and get in.

The SC lose is the only bad one.

They are worse the RPi has gone from 12 to 20. We win out at home and lose on the road we will be 19. RPi and last ten are big factors. I don’t think the sec gets a conference losing team in. If so it will be a play in game and that’s with some conference tourney wins. B12 and ACC even Big East will get bottom dwellers before sec

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT