ADVERTISEMENT

Well I thought I had to post a thread...

WildCard

All-American
May 29, 2001
to take my licks!

Just not much to say other than great game by the Cats. Complete and total domination. Well, the Cards did look pretty good on pass defense.

I had a feeling the Cats were going to win this one but in no way in the manner and by the margin they did (be honest, you guys didn't either [winking]). I certainly knew the Cardinal defense was awful but I'm still STUNNED by UK's run numbers.

FWIW I see some football similarity between Satterfield and Stoops. Although they use different schemes, both are run the ball, play good defense football guys. Both took over lightly talented teams. The good news for UK (and unfortunate thing for UofL) is it took 4 or 5 years for the Cats to get over the same hump the Cards are staring at.

Best of luck in your bowl.

Peace

It sucks losing to your rival, but UofL should be happy with their season. Thought it’d take them much longer to get back to seven wins, regardless of conference.

Not sure things will get better before they get worse though. The attrition and poor recruiting may show down the road.

Just not much to say other than great game by the Cats. Complete and total domination. Well, the Cards did look pretty good on pass defense.

I had a feeling the Cats were going to win this one but in no way in the manner and by the margin they did (be honest, you guys didn't either [winking]). I certainly knew the Cardinal defense was awful but I'm still STUNNED by UK's run numbers.

FWIW I see some football similarity between Satterfield and Stoops. Although they use different schemes, both are run the ball, play good defense football guys. Both took over lightly talented teams. The good news for UK (and unfortunate thing for UofL) is it took 4 or 5 years for the Cats to get over the same hump the Cards are staring at.

Peace

Thanks for posting, pretty much the way I saw it as well. Thought we had the better team, and lord knows we were due to play well at home against Louisville, but never thought we would win by more than 30. Kentucky just looked way bigger and more physical than Vanderbilt and Louisville in the last three weeks. Really impressed with Kentucky as a whole. After losing a ton to the NFL and then top 2 quarterbacks, Cats still had a really nice season and should be able to easily maintain recruiting momentum.

Thought the game would be a nail biter.
I'm also one of those that couldn't see the Cats only receiver at qb......ah, well.

Cards look about three years ahead on a five year rebuild... but it looks like the recruiting cupboard is nearly full for next year and defense wasn't the hugest focus.

Petrino left Louisville a mess again....and the AD that brought him back left sooner.

Gonna take a bit.

Reactions: Nuke99m
to take my licks!

Peace
I guess you did look good on pass defense lol

I did expect UK to win handily, but 2 t.d.'s handy, not 4. I didn't expect the Cats to break so many long runs, so I expected our scoring drives to eat 7/9 minutes a pop, with methodical 7/8 yd. runs. It's basically the game I envisioned, except Louisville's defense was worse than I thought.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
props to you OP
very glad you are not trying to make excuses like the Refs or the weather like so many of your fanbase is

now for the part you are not going to like, but it is how I see it

i do not think UL is ahead of schedule
i think they benefited greatly from the ACC being so bad (UL is basically the second best team) think about that
you lack P5 talent in the trenches and overall on D
last year and this years recruiting classes are of little to very little help
Satterfield is recruiting like he is at a low mid major

it will take 5-6 years to fix these problems providing he starts recruiting better

UL overachieved this year despite last year's disaster. You have to give Satterfield credit for that. The real question is can he recruit at this level. The jury's still out on that one.

Reactions: vhcat70
It sucks losing to your rival, but UofL should be happy with their season. Thought it’d take them much longer to get back to seven wins, regardless of conference.

Not sure things will get better before they get worse though. The attrition and poor recruiting may show down the road.
From 2-10 clown show.. 2 a 7-5 Bowl squad, well done !

props to you OP
very glad you are not trying to make excuses like the Refs or the weather like so many of your fanbase is

i think they benefited greatly from the ACC being so bad (UL is basically the second best team) think about that

it will take 5-6 years to fix these problems providing he starts recruiting better

The turn-around process could be similar to Coach Brooks’ experience. There was experienced talent on his first team and that team could have had a winning season, but for the gut-wrenching heart breakers against UF and Ark.

Brooks second and third season is when the full impact of probation set in as the experience graduated. Petrino drove UofL so deep into the ground it might as well have been probation. If Satterfield keeps Louisville above .500 over the next 2 years, I’ll be impressed.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
thanks for the post. It was impressive to see what Satt did even in a down ACC. He has a very good offensive system. totally keeps teams off balance when mixed with speed. looks for speed on D too.

He seems very sure of what he wants in a player. just a tough haul to get a legit LOS. Will be interesting to see how his defensive system utilizing smaller, quick Dlinemen works out in the ACC against the better schools and us going forward. Stoops is certainly going to keep building UK like a big boy SEC team.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
I did expect UK to win handily, but 2 t.d.'s handy, not 4. I didn't expect the Cats to break so many long runs, so I expected our scoring drives to eat 7/9 minutes a pop, with methodical 7/8 yd. runs. It's basically the game I envisioned, except Louisville's defense was worse than I thought.

When a high school runs the veer and it’s opponent stacks the line with 9-11 bodies to stop the run, it is often a huge gainer when the runner can get past the first level. That is what Saturday reminded me of.

Reactions: spartacat
to take my licks!

Peace
Picked CATS 28-17, but damn l didn't know AllCheatersConference was that weak! I mean UK sucks wind , right because our schedule was so weak and that's the only way we won.

They lose 23 seniors and l don't think last year or this year's recruiting classes are very good at all.

Thanks for posting, pretty much the way I saw it as well. Thought we had the better team, and lord knows we were due to play well at home against Louisville, but never thought we would win by more than 30. Kentucky just looked way bigger and more physical than Vanderbilt and Louisville in the last three weeks. Really impressed with Kentucky as a whole. After losing a ton to the NFL and then top 2 quarterbacks, Cats still had a really nice season and should be able to easily maintain recruiting momentum.
1 1/2 yds and missing a fg by 6 " kept this from being another 9-3 year...#GOCATS

I knew our defense was good but UofL has a lot of speed and more in the future but so will we with Joseph and a great recruiting haul again.

Satterfield has a explosive team but they aren’t big enough. You can’t be 250/300/250 in a 3-4. I could see them playing for the Acc if they hit big on 3-4 Oats/McCall type guys in the front 7 but that’s easier said than done or hit big at QB like LSU did...

Did you go to the game, WC?
Yes I did. I have missed only 1 since the "modern series" started. I have good reason to have missed the first 6 games. [laughing]

We had terrible seats in the EZ to watch the game but had some overhang protection from the rain. On top of that I am recovering from retina surgery and have some vision issues that I hope get corrected come January. So basically about all I can say about the game right now is I was there.

I have yet to watch my recording but, unlike last year, I will watch my recording. I'm pretty sure ass-kicking nicely sums it up but I may have some more astute commentary then. [roll]

FWIW, I think the big UofL takeaway here (as theTcat noted) is can you make a (very) lightweight 3-4 work at the P5 level? I have some real doubt but we will see how it goes. Not that anyone here cares, at halftime against the 'Cuse, I thought we were finally playing a decent game of defensive football then gave up 24 points in the second half.

Satterfield did some nice work ay Appy State but I think this is the first time he has experienced a true rivalry game and atmosphere (i.e., thumbs down thing). I hope he learned the only way you stop stuff like that is win the game.

And thanks to those that "liked" my OP - personal record over here. (Or on the Cards pay board; I'm pretty football blunt over there as well. [winking])

Peace

Yes I did. I have missed only 1 since the "modern series" started. I have good reason to have missed the first 6 games. [laughing]

We had terrible seats in the EZ to watch the game but had some overhang protection from the rain. On top of that I am recovering from retina surgery and have some vision issues that I hope get corrected come January. So basically about all I can say about the game right now is I was there.

I have yet to watch my recording but, unlike last year, I will watch my recording. I'm pretty sure ass-kicking nicely sums it up but I may have some more astute commentary then. [roll]

FWIW, I think the big UofL takeaway here (as theTcat noted) is can you make a (very) lightweight 3-4 work at the P5 level? I have some real doubt but we will see how it goes. Not that anyone here cares, at halftime against the 'Cuse, I thought we were finally playing a decent game of defensive football then gave up 24 points in the second half.

Satterfield did some nice work ay Appy State but I think this is the first time he has experienced a true rivalry game and atmosphere (i.e., thumbs down thing). I hope he learned the only way you stop stuff like that is win the game.

And thanks to those that "liked" my OP - personal record over here. (Or on the Cards pay board; I'm pretty football blunt over there as well. [winking])

Peace

Is it too late to unlike? I want Lynn Bowden to have all the awards this week.

props to you OP

Satterfield recruiting better than could be expected after last season's fiasco that he has to overcome imo. This season's results show he's building & 2021 could be better yet.

When a high school runs the veer and it’s opponent stacks the line with 9-11 bodies to stop the run, it is often a huge gainer when the runner can get past the first level. That is what Saturday reminded me of.
What happened to UK at end of FL game.

Nice post OP. Sometimes it takes owning up to saying what is the truth to being accepted as legit. I’ve been as critical as anyone of UL fans in general, and will continue to be until proven otherwise. But there’s always the exception, and you seem to be one. And no, I didn’t see the dominant performance coming either, thought it would be a dogfight.

Reactions: willievic
Sattersfield inherited a much better team than Stoops did. The ones sucked, but he had some good skill players. Enough to win shoot out games in the ACC, which isn't that hard. Unfortunately, Satterfield still hasn't addressed the line issues. That's 2 years now. So yeah, they're going to keep on having to win shootouts. Better teams than their conference has will run rough shod over their line. So even if he does address this issue, it's 2 more years after recruiting the players! And that's an optimistic schedule. FSU is down, Miami is down, They have the recruiting base to jump up quicker than U6. Expect them to.this year, and next year, will be U6's best before the talent of the more traditional schools begins to overwhelm their lineman.

So they will keep bowling, but will lose if they play anyone decent. About what you would think a mid level.commuter school on a river in the ACC would do.

Reactions: willievic
to take my licks!

Peace

Nice post. Not one back-handed compliment! Nice change of pace

props to you OP

I agree with part of your post, mainly that the ACC being HORRIBLE helped UL greatly get their overinflated record; however, I still think it's right to give Satterthorpe credit for maximizing what's there. I'm sorry, but teams like BC and Wake may be mediocre (at best), but they still had a head start on what UL's coach had to work with.

I think UL is in for a rough road. Next year should be worse than this one as they have some automatic losses baked in (Clemson, FSU, Va Tech, ND, and UK). To equal this year's record, they would have to sweep the rest and I don't see that happening as I would at least expect UVA to win in Charlottesville.

ADVERTISEMENT