ADVERTISEMENT

Well, I have never cared that much for Matt Jones and the way his site allowed all the ignorant

jauk11

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 6, 2006
posts about UK football when they first started made me swear never to go back there.

But he just gained a lot of points with me with his rants about UL on Paul's show, he didn't say quite as much about UL's program as I would have but then they would have pulled the plug on me after the first sentence or so.

LOL

Reactions: martycat1
Congratulations......

I'll ask again. What does this have to do with Kentucky Football?

Reactions: Babysluggo
I understand that Matt is not everyone's cup of tea, but I always have a soft spot for him b/c A) he lives in Louisville and that's hard as a UK person, and B) he never hesitates to call out the rampant corruption that defines UL as a school and as an athletic department. Good for him.

I understand that Matt is not everyone's cup of tea, but I always have a soft spot for him b/c A) he lives in Louisville and that's hard as a UK person, and B) he never hesitates to call out the rampant corruption that defines UL as a school and as an athletic department. Good for him.

I don't follow him and didn't realize he was that outspoken about their great examples for young men. It also surprised me that Paul might have been even more derogatory when speaking about BP.

Congratulations......

There have been multiple posts through he YEARS about the debacle that is the entire athletic dept. at U of L. and multiple discussions this week. We compete with them on a daily basis for football recruits, and occasional basketball recruits.

Given all that has been revealed about our in-state-rival, in a forensic accounting and the NCAA investigation/penalties, I can't help but see that discussion of these interrelated investigations are very important to UK, the taxpayers of the state, and all programs at UK.

And the best reason to have talk of the U of L stuff here, is so that football fans don't have to visit the other board . . . . is it called Rupp's Rafters?

Last edited:
Coming up next on "NCAAs--Next Target"

bpetrino.jpg

Matt Jones is truly a one horse pony. He likes basketball & knows basketball. He absolutely hates baseball and never gives the Batcats credit.When it comes to Football, Matt puts up with Football because he has to, however there is no reference point of his knowledge of UK football history and that bothers me. His show has suffered in the ratings because he has gotten to off topic to fast. I find myself listen for a few minutes and when he starts talking about basketball during UK football or UK baseball season, I just turn him off. He is also a die hard liberal and when he gets on his political rants, it is time to switched the station.

I will never understand the hate some have for Matt Jones. His show is about the most entertaining thing UK-related I've heard (aside from the actual games). Who cares if he is more of a basketball guy than football or baseball. He admits that. Take him and his show for what it is: a few UK fans sharing their opinions and thoughts about the various programs and other topics in pop culture. They don't claim to be experts. I think a lot of people are jealous that he has their dream job and was just a regular Joe who built something no one else has. He has more access to the programs than all of us put together, and that drives some of you insane.

There have been multiple posts through he YEARS about the debacle that is the entire athletic dept. at U of L. and multiple discussions this week. We compete with them on a daily basis for football recruits, and occasional basketball recruits.

Given all that has been revealed about our in-state-rival, in a forensic accounting and the NCAA investigation/penalties, I can't help but see that discussion of these interrelated investigations are very important to UK, the taxpayers of the state, and all programs at UK.

And the best reason to have talk of the U of L stuff here, is so that football fans don't have to visit the other board . . . . is it called Rupp's Rafters?
I'm a fan of all UK sports and post on the football, basketball and baseball forums here. I never have understood how someone is a fan of only one sport at UK.

Matt Jones is truly a one horse pony. He likes basketball & knows basketball. He absolutely hates baseball and never gives the Batcats credit.When it comes to Football, Matt puts up with Football because he has to, however there is no reference point of his knowledge of UK football history and that bothers me. His show has suffered in the ratings because he has gotten to off topic to fast. I find myself listen for a few minutes and when he starts talking about basketball during UK football or UK baseball season, I just turn him off. He is also a die hard liberal and when he gets on his political rants, it is time to switched the station.
Interesting opinion about his disliking UK baseball when he went to one of the NC State games and said what a great atmosphere it was. He also had many tweets about UK baseball and interviewed the coach.

I'm a fan of all UK sports and post on the football, basketball and baseball forums here. I never have understood how someone is a fan of only one sport at UK.

It's a matter of taste. Some people like WWE, some don't. Some like tennis, some don't. Outside the Reds, college baseball is okay but for me it's only interesting when your team is winning. Same with basketball. Personally, I rarely watch a regular season basketball game and never a baseball game, but I can watch any two college Football teams play any time.

It's a matter of taste. Some people like WWE, some don't. Some like tennis, some don't. Outside the Reds, college baseball is okay but for me it's only interesting when your team is winning. Same with basketball. Personally, I rarely watch a regular season basketball game and never a baseball game, but I can watch any two college Football teams play any time.
I'm like you..the only difference is I could watch football at about every level. It's definitely a matter of taste.

On the topic of frontrunner fans--I never understood the concept of following a team for the sake of "wanting to be associated with a winner". The idea seems hollow to me. When I see people on my Facebook page that root for Alabama in football and UK in basketball, it makes me wonder what they're like in person. I probably wouldn't want to meet them

Reactions: jauk11

This is at least partially false. He loves Ming, and has had him on the show multiple times. The regional and super regional got a ton of KSR coverage on the internet and on radio. He is very high on stoops and they have a ton of football coverage too.

I do think you're right that matt knows basketball, and not much about football and baseball, but I don't think he pretends otherwise.

And yes, Matt is a liberal which probably is offensive to some (much?) of the audience, but it hasn't seemed to kill his ratings.

Interesting opinion about his disliking UK baseball when he went to one of the NC State games and said what a great atmosphere it was. He also had many tweets about UK baseball and interviewed the coach.

Agreed. He said the regional final win against NC state was one of his top 5 moments as a UK fan. Doesn't sound like a basketball-only guy to me!

Reactions: EliteBlue
I will never understand the hate some have for Matt Jones. His show is about the most entertaining thing UK-related I've heard (aside from the actual games). Who cares if he is more of a basketball guy than football or baseball. He admits that. Take him and his show for what it is: a few UK fans sharing their opinions and thoughts about the various programs and other topics in pop culture. They don't claim to be experts. I think a lot of people are jealous that he has their dream job and was just a regular Joe who built something no one else has. He has more access to the programs than all of us put together, and that drives some of you insane.
MJ is an opportunistic lawyer and business man. They are a dime a dozen. Nothing morally wrong with that. There is no reason to hate the guy, unless of course he tries again to use it to get himself elected to the Congress. But people ought to be a lot more realistic about the thin material over there. Basically they are throwing mud at a wall to see what sticks, putting entertainment over information, probably making a lot of money in the process because it's a target rich environment. Probably beats arguing mundane civil litigation in a court room. Fans just need to beware that a lot of stuff posted over there turns out to be untrue, just like here. LOL!

I don't follow him and didn't realize he was that outspoken about their great examples for young men. It also surprised me that Paul might have been even more derogatory when speaking about BP.

Hating Petrino spans across multiple SEC fanbases which Paul caters to.

Oh, I'm a fan of all things UK, but not much of a fan of the roundball forum, on this site. There seems to be a poison there that is hard to describe.

I post there maybe one or twice a year.

Reactions: Levibooty
Oh, I'm a fan of all things UK, but not much of a fan of the roundball forum, on this site. There seems to be a poison there that is hard to describe.

I post there maybe one or twice a year.
I post a lot there, but then I realize that idiotic population I strive to avoid

I'm like you..the only difference is I could watch football at about every level. It's definitely a matter of taste.

On the topic of frontrunner fans--I never understood the concept of following a team for the sake of "wanting to be associated with a winner". The idea seems hollow to me. When I see people on my Facebook page that root for Alabama in football and UK in basketball, it makes me wonder what they're like in person. I probably wouldn't want to meet them
For me, at least relative to basketball, I grew up a uk basketball fan. My first team was the Runts. I was hooked, but every year after that until 1978 ended in being disappointed. In fact, in my 58 years, all but 4 years have ended in disappointment. So, my way of dealing with basketball is simply not to get too caught up in it unless I think it will pay off. Besides, like I said, college bball, as a sport, is at best number 3 or 4 for me.

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
Who cares? UK Football fans who have to deal with the backlash from other SEC Football fans when he goes on shows like Paul Finebaum and makes a complete ass out of himself and then the real UK Football fans are lumped in the same group as him as dumbasses who don't know football. That's who.

Edit: I don't care about his poltics. It's his show, he can say whatever the hell he wants and I respect his poltical views, as a conversative.

MJ is an opportunistic lawyer and business man. They are a dime a dozen. Nothing morally wrong with that. There is no reason to hate the guy, unless of course he tries again to use it to get himself elected to the Congress. But people ought to be a lot more realistic about the thin material over there. Basically they are throwing mud at a wall to see what sticks, putting entertainment over information, probably making a lot of money in the process because it's a target rich environment. Probably beats arguing mundane civil litigation in a court room. Fans just need to beware that a lot of stuff posted over there turns out to be untrue, just like here. LOL!
Agreed-excellent post. I've said it before and I'll say it again - for the discriminating UK FB fan, KSR is NOT your best source for analysis and opinion, although I will say that I like and respect Freddie Maggard a great deal.

Matt Jones saving grace is that he has wormed his way into UK Athletics and does seem to get the good scoop on occasion.

Reactions: martycat1
Congratulations......

Really, does it really matter if someone on here makes a football comment about another college football team? I hope that's not the case. It's a chat board.

KSR is not just Matt Jones. he has hired a few people to help cover the other bases. He is friends with Cal, and known a few former players, so basketball is his cup of tea, but most of the web site is TT, DF FM, and the rest.

Agreed-excellent post. I've said it before and I'll say it again - for the discriminating UK FB fan, KSR is NOT your best source for analysis and opinion, although I will say that I like and respect Freddie Maggard a great deal.

Matt Jones saving grace is that he has wormed his way into UK Athletics and does seem to get the good scoop on occasion.

What else is there that covers all sports and does it in a entertaining way? And again, those guys don't claim to be experts; just fans who have built something that has given them a voice no one else has. Take it for what it is...UK Sports Talk... Not Pulitzer-worthy journalism.

For me, at least relative to basketball, I grew up a uk basketball fan. My first team was the Runts. I was hooked, but every year after that until 1978 ended in being disappointed. In fact, in my 58 years, all but 4 years have ended in disappointment. So, my way of dealing with basketball is simply not to get too caught up in it unless I think it will pay off. Besides, like I said, college bball, as a sport, is at best number 3 or 4 for me.

If you only think a successful sports season is one where your team wins the national title or World Series or Super Bowl, etc, you probably shouldn't watch sports.

If you only think a successful sports season is one where your team wins the national title or World Series or Super Bowl, etc, you probably shouldn't watch sports.
Admittedly, that's the way it is for me relative to basketball. I love Ky Football above all other sports and will follow/support them win or lose. Likewise with the Reds. There's little I enjoy more than sitting with my sons on the back porch listening to Marty and the Reds....even when they suck.

Absolutely fascinating, isn't it? Monkeys flinging poo over mere opinions.

We are UK.

We miss you Paul Wilman!

I really cant stand listening to Matt or Ryan, but my son loves them. Maybe he loves them because he lives in Florida and that's all he can get UK. If I met them personally I might think they were great guys, but trying to listen to them on the radio is tough.

I don't have much of an opinion on him. Don't listen to his show, but don't dislike him by any means. People I follow on Twitter retweet him a lot during basketball games and almost every single time his tweet is reactionary and not really intelligent about basketball. If we're down 25-18 my goodness we just didn't come to play that day. I don't think he knows basketball. Also, the same could be said for his tweets about the football games that get retweeted on my timeline.

My twenty-something sons enjoy listening to him when they can. I rarely tune-in. Not sure why. At times the show seems to be juvenile but at other times informative. His political views are polar opposite of mine. That said, he embodies a few qualities I have a great deal of respect for: He obviously works hard; he had a vision, developed a plan and made a successful business out of it.

Reactions: railroadkat_1
Freddie Maggard as part of KSR does an outstanding Depth Chart Podcast. KSR also does a football podcast during the year with Lorenzen and Maggard.
KSR supports Football as well if not better than any other show in the state.

Reactions: wildcatdynasty006
There's good and bad with him - like most of us. When left the site to concentrate on his other media opportunities, I felt the content went downhill fast and they lost what made them in the first place. Stopped visiting but loved his radio show. After a while, his arrogance and know it all attitude soured me and I stopped listening for the most part.

But he is good at what he does and I love when rants about UL. I personally love to tune him in when it's about UL.

The bottom line is, only he knows what he wants and if the direction he is going in is working and he's happy - good for him. I wil say - no one in the media has the combination of balls and platform to take on UL like he does. And for that, I am very thankful.

Reactions: boowee
I just will never understand the MJ hate. I don't agree with his political views, but the site and the show is great! Very entertaining and a great resource for BBN, especially folks out of the area. And Matt never holds himself out to be an expert. Especially in football.

ADVERTISEMENT