ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Weekend Visitor Preview

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
The three big visit dates that we identified at the beginning of spring were 3/23, 3/30, and the spring game.

We hit that middle date tomorrow and yesterday I identified some of the big stories to watch.

** 4-star QB Stone Saunders meeting with Bush Hamdan for the first time in person and watching how spring practice goes. Significant when it comes to that relationship and both sides getting a feel for the other. I wouldn't expect any change coming out of the weekend but it will be interesting to see what the comments are and how everything goes for them. From where I'm sitting the Saunders/Ward QB class looks excellent and like something you wouldn't want to mess with.

** 4-star WR/TE Tae'Shaun Gelsey from Florida is making it up. My understanding is they are probably going to get at least one and maybe two tight ends from Ohio this year. Luka Gilbert is definitely towards the top of the wish list but there are some others they really like. Gelsey is probably a different kind of receiver, either a big WR target or a true flex TE. Kind of guy who would be tougher to keep long-term than someone who can come down for several games, etc., but you are obviously excited to get him on campus.

** New Jersey WRs Cam Miller and De'Zie Jones are the two New Jersey guys I heard they were trying to lock down. Starting to look like a lot of position recruiting at UK. Marrow going after a lot of tight ends. Wolford going after a lot of offensive linemen. Shorts going after a lot of receivers. That's always how things tend to go with secondary recruiters but this year it seems like they're really getting their own guys from their own locations maybe even more than usual. Will dig into these two a little more.

** Spike Sowells was supposed to be visiting Ohio State on 3/28. Haven't seen him post anything about that but worth keeping in mind.

** 4-star OL Mason Short is announcing soon and I don't expect UK to be the choice. Could be a prime portal target, though.

** One of the nation's top 2026 offensive linemen is expected in Lexington this weekend. Da'Ron Parks from Hurricane, WV. Earlier this month Parks told CI his visits would be to Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida State, and Ohio State. So they're in the conversation with the right schools for the right players.

** In the days following, UK will host Florida OT Bryan Auguste. He's a prime target as well, kind of like Darrin Strey up in Michigan. Looking for guys who can be legitimate tackles in the SEC with a year or two of seasoning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.