ADVERTISEMENT

Weed 2018

Not just part, but rather 100% of me thinks this is the way to go.

Once you think it through, and weigh all the positives vs the negatives, it makes too much sense. And because it makes so much sense, none of our half-witted elected officials would ever go for it.
At the end of the day, these past 50 years have shown us that the ways we've handled the "War on Drugs" have unequivocally not worked. Need some fresh ideas to try to do something to help these people. Too many families have been destroyed because the people in charge care more about their pockets and talking points than actually trying to get people off drugs.

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
At the end of the day, these past 50 years have shown us that the ways we've handled the "War on Drugs" have unequivocally not worked. Need some fresh ideas to try to do something to help these people. Too many families have been destroyed because the people in charge care more about their pockets and talking points than actually trying to get people off drugs.

Wish I could “like” this more than once. I still laugh over the term War On Drugs.

But of course now that a government bureaucracy is established and hardened in place, politicians will never declare victory nor admit defeat (even though they’ve had their asses handed to them for 50 years). They’ll only ever spew the ugly facts then claim that we’re just not trying hard enough. LOL!

IDK, we just had to deal with an obnoxious group of stoners behind us at the Book of Mormon last night, who ruined the experience for everyone within ear shot, audibly giggling at every single line. Meanwhile, every middle aged person sat there quietly with their glass of wine like adults.

Getting kind of tired of the "Weed is completely harmless!" type take. A few hits to relax after a long day at work? No problem. But this notion that it's totally fine to just be stoned all day and turn into a zombie, is no different than the drunk who needs alcohol when they wake up, or the housewife who needs Zoloft to get through the day.

Reactions: MatteoV25
IDK, we just had to deal with an obnoxious group of stoners behind us at the Book of Mormon last night, who ruined the experience for everyone within ear shot, audibly giggling at every single line. Meanwhile, every middle aged person sat there quietly with their glass of wine like adults.

Getting kind of tired of the "Weed is completely harmless!" type take. A few hits to relax after a long day at work? No problem. But this notion that it's totally fine to just be stoned all day and turn into a zombie, is no different than the drunk who needs alcohol when they wake up, or the housewife who needs Zoloft to get through the day.
That's when society can step in and say "quit being a loser." Don't see why it shouldn't be legal but it can be equitable to alcohol where there are limits to what should be taken and if it becomes your personality (whatever the weed version of alcoholic is...weedaholic?) then the rest of us have the right to judge you about it.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
That's when society can step in and say "quit being a loser." Don't see why it shouldn't be legal but it can be equitable to alcohol where there are limits to what should be taken and if it becomes your personality (whatever the weed version of alcoholic is...weedaholic?) then the rest of us have the right to judge you about it.

Weed advocates don’t like the distinction between weed and alcohol, but it exists. Alcohol can be imbibed without the drinker getting high/drunk. Recreational weed is to get high. You may not care about that distinction, but it exists, nevertheless.

Reactions: chroix

Yeah I think that's how we have to look at it. 9 out or 10 people are fine with it, and that's why we've legalized it, and why it SHOULD be legalized. But you'll always have that 1 person who can't handle themselves on it.

Reactions: awf
More than 140,000 people die from excessive alcohol use in the U.S. each year.

Each year, deaths from excessive drinking:
  • Shortened the lives of those who died by an average of 26 years, for a total of nearly 3.6 million years of potential life lost.
  • Usually involved adults aged 35 or older and males.
  • Were mostly due to health effects from drinking too much over time, such as various types of cancer, liver disease, and heart disease.
  • Led to premature deaths. Deaths from drinking too much in a short time (from causes such as motor vehicle crashes, poisonings involving substances in addition to alcohol, and suicides) accounted for more than half of the years of potential life lost.
Excessive drinking is a leading cause of preventable death in the United States, and it is also costly. It cost the nation $249 billion in 2010 (the most recent year of data available).

But meanwhile, some people are still like:

Weed advocates don’t like the distinction between weed and alcohol, but it exists. Alcohol can be imbibed without the drinker getting high/drunk. Recreational weed is to get high. You may not care about that distinction, but it exists, nevertheless.

See I don't know about this either. I don't know a single drinker who does so because of the pure taste and nothing else. Everyone who drinks does so because it "takes the edge off", in some way. The degree to which this is done is what turns it from harmless to a problem.

TBH Alcohol and weed and the more serious drugs, are all used in some degree to delay life's responsibilities. "I put the kids to bed and instead of doing the laundry, I'm going to relax with a glass of wine". Just my take on it, at least.

You can smoke weed without getting high. That requires you to not take too many hits but it works the same way as alcohol where limited doses decrease the high/buzz.

Just because a drug isn't inherently deadly to one's organs, doesn't mean it's not still harmful. Everyone knows the burnouts from high school who fried their brains because they were stoned all the time. Drive through an urban area. Take note of how many cars are driving by smoking weed, how many people are walking down the street smoking weed. That would be a problem if it's alcohol.. why is it OK if it's weed?

There are some people out there who use these things to just stay in a cloud for the entire day. My issue with the pro-weed movement lately is that they think this doesn't apply to their choice of drug.

Yeah I think that's how we have to look at it. 9 out or 10 people are fine with it, and that's why we've legalized it, and why it SHOULD be legalized. But you'll always have that 1 person who can't handle themselves on it.
The issue we have now is that a lot of states are controlled by these "1 out of 10 people" who can't get over themselves and let it finally be legalized. I'm not even a weed smoker, I just think it's silly that people are making their personal beliefs the deciding factor in what happens instead of following what the majority of people want.

See I don't know about this either. I don't know a single drinker who does so because of the pure taste and nothing else. Everyone who drinks does so because it "takes the edge off", in some way. The degree to which this is done is what turns it from harmless to a problem.

TBH Alcohol and weed and the more serious drugs, are all used in some degree to delay life's responsibilities. "I put the kids to bed and instead of doing the laundry, I'm going to relax with a glass of wine". Just my take on it, at least.
I drink wine and beer, because I like the taste. I would drink it if it was not alcoholic. I have tried nonalcoholic beers hoping they would be as good and I just have not found one that compares. I have read the “takes the edge off” in this thread more than I have ever heard that saying uttered and I have never thought about any edge when I drink, which I mainly only do with meals.

You can smoke weed without getting high. That requires you to not take too many hits but it works the same way as alcohol where limited doses decrease the high/buzz.
Your tolerance to weed is reversed from most drugs. So, you may smoke weed and not get high early on, but your comment is the first time I have ever heard someone take THC for a purpose other than experiencing a high.

I drink wine and beer, because I like the taste. I would drink it if it was not alcoholic. I have tried nonalcoholic beers hoping they would be as good and I just have not found one that compares. I have read the “takes the edge off” in this thread more than I have ever heard that saying uttered and I have never thought about any edge when I drink, which I mainly only do with meals.

You would be the first person I've met, who willingly drinks alcohol purely for the taste, while dealing with the waste of the added calories, and getting nothing out of the effects of the alcohol.

Even if this was true, you're 1 in a million, and the fact remains that the vast majority of people drink alcohol because it gives them some sort of "high".

You would be the first person I've met, who willingly drinks alcohol purely for the taste, while dealing with the waste of the added calories, and getting nothing out of the effects of the alcohol.

Even if this was true, you're 1 in a million, and the fact remains that the vast majority of people drink alcohol because it gives them some sort of "high".
“Even if this was true.” Nice.

I don’t think I am 1 in a million. But, I welcome your source for that.

The calorie comment is kind of odd. I know people who drink soda, sweet tea, milk, and any number of high calorie liquids and I have not heard them questioned as to whether they drink those things for the taste.

“Even if this was true.” Nice.

I don’t think I am 1 in a million. But, I welcome your source for that.

The calorie comment is kind of odd. I know people who drink soda, sweet tea, milk, and any number of high calorie liquids and I have not heard them questioned as to whether they drink those things for the taste.

I mean, no I don't really believe you lol. I find it hard to believe you aren't drinking alcohol for at least SOME of the effect it has.

If people weren't drinking alcohol for the buzz it gives, then we'd have something called "soda bars" sprinkled every other block or so across America.

People drink because of the effect it has, lets not kid ourselves.

Your tolerance to weed is reversed from most drugs. So, you may smoke weed and not get high early on, but your comment is the first time I have ever heard someone take THC for a purpose other than experiencing a high.
Maybe I misinterpreted what you were trying to say so I guess that's on me but regardless my whole comment was just saying that weed can be smoked without experiencing a high. I'm not saying that that wasn't the purpose but that it just can be done.

I mean, no I don't really believe you lol. I find it hard to believe you aren't drinking alcohol for at least SOME of the effect it has.

If people weren't drinking alcohol for the buzz it gives, then we'd have something called "soda bars" sprinkled every other block or so across America.

People drink because of the effect it has, lets not kid ourselves.
The point, as I am proof, is that alcohol can be imbibed without drinking to or for a buzz. Recreational THC is taken for the high. I think there are many people like myself who wish there was no impact of alcohol. If I feel any impact, I usually stop drinking.

I would not legalize weed, but it’s not some priority in my life. I know people who have gatewayed from weed to addiction, but I know many who have not. I also know people who were psychologically addicted to weed, believing they could not get though their day without being high. And, I know the infrequent user who just likes to get high occasionally.

I simply doubt it is harmless as declared by weed advocates. Time will tell.

• Haha
Reactions: Get Bucket$
As someone who drinks about once a month I absolutely get a buzz off of one glass of wine or one beer. I’ve also never in my life have ever encountered anyone that drinks alcohol for the taste. Not saying it’s not true but it’s about .01% of alcohol drinkers.

Take note of how many cars are driving by smoking weed, how many people are walking down the street smoking weed. That would be a problem if it's alcohol.. why is it OK if it's weed?

I can think of about 140,000 reasons.

And I don't see anyone here arguing that smoking 24/7 is acceptable. Staying stoned all day is just as bad for one's mind as drinking all of the time is for one's body and mind.

Reactions: chroix
Whether it becomes legal or not, I'm getting tired of all the people driving and smoking. Almost on a daily basis I have to make sure to turn the outside air off in my truck due to my cabin smelling like pot. Guy in front of me on my way to work last friday was sparking some strong stuff. And this is coming from someone who sees no problem with weed. As with alcohol, don't use while driving people.

Hold on bro, I like you man, but you went to the Book Of Mormon that was written by the guys that wrote South Park and you were annoyed there were stoners there laughing?

What in the actual eff did you expect? And the adults with wine sat there all stoic? I’m pretty sure the creators of that show wanted you to be laughing in your seat.

Also, I don’t know many people
At all that think it’s okay to be stoned all day. Not my gym buddies or productive entrepreneur friends, that’s for sure. Smoke, ingest at night after they’re done for the day or on the weekend, sure but none that I know of are firing up at 4:30a to start the day.

Reactions: DanCat17
Those of us who know, know.

Those of us who don’t, post reefer madness articles from a politics site.

In summary: Emphysema is bad. So is cirrhosis of the liver. So is heart disease. Reconsider the legality of beer and Whoppers too. That’s the tone I take from this scare piece for old people.

Yes, children shouldn’t eat edibles. Children also shouldn’t drink alcohol. That falls on the adult user who is legally allowed to buy the products. Liquor is usually stored in a safe place in the home where kids can’t get to it. Do the same with the reefer. I don’t have kids and store my edibles and flower in a lockable safe. Problem solved.

The youth use stats are bullshit. The only difference is marijuana use is less taboo than 30 years ago so the data is more accurate. From age 14-20 in mid 1990s rural Kentucky, it was easier for me to get a bag of weed than a case of beer or bottle if bourbon. Legal markets require ID to even enter a dispensary, so if “the children” (faints) are getting legal weed, it’s being supplied to them by a legal adult similar to the way I used to procure cigs and booze as a teenager.

Legalization makes the product safer than buying on the street. Dispensaries ain’t selling fentanyl laced Mexican brick weed. That’s the black market.

We know the risks associated with fatty foods, tobacco and alcohol. All of those things are perfectly legal. Two of three are advertised heavily every day. Why single out cannabis? It should be fairly obvious that routinely inhaling anything other than oxygen can cause lung damage. It’s not like anyone smoked two joints and now has emphysema. That condition takes years, if not decades, of heavy use to develop.
At least more that five decades to get sick......and counting.....

Hold on bro, I like you man, but you went to the Book Of Mormon that was written by the guys that wrote South Park and you were annoyed there were stoners there laughing?

What in the actual eff did you expect? And the adults with wine sat there all stoic? I’m pretty sure the creators of that show wanted you to be laughing in your seat.

Also, I don’t know many people
At all that think it’s okay to be stoned all day. Not my gym buddies or productive entrepreneur friends, that’s for sure. Smoke, ingest at night after they’re done for the day or on the weekend, sure but none that I know of are firing up at 4:30a to start the day.

It was "too stoned to be at an early evening show" type of high. They were borderline tweaking. And they were obnoxious to the point that everyone around them was shooting them looks and getting annoyed.

Oh everyone was laughing hysterically at the play.. that part is fine. It's when there would be pauses in the play that the stoned girl behind me would burst out laughing cause she finally caught up with the joke 5 seconds before.

It's hard to articulate just how annoying it was, but even my meek quiet-as-a-mouse wife finally said, out loud, "Jesus will they shut up?!". It was 2 guys and a girl, and in my head all I thought was how am I going to deal with this if it escalates.

Last edited:
It was "too stoned to be at an early evening show" type of high. They were borderline tweaking. And they were obnoxious to the point that everyone around them was shooting them looks and getting annoyed.

Oh everyone was laughing hysterically at the play.. that part isnfine. It's when there would be pauses in the play that the stoned girl behind me would burst out laughing cause she finally caught up with the joke 5 seconds before.
I gotcha, the way I first understood it I was thinking you maybe didn’t know what you were walking into. I guess just like anything, handle your buzz gang.

That musical is hilarious.

Sounds like the middle aged people there need to get a sense of humor and laugh a little. I couldn't imagine sitting quiet and not laughing throughout that musical.

ADVERTISEMENT