ADVERTISEMENT

We need to grab an elite point guard, now.

Hickman was measured this fall at 6-3.5 (in shoes) with a 6-6.5 wingspan. He averaged 17.3 points, 3.4 assists, 3.7 rebounds and 2.0 steals per game as a high school junior, making 38 percent of his three-point attempts. For his senior season, he’s moved to Utah to play for Wasatch Academy, a high school team that plays a national schedule. Last summer, he had a 2.4-1 assist-to-turnover ratio on the highly competitive Nike circuit, where he was teammates with Banchero and other high-level players.

His demeanor reminds me of Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. Nothing SGA or Nolan does looks difficult. Neither guy gets sped up — they force others to adapt to their pace. You always feel like something good is about to happen when the ball is in their hands.” — Pro Insight analyst Matt McKay

Theoretically, Collins will be our best player next year, he's the 10th ranked recruit. Oscar was the 18th ranked recruit, but he does have a year and a half at WVa that will help. Brooks is a roll player and everyone else of note will be gone.

The fact that there aren't any great players at any of the other 4 spots, reinforces the notion that we HAVE to get a dog at the 1. Hickman ain't it.

I do hope Cal sticks with this wide open offense. Shoot the 3 if it's an open shot. It works.
I think Toppin will be back. He's really improved through out the year and looks like he has a lot of potential. I think he can be really good for us. But poor PG play will really limit him and the rest of the team.

An elite PG for next year would be really nice but I don't know where we will find one. I don't think we have to have an elite PG to be a good team, as long as we have a team and not a collection of players. This years team seems to have no cohesiveness as well as poor PG play. Hopefully Mintz and Askew come back. Those two plus Hickman would be a good start at PG. Mintz has been good lately and there's no reason to think he can't get better. Askew can be a good player and a good PG but he sure isn't right now. He needs time and coaching and who knows whether that will be here.

But Cal is going to have to change his offensive philosophy to something any PG can run. When your entire offense is predicated on someone breaking down the defense to create offense, it's a disaster when you don't have that player. If he could actually run some offensive sets that create an advantage for our players instead of a bunch wasted movement (like the weave out top), we wouldn't have to have a Wall or Fox type talent. But if Cal isn't going to realize his offense is part of the problem and we don't get a elite PG, it will be a continued disaster.

If Collins is the best player next season, this season might start looking a lot better.
I figure he could be a slight step up from Jackson, but he'll also have Oscar in the frontcourt with him. Jackson doesn't have that advantage.

But yeah, Collins can't be our best player, that distinction needs to go to the point guard. Hopefully Cal lands a good one.

Reactions: RunninRichie
We got one. His name is Hickman. End of story. Us sane fans find it amusing reading all of you negative Nancy's post. Please keep it up...we need some comic relief...
Hickman is a 4* kid, he's not going to come in here and beat seasoned college guards. You're certainly a sane individual, but you're also very oblivious.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I think Toppin will be back. He's really improved through out the year and looks like he has a lot of potential. I think he can be really good for us. But poor PG play will really limit him and the rest of the team.

An elite PG for next year would be really nice but I don't know where we will find one. I don't think we have to have an elite PG to be a good team, as long as we have a team and not a collection of players. This years team seems to have no cohesiveness as well as poor PG play. Hopefully Mintz and Askew come back. Those two plus Hickman would be a good start at PG. Mintz has been good lately and there's no reason to think he can't get better. Askew can be a good player and a good PG but he sure isn't right now. He needs time and coaching and who knows whether that will be here.

But Cal is going to have to change his offensive philosophy to something any PG can run. When your entire offense is predicated on someone breaking down the defense to create offense, it's a disaster when you don't have that player. If he could actually run some offensive sets that create an advantage for our players instead of a bunch wasted movement (like the weave out top), we wouldn't have to have a Wall or Fox type talent. But if Cal isn't going to realize his offense is part of the problem and we don't get a elite PG, it will be a continued disaster.
I'd be willing to bet that there will be several really good point guards in the transfer portal. If Pippen goes to the portal, Cal needs to get him.

Heck, louisville grabbed a kid out of the portal, Carlik Jones. He can get the the rim at will. He single handedly beat Duke last week. Kid was a 2* pg out of hs, but after 4 years at mid major level, he turned into a damn good guard. A guy like him would have changed our 20/21 team tremendously

I'd be willing to bet that there will be several really good point guards in the transfer portal. If Pippen goes to the portal, Cal needs to get him.

Heck, louisville grabbed a kid out of the portal, Carlik Jones. He can get the the rim at will. He single handedly beat Duke last week. Kid was a 2* pg out of hs, but after 4 years at mid major level, he turned into a damn good guard. A guy like him would have changed our 20/21 team tremendously
Same thought process. If you can't get that guy from high school then attack the portal and find a proven guard. Hickman may be great but you can't roll the dice. Also competition never hurt anybody and this team needs guards for next year.

We need four portal transfers to complete class
No way I take anymore high schoolers unless top 5 talents
There will be a transfer/grad transfer PG out there that will be better than Sallis, Hickman and for sure Askew, Cal and staff just have to do their homework and find him. The only question I have at this point is do they have a hard time getting a top PG because Hickman and Askew are already here. I think Cal needs to have a long talk with Askew, just not sure it’s gonna work out for him here.

Are there any really good junior point guards who can score and might be a grad transfer candidate

There will be a transfer/grad transfer PG out there that will be better than Sallis, Hickman and for sure Askew, Cal and staff just have to do their homework and find him. The only question I have at this point is do they have a hard time getting a top PG because Hickman and Askew are already here. I think Cal needs to have a long talk with Askew, just not sure it’s gonna work out for him here.
Regardless of how Askew develops as a PG going forward (I happen to think he'll be a solid college PG in the future), I don't see any reason he couldn't play 2G, or be more of a combo guard. He has the frame and was a good shooter in high school, and given his reported work ethic, why couldn't he develop into a fine college combo guard (playing PG or 2G as the situation arises)? 2Gs no more athletic, or even less athletic, than Askew show up as big contributors for top college teams every year - heck, if he was at Iowa he might have been the most athletic guard they have. The difference is they're afforded the patience to develop into upperclassmen.

They are def out there, the PG for UL is a perfect example, he will prob be ACC player of the year.

Yeah, he’s very good but why on earth would he leave UL to come to this (current) dumpster fire?

Is Mack a better evaluator of Talent than John Calipari these days?

At one time Calipari was great but lately it just seems like he casts a wide net out of offers and scoops up as many 2nd tier 5 stars and 4 stars as he can. Basically whoever will sign without really trying to build a cohesive team based on needs, longevity, to run an offense etc. Now granted, John Calipari doesn’t actually run an offense- he is more of a “go make a play” but still.

Well, guess we need to load up and head to Point Guards R Us. It’s apparently time to start shopping.

Agreed- but with the inevitable mass exodus yet again I just can’t see a seasoned and polished PG wanting to come here especially coming off the worst season in Kentucky basketball history. To come in and try and lead an entirely brand new team of 2nd tier freshman? While not really running or playing any type of actual offense?

We should remember that the three point guards who returned... Harrison, Ulis and Hagans... all got better in some regard.

Harrison was more poised, not as many mistakes. Helped the team to 38-0.
Ulis proved his value, played about as best you can for an undersized sophomore PG.
Hagans, while a head case, was a lot better his sophomore year, and he had us in the top10 to finish out the season.

Hard to say if Askew can take that big step forward.. but I definitely think it's possible. Look at his issues this year.. it wasn't REALLY a lack of elite athleticism... it was mental lapses. Wonky passes. bad decisions. These are the things that normally get fixed in the off season.

Last edited:
Agreed- but with the inevitable mass exodus yet again I just can’t see a seasoned and polished PG wanting to come here especially coming off the worst season in Kentucky basketball history. To come in and try and lead an entirely brand new team of 2nd tier freshman? While not really running or playing any type of actual offense?
I was being facetious. I was making fun of people that seem to think we can just pluck up a difference making PG out of the blue. And I agree that there’s no reason for a great point guard to transfer here at this point. We had a historically bad season and there’s nothing that guarantees next year will be any better at this point. A top notch player at any position usually wants to transfer to a program that’s in contention for the title. Right now that isn’t us.

Yeah, he’s very good but why on earth would he leave UL to come to this (current) dumpster fire?

Is Mack a better evaluator of Talent than John Calipari these days?

At one time Calipari was great but lately it just seems like he casts a wide net out of offers and scoops up as many 2nd tier 5 stars and 4 stars as he can. Basically whoever will sign without really trying to build a cohesive team based on needs, longevity, to run an offense etc. Now granted, John Calipari doesn’t actually run an offense- he is more of a “go make a play” but still.
I wasn't saying he would come to UK, just an example of a mid major transfer that was an immediate impact player. I am sure you are gonna see guys in the NCAA Tournament that fit this mold.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
We got one. His name is Hickman. End of story. Us sane fans find it amusing reading all of you negative Nancy's post. Please keep it up...we need some comic relief...

Have you seen him play ? I have not and was just wondering if you or anyone else had.

You're out of your mind if you think Hickman, who is a 4* kid, ranked in the 30's, is going to come in and take over at pg. Completely out of your mind. He's in the same mold as Askew, only he can dunk. He's a 3 or 4 year guy.

Cal needs to get Sallis or maybe get Pippen out of the transfer portal. He can't roll the dice on another high school/AAU kid that isn't ready. If you think Hickman is going to be good enough, it tells me you are 100% an Indiana fan, because you certainly have the mindset of one.

Jeff I keep seeing this on here, has Pippen incanted that he wanted to transfer ?

Jeff I keep seeing this on here, has Pippen incanted that he wanted to transfer ?
I'm just going off what a lot of others have been saying.
Pippen really wanted to come to UK and things really aren't working out too well at Vanderbilt, do my guess is, some people think he might just transfer out.

I'm just going off what a lot of others have been saying.
Pippen really wanted to come to UK and things really aren't working out too well at Vanderbilt, do my guess is, some people think he might just transfer out.
Plus, isn't there talk about Stackhouse being on the hot-seat at Vandy? If there's any truth to that, and Stackhouse is fired shortly, then I really start taking seriously the possibility of a Pippen Jr. transfer.

I was being facetious. I was making fun of people that seem to think we can just pluck up a difference making PG out of the blue. And I agree that there’s no reason for a great point guard to transfer here at this point. We had a historically bad season and there’s nothing that guarantees next year will be any better at this point. A top notch player at any position usually wants to transfer to a program that’s in contention for the title. Right now that isn’t us.

Oh right. Duh. It’s Monday- I’m sluggish today.

Reactions: BourbonBalz
My question is why didn’t we go after Carlik Jones? Cal needs a backup at every position and refuses to do it as he fears one of these backups may be better than the precious 5 stars that he promised playing time to.

My question is why didn’t we go after Carlik Jones? Cal needs a backup at every position and refuses to do it as he fears one of these backups may be better than the precious 5 stars that he promised playing time to.
To be honest, I can't blame him for not going after Jones, the kid doesn't have great measurables, he's not very athletic and he was a 2* kid just a few years ago.

Plus, if Cal thought Askew was going to be good enough to run point this season, maybe his player evaluation skills have diminished… .I kid.

Hickman is a scoring point guard ala Knight. He is a more athletic than Askew so he should be able to stay in front of the other team's guards. Askew will be backing this boy up. For those trying to downplay him, their is a reason he was named a burger boy.
Careful. The “guy coming next year” is always popular around here. Askew was ranked ahead of Hickman....

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Askew is a multi-year player, and he will be a solid PG next year.
The kid works hard, and is slowly getting better. This is NORMAL. We need to quit running these kids off, or stop demanding we recruit over them because they aren't John Wall. KIDS CAN GET BETTER AFTER THEIR FIRST YEAR. Askew will, because It appears he has a good work ethic. Also wouldn't surprise me if he continues to grow several more inches.

Reactions: Boozer93
U could put Magic Johnson on this team. They would still be a bad team. Askew can be good but it isn’t his fault he was handed the keys to a hoopty when he wasn’t ready.

Individually the players have potential, but if your plan is to throw a group together with no experience you are asking for trouble.

100% of this year’s train wreck is on the Coach. Give him a chance to fix it. If he doesn’t, give someone else a chance.

Reactions: jace2012
Don’t see
Askew is a multi-year player, and he will be a solid PG next year.
The kid works hard, and is slowly getting better. This is NORMAL. We need to quit running these kids off, or stop demanding we recruit over them because they aren't John Wall. KIDS CAN GET BETTER AFTER THEIR FIRST YEAR. Askew will, because It appears he has a good work ethic. Also wouldn't surprise me if he continues to grow several more inches.

Tough to see Askew as an elite PG in the SEC.

After watching the debacle that was Askew during the ol'miss game I recalled a quote from an article about De-Arron Fox. That made me think we needed to find a big time guard for next year so I went and checked some things out.

2010 -Wall (EE)
2011 - Knight (FF)
2012 - Teague (Title)
2013 - Harrow (NIT)
2014 - Harrison (FInals)
2015 - Harrison (FF)
2016 - Ulis (SW16)
2017 - Fox (SIGH)​
2018 - Green / Alexander (SW16)
2019 - Haggins (EE)
2020 - Haggins (COVID)
2021 - Askew (LOL)
2021-22 - ?

Above is a, probably, unnecessary rundown of UK point guards come tourney time over the years. I listed this to show that when UK has a true competent point guard who can operate autonomously, the team run well and achieves to a high level. Note that during the NIT and this year we have had abysmal point guard play. If Cal had sat Green earlier and let Alexander play, imo that 2018 team would have been better than they were. Those who think we were winning a title with Haggins last year are nuts. He went off the rails and Quickley could only carry us so far. A shot yes, win no.

Consider these quotes from the Fox article earlier last year.

"That’s why he wants guards like John (Wall) and myself and B-Knight, Tyler Ulis. The way that he coaches, it’s like absolute freedom."

“He’ll put up X’s and O’s but at the end of the day, everything’s going to end up in a pick and roll or isolation. That’s what the NBA is too."

I also recall a similar statement from Andrew Harrison in an article from around 2016. We all know how riding and dying with Harrison turned out. I'm to lazy to look it up but it's out there somewhere. Point is, it appears that Cal doesn't really coach plays or sets. Well, DUH. Even when he does the players don't pay attention. Remember James Young forgetting the play and just hoisting a shot? Cal needs an elite point guard that can basically show up and immediately run the whole show. Otherwise, see year 2013, 2018, and the present.

Currently UK has a second year Askew and an incoming freshman Nolan Hickman. Askew has shown the BBN nothing. Less than nothing? I don't have much faith in the kid; hope I am wrong.

Hickman is a 4 star ranked 28th and rising. He is a current MDAA and is supposed to be just a decent shooter and good leader. Attitude wise he has drawn some comparison to Ulis, but he has had a bad knee injury which concerns me a bit. He is really raw though. Not sure about his immediate impact. Not sure how he will mesh with Askew either.

Right now on the draft board, there are no point guards left. The only guards are combo guards like Hardy(6'4 SG), Salis(6'3 CG), Keels(6'3 SG)

Hardy appears to be gone to the G-League, Salis is leaning hard to Gonzaga, and Keels is who the hell knows, but no offers from UK. Of the three on the list, Salis is by far and away the most important of the bunch. He is the only thing close to a point guard left in the class, and unless Cal has some foreign born ace up his sleeve, or Hickman turns out to be another Alexander/Ulis in disguise, UK's immediate future might just ride on getting this Salis kid into a UK jersey.

Cal needs to get on a plane as soon as this season is over, which will be real soon, and make a direct face to face plea for this kid to come to Kentucky. If he has any snake oil left in his bottle he needs to spread that shit all over and get this kid a scholly like yesterday. If not, UK might just see a repeat of this year, next year.
we have had one elite point guard sense world wide wes and cal parted ways and that was fox.

There was a point just before the NCAA tourney where the light bulb went off for Teague and he just transcended into the next level of point guard. I can't recall seeing that kind of extreme transformation very often.

Yes, I do know where we can find one. He resides in Ohama Nebraska and his name is Hunter Sallis. That is the place that Cal needs to have a plane booked to visit rikki tik.

Mintz isn't coming back, man. I will freely admit that I have no idea what he has planned but I just don't see it happening. That $ lure is just too strong, and why wouldn't it be.

Boston said he would be the best Wildcat to ever play the game. I guess he still could be but...

Unlike in football where someone like Josh Allen or Benny Snell can have three years to develop, Cal's system demands that we have the best possible now. I'm not sleeping on Hickman. I hope he's great. I'm just saying that Sallis is the best possible solution at this point.
What $ is luring Mintz? He has been on record as being in a 2 year graduate degree program and would like to finish that. So he may return to do just that. It's still unknown if he will or not, but I wouldn't be shocked if he does. I think he's preparing himself for life after basketball.

Thanks to you and Cal there is no shortage of comic relief surrounding this program.

ADVERTISEMENT