ADVERTISEMENT

We need to grab an elite point guard, now.

Thanks to you and Cal there is no shortage of comic relief surrounding this program.
LmdCat, I'm coming into the middle of a conversation and probably don't understand the exact point, but are you saying you don't like Hickman as a recruit?

In general, I'm opposed to UK relying on any freshman to carry the scoring load and any freshman to play PG. Sometimes it works if other pieces are experienced and good enough, but it's usually not going to produce a great result.

That being said, I think Hickman is a great PG recruit who has a good chance of becoming a very good college PG in time. Personally, he's my favorite PG in the class (along with Kennedy Chandler) when everything is considered - e.g., not expected to be OAD, good shooter, good passer, can get in the lane, etc.

Reactions: MbergCat
If I recall we took Askew from a sure fire louisville commitment after Cade slipped from our fingers and they had to find another guard and got Jones in transfer market
Stuff happens

“This new guy we’ve never seen play is the answer!”

must be spring time
I’m not trying to be an ass or anything but you don’t want a transfer and you don’t want a freshman (neither do I btw) so what do you suppose UK does at the point guard spot?

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
I’m not trying to be an ass or anything but you don’t want a transfer and you don’t want a freshman (neither do I btw) so what do you suppose UK does at the point guard spot?
Don’t get me wrong, I want Cal to load up the best he can. I’m just going to wait and see what happens and expect things to be better but still not good enough. It’s just funny to read all these “this next guy is the answer” posts. It’s Groundhog Day.

Don’t get me wrong, I want Cal to load up the best he can. I’m just going to wait and see what happens and expect things to be better but still not good enough. It’s just funny to read all these “this next guy is the answer” posts. It’s Groundhog Day.

Our PGs over Cal’s tenure:

Wall
Knight
Teague
Harrow
Harrison
Ullis
Fox
SGA
Hagans
Quickley
Askew

Ok then take Quickley off of the list if you would like.

Add the others I said and I’m fine. Makes @STL_Cat’s point that not every PG recruit is John Wall.

Last few years:

Green/SGA
Green/Hagans
Hagans/Quickley
Askew/Mintz

The backup has turned out better every year. Maybe this year could’ve been a bit better if Cal ditched his underachieving PG like he did mid year in 2018 and 2019. Instead he waited until the last 2 games.

Next year may come down to roster management (or mismanagement), Cal has to not break his promises again he made in 2013 and not be held hostage by his players.

Never have figured out the fascination that has developed over the last 10 - 12 years or so with the application of the word "elite" to a person who plays the game of basketball.

Do any of these guys fit today's use of the term "elite":

Kyle Macy?
Anthony Epps?
Wayne Turner?
Marquis Teague?

Add the others I said and I’m fine. Makes @STL_Cat’s point that not every PG recruit is John Wall.

I don’t care if you’re fine or not. I will not add the others, just take off quickley and that’s the list of our PGs under Cal. I don’t know what STL cats point was other than him saying it was like Groundhog Day when we’ve had completely different (and like 8) types of PGs over the years. 8/10 have been good, It’s like groundhogs day.

I don’t care if you’re fine or not. I will not add the others, just take off quickley and that’s the list of our PGs under Cal. I don’t know what STL cats point was other than him saying it was like Groundhog Day when we’ve had completely different (and like 8) types of PGs over the years. 8/10 have been good, It’s like groundhogs day.
My point about Groundhog’s Day wasn’t specific to PGs. It was more to the “this guy will save the day!” posts about recruits every year. We didn’t need KJ to return, because THE DRAGON is coming! Oh wait, we’re glad TGE DRAGON left, Terrence Clarke and BJ Boston are on the way! Devin askew is a taller Tyler Ulis!

the hype of the next guy saving the day is what I was referring to

Ive added the others already and did the analysis, you’re welcome ;)

The backups have been better 4 years in a row now. That’s a pattern.

My point about Groundhog’s Day wasn’t specific to PGs. It was more to the “this guy will save the day!” posts about recruits every year. We didn’t need KJ to return, because THE DRAGON is coming! Oh wait, we’re glad TGE DRAGON left, Terrence Clarke and BJ Boston are on the way! Devin askew is a taller Tyler Ulis!

the hype of the next guy saving the day is what I was referring to

I just assumed it was specific to PGs since that’s what the entire thread was talking about. I agree we need more player retention and that’s been the missing piece over the years.

Hickman is legit but I still think we need another true point guard. Either a freshman, TY TY Washington or a transfer, Kellan Grady possibly Powell, would be good. We need another 2 guard, Grady and Powell could fit there as well but Noah Locke would be a good pick up. If we get two of the Locke, Powell, Grady or Washington group, I think we are good to go.

The original point of this thread has been totally lost. The point is this. In Cal's current system it takes an Elite point guard to function correctly. In today's game, elite means having the skills to score at will, pass sometimes, direct traffic, and the confidence to use the afore mentioned skills.

I'm sure we will never agree about elite this and that, and I can write up a big log winded blah blah thing about all this, but just look at the table I listed. Our first five points, minus harrow, were elite. Cal's system found success with them even though some of those teams really lacked other great players.

Everyone loves Ulis, me included, but he was not elite. Fox was getting there at the end of the season, but he was not at the start. Monk saved our ass in more than a few games. No one on the bottom end of the list was elite either. There in lies the problem.

If we can't find that kind of PG in the portal, or by some miracle get Hardy to come here, then we are in deep shit yet again. I guess Askew might somehow transform into a badass, super confident, assassin but I just don't see it.

Hickman is legit but I still think we need another true point guard. Either a freshman, TY TY Washington or a transfer, Kellan Grady possibly Powell, would be good. We need another 2 guard, Grady and Powell could fit there as well but Noah Locke would be a good pick up. If we get two of the Locke, Powell, Grady or Washington group, I think we are good to go.
I agree with you about Hickman. I think he was the right high school PG to grab. I also wouldn't mind picking up another PG, but only if it's a proven college PG - and there are/will be a few good ones in the transfer portal. Ty Ty Washington is not what UK needs in my opinion. They don't need another freshman PG, even if it means only Hickman and Askew are the only PGs on the roster next season. At this point, the only remaining high school player I hope UK nabs for next season is Podziemsky (to develop, not play right away).

I think the focus needs to be fully on experienced scoring very good shooting 2Gs - you can call them combo guards, wings, whatever, for me they just need to be able to shoot a good 3 pt. shot, get their own shot, and handle and move the ball well. I like Powell, Grady and Mintz. But there are others coming out every day (e.g., would Locke from FL be a good option?).

Yeah, but don't you agree that we need to break the cycle of asking non transcendent freshmen to man the guard positions?

None of the guys you listed, are in the John Wall, Fox, Ulis, and Knight club, none of them are going to be good enough to compete against legit junior and senior guards.

If we had a team full of guys that have been in the system for 2 or three years, that's one thing, but, at most, we're going to have 1 three year guy (Brooks) and a bunch of sophomores. I really think the ball needs to be in the hands of a battle tested, legit point guard.

Let Hickman, who is rated in the 30's in his class, sit behind someone and learn for a while before tossing him into the volcano.

At some point, we all have to learn to stop thinking the next freshman is going to be this great player. We have now seen a lot of top 10 kids not perform up to expectations, I can't imagine a kid ranked in the 30's is some kind of a John Wall.

Do you want to be a contender, or do you want to be an also-ran?

Why do you need 4 point guards on your team? Askew, Mintz, Hickman +1?

Why do you need 4 point guards on your team? Askew, Mintz, Hickman +1?
Mintz isn’t a pg, Askew is still two years away from being able to successfully man the pg spot and Hickman is a hs kid ranked in the 30's.

If UK is to be a contender next year, Cal needs to get a legit pg with college experience. A guy like Abmas would flip the script for UK.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
That’s our nature as UK fans, even the off season is exciting to us. I’m not saying we are the only fan base that does this but I’ll bet we are the most passionate so much that we argue amongst each other about the coach.
We love our team during the season and we love to follow our recruiting prospects during the off season. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy since we build up our recruits and we break them down if they don’t live up to our standards, nature of the beast of being a UK fan I guess.

Reactions: G-PIP
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT