ADVERTISEMENT

We gave up 85 points to a community college

Oct 30, 2009
Most are saying we lost because our guards didn't hit shots. We lost because we couldn't stop them, got back doored, let them shoot over 50%. And we didn't have a rim protector so team D was more important.

It's hard for me to defend Cal as I've done all year when the most obvious swing thought in the game should have been to stiffen our D. At the first 4 minute time out the TV announcer gal asks Cal what he was going to change on defense now that St Peters was scoring at will and he ignores her and goes to his talking points that we need to "play loose" and his players "haven't been here before." What he needed to say is he's gonna kick some ass and tell them to bulldog guard those damn upstarts. Instead of saying anybody who doesn't shoot comes out, say "anybody who gets backdoored comes out."

Against inferior talent, if you just make it harder for them to score, Oscar will get his and talent will win.

The defense was definitely the bigger issue, but the offense was pretty pathetic as well. We missed 5/6 FTs, again sucked from 3, and did the same stupid turnovers we did all season. It was a perfect storm of ineptitude all around for UK last night and that is what it takes to lose to a 15 seed usually.

This team was never going that far without a solid rim protector/shot blocker. It's a staple of all good Calipari teams. Oscar, for as good as he was, just wasn't a strong defender, particularly at the rim.

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
This team was never going that far without a solid rim protector/shot blocker. It's a staple of all good Calipari teams. Oscar, for as good as he was, just wasn't a strong defender, particularly at the rim.
O wasn't horrible but rim protecting isn't his strong suit for sure.

Tough loss for UK last night; however, the Cats are much better than they were last season. At least the SEC still has 5 teams remaining in the tournament. I think that one of them will probably end up in the final four.

Most are saying we lost because our guards didn't hit shots. We lost because we couldn't stop them, got back doored, let them shoot over 50%. And we didn't have a rim protector so team D was more important.

It's hard for me to defend Cal as I've done all year when the most obvious swing thought in the game should have been to stiffen our D. At the first 4 minute time out the TV announcer gal asks Cal what he was going to change on defense now that St Peters was scoring at will and he ignores her and goes to his talking points that we need to "play loose" and his players "haven't been here before." What he needed to say is he's gonna kick some ass and tell them to bulldog guard those damn upstarts. Instead of saying anybody who doesn't shoot comes out, say "anybody who gets backdoored comes out."

Against inferior talent, if you just make it harder for them to score, Oscar will get his and talent will win.
Maybe because Grady was looking at his man's ass all night, he was behind chasing his man all night. St. Peter's scouted UK and basically nailed the cats with back cuts, lane cuts because we spent too much time either trying to switch or got caught chasing them from behind. Calipari choked and failed to use his bench much at all. Face it Cal was outcoached big time by a guy who makes about 200 grand a year.

Reactions: BlueThunderstruck

Cal not going to change a thing....keep losing and keep collecting $10 million a year....THANKS Barney.

Cal had Collins on the bench all year, that's your shot blocker. Cal and 4 hand picked, high paid assistants had all fall and winter to figure out how to utilize him in situations like last night and never did it. Stick him in the middle of a zone for a few plays if the 5 coaches aren't talented enough to scheme against the back door cut, a play that's regularly taught to middle schoolers. Or figure something else out. Cal has coached over 1,000 D1 basketball games and he continues to be out smarted by up and coming coaches who should be the ones panicking and getting beat by basic Xs and Os. Add this to Evansville, Richmond, Robert Morris, etc etc etc. Since the Warriors changed basketball and freedom of movement became a thing a decade ago it's become a theme of Cal's tenure here.

This team may not have been loaded with NBA ready talent but it was absolutely loaded with high level college players who should never even be in a ballgame with a mid major team, much less a very bad one in St. Peter's. Cal throws guys like Collins, Hopkins, Allen, etc into games early in the year and pretends to give them a chance but when's the last time a starter lost favor for a bench player during the year regardless of play? Skal? He has no intentions of ever allowing those dudes the chance to get their feet under them and gain confidence like a coach is supposed to do. Toppin came in last night after Brooks turned it over twice at the beginning, went 3 for 3 from the floor and then goaltended because he was giving maximum effort on a chase down block and as they go to commercial Cal is screaming at him for the goaltend. Then Brooks proceeds to take the bulk of the minutes the rest of the way. Cal decided in August Brooks with the PF and play be damned Brooks was the PF. Just like man to man was the defense and mid range jumpers were 50% of the offense.

Reactions: hamidousvertical

Yes, that was a moment you don't forget. She asked the very question I would about the defense and he just blew it off. Everybody sees it but he isn't too bothered it seems. We have always left wide open threes and all their players driving almost at will, most coaches would have shown some disgust. It has never got better. Like it's no big deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT