ADVERTISEMENT

WE FLIPPED A UL Commit! Akeem Hayes commits to Kentucky!!!

They said he would play slot and returns kicks back for ul, hopefully he does the same for us now.

He did it right after Louisville lost to Florida in the CWS as well. I'm sure that's just a coincidence but it's a nice icing on the cake of card suffering this week.

So Howie is essentially saying if the kid stayed committed to U of L that his scholarship offer would be pulled, leaving him no choice but to commit to a second rate program like UK. Whatever!!

Reactions: Rockford
What's the scouting report say is his best asset as a player? Considering his smaller size, I expected him to have more speed/quickness on film, but the HUDL was only his sophomore year.

I am not doubting the coaches taking him (I think they're recruiting up to this point speaks for itself), but I am curious if anyone has read and/or heard much about his skill set.

1) Half of his teammates are present or future Cats.
2) He's no longer buying what U of L is selling... Charades, anyone?

Of course Howie Lindsey is saying L-Ville backed off for better prospects.

If Howie is telling the truth, then that sends a bad message about UofL coaching staff to prospective recruits, that is "we'll take your commitment now, until we find someone we like better."

Having said that, in reality the circumstances point to the fact that this was the kid's decision, not UofL's.

Of course Howie Lindsey is saying L-Ville backed off for better prospects.
Several posters on this thread seem to think it very important that Hayes "flipped" to us from UL. The way I see it, that doesn't even matter. We ought to think about his future impact in the SEC. This Howie guy might actually be right. Or maybe he isn't. Who cares? It's June, and this particular player is a 5-9 redshirt candidate. We don't know how firm UL's or UK's offer to Hayes is. The important thing will be what Hayes can bring to a deep, talented cornerback roster. It looks like Coach Gran is working the Hollywood pipeline pretty hard. I generally try not to judge a recruit until he has had a couple years in our program.

Several posters on this thread seem to think it very important that Hayes "flipped" to us from UL. The way I see it, that doesn't even matter. We ought to think about his future impact in the SEC. This Howie guy might actually be right. Or maybe he isn't. Who cares? It's June, and this particular player is a 5-9 redshirt candidate. We don't know how firm UL's or UK's offer to Hayes is. The important thing will be what Hayes can bring to a deep, talented cornerback roster. It looks like Coach Gran is working the Hollywood pipeline pretty hard. I generally try not to judge a recruit until he has had a couple years in our program.

Agreed, I don't care who he flipped from. Question for me is simple...can he help UK win games?

BTW, think he may be more a WR-type than CB.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
I'm hearing he's being recruited to play receiver - most likely slot, and a return guy. Don't think Stoops want's 5'9" guys at corner.
I agree, Stoops likes taller corners. Westry, Baity, Griffin. But if Hayes is going to be a receiver, it will be a similar situation. We are losing some seniors in 2017, but we will have a ton of very good receivers by the time Hayes finishes his redshirt. Just guessing, I don't think other slot receivers will play ahead of Bowden and Thomas for a while. It is normally very difficult for a 5-9 receiver to see significant playing time on an improving SEC football team with an offensive coordinator like Eddie Gran, who expects his receivers to block. When a team with a rapidly improving roster takes a commitment from a 5-9 guy, there is a reason. Maybe his run tool is elite. But if that was the case, it's doubtful he would be a 5.6 on the Rivals scale. Elite speed generally gets 4 stars. Maybe the kid is the best punt returner in Florida. Maybe Coach Gran is going all in to pull players out of that area of Florida. It's also possible that Hayes might not have a firm offer. I'm not saying that is true, since I don't know anything about him.

I agree, Stoops likes taller corners. Westry, Baity, Griffin. But if Hayes is going to be a receiver, it will be a similar situation. We are losing some seniors in 2017, but we will have a ton of very good receivers by the time Hayes finishes his redshirt. Just guessing, I don't think other slot receivers will play ahead of Bowden and Thomas for a while. It is normally very difficult for a 5-9 receiver to see significant playing time on an improving SEC football team with an offensive coordinator like Eddie Gran, who expects his receivers to block. When a team with a rapidly improving roster takes a commitment from a 5-9 guy, there is a reason. Maybe his run tool is elite. But if that was the case, it's doubtful he would be a 5.6 on the Rivals scale. Elite speed generally gets 4 stars. Maybe the kid is the best punt returner in Florida. Maybe Coach Gran is going all in to pull players out of that area of Florida. It's also possible that Hayes might not have a firm offer. I'm not saying that is true, since I don't know anything about him.

From what I've read, coach Stoops stopped his workout mid-way through camp and saw all he needed to see. And offered on the spot.

Also read comments from big time recruits in Florida .... Hayes is the real deal, also apparently 5-10 and will be a WR.

From what I've read, coach Stoops stopped his workout mid-way through camp and saw all he needed to see. And offered on the spot.

Also read comments from big time recruits in Florida .... Hayes is the real deal, also apparently 5-10 and will be a WR.
That may all be true. It is unusual for a 5-9 (or 5-10) receiver to be a difference maker on an SEC team. It happens, but only rarely. It's hard to see that kind of talent in 1 camp session. So Stoops must have really been impressed, because he already has Bowden, Thomas, Ali in the slot.

That may all be true. It is unusual for a 5-9 (or 5-10) receiver to be a difference maker on an SEC team. It happens, but only rarely. It's hard to see that kind of talent in 1 camp session. So Stoops must have really been impressed, because he already has Bowden, Thomas, Ali in the slot.

Just passing along whats been said, from reading the quotes from Florida talent (all D1 recruits) who have played against him it's probably not difficult to see why CMS offered.

Just guessing, I don't think other slot receivers will play ahead of Bowden and Thomas for a while.

Anecdotally what I'm hear is this guy has some serious speed like in the 4.3X range. We don't have anyone else like that on the roster currently. Thomas is a nice looking young player but he doesn't have the type of speed to take the top off the defense. I see Hayes as being more of a Jeff Badet type of player for us that can get deep on secondarys. As far as Bowden goes he looks to me like more of a Z receiver - a shifty guy that can maneuver past defenders, as opposed to a speedy slot guy that can just blow past defenders. But I also think he has just as much chance playing running back as any receiver spot.

Last edited:
I think we are seeing more of the consequences of UL's major allegations being top news. The first sign to me was the Trinity recruit not including UL in his top 10, Hayes switching is the 2nd, and Romeo Langford slowing down almost all of his talk about UL is the third.

I see the scandal to continue affecting them. Especially for this and next year's recruiting classes in Football and Basketball. I really think that parents are seeing what happened at UL and telling their kids that UL is not longer an option. I know that even if I were not a UK fan, if my kid wanted to go to UL right now it would be over my dead body. Whether it was Football or Basketball. The program is so corrupt that I cannot see how parents of recruits that have spent their lives teaching their kids the moral way to live would ever allow them near Louisville.

I doubt you will hear any UL fan say something similar, but I think that this scandal is affecting their recruiting in not only basketball, but football too. Then when they compare programs to UK and the basketball team's APR combined with the continual improvement of the football team with one of the more honest coaching staffs out there that have never had any incidents with the NCAA, the choice between UL and UK becomes obvious.

There will still be recruits that do not care about UL's problems and do not have strong family background's that will gladly go there, but to say that both programs at UL are not being affected as we speak is being naive, that is the nicest way I can put it.

Anecdotally what I'm hear is this guy has some serious speed like in the 5.3X range. We don't have anyone else like that on the roster currently. Thomas is a nice looking young player but he doesn't have the type of speed to take the top off the defense. I see Hayes as being more of a Jeff Badet type of player for us that can get deep on secondarys. As far as Bowden goes he looks to me like more of a Z receiver - a shifty guy that can maneuver past defenders, as opposed to a speedy slot guy that can just blow past defenders. But I also think he has just as much chance playing running back as any receiver spot.

I assume you mean a 4.3 guy??

Anecdotally what I'm hear is this guy has some serious speed like in the 4.3X range. We don't have anyone else like that on the roster currently. Thomas is a nice looking young player but he doesn't have the type of speed to take the top off the defense. I see Hayes as being more of a Jeff Badet type of player for us that can get deep on secondarys. As far as Bowden goes he looks to me like more of a Z receiver - a shifty guy that can maneuver past defenders, as opposed to a speedy slot guy that can just blow past defenders. But I also think he has just as much chance playing running back as any receiver spot.

[thumb2][thumb2]

True 4.3 speed is very unusual. Since 40 times are measured in various ways under various conditions, many high school players' speed is overrated. When you look at 40 times run under controlled conditions by top draft prospects in the NFL combine, the best are usually 4.5 with a few 4.4. If Hayes has true 4.3 speed, that would be what Stoops saw and liked. But that kind of speed is not necessary for a slot receiver. In the slot, you want guys who block pretty well, run great routes, keep their eyes on the football when they hear footsteps, and catch everything in their radius. Clevan Thomas is an ideal slot. You can run deep seam routes from the slot but you have to run through a lot of traffic to do it with good pace and timing. Deeper routes are more often run by wideouts.

From above video this youngster is seriously fast! I visualize kick returner, slot receiver after red-shirt freshman year.

If Howie is telling the truth, then that sends a bad message about UofL coaching staff to prospective recruits, that is "we'll take your commitment now, until we find someone we like better."

Having said that, in reality the circumstances point to the fact that this was the kid's decision, not UofL's.

There is a history.

This is a perfect example where the new redshirt rule will be a big deal.

Redshirt him his freshmen year and let him return kicks and get a couple touches in his 3 games to see how he stacks up and save a year of eligibility.

Please don't question the all-knowing messenger, err... Blue Decade. Despite not having set foot on campus in decades, he sees/knows all from the cornfields of Iowa...

ADVERTISEMENT