ADVERTISEMENT

We cannot play with 2 players who cannot make FT's

Eventually Cal will see that Johnny David HAS to be in at the end of the game. His free throw form is impeccable

Cal has LITERALLY lost a CHAMPIONSHIP game because his team couldn't hit a free throw. And he lost in absolutely embarrassing fashion.

I wouldn't call it a joke. Little things like free throws can make or break your year. Ask any coach, they will tell you

Please remind me of the championships that we lost in November due to free throw shooting.

These kids are still learning to play as hard as they can go for the whole game. Coach Cal is constantly in their ears screaming to push the ball and run run run. Well its hard to step up and knock down two free throws when you don't have your mid season legs.

I know your knowledge of the game allows you to see that. Aside from Marcus, who will probably hover around 50% at best, the rest of our missed free throws are coming from freshman. Alex and Tyler are knocking down their free throws.

Please remind me of the championships that we lost in November due to free throw shooting.

These kids are still learning to play as hard as they can go for the whole game. Coach Cal is constantly in their ears screaming to push the ball and run run run. Well its hard to step up and knock down two free throws when you don't have your mid season legs.

I know your knowledge of the game allows you to see that. Aside from Marcus, who will probably hover around 50% at best, the rest of our missed free throws are coming from freshman. Alex and Tyler are knocking down their free throws.

In 2008 Cal lost a championship game because his team couldn't knock down a few free throws to seal the deal. One of the more embarrassing losses and I'm sure Cal still feels it.

I get what you're saying and you're right. It's still early. Hell he's just trying to get them to run together lol.

I'm gonna hold back until I see more.

We lost a final four game and a title game to Uconn partially because of FT's ... .... Guys like Dakari were bad FT shooters.... but we had 70% + shooters miss FT's which means nerves got to them ... tends to happen when its a pressure packed situation ...

Briscoe has been a career 70% plus FT shooter. Eventually he'll figure it out even if it takes him going back to his old form of shooting. Or the coaches will finally work with him instead of expecting him to shoot 500 on his own .

I'm by far more concerned with how charming soft we are down low. FT's won't matter, we could go 100% from the line but if we stay soft inside, we won't have to worry about FT shooting in the final four because we won't make it there.

I'd start Matthews, Poy, Skal, Ulis and Murray. Matthews hasn't shot that well from the line either, but he has decent form and hasn't taken enough yet to form a judgment. He keeps the ball alive on the offensive side and is a terrific athlete, finisher and transition player. He plays solid D too. I'd give him a shot because Willis isn't getting it done on either end. I'd use Briscoe a lot, but he cannot be in near the end of games with his atrocious FT shooting. The same is true of Lee. He and Briscoe are at best 1 for 2 at the line and often 0 for 2. That's going to get us beat in the NCAA tourney if it isn't addressed. I'd go with a 8 man rotation with Lee, Humphries and Briscoe coming off the bench. Your thoughts anyone?

MaxPreps says Isaiah Briscoe was a 72% free throw shooter in high school. Briscoe looks like he has been pressing a little bit. But his release is alright, so I am not concerned. Once Briscoe settles in and slows down his routine at the free throw line, he will be fine. In his last full season in 2013-14, Alex Poythress shot 63% from the free throw line. Poythress is really starting to play well again. Last night, Alex was a difference maker. Derek Willis shot 6-6 from the free throw line last year, and is 4-4 so far this year. Charles Matthews was a 52% free throw shooter last year at St. Rita, so this is an area where he will have to focus. Marcus Lee has always been a very poor free throw shooter, and is unlikely to improve much there. In contested games, Calipari will have to use Poythress instead of Lee in the latter part of the game for obvious reasons.

I remember when Demarcus Cousins couldn't hit free throws at the beginning of the season. Cal made him work through it in games. Even made Cousins shout our technicals. By the end of the year, Cousins was fairly reliable. Saw sort of the same thing with Cauley-Stein last year.

Lee and Briscoe are super important to this team's potential success. Hopefully we see similar progression with them.

Just horrible posts from the OP all around. Briscoe is missing them now but he is a career 70+ shooter from the line . He changed his shot this summer so it will take time but Briscoe is one of the 5 best freshmen in the country and he has to play. He is amazing on D , passing , driving ect. Matthews shoots poorly but his form is good so it will come around as well but not until next year IMO . Now Lee sucks and will always miss them but he bring so much energy you live with it . As I have said many times we have lost 1 game in 6 years b/c of free throws and that was at UNC in 2013 . That is it .

LOL at those downplaying the importance of free throws. Did you just start watching college basketball?

LOL at those downplaying the importance of free throws. Did you just start watching college basketball?

What should we do about it? You want to kick Briscoe and Lee off the team? You expect any amount of practice will make Lee better at FT's? I mean its been 3 years. You mad we didnt pay and cheat to get a better FT shooting big man that we missed on?

Would you rather we of recruited 4 stars? 4 year players who are better at FT's? Then b*tch when we don't make final fours and we go back to the Tubby days?

What should we do about it? You want to kick Briscoe and Lee off the team? You expect any amount of practice will make Lee better at FT's? I mean its been 3 years. You mad we didnt pay and cheat to get a better FT shooting big man that we missed on?

Would you rather we of recruited 4 stars? 4 year players who are better at FT's? Then b*tch when we don't make final fours and we go back to the Tubby days?

Where did all that come from? I just think the importance of free throws can't be dismissed. Last year Louisville makes the Final Four if whatshisface makes one free throw. And we beat Notre Dame on two Andrew Harrison free throws. Year before we lost to UConn in large part due to them making theirs and us missing ours. We don't win the tournament in 2012 without Darius making 17 of 18 in crucial situations. You can go on and on as far back as you want. Look up the 1978 championship run and Kyle Macy.

Math for the FT obsessives.

In 5 games, UK has taken 129 FT's, which equals 25.8 per game. UK has hit them at 65.1%.

In the last 40 years, UK has had 6 teams hit at least 75% of their FT's (and the 2 best of those ended up in the NIT). If UK was hitting 75% for this season, then UK would be scoring an extra 2.4 ppg. Less than 1 three pointer.

It does get irritating watching guys brick free throws, and I don't get how Isaiah Briscoe could hit a documented 75% in the Nike EYBL, and over 70% for his HS team, then show up at UK and seem like he's just praying they go in, but there are far, far, far, far, far, far more important elements to the game.

Everyone needs to read that again - "If UK was hitting 75% for this season, then UK would be scoring an extra 2.4 ppg. Less than 1 three pointer."

You play your best players. Period. Don't go dicking around with your lineup over a couple of points per game.

Someone referenced the 2008 Memphis title game loss. Recap: yes, that was a bad free throw shooting team. You know the 2 best FT shooters on that team? Rose and Douglas-Roberts. You know which 2 guys missed 4 of 5 FTs in the last 1:15 of that game? Rose and Douglas-Roberts. The two of them were 8-8 from the line in that game in the first 39 minutes......The moral of that story is not "Memphis was a sucky free throw shooting team and, as everyone predicted and Cal denied, it came back to bite them in the end." The moral is sometimes players simply choke in the spotlight - even your best free throw shooters.....

Reactions: SilentsAreGolden
Cal has LITERALLY lost a CHAMPIONSHIP game because his team couldn't hit a free throw. And he lost in absolutely embarrassing fashion.

I wouldn't call it a joke. Little things like free throws can make or break your year. Ask any coach, they will tell you

That was a key factor in THAT game. If they hit FTs well that game and lost because they missed a few gimmes, would Cal have the stigma that he doesn't recruit players that can make gimmes? FT shooting is not something that is so easy to solve like some people think. Take Briscoe for example. If what I am hearing is right, he hit 70% in HS. Perfectly acceptable, but he's far worse than that this year. Still, I doubt Cal went after him with any consideration for the FT shooting percentage. I doubt many, if any coaches do. Cal could target good FT shooters, but he'd get far weaker classes than he is getting.

So, what is the solution? A host of players in the pros are abysmal at FTs and NBA teams have deep pockets. If it was something easily fixable, I think they would do it. Ever so often you get teams that are highly ranked and also very good at the line, but most of the time they are about average or even worse. IMO, Cal gets too much flak over this issue, and until I hear some solutions, I will continue to think that.

The difference is that AD and Teague had good technique on their shots and it was only a question of time until their FT's began to fall. AD's biggest contribution in college was his shot blocking presence and rebounding. If you recall, he was our 5th option on offence, even at the end of the year. Teague was great with the ball, played just as well on D as Briscoe, but as I said, his form was good at the line. Lee and Briscoe are throwing up bricks. Lee hasn't improved at the line in 3 years, and Briscoe has terrible spin n the ball.

You also need to read what I said carefully. I said that Briscoe should play 'a lot'. I think he brings great skills to the table, but Cal just said that Matthews played very well and just needs to prove he can make FT's and he'll be in the rotation. Matthews has great athleticism and time will bear that out. Wait and see. But I never implied that Briscoe or Lee should lose all their minutes. What I said is that we can't afford to go 6-18 from the line between them or we are going to lose in the tournament. Remember the semis against Uconn in 2011 when we went 11-27 from the line and lost by 1 point? I don't want to live through that again.
Not sure where you got 11-27 but Kentucky was actually 4-12 from the line in that 2011 game against UCONN. Your point still stands but just FYI.

I can't agree with anyone who believes there's many more important aspects to a basketball game than free throws. It's the only aspect of this game where points are basically handed to you. It's the only aspect you yourself can control.

I've been to lots of coaching clinics all around the eastern US. you will not find many coaches, on any level, that believes the importance of free throws is overplayed. Quite the opposite actually, most of the time you'll hear them say "I wish we had enough time to practice them like we used to". They know it's a huge issue that can cost games, but they try and let the individual player practice them on his own. I'd say over the last decade it's not working out.

Everyone needs to read that again - "If UK was hitting 75% for this season, then UK would be scoring an extra 2.4 ppg. Less than 1 three pointer."

You play your best players. Period. Don't go dicking around with your lineup over a couple of points per game.

Someone referenced the 2008 Memphis title game loss. Recap: yes, that was a bad free throw shooting team. You know the 2 best FT shooters on that team? Rose and Douglas-Roberts. You know which 2 guys missed 4 of 5 FTs in the last 1:15 of that game? Rose and Douglas-Roberts. The two of them were 8-8 from the line in that game in the first 39 minutes......The moral of that story is not "Memphis was a sucky free throw shooting team and, as everyone predicted and Cal denied, it came back to bite them in the end." The moral is sometimes players simply choke in the spotlight - even your best free throw shooters.....

This factual post does not fit the agenda of some people. That would be like Murray and Ulis missing some for us this year in the national title game and costing us the game....people blaming Cal for that would be stupid but they'd do it anyways.

Reactions: Bluest Member
It is an issue right now. Briscoe and Lee have to work on it. Teams will put the pressure on them and they know it.

I can't agree with anyone who believes there's many more important aspects to a basketball game than free throws. It's the only aspect of this game where points are basically handed to you. It's the only aspect you yourself can control.

Dead on the money. There's no debate on this. Missing a free throw is a bit like walking away from free money.

The only thing I have to say (and not directly at .S&C.) is this. Practice free throws till you are really good. Say you can knock down 75% or better. Then lets stand you on the line in front of 22K fans, screaming and waiting to see if you *F* it up. Out of a 100, just how many do you think you'd make and how far below that 75% do you think you'd be?

Some kids adjust faster than others. We're 5 games into a season and some of you are picking on a freshman because he gets a bit nervous in front a large crowd after playing defense harder than he ever has in his life. Y'all lighten up.

Free throws are important. A lot of stuff is important in basketball. Can't perfect it all at the same time. They'll get there, just not all at once.

Reactions: UKrazycat2 and Jkwo
Our lineup will eventually morph to:
Ulis
Murray
Briscoe
Poy
Skal

Or we are not winning #9.

This is the lineup.

Those five will be in to close out the close games in March.

If free throws are still an issue for Briscoe, he may sit and Hawkins, Willis, or Humphries come in for him if the other team is forced to foul. Those guys can hit free throws.

Personally, I do not see free throws to be an issue for Briscoe by the end of the season. It's all in his head. He shot 72% in HS, so it's not something he has always struggled with, so he should be fine.

Now, Lee on the other hand, I have no hope for him. He is a chronically bad free throw shooter. Luckily, Poythress is getting better every game and will eventually replace Lee as the main guy at the 4. Lee will still get a lot of minutes, but if he can't make freebies, then he won't see much clock in the last 10-15 minutes in tight games.

I am more concerned about 3 point shooting, right now.

Dead on the money. There's no debate on this. Missing a free throw is a bit like walking away from free money.

The only thing I have to say (and not directly at .S&C.) is this. Practice free throws till you are really good. Say you can knock down 75% or better. Then lets stand you on the line in front of 22K fans, screaming and waiting to see if you *F* it up. Out of a 100, just how many do you think you'd make and how far below that 75% do you think you'd be?

Some kids adjust faster than others. We're 5 games into a season and some of you are picking on a freshman because he gets a bit nervous in front a large crowd after playing defense harder than he ever has in his life. Y'all lighten up.

Free throws are important. A lot of stuff is important in basketball. Can't perfect it all at the same time. They'll get there, just not all at once.
I agree with all of this.

I'd start Matthews, Poy, Skal, Ulis and Murray. Matthews hasn't shot that well from the line either, but he has decent form and hasn't taken enough yet to form a judgment. He keeps the ball alive on the offensive side and is a terrific athlete, finisher and transition player. He plays solid D too. I'd give him a shot because Willis isn't getting it done on either end. I'd use Briscoe a lot, but he cannot be in near the end of games with his atrocious FT shooting. The same is true of Lee. He and Briscoe are at best 1 for 2 at the line and often 0 for 2. That's going to get us beat in the NCAA tourney if it isn't addressed. I'd go with a 8 man rotation with Lee, Humphries and Briscoe coming off the bench. Your thoughts anyone?
There's never been a coach that has been burned any worse by bad free-throw shooting than John Calipari. It cost his Memphis team the 2008 National Championship. It cost our 2011 UK team an appearance in that years championship game against a Butler team that we would have beat. So bad F.T. shooting has cost Cal 1 maybe 2 NCs. I totally agree when you have 2 of your starting 5 that is so bad at the foul line that they make Andre Riddick look like Larry Bird. I'm afraid this problem will end our season on a very sour note. Call me a Donny Downer or whatever, but I've read this book before. I'll never forget how frustrating it was watching us go 4 for 12 at the line against UCONN in the 2011 final four & losing by one point. The late Abe Lemons said that there are 2 things in life that don't last long. One is a car chasing dog & the other is a team that doesn't make it's free-throws at tournament time.

There's never been a coach that has been burned any worse by bad free-throw shooting than John Calipari. It cost his Memphis team the 2008 National Championship. It cost our 2011 UK team an appearance in that years championship game against a Butler team that we would have beat. So bad F.T. shooting has cost Cal 1 maybe 2 NCs. I totally agree when you have 2 of your starting 5 that is so bad at the foul line that they make Andre Riddick look like Larry Bird. I'm afraid this problem will end our season on a very sour note. Call me a Donny Downer or whatever, but I've read this book before. I'll never forget how frustrating it was watching us go 4 for 12 at the line against UCONN in the 2011 final four & losing by one point. The late Abe Lemons said that there are 2 things in life that don't last long. One is a car chasing dog & the other is a team that doesn't make it's free-throws at tournament time.
Thank God someone gets it. Whoever scores the most points wins, and each missed FT counts as one point. It's as simple as that.

That's a very rational post. I just hope it all comes together as you have predicted.

Not sure where you got 11-27 but Kentucky was actually 4-12 from the line in that 2011 game against UCONN. Your point still stands but just FYI.
If that's the case, then I stand corrected. Maybe my memory is faulty, but I do recall seeing 11-27 in the box score. 4 of 12 still makes the point loud and clear. If we shoot even 6 of 12 we win that game and most likely win the NC 48 hours later. FT's cost us that game and the posters who say they mean very little can't rationally dispute that we lost the 2011 NC at the FT line. Those are missed free points people and games are sometimes won and lost by a point or two. We lost to Uconn in the 2011 semis by one lousy point. Nazr goes 1-6 in regulation time v Arizona in 97 and we lose the NCAA final in OT. There's another NC down the tubes because of very poor FT shooting. Rupp wouldn't tolerate anyone who couldn't hit a free throw, at least not in my time.

I have mentioned that I've wanted Cal to have at least 1 elite shooting coach on the bench but everyone.. and I mean not 1 person agreed with me but instead wanted more elite recruiters.

What that tells me is that you want the elite talent, you just want that elite talent to magically be perfect in every way.

If that's the case, then I stand corrected. Maybe my memory is faulty, but I do recall seeing 11-27 in the box score. 4 of 12 still makes the point loud and clear. If we shoot even 6 of 12 we win that game and most likely win the NC 48 hours later. FT's cost us that game and the posters who say they mean very little can't rationally dispute that we lost the 2011 NC at the FT line. Those are missed free points people and games are sometimes won and lost by a point or two. We lost to Uconn in the 2011 semis by one lousy point. Nazr goes 1-6 in regulation time v Arizona in 97 and we lose the NCAA final in OT. There's another NC down the tubes because of very poor FT shooting. Rupp wouldn't tolerate anyone who couldn't hit a free throw, at least not in my time.

If you remember anything at all from that game then you should remember that when the game was tight, bogus BS calls were made against UK. We make our FT's and I would of be the world on more bogus calls being made.

If you remember anything at all from that game then you should remember that when the game was tight, bogus BS calls were made against UK. We make our FT's and I would of be the world on more bogus calls being made.
No, I don't recall that at all. Every game we lose there are people who blame the refs. That's really getting old.

We are shooting 65.1% from the free throw line this season.

If our "average" free throw shooter took 2 free throws every single possession, we'd have the best offensive team ever, scoring over 1.3 points per possession.

Reactions: hoodro

Briscoe's defense has been incredible. You cant keep him off the floor that much. He is becoming our lockdown and you want to bench him for Matthews for a few FT percentage points?

Last edited:
I've made in abundantly clear that I think the FT obsession on this board is incredibly silly, probably driven by a lot of middle age (or older) guys who remember themselves as 80% FT shooters in middle school or HS or whatever (when it's highly likely that they weren't), or maybe in their driveways or at the local Y, and also have rosy, nostalgic, and false memories of the good old days of yore, when UK players allegedly practiced FT's for 10 hours a week and flagellated themselves when they missed one in a game- despite the clear historical record that UK team FT% hasn't had a tremendous amount of variation the last 50 years. Cal's teams have been slightly worse than UK generally was from the mid 60's through the mid 90's, but then Cal has also had a lot of very good big guys who were bad at the line- something a lot of teams have (gladly, in most cases) had to deal with throughout basketball history.

With that said, I do wish, just once, that UK would have a team that starts out hitting over 70% at the stripe, and stays somewhere between there and 73-74% all year (3 of Cal's teams have finished over 70%, but 2 of those- 11-12 and last year- started slow, just like this year). One thing that stands out to me is that UK has a lot of guys who seem to take way too damn long at the line. If you're Kobe Bryant, it probably is a good idea to develop a routine, follow it, and if it pushes the limit of the 10 second limit, so be it. Someone like that is confident that he's going to hit the shot. If you're Isaiah Briscoe, going up and staring at the rim for 7 seconds seems like a recipe to miss.

If I was Cal, I'd encourage guys to try the Steve Nash drill, which is simply seeing how many FT's you can hit in a minute. Nash has video of him hitting 21. A drill like that forces guys to narrow their focus down to the key details of the shot. And doesn't waste a lot of time that could be better spent on other things.

If you're worried about freethrow shooting you don't address that by who you start, you address that by who is on the court when you finish.

If I was Cal, I'd encourage guys to try the Steve Nash drill, which is simply seeing how many FT's you can hit in a minute. Nash has video of him hitting 21. A drill like that forces guys to narrow their focus down to the key details of the shot. And doesn't waste a lot of time that could be better spent on other things.
I don't like drills like this unless you already have your mechanics and muscle memory down pat. Rushing causes bad habits unless you can repeat that same stroke over and over. Guys that need to improve their mechanics then I think this is the worst drill you can do.

Reactions: UKCATSFREAK
Briscoe's defense has been incredible. You cant keep him off the floor that much. He is becoming our lockdown and you want to bench him for Matthews for a few FT percentage points?

No. We just don't want him on the floor when we have a lead of less than six, the ball and less than a minute to go. Soon as the ball gets to him the other team will tackle him. Even Cal said you have to make your free throws or I can't play you at the end of games.

Reactions: UKCATSFREAK
I don't like drills like this unless you already have your mechanics and muscle memory down pat. Rushing causes bad habits unless you can repeat that same stroke over and over. Guys that need to improve their mechanics then I think this is the worst drill you can do.

It worked for Steve Nash, apparently.

If you're worried about freethrow shooting you don't address that by who you start, you address that by who is on the court when you finish.

And I don't think obsessing over mechanics, especially while standing at the FT line looking at the rim while playing a game in front of 20,000+ people, accomplishes anything.

That Nash drill is designed to make mechanics automatic, which is a key element to being good at something. Yeah, if a guy is completely off, you want him to do something different, but the assumption is that he'll figure that out for himself- athletes don't like to fail, so if someone can only make 3-4 FT's in a minute, they're highly likely to change what they're doing.

No. We just don't want him on the floor when we have a lead of less than six, the ball and less than a minute to go. Soon as the ball gets to him the other team will tackle him. Even Cal said you have to make your free throws or I can't play you at the end of games.

I agree with that. The OP was talking about starting those other guys. It doesnt matter who you start, it matters who finishes. You have to be able to knock down FTs at the end of the game. If not, you should be on the pine. Thats why Marcus cant be in the game late. It's a shame cause im sure there will be times when we could use his skillset. But I agree with your post here.

It doesn't matter who starts on a poor ft shooting team. It's who finishes the game on the floor. I think when the pressure is on you will see better ft shooters and my thoughts are you should relax

It's so lazy to continually single out one aspect of many to identify the source of a loss . Against Uconn in 11 we missed free throws but we also had veterans like Miller , Jorts and Liggins that choked the whole game . They did nothing to contribute except defense to which everybody played , offensively they were outclassed by the rest of the talent on the floor . But the player that did the most to keep us in the game wasn't perfect and missed his free throws . If the veterans make a few plays and help out we win but they were intimidated .

ADVERTISEMENT