ADVERTISEMENT

We are half a basketball team

I hate to be the one to mention the four-letter word, but can you imagine what ESPN would sound like if dook were down to seven scholarship players? But when it's Kentucky, not a peep.

Diallo
Washington
Gabriel
Richards
SAG
Quade
Knox
Wynyard
Calipari

We rolling with 9

Last edited:
Which is why we should use all of our schollies. Get a couple of lower rated 4 stars that will take a few years to develop and don't mind sitting the bench until then. If we played a good team and had some foul trouble, we would be up $hit's creek.

Which is why we should use all of our schollies. Get a couple of lower rated 4 stars that will take a few years to develop and don't mind sitting the bench until then. If we played a good team and had some foul trouble, we would be up $hit's creek.

Yeah and take up scholarships that should be used for future top 10 players so you can complain that we don't land top recruits anymore? We don't fill out all our scholarships with bench players so we are able to have open spots for recruits year end and year out. Some fans are clueless and can't comprehend simple things that are so obvious.

Yeah and take up scholarships that should be used for future top 10 players so you can complain that we don't land top recruits anymore? We don't fill out all our scholarships with bench players so we are able to have open spots for recruits year end and year out. Some fans are clueless and can't comprehend simple things that are so obvious.

How many years under Calipari have we had all 13 scholarships taken up by top 10 guys

Yes, he is a scholarship player. However, Mr. Earned not Given wouldn't even be All-District at most high schools. He's getting spot minutes because we are roster depleted and its a token gesture.
Based on reports he can fill it up like Josh Carrier. Unfortunately, those performances don't make it out of the Craft Center.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat

c15184d155113a5e2fe7de4fff04212f.jpg

Yea because we need to bring in 8 5 stars per year. That's how you end up with a whole new team every year, genius. Plus, if you remember 2013, we fell apart when Noel got hurt because we had no depth. We need some stability. And it was nice having Sr's like Willis and Hawkins last year to help the young guns along.

Reactions: IrishMike409

Who were the 4 stars willing to come here and sit the bench for 4 years?

You do know that for 90% of schools a 4 star is their top recruit? 4 stars do not want to be bench players.

It’s not paranoia. Two years ago, ESPN did *exactly* that for the Brandon Ingram squad, even though it had multiple, perfectly healthy 4 and 5-star players sitting on the bench (e.g., Chase Jeter). K just didn’t want to play them. But the rest of us has to endure the ESPN slobber about how the dook starters were playing iron man ball.

You do know that for 90% of schools a 4 star is their top recruit? 4 stars do not want to be bench players.
Lower end 4 stars. Guys ranked around 100-150. Guys who don't expect to be stars from day one.

Being a solid rotation player for a perennial power isn't exactly "sitting the bench" or even have a bad experience by any means.

Being a solid rotation player for a perennial power isn't exactly "sitting the bench" or even have a bad experience by any means.

A rotation player is a bench player.

sec said Top 100 players, how many teams are there? More than 100... so it is likely that any of these would be a top recruit to another team.

4 stars want to play soon and many want to start, not many are excited about the fact, not possibility mind you, that they will likely be recruited over every single year.

sec said Top 100 players, how many teams are there? More than 100... so it is likely that any of these would be a top recruit to another team.

4 stars want to play soon and many want to start, not many are excited about the fact, not possibility mind you, that they will likely be recruited over every single year.
The OAD model isn't the only successful model. Look at UNCAA. Besides the fact that they cheated for decades look at their roster the past few years. They get high end 3 stars mixed in with a couple of 4 stars and a 5 star about every other year. And the 5 stars they get are usually the lower end so they stay more than 1 year. I mean Berry and Pinson were both 5 stars and are now Sr's. Seventh Woods and Kenny Williams were ranked around 100 when they came on and are just now playing. UNCAA has won a title and been to the title game two years in a row.

The OAD model isn't the only successful model. Look at UNCAA. Besides the fact that they cheated for decades look at their roster the past few years. They get high end 3 stars mixed in with a couple of 4 stars and a 5 star about every other year. And the 5 stars they get are usually the lower end so they stay more than 1 year. I mean Berry and Pinson were both 5 stars and are now Sr's. Seventh Woods and Kenny Williams were ranked around 100 when they came on and are just now playing. UNCAA has won a title and been to the title game two years in a row.

Go root for UNCheats. I dont care.

Cal has established his philosophy, it is what it is. We all want kids to stay longer than one year, hell i'm ok with 1st rounders leaving but its all the others that drive me crazy.

It does seem as though things are changing with our recruiting, although if Cal had his druthers Im sure he would like to be dominating the top 1 to 3 kids every season, 2nd Tier 5 stars will have a difficult time winning a title.

Reactions: UKCATSFREAK
Lower end 4 stars. Guys ranked around 100-150. Guys who don't expect to be stars from day one.

100-150 guys are typically 3 star players not 4 star. Fans already complain about getting lesser 5 star players. Those players would never see the floor typically. Maybe 8-10 minutes as a role player in year 3 or 4 , or if they were underrated out of high school.

Reactions: brianpoe
There are teams all over the country who've lost guys to injury. I myself suffered an horrific knee injury playing HS football. My left knee came and stayed out of socket. It was in camp and a couple of my teammates threw up. I looked once, and then told my 17 year self don't look again. I remember seeing the guys huddled around me and their faces were ashen white. Even the black guys. It's a sad side effect of sports. I really wish we had Vanderbilt and Baker. I think both could help this team a lot, but I'm confident at UK they are getting the best medical care a person can get, and I'm equally confident Cal will not rush them back. I would say it was 18 months before I fully recovered on the seat of a bicycle, and my lifelong love of cycling was born. Vanderbilt may never play for UK, but I'd rather he be fully recovered than rush him back for our benefit as fans. We may be short two guys, but we're still in the top 10. And there are over 300 Div 1 basketball programs.

Last edited:
100-150 guys are typically 3 star players not 4 star. Fans already complain about getting lesser 5 star players. Those players would never see the floor typically. Maybe 8-10 minutes as a role player in year 3 or 4 , or if they were underrated out of high school.
The top 129 guys this year are rated 4 star or higher. Not that it makes a whole lot of difference and I see what you're saying but maybe Cal is changing his model a little already as we've seen with guys like Green, SGA and Herro. Maybe it's because he can't get the top end studs anymore or maybe he wants to leave a little stability behind if and when he leaves so the next coach won't have to completely start over. I dunno.

You need solid rotation players- preferably upperclassmen. I would rather have a solid junior or senior as an 8th, 9th, or 10th man vs an 18 year old project who might be pissed off because he's not starting.

Good rotation players value their roles and thrive in those roles. Those guys can sometimes win a game or win a half for you.

Reactions: brianpoe
You need solid rotation players- preferably upperclassmen. I would rather have a solid junior or senior as an 8th, 9th, or 10th man vs an 18 year old project who might be pissed off because he's not starting.

Good rotation players value their roles and thrive in those roles. Those guys can sometimes win a game or win a half for you.

Who wouldn't? It's just not easy convincing a 4 star to take that role.

ADVERTISEMENT