ADVERTISEMENT

Watching practice today...

Alot of half court trap work between guards and 4 spot.
Reeves:. I wasn't overly impressed from three. Hopefully this is just practice and not something to be worried about. Mid range game was money though, has a great floater and looked comfortable as a spot sub at PG...good handles.

Team should be absolutely elite defensively. Long, quick, athletic and a few with really good fundamentals (Wallace, Thiero in particular at guard).
°Thiero- maybe it was low expectations but the defensive drills wowed me. He was quick and gaining praise from Cal. He has a lot to learn on offensive sets and got lost a few times, but it is June.
Last thing I'll add, yes....there were a HELL of a lot of GO's!!!!
That is better than any reporter would have given us! Great writeup and follow ups.
Question: from an in person up close look, how many inches in height separating Oscar and Toppin/Collins/Ware?

Love to hear half court traps and good defense in general. Our defense was suspect last year against good teams (and 1 mediocre team), especially in PnR and backdoors.

Watching Reeves last year, he was able to score anywhere. I think people who are expecting a Grady type player (which was very good), are underestimating him by far. However, like Grady at Davidson, Reeves DID like to have the ball in his hands a lot to make a play, but he wasn't one dimensional. He is the kind of guy that WILL NOT let the shot clock expire dribbling out a play looking for a clean look.

Thiero: I am glad to hear we are running offensive sets that are complicated enough for anyone to get lost in! But remember, Cal ran a lot of sets and double screens in 2015 when the core group of freshmen came back, not just basic penetrate and kick, or hope for an offensive rebound.

If Collins and Toppin can both play the 4 and keep defense honest from 3, that will win a lot of games that we couldn't win last year. Add in more free throws from slashers and drivers who can draw more fouls, and it only leaves me with one big ?? Can we protect the rim?

Hopefully CJ is packed in bubble wrap somewhere waiting for the season to start!

I am with the poster that said we should just get "GOOO" sewn on the back of every player's Jersey! This group should be dreaming about "GO" by now! Or maybe in the noise and confusion, they think they are hearing WOA! like my old barrel racing horse - she always thought I was saying "go" when I was saying WOA!

Thanks again!

That is better than any reporter would have given us! Great writeup and follow ups.
Question: from an in person up close look, how many inches in height separating Oscar and Toppin/Collins/Ware?

Love to hear half court traps and good defense in general. Our defense was suspect last year against good teams (and 1 mediocre team), especially in PnR and backdoors.

Watching Reeves last year, he was able to score anywhere. I think people who are expecting a Grady type player (which was very good), are underestimating him by far. However, like Grady at Davidson, Reeves DID like to have the ball in his hands a lot to make a play, but he wasn't one dimensional. He is the kind of guy that WILL NOT let the shot clock expire dribbling out a play looking for a clean look.

Thiero: I am glad to hear we are running offensive sets that are complicated enough for anyone to get lost in! But remember, Cal ran a lot of sets and double screens in 2015 when the core group of freshmen came back, not just basic penetrate and kick, or hope for an offensive rebound.

If Collins and Toppin can both play the 4 and keep defense honest from 3, that will win a lot of games that we couldn't win last year. Add in more free throws from slashers and drivers who can draw more fouls, and it only leaves me with one big ?? Can we protect the rim?

Hopefully CJ is packed in bubble wrap somewhere waiting for the season to start!

I am with the poster that said we should just get "GOOO" sewn on the back of every player's Jersey! This group should be dreaming about "GO" by now! Or maybe in the noise and confusion, they think they are hearing WOA! like my old barrel racing horse - she always thought I was saying "go" when I was saying WOA!

Thanks again!

Thanks for the compliment!

Hard to say on heights. TBH we were either sitting above the court or on our butts on sideline looking up.

It is a matter of an inch between all of them.

The Civil War (NBA draft) is over,

and the resulting economic explosion

spurs the great migration to the nba or G-League try-out contracts or whatever.

Forwards, centers, guards, killers and thieves... seek their fortunes.

Handlers and drovers turn ball clubs into farm camps...with kill rates higher than those

of modern-day New York or Los Angeles.

Out of this chaos comes the legendary none and done coach Ice Cream Cal,

retiring his badge and gun to start a peaceful life with his familia... Until the BBN came calling...

(Best I could do, it's late... ;))
141 could coach better than he
But Cal was looking for 143
He drew up a play to save the game
but the whole team left for the NBA

Apologies to Irving the 142nd Fastest Gun in the West

There now we can be friends again

• Haha
Reactions: STL_Cat and BBUK
I have been watching Cal teams since 1992 and I cant say that I remember him ever running an out of bounds play other than the one he runs today. Short lob to a big on the baseline, then handoff to a guard. Cant say that I have ever seen coaches hone in on it and figure out a way to steal it either! Cal is the kind of guy that if he lost a game as an assistant coach (or maybe even as a player) trying to pull off a slick out of bounds play in 1980, then he will never, ever, take that chance again as long as he can get it in bounds without being stolen!
He ran a lob dunk out of bounds play just last year. Worked like a charm.
Did it with the 2019 team too. Richards got an easy dunk.

He ran a lob dunk out of bounds play just last year. Worked like a charm.
Did it with the 2019 team too. Richards got an easy dunk.
There are probably more, but they're just so rare that I don't remember them (you remembered 2 over the last 2 years, for example). I just started consciously thinking about it in the last couple of months with so many people commenting on his go to in bounds play (or lack thereof), and I couldn't really remember any over the years, so I figured they're mostly right.
It would be interesting to know if those plays where they do something different from out of bounds are designed out of timeouts, or organic where someone happens to get open by accident and the out of bounds player takes a chance?

I do remember getting burned on out of bounds plays several times last year by our opponents though! Sometimes, I wonder if our players forget that it is legal to do that, and drop their guards!?

Reactions: kyjeff1
There are probably more, but they're just so rare that I don't remember them (you remembered 2 over the last 2 years, for example). I just started consciously thinking about it in the last couple of months with so many people commenting on his go to in bounds play (or lack thereof), and I couldn't really remember any over the years, so I figured they're mostly right.
It would be interesting to know if those plays where they do something different from out of bounds are designed out of timeouts, or organic where someone happens to get open by accident and the out of bounds player takes a chance?

I do remember getting burned on out of bounds plays several times last year by our opponents though! Sometimes, I wonder if our players forget that it is legal to do that, and drop their guards!?
Now that I think about it, I don't know how we are going to get the ball in bounds now without Brooks? He is going to have to train someone how to hold his hand high near the sideline and push off a little bit to create space and catch the ball. Then there is the whole handing it off to Wheeler thing without getting blown up by help defense, jeez..... IDK, things are looking bleak!
Is there a sarcasm font on this board?

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua and kyjeff1
No matter what kind of player we get OAD (or at best2 years) is on the table with the culture Cal has created and fostered.
I would have to agree that it seems like players are often coming to UK with a feeling like they're a failure if they have to play at UK more than that freshman year. I'm sure that's not the culture Calipari wanted to create, and I've heard him make statements trying to negate that somewhat. But I would also agree that it's a culture issue that is ultimately on Calipari and one he should work to change for the benefit of those players if nothing else - it's not a "healthy," mature, or productive mindset in my opinion.

The issue is about a scarce resource: practice time. Calipari would rather improve other skills. That is all there is to it. Remember the scenes in comic cartoons where there's a huge shadow on the wall? Then -- howls of laughter later -- we discover it's a mouse!!

In-bound plays are the mouse.

I don't believe that at all. Just a lazy narrative.
What has been the only time cal has won anything, he had a transcendent talent in Anthony Davis, in 2010 and 2015 he had transcendent talents, in 2017 2019 and 2020 he had really good talents not great, I would give in and say fox and monk were in the transcendent category. But all those other years cal didn’t have what he needs to win. He has to have the best of the best or his coaching model doesn’t work

Both plays I recalled, were out of timeouts. They were well designed and of course, caught the opponent off guard, because they were expecting Cal's standard statue-of-liberty garbage.

Reactions: morehorsepower4UKbb
Now that I think about it, I don't know how we are going to get the ball in bounds now without Brooks? He is going to have to train someone how to hold his hand high near the sideline and push off a little bit to create space and catch the ball. Then there is the whole handing it off to Wheeler thing without getting blown up by help defense, jeez..... IDK, things are looking bleak!
Is there a sarcasm font on this board?
Didn't Brooks get called twice in one game for pushing off on inbounds plays? Cost us the game IIRC.

What has been the only time cal has won anything, he had a transcendent talent in Anthony Davis, in 2010 and 2015 he had transcendent talents, in 2017 2019 and 2020 he had really good talents not great, I would give in and say fox and monk were in the transcendent category. But all those other years cal didn’t have what he needs to win. He has to have the best of the best or his coaching model doesn’t work
Correlation does not equal causation. Because something happened once doesn’t mean it always happens that way.

Also, what many mean by “elite talent” is 5-star freshmen. In my opinion, 5-star freshmen are generally inferior college players on the whole and it would take a very determined, hard slog of a coaching effort to win a championship with a starting lineup having too many of those guys. One night a team like that might look like world beaters, and the next night look like they can’t play in the creek. I think it’s considerably easier for Calipari or any other coach to win with the better college players and maybe (but not necessarily) one or two of those talented freshmen mixed in. Basically, the way Calipari had to do it before he first got to UK; and the way the teams that make the Final Four seem to be constructed (sometimes without any 5-star freshmen). The team with the best combination of players (how they complement each other) has the best chance to win, regardless of how “talented” they are perceived to be, where they’re projected to be drafted, or how good they end up being 3 years in the future.

So, I don’t agree that Calipari needs “elite talent” as I think you’re defining it. I think, just like every other college coach, he needs very good players that as a group cover most of the bases pretty well on offense and defense. In my opinion, the easiest way to do that is to have the better upperclassmen mixed in with maybe 1 or 2 big-on-talent-long-way-to-go-before-that-talent-equals-corresponding-production freshmen.

Correlation does not equal causation. Because something happened once doesn’t mean it always happens that way.

Also, what many mean by “elite talent” is 5-star freshmen. In my opinion, 5-star freshmen are generally inferior college players on the whole and it would take a very determined, hard slog of a coaching effort to win a championship with a starting lineup having too many of those guys. One night a team like that might look like world beaters, and the next night look like they can’t play in the creek. I think it’s considerably easier for Calipari or any other coach to win with the better college players and maybe (but not necessarily) one or two of those talented freshmen mixed in. Basically, the way Calipari had to do it before he first got to UK; and the way the teams that make the Final Four seem to be constructed (sometimes without any 5-star freshmen). The team with the best combination of players (how they complement each other) has the best chance to win, regardless of how “talented” they are perceived to be, where they’re projected to be drafted, or how good they end up being 3 years in the future.

So, I don’t agree that Calipari needs “elite talent” as I think you’re defining it. I think, just like every other college coach, he needs very good players that as a group cover most of the bases pretty well on offense and defense. In my opinion, the easiest way to do that is to have the better upperclassmen mixed in with maybe 1 or 2 big-on-talent-long-way-to-go-before-that-talent-equals-corresponding-production freshmen.
I’ve said for years that we need a balanced lineup.

We need a core of veterans who are experienced in Cal’s system. We need a couple of super talented Freshman, but they need to be stars, not role players, IMHO. We need to fill the holes with transfers. We need some Freshmen on the end of the bench who don’t need to play, just practice and learn for the future.

Right now we have returning players (Tshiebwe, Wheeler, Toppin, Collins, Ware, Fredrick). We might have a couple of super talented Freshman (Wallace, Livingston). We have one transfer that fills a need (Reeves). We have one Freshman for the future (Thiero).

This squad looks fairly well rounded to me, though I wish Cal would plan for the future a bit more by adding another Freshman or two that will be around multiple seasons. That doesn’t really affect this season, but it would help to have those guys over the next few seasons.

Reactions: G-PIP
Cal has so many tools at his disposal now. From 2016, through 2021, he was flying by the seat of his pants. He put all his chips into one-and-done kids and when he missed on his primary targets, his only option was to take lower tiered 5* high school kids and that was a bad plan. Thank God duke let Cal win the Kevin Knox recruitment. Sheesh.

Now, he has the transfer portal and top notch assistant coaches that can really recruit, so when he misses out on a primary target, he can grab a stud out of the portal.

Thank God for that portal, I say that, because Cal was not going to change what he was doing and without Chin and Antigua, he was a shell of himself. He gets the credit for being this elite recruiter, but he's not the one getting the top kids, no, he’s at home petting his dog while his assistants are out there getting it done.

Reactions: morehorsepower4UKbb
Cal has so many tools at his disposal now. From 2016, through 2021, he was flying by the seat of his pants. He put all his chips into one-and-done kids and when he missed on his primary targets, his only option was to take lower tiered 5* high school kids and that was a bad plan. Thank God duke let Cal win the Kevin Knox recruitment. Sheesh.

Now, he has the transfer portal and top notch assistant coaches that can really recruit, so when he misses out on a primary target, he can grab a stud out of the portal.

Thank God for that portal, I say that, because Cal was not going to change what he was doing and without Chin and Antigua, he was a shell of himself. He gets the credit for being this elite recruiter, but he's not the one getting the top kids, no, he’s at home petting his dog while his assistants are out there getting it done.

Name some coaches that do all the recruiting while the assistants stand down. Many would argue that he is out there as much or more than any other coach.

I’ve said for years that we need a balanced lineup.

We need a core of veterans who are experienced in Cal’s system. We need a couple of super talented Freshman, but they need to be stars, not role players, IMHO. We need to fill the holes with transfers. We need some Freshmen on the end of the bench who don’t need to play, just practice and learn for the future.

Right now we have returning players (Tshiebwe, Wheeler, Toppin, Collins, Ware, Fredrick). We might have a couple of super talented Freshman (Wallace, Livingston). We have one transfer that fills a need (Reeves). We have one Freshman for the future (Thiero).

This squad looks fairly well rounded to me, though I wish Cal would plan for the future a bit more by adding another Freshman or two that will be around multiple seasons. That doesn’t really affect this season, but it would help to have those guys over the next few seasons.
I'm assuming that I speak for most of the fanbase when I say we like UK winning in March above anything else. But we like winning in November and December too, and we especially like being able to beat the other Blue Bloods and our biggest rivals during the regular season. It’s all just entertainment and enjoyment for us, and winning games early also gives us a lot of enjoyment – which is what it’s really about. I think the balanced teams, as you say, give UK a much better chance to do both.

I loved the regular season last year, despite the bad ending. But I don’t think the ending was a product of how the roster was built. Before the injuries I think UK was arguably the best team in the Country, despite things not being quite what I thought they could be (and that’s always going to be the case to some degree). For example, Grady and Washington both made the jumps they needed to make about the mid-way point, but then regressed somewhat – more so Washington than Grady I believe – and I don’t think it was all health related. But I never found myself thinking: “Boy I wish we would have gotten OADs like Bates and Duren instead of Grady and Tshiebwe.”

I'm assuming that I speak for most of the fanbase when I say we like UK winning in March above anything else. But we like winning in November and December too, and we especially like being able to beat the other Blue Bloods and our biggest rivals during the regular season. It’s all just entertainment and enjoyment for us, and winning games early also gives us a lot of enjoyment – which is what it’s really about. I think the balanced teams, as you say, give UK a much better chance to do both.

I loved the regular season last year, despite the bad ending. But I don’t think the ending was a product of how the roster was built. Before the injuries I think UK was arguably the best team in the Country, despite things not being quite what I thought they could be (and that’s always going to be the case to some degree). For example, Grady and Washington both made the jumps they needed to make about the mid-way point, but then regressed somewhat – more so Washington than Grady I believe – and I don’t think it was all health related. But I never found myself thinking: “Boy I wish we would have gotten OADs like Bates and Duren instead of Grady and Tshiebwe.”
Agreed.

But the thought did cross my mind about how good we would have been with Banchero or Smith at the 4 instead of Brooks.

And I think Tshiebwe is the exception to the rule with transfers. You aren’t likely to get a superstar transfer like that every season. There are more Sarr types out there than Tshiebwe types, which is why I would rather have elite Freshmen coming in than trying to pin my hopes on transfers. But I do think NIL is slowly changing that. Still, we aren’t seeing elite players coming back to college and transferring much yet.

Reactions: G-PIP
Just got home...read some of above comments, just giving my honest take on some stuff. I will break down by drills and focus really on new guys or anything glaring I saw from returnees.

I stayed the full two hours. Will post some of the pics, etc in a bit. Not going to break down everything but just a couple drills and impressions on guys.

Of note- CJ and Canada were out of town this weekend and didn't participate in anything.

Half offense/defense over the two hours.

Offense:

Most memorable... Lot of work on penetration and floater or lob starting from 3/4 court on a sprint. Most of the guys handling the rock were Wheeler, Wallace, Reeves and Thiero. Wheeler and Wallace had some wars. Wheeler crossed Wallace bad once with a lob to Livingston or Toppin, cannot remember which. Shooting drills were 3 different sets of 3 guys on either end of court. One at top of key, one in corner and one on wing or just beyond elbow (Oscar).

I'll break down performance in a second as I saw it. Of note- corner shots were coming from stretch 4 guys- Livingston, Collins, Toppin.

Defense:

Alot of half court trap work between guards and 4 spot. One on one, big focus on slide hop to stay in front of offense. Special attention to Livingston on that.

Personnel Breakdown:

Oscar- didn't see much difference in approach; shot a few three's in drills here and there

Toppin- looks taller and stronger to me; outside shot looked good, in particular the corner from three. He made around 50 in 5 minute drill.

Collins- Ok, so much has been talked about his weight; to me I can see a difference...looks like a Sophomore or Junior McCarty in terms of body. Definitely still skinny. Was super impressed with his shooting from corner. He had some jaw dropping dunks. I expect a lot out of him. Could see him and Oscar playing together if he really can stretch the floor.

Wheeler- does look like he shed some weight; ridiculous how fast he is up close; we were feet from the guys in Craft Center. Went to camp last year but was never that close to Wheeler. He cannot be taller than 5'7". His 3 shots in drill were from top of key. He did well, again we are talking wide open at top of key but shot good IMHO.

Ware: Looks about the same to me. Maybe a little bigger. Didn't see anything major that stood out. Same type of player he has been.

Wallace: Will be an absolute star, no question in my mind. Though I've been wrong before. He didn't reply on perimeter game but did very well in 3pt drill. He can get by his man and is uber strong and has a quick second hop on a miss. Saw him miss on a drive and outrebound Oscar for his own putback which would have been an And1.

Livingston: Strong body, very physical but smooth. Pretty impressive. Doesn't look anything like a freshman...same for Wallace Had some very athletic dunks and a smooth shot from three. Had him in stretch 4 shooting drill.

Reeves:. I wasn't overly impressed from three. Hopefully this is just practice and not something to be worried about. Mid range game was money though, has a great floater and looked comfortable as a spot sub at PG...good handles.

Thiero: Was presently surprised. For one, he has a college ready body. Kid is clearly stronger than he looks from commit pics, etc. Very quick, was probably more impressed with him in defensive drills than anyone. He has the looks of someone who can be a lock down defender. Wouldn't be surprised if he plays more mins than I thought...like could fight into rotation. Shot looks good. He made 13-15 in a row from top of key drill. He then was off a bit but regrouped.

Overall:

I don't think the team will struggle to score. Wallace, Livingston and Reeves can all go by guys. I do think some of the 3 point shooting could be a concern and I do think they will rely on a stretch 4 to hit this year...at least based off practice today.

Team should be absolutely elite defensively. Long, quick, athletic and a few with really good fundamentals (Wallace, Thiero in particular at guard).

Most impressed:
° Collins/Toppin- two guys that will be fighting for minutes at same spot.

Least Impressed:
° Ware- just didn't see anything new; but not sure we need much more, he is a hustle guy

Biggest Surprise:
°Thiero- maybe it was low expectations but the defensive drills wowed me. He was quick and gaining praise from Cal. He has a lot to learn on offensive sets and got lost a few times, but it is June.

Last thing I'll add, yes....there were a HELL of a lot of GO's!!!!

GBB
Thanks for the report friend. I'm hoping for a great season in 2022-23!

• Love
Reactions: HagginHall1999
Agreed.

But the thought did cross my mind about how good we would have been with Banchero or Smith at the 4 instead of Brooks.

And I think Tshiebwe is the exception to the rule with transfers. You aren’t likely to get a superstar transfer like that every season. There are more Sarr types out there than Tshiebwe types, which is why I would rather have elite Freshmen coming in than trying to pin my hopes on transfers. But I do think NIL is slowly changing that. Still, we aren’t seeing elite players coming back to college and transferring much yet.
You have very valid points. Seems we're pretty close on most of our thoughts about roster construction. We probably differ just a little on the respective values of portal transfers vs OADs generally (and as you suggest, there's always going to be exceptions to any general proposition). But your thoughts are always well-thought out and enjoyable to read.

Name some coaches that do all the recruiting while the assistants stand down. Many would argue that he is out there as much or more than any other coach.
I'll do you one better, I'll name you all the coaches that have bragged about being the best:

John Calipari

• Love
Reactions: deep3
Watching more practice highlights it is clear the plan is to stretch Toppin and Collins this year.

This gives Oscar free reign down low. Love it, they never fully committed to this last year as Brooks struggled beyond 15 ft and had zero handle.

I am really excited to see a healthy and committed Wheeler in year 2 of this system with some stretch players, CJ will be key, gotta stay healthy.

This team if healthy is easily most promising since 2017 which IMHO was Top 3 in Cal era. I'd go '12, '15, '17 top 3 top to bottom.

Last edited:
Watching more practice highlights it is clear the plan is to stretch Toppin and Collins this year.

This gives Oscar free reign down low. Love it, they never fully committed to this last year as Brooks struggled beyond 15 ft and had zero handle.

I am really excited to see a healthy and committed Wheeler in year 2 of this system with some stretch players, CJ will be key, gotta stay healthy.

This team if healthy is easily most promising since 2017 which IMHO was Top 3 in Cal era. I'd go '12, '15, '17 top 3 top to bottom.
I still think the 2009-2010 team was the most talented Cal has had.

I still think the 2009-2010 team was the most talented Cal has had.

Super talented team but top to bottom I don't think so. You had two stars in Wall/Cousins for sure. Patterson and Bledsoe were both really good players too. Miller wasn't the same as he was in '12 obviously. But that team lacked 3pt shooting and depth.

2012 lacked depth but had Lamb and Wiltjer from 3.

2015 was a juggernaut. Peaked early and lost AP which hurt them from a flexibility standpoint.

2017 had 3 stars IMHO, had a really good supporting cast too, by EOY I felt like it was 1A/1B between UK/UNC.

I'd put '10 right there with all of them, no doubt, JMHO.

emot-munch.gif
............. good read.

• Haha
Reactions: BBUK
Super talented team but top to bottom I don't think so. You had two stars in Wall/Cousins for sure. Patterson and Bledsoe were both really good players too. Miller wasn't the same as he was in '12 obviously. But that team lacked 3pt shooting and depth.

2012 lacked depth but had Lamb and Wiltjer from 3.

2015 was a juggernaut. Peaked early and lost AP which hurt them from a flexibility standpoint.

2017 had 3 stars IMHO, had a really good supporting cast too, by EOY I felt like it was 1A/1B between UK/UNC.

I'd put '10 right there with all of them, no doubt, JMHO.
I still think that team had the most top end talent. Wall and Cousins speak for themselves, but Bledsoe and Patterson were also excellent with long pro careers. That team did have depth. Daniel Orten , Perry Stevenson. Liggins, Dodson, Harris, etc.

I still think that team had the most top end talent. Wall and Cousins speak for themselves, but Bledsoe and Patterson were also excellent with long pro careers. That team did have depth. Daniel Orten , Perry Stevenson. Liggins, Dodson, Harris, etc.

Well I should have typed "quality" depth. Hard to argue against either team but below is the reason I'd ride with '17.

They had bodies but for all those guys (5) who played in 25+ games the whole season...

558 pts
403 rbs
86 ast
172 combined games
2107 combined minutes

That is an average of 3.2pts, 2.3rbs, .5 ast per player per game.

Per minute, .26ppm, .19rpm, .04apm

Bench shot 69/222 from 3. 31%.

Compare that to a team like 2017...

(5 guys 25 games + off bench)

875 pts
605 rbs
145 asts
184 combined games
2889 combined minutes

That is an average of 4.75ppg, 3.2rpg, .78apg.

Per minute, .30ppm, .21rpm, .05apm

Bench also shot 126/353 from 3. 36%

ADVERTISEMENT