ADVERTISEMENT

Watched Liams Q and A today

Uncle Adolph

Junior
Aug 9, 2019
I'm encouraged and looking forward to this coming season and beyond.
I think Scan was intelligent but not flexible.
And maybe this is not fair but Liam seems so much easier to relate to.
As someone on another thread said, Scan was like your old HS science teacher and Liam is like your old PE teacher.
So glad he is back

I was sold on Coen after the UF game in 2021. He came into the press room staring intently at his cell phone, watching his own video of the throng that had rushed the field.

A reporter asked/stated, “you don’t get this in the NFL, do you?”

Coen turned his attention to the reporter and had this enchanted look in his eye, like a 5 year old on Christmas morning . . . . “Nooooo,, nooo, you don’t get this in the NFL.”

Remember, Coen was a college kid at a G5 program not that long, ago. I think it unlikely he had seen 25K fans charge any field he played on in those years.

The last three years of his life may have been very instructive for Coach Coen.
From the heights of the NFL, to the depths of the NFL, strangely sandwiching one of the top 5 seasons in UK’s modest history.

In spite of NIL and huge coaches salaries, the NFL will always possess the real money in football.

But the chalk-lined fields of our memories from hundreds colleges and Universities are fully possessed of the soul of the sport.

It has always been so.

It will always be so.

These are the fields of state and regional pride. Where North and South have fought and refought. Where segregation
met its inevitable end. Where mere mortals like George Rogers and Greg Page and Chucky Mullins have been transformed into statues that will last for the ages.

Welcome Home, Coach Coen!

I'm encouraged and looking forward to this coming season and beyond.
I think Scan was intelligent but not flexible.
And maybe this is not fair but Liam seems so much easier to relate to.
As someone on another thread said, Scan was like your old HS science teacher and Liam is like your old PE teacher.
So glad he is back

Piecing together several public comments by several people, that seems to be the case. We're unbelievably fortunate to get him back. It's still hard to believe it actually happened

Coen is very relatable to the athletes
Absolutely. Go listen to him on KSR if anyone hasn't, hear the excitement and happiness he had about Josh Ali. He was genuinely thrilled and proud Josh was on a practice team & got activated to a main roster spot to end the season. Or how he remembers recruiting Jefferson.

Players can tell when that is real or when it is fake.

Reactions: coachcombs57
I think Scan couldn't communicate or teach college kids. Coen is excellent at it, and he knows this is his level.
Levis liked Coach Scan until Levis was getting his brains beat in every week. Scan did not understand the true level of competitiveness in the SEC until it was too late. Scan was mainly a bottom feeding NFL staffer who checked just enough boxes and looked superficially just enough like Coen within the McVay/Shanahan tree to get to the top of Stoops' coordinator list when Stoops had a short window to replace Coen. Scan is not a bad football man, but he was a bad fit at Kentucky because he could not adjust fast enough. Coen is not necessarily more aggressive than Scan. Both are good play designers. But Coen is a quick study while Scan overanalyses. Coen has higher football intelligence and a more outgoing personality. Kentucky's players like Coen better and trust Coen more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT