ADVERTISEMENT

Watched 98 against Duke again....

Jan 19, 2016
And I could've sworn there were more UK fans than Duke fans there. Not that I'm surprised since we are the bigger fanbase.

I watched that on vhs and still have it, it’s not very often you see a game turn on a dime like that. Getting totally dominated and then totally dominating. They had momentum for 75% of the game and then we had it for the last 25% entirely.

That 98 team was the ultimate Jekyll and Hyde, look lost and then suddenly in complete sync in the same game. Amazing tournament run in a very strong year, a bunch of good teams in a loaded year.

I live in the Tampa area and went to the game with my dad. You mentioning this though, just reminded me I’ve never seen the game again.

I’m sure I saw highlights that night, but have never had a chance to watch the game again.

I really need to do that, it’s one of my fondest memories with my dad....I was a freshman in college that year, good times

Reactions: WCSPlayedWRInHS
Although they weren’t one and done that Duke team could have won the title that year relying heavily on freshman. It was the type of team that Cal has tried to build here, stud freshman with maybe a holdover like Langdon. Our incredible comeback probably stopped a Duke title run, that team was talented.

That game is my favorite non NCAA championship game of all time. I can still hear Fudge Packer “What’s he doing to Wojo?”

BKy3ZipCcAEHrlu.jpg

I watched that on vhs and still have it, it’s not very often you see a game turn on a dime like that. Getting totally dominated and then totally dominating. They had momentum for 75% of the game and then we had it for the last 25% entirely.

That 98 team was the ultimate Jekyll and Hyde, look lost and then suddenly in complete sync in the same game. Amazing tournament run in a very strong year, a bunch of good teams in a loaded year.
the 98 team will always be the biggest surprise of my life time and not just in sports I think . My life was in a really bad place at that time and it happened and completely seemed to provide me with the motivation personally to get my life on track. I know that sounds silly to take that much importance from a sporting event but I did . I remember before the UCLA sweet 16 game telling someone we would lose by 20 and boy was I wrong. Then I told someone we would lose by 30 to Duke . I was in bad place what can I say.

Brings back memories. I was thinking 92 revisited that game. My stress level was bad, hell it was bad watching that now and I knew the turn out. Poor tubby aged 40 years after that yr. wojo was doing his best to look like Matt Damon, and of course they slobbered all over “the shot” like it’s the damn holy grail since it involves puke. So glad we beat them. I would of probably cried like a baby again had we lost like we did 6 years prior. Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
the 98 team will always be the biggest surprise of my life time and not just in sports I think . My life was in a really bad place at that time and it happened and completely seemed to provide me with the motivation personally to get my life on track. I know that sounds silly to take that much importance from a sporting event but I did . I remember before the UCLA sweet 16 game telling someone we would lose by 20 and boy was I wrong. Then I told someone we would lose by 30 to Duke . I was in bad place what can I say.

That's not silly at all, life deals us shit hands sometimes. I'm glad that team helped you pull thru. Inspiration comes in all packages

Living in Austin at the time and with the FF in SA, I was pissed when UK got down big in the 2nd half, pretty much wishing they just make it respectable. When the comeback began, I was on my hands and knees praying to the Hoops God, did the same against UC in '05 with the Regionals being in Austin. The Hoop Gods answered both prayers, very cool to see in person UK win it all after having missed out watching the year before in Indy.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Would you guys believe this classic game/moment occurred on my 18th birthday (3/22/80)? :) Boy that game was so exciting...nothing (not even when we won championships) would even come close to topping that until our magical 2014 Cinderella run (yeah how often does KY get that label?) :)

Reactions: CELTICAT
I was there also. Yeah, UK fans clearly outnumbered the other three teams. We first blew away UCLA, but then it didn't look good for the Cats against Duke, down 17 at one point. Then Sheppard, Mills, Padgett et al took over on great outside shooting. I clearly had too many Shastas in the celebration. Sheppard went on to win two National Championships....not many Cats can say that.

I was there also. Yeah, UK fans clearly outnumbered the other three teams. We first blew away UCLA, but then it didn't look good for the Cats against Duke, down 17 at one point. Then Sheppard, Mills, Padgett et al took over on great outside shooting. I clearly had too many Shastas in the celebration. Sheppard went on to win two National Championships....not many Cats can say that.
if my memory is correct i think Turner also won 2 and played in three straight championship games

I was a supervisior for a major lumber manufacturing facility, and the last 15 minutes of that game i shut the line down completely so we all could listen to thelast of it...told the higher ups we had to replace a saw blade....

You haven't posted much lately DK, you should get on more often. Used to love reading about prospects by you.

Reactions: ShoesSwayedBlue
Although they weren’t one and done that Duke team could have won the title that year relying heavily on freshman. It was the type of team that Cal has tried to build here, stud freshman with maybe a holdover like Langdon. Our incredible comeback probably stopped a Duke title run, that team was talented.
98 was great, but the school that really put the kibosh on a dominant Duke run was UConn. UConn took them out in 99, which was the most dominant regular season team K has ever had, and 04 (when the winner of the Duke/UConn semi was going to be an enormous favorite in the final).

Then that bastard Calhoun pretty much did the same thing to Cal and UK a decade later.

thanks OP
your thread got me to watch it again
then Sunday night i rewatched the UK vs Stanford game
tonight i think i will watch the UK vs Utah game

Reactions: jedwar
ADVERTISEMENT