ADVERTISEMENT

Washington, too small to play the four, not skilled enough to play the 3

He pulls the ball down around to his shoulder instead of stretching out when he shoots going to the backboard. Other times he pulls it down and then switches it to his left hand to shoot shoulder height. Needs to extend his arms and shoot it from above his head

Barkley is an inch shorter? And he done it. Attitude, desire, pride and toughness only thing holding him back. Big enough to wreck havoc around the rim on every possession if he liked.

Barkley was a bigger player. Quicker and better jumper. Theround minder of rebound was a space eater. Much better player than Washington. Pj needs more time in college to evolve to a better player.

Look, PJ is the type of player we’ve been wanting Cal to mix in. He’s going to be here a while.
Do you guys remember Chuck Hayes? CH was basically the same exact size of PJ.
He struggled a bit his freshman year, by Hayes ended up developing a great niche as a player.
In fact, Hayes is one of the most beloved players of the last 25 years. The definition of a great college player. He also ended up making a lot of money.
Why can’t PJ do the same?
The picture on the bottom are for you really young fans. Senior night used to be a huge deal.
usa_today_10481529.0.jpg

Chuck-Hayes-pumped.jpg

20050303_20277_9dc0f39d.jpg

Chuck wasn’t the best Cat, but is one of my 2-3 favorites of all time. Give him the summer with PJ and we would see a new player next year.

Yep, this is why I think it's odd that the OP would, today of all days, start a thread claiming he's too small.

Did he not watch last night's game? PJ got dominated inside by a 6'3" PF much shorter than him. If anything, last night's game demonstrated that his problem is NOT size, it's something else.

Yep. It's heart and hustle and basketball sense. Briscoe is another example of not needing to be tall to be a force inside. Now, granted, neither Briscoe nor the guy for Auburn are small. Both look like SEC linebackers and that strength and low center of gravity helps. But it's the same for Grant Williams at 6'5 and Admiral Schofield at 6'4 for Tennessee. All 4 players mentioned are shorter than Washington and while their build aren't identical, they're all strength guys, not athletes. Washington is supposed to be BOTH. 235lbs with a supposed 43" vertical. How is he not grabbing 12 boards a game? Hell, I'd settle for 8. But 5rpg in 27mpg is unacceptable in my book for your starting mega hyped 5 star power forward.

I mean, his dad is a coach at a super high level high school program for crying out loud. How is his game speed and energy so behind the curve? Other freshman across the country have adjusted to the college game speed, but he's still about 2 seconds behind in all box out/rebound location situations. Again, his offense and even his ability to block shots are all ok. I actually think we should run MORE plays for him. But his overall defense and ability to rebound is vastly underwhelming. I think when Vanderbilt gets his conditioning/foul tendency under control, he should start.

SGA
Green
Knox
Vanderbilt
Gabriel

Starting line up, IMHO

Washington first off the bench, followed by Richards. Hami needs to earn PT in practice at this point because he's lost it by being in the game.

Reactions: UK90
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT