ADVERTISEMENT

Walk ons vs. scholarship players - what is the difference

BBBLazing

Senior
Dec 30, 2009
Obviously, the walk ons pay tuition. What I don't know is what benefits a basketball walk on gets compared to a normal business major that doesn't play sports. Do they eat with the team and get their food paid for? For that matter, what benefits do the scholarship guys get. For instance, does the school pay for their shampoo? I know a normal student in the dorm has to buy their own shampoo. I listened to Matt Jones' show the other day with Devin Booker and Matt Jones commented on the sweatshirt he was wearing and asked him how much UK gear they actually got. Booker said he got tons and gave a bunch of it to family. Is that OK? Do the walk ons get as much stuff? When my granddaughter is hungry at 10 p.m. and orders a pizza, she pays for it. Do the ball players -- scholarship or walk ons?

I'm not complaining, I'm just curious. I'm sure this new "cost of attendance" takes care of a lot of what I'm asking. I'm just curious what they actually get and how is it divided between the players. Booker said on the radio that he has never had a bank account. I had one when I was six and that was a very long time ago. I remember going to the bank with my pass book and putting 50 cents in the bank.

I'm sure someone on here knows. Most of you seem to know everything. (That was a joke.)

I know the walk ons get tons of shoes just like the others so I'm sure they get the other gear as well.

I know nothing about this issue from personal experience, but I would think that in order to get a realistic answer from people who do have personal experience, you'd first have to define "walk-on".

For me, a "walk-on" is a player who had a very successful high school basketball career, but didn't get an offer from U.K. and decided to "walk on" and try to make the team. That's what Jarrod Polson did (as the best recent example). That is ABSOLUTELY to be distinguished from Brian Long and Sam Malone, who got to be on the team solely because their fathers are friends of Coach Cal.

Which kind of "walk-on" are you referring to?

Walk ons seem to benefit just as much as star players. Especially if you play for UK. Not only does it get them exposure but it allows them to network themselves for life after basketball. Sam Malone would be a good example of someone who has benefited from being a walk on. Being a walk on at UK is the stuff dreams are made of. Most of these guys could of went anywhere and contributed but they chose to stay close to home to be part of the greatest teams of all time. Ravi moss may possibly be the best walk on to ever play at kentucky, yet he could of went anywhere and done well.

I was a Division I walk-on in a different sport at a different school. Walk-ons receive all of the same equipment as the scholarship players do. That includes more school apparel than one could ever ask for (as was referenced above). Stuff like food and housing/books is not paid for by the school - you generally purchase a meal plan which gives you x amount of dollars to place on a school card to spend. For scholarship players this stuff is paid for by the school. If you wanted to order a pizza or something that isn't provided by the school itself then it comes out of your own pocket whether you're a scholarship player or not. Although there are lots of local places that give you "deals" for being on the sports team (at UK I imagine the BBall players don't have to spend a whole lot around the town)

During school breaks such as Winter break where the players remain at school even the non-scholarship players are given a per diem amount to spend on food and essential things. Also on game days and away trips everything is paid for by the school regardless of your scholarship status.

I was a Division I walk-on in a different sport at a different school. Walk-ons receive all of the same equipment as the scholarship players do. That includes more school apparel than one could ever ask for (as was referenced above). Stuff like food and housing/books is not paid for by the school - you generally purchase a meal plan which gives you x amount of dollars to place on a school card to spend. For scholarship players this stuff is paid for by the school. If you wanted to order a pizza or something that isn't provided by the school itself then it comes out of your own pocket whether you're a scholarship player or not. Although there are lots of local places that give you "deals" for being on the sports team (at UK I imagine the BBall players don't have to spend a whole lot around the town)

During school breaks such as Winter break where the players remain at school even the non-scholarship players are given a per diem amount to spend on food and essential things. Also on game days and away trips everything is paid for by the school regardless of your scholarship status.

Yep this basically. Although with the new food regulations the NCAA put in place this year, my understanding is that walk-ons qualify to have their food paid for now.

Have to disagree with Ripcord on this one. I think they all get treated the same as far as equipment, food, etc whether they are a Sam Malone or a Jarrod Polson.

I know nothing about this issue from personal experience, but I would think that in order to get a realistic answer from people who do have personal experience, you'd first have to define "walk-on".

For me, a "walk-on" is a player who had a very successful high school basketball career, but didn't get an offer from U.K. and decided to "walk on" and try to make the team. That's what Jarrod Polson did (as the best recent example). That is ABSOLUTELY to be distinguished from Brian Long and Sam Malone, who got to be on the team solely because their fathers are friends of Coach Cal.

Which kind of "walk-on" are you referring to?

ADVERTISEMENT