ADVERTISEMENT

Wake Forest Assistant Coach Charged in Death of Tourist in NYC

flacat22

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2011
Florida
https://nypost.com/2018/08/09/wake-...ampaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPMetroTwitter

A Wake Forest basketball coach was arrested in Queens on Thursday for landing a knock-out punch to a drunken Florida tourist — who later died in the hospital, sources said.

Jamill Jones — an assistant to Danny Manning at the ACC basketball program — allegedly slugged Boca Raton resident Sabor Szabo in the head early Sunday morning for drunkenly banging on his car in Long Island City, according to law enforcement sources.
Szabo, 35, banged multiple cars in front of 41-10 29 Street at around 1:15 a.m., sources said.

A local resident heard the ruckus and came out of his home to confront Szabo, who then punched that person in the face, according to the sources.

Jones then approached Szabo and slugged him — causing him to fall to the ground and hit his head on the pavement.

Szabo was taken to the hospital in critical condition and succumbed to his injuries on Tuesday.

Police released surveillance video on Sunday that showed the assailant walking away from the scene.

Jones surrendered at the 114th Precinct stationhouse in Astoria on Thursday morning along with his lawyer. He was awaiting arraignment at Queen Criminal Court.

The medical examiner hasn’t revealed whether Jones’ punch led to Szabo’s death. Law enforcement sources said the charges against Jones could be upgraded depending on the findings.

The 35-year-old assistant coach was hired by Wake Forest in 2017. He was previously an assistant coach at University of Coastal Florida and Virginia Commonwealth University.

Wake Forest said Thursday night they have “just been made aware of this matter” and are “gathering information.”

Colleagues in Szabo’s hometown of Boca Raton said earlier this week that they hoped their friend’s attacker would be caught.

in-art-close-icon-128x128-16481b937f87b244a645cdbef0d930f8.png

SEE ALSO
Tourist dies after being punched in the head in Queens
Szabo — in town for his stepsister’s wedding — had left his brother’s LIC hotel

Reactions: sambowieshin
Sheesh! I haven't heard that and I live here. And I'm a Deac fan too.
Sad Sad Sad

That's unfortunate.

Even more unfortunate it happened it NY and not in Texas or somewhere.

That car is my property and I have a right to defend my property. Shooting wouldn't be justified if you don't feel your life is in danger. But physically protecting your property is justified.

There was no intent of deathly force. It was just unfortunate the drunk guy acting like an azzhat fell wrong and ht his head.

I feel for the family but play stupid games.... the initial action was justified with an appropriate level of force.

The article in the op leaves a lot of the story out, plus there's conflicting information. He was in NY for a family wedding and was leaving his brother's hotel to go to his own.

He called an Uber and afterwards his phone died, so he didn't know which car was his ride. Witnesses say he wasn't banging on cars but was knocking on windows to figure out if one of them was his Uber.

The article in the op leaves a lot of the story out, plus there's conflicting information. He was in NY for a family wedding and was leaving his brother's hotel to go to his own.

He called an Uber and afterwards his phone died, so he didn't know which car was his ride. Witnesses say he wasn't banging on cars but was knocking on windows to figure out if one of them was his Uber.
All that may be so, but he had no business attacking people and banging on cars.

Reactions: mailman85
Only pull a gun when you fully intend on using it. "Backing down" a stone drunk idiot using a pistol seems like unnecessary escalation to me.

(and before you say it, yes I do have my CCL)
Oh I never said I wouldn’t intend to use it. And the drunk was the one unnecessarily escalating that situation.

Stupid both ways.
Stupid for the assistant coach to put himself in that situation.
Stupid for the guy to be banging on cars and slugging people. Do stupid stuff and your gonna be dealt with.

Nonsense, drunk dude damaging property and assaultinf folks is the only one in the wrong. And no, I don't care about the law, dude was being an ass and the assistant coach put that to an end.

Oh I never said I wouldn’t intend to use it. And the drunk was the one unnecessarily escalating that situation.

You are escalating it dramatically by pulling a deadly weapon. I can't believe I'm having to argue that point. You can't shoot a person unless you believe your life is in imminent danger. If you can't get away from a slobbering drunk then maybe you need to stay indoors.

That's unfortunate.

That car is my property and I have a right to defend my property. Shooting wouldn't be justified if you don't feel your life is in danger. But physically protecting your property is justified.

There was no intent of deathly force. It was just unfortunate the drunk guy acting like an azzhat fell wrong and ht his head.

I feel for the family but play stupid games.... the initial action was justified with an appropriate level of force.

I agree, I don't see how it can be argued he used to much force. Unfortunate he died and a bad situation for them both.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Stupid both ways.
Stupid for the assistant coach to put himself in that situation.
Stupid for the guy to be banging on cars and slugging people. Do stupid stuff and your gonna be dealt with.
The "victim" was slugging people? He was banging, or as other reports state, knocking on car windows.

That's unfortunate.

not defending the dead person, but the video needs to be seen to really pass judgment.
a lot of questions of both sides.

Reactions: TM2013
The coach's life did not seem to be in danger. The drunk punched someone else. People just don't realize how easy it is to kill someone in real life. Movies and TV teach you that you can hit someone over the head with a liquor bottle, a chair over the back, a hammer to the head and everybody pops back up and keeps fighting. Not so in real life. One bottle to the head, it is not going to shatter the bottle, but the skull instead. Then someone is potentially dead and the one swinging the bottle had better have felt that was his last resort VS stepping away. Lots of guys are sitting in prison that "won" their bar fight. I remember my telecom professor saying that he thought that violence on tv should actually be MORE realistic for this reason.

Nonsense, drunk dude damaging property and assaultinf folks is the only one in the wrong. And no, I don't care about the law, dude was being an ass and the assistant coach put that to an end.

Yes he did the right thing for his situation, go punch a drunk dude (who obviously needed an attitude adjustment) and then get charged with manslaughter and ruin the rest of your life.
Yep if I was in a high profile position like him making 6 figures and sky is the limit for his future. I'm gonna go slugging people. Maybe it can end up on the evening news and maybe sue me for millions and lose my job.
Well it seems he picked the short straw, lost job, money for lawyers, more than likely prison and maybe a civil suit from the dumbass he hit family.

Ya your prob correct.

Reactions: TM2013
The "victim" was slugging people? He was banging, or as other reports state, knocking on car windows.

Knocking on Windows???? Wtf?? Ya I can see it now some dude is just going around and ever so slightly rapping his fingers on car windows whispering hello anybody their?)

"Szabo, 35, banged multiple cars in front of 41-10 29th St. at around 1:15 a.m., sources said."

He just had to be so unlucky that the one guy who heard him at 1am had bionic hearing and those ever so slightly whispers and knocking on Windows sounded like chaos! So out he comes out of his house and confronts him . And this happens .......

"local resident heard the ruckus and came out of his home to confront Szabo, who then punched that person in the face,"

Knocking on Windows???? Wtf?? Ya I can see it now some dude is just going around and ever so slightly rapping his fingers on car windows whispering hello anybody their?)

"Szabo, 35, banged multiple cars in front of 41-10 29th St. at around 1:15 a.m., sources said."

He just had to be so unlucky that the one guy who heard him at 1am had bionic hearing and those ever so slightly whispers and knocking on Windows sounded like chaos! So out he comes out of his house and confronts him . And this happens .......

"local resident heard the ruckus and came out of his home to confront Szabo, who then punched that person in the face,"
There was another report but this one seems more accurate.

JTown police just released information that they tazed a guy who fell, struck his head and died. I recall a student striking a teacher here in KY who fell, struck his head and died. As noted earlier....its not like in the movies. If you knock someone out and they hit their head on the curb....they die...you just became inmate #645377. Keep that in mind when you try to show that you are a badass to your buddies.

The coach's life did not seem to be in danger. The drunk punched someone else. People just don't realize how easy it is to kill someone in real life. Movies and TV teach you that you can hit someone over the head with a liquor bottle, a chair over the back, a hammer to the head and everybody pops back up and keeps fighting. Not so in real life. One bottle to the head, it is not going to shatter the bottle, but the skull instead. Then someone is potentially dead and the one swinging the bottle had better have felt that was his last resort VS stepping away. Lots of guys are sitting in prison that "won" their bar fight. I remember my telecom professor saying that he thought that violence on tv should actually be MORE realistic for this reason.
th

Reactions: 83Cat
ADVERTISEMENT