ADVERTISEMENT

Vols sign Vitello to massive extension

wildcatwolverine

Blue Chip Prospect
May 29, 2001
$1.5MM per year, plus a big pot of money for his assistants. Also I'm sure that he was given some promises about facility updates too.

This is HUGE money for college baseball. They were seriously worried about losing him to A&M or LSU, but oddly enough, he never seemed to be in play for either job.

So, UT is going to be good every year going forward. Meanwhile, we have Ming.

$1.5MM per year, plus a big pot of money for his assistants. Also I'm sure that he was given some promises about facility updates too.

This is HUGE money for college baseball. They were seriously worried about losing him to A&M or LSU, but oddly enough, he never seemed to be in play for either job.

So, UT is going to be good every year going forward. Meanwhile, we have Ming.

We will see how it works out for them. They paid him as much as some coaches who have regularly been to the CWS and even won it. UT fans really like Vitello, but they'll go back to ignoring baseball entirely if they go back to being mediocre. I think the funny thing is that they basically paid him a ton of money in a bidding war with themselves. They could have probably easily paid him half a million less than they did and supposedly still kept him.

Also interesting to note that Kessler may be heading to Missouri as Vitello knows Kessler's family (IIRC).

We will see how it works out for them. They paid him as much as some coaches who have regularly been to the CWS and even won it. UT fans really like Vitello, but they'll go back to ignoring baseball entirely if they go back to being mediocre. I think the funny thing is that they basically paid him a ton of money in a bidding war with themselves. They could have probably easily paid him half a million less than they did and supposedly still kept him.

Also interesting to note that Kessler may be heading to Missouri as Vitello knows Kessler's family (IIRC).
True...loved the line about them "in a bidding war with themselves" which is typical of TN. A&M/LSU felt he was too inexperienced to gamble on. Let's see where he is in 2-3 years before we declare him the next Ron Polk/Skip Bertman.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Yeah, let's wait and see what his ceiling and floor are before hand wringing. How'd Coach Ming's first season look?
I think we can all agree season one of Mingione was fantastic. The next few years were poor at best. When you evaluate the total body of work, it’s not been a good tenure for Mingione.

ADVERTISEMENT