ADVERTISEMENT

Visiting UNC fans...

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
Have you ever had a kid in college? Remember when your kid worked so hard to get a decent GPA, or maybe just get by? For those of you without kids, maybe that was your experience.

I've watched my very bright and decent kids work incredibly hard to try to achieve academic distinction at honorable universities.

Now imagine a guy like Rashad McCants makes the DEAN'S LIST while never attending a single class or doing any work whatsoever. http://deadspin.com/rashad-mccants-made-the-deans-list-at-unc-without-atte-1587050360

That's as simple as I can describe the disease that afflicted UNC Chapel Hill. It undermined the work of every person who went there -- the worth of any degree earned there. It corrupted any sense of an honor system, of a level playing field. I'm sure there were decent kids who went there and worked their asses off to get a 2.8 GPA. Other kids managed to claw their way onto the dean's list -- to join Rashad McCants at what was supposed to be a pinnacle of achievement. And he never went to a single class.

Multiple Rashad McCants by Julius Peppers and every other basketball and football player allowed to cheat wantonly for 17 years. And it was all to keep basketball and football players eligible to play.

I know high profile athletes aren't normal students anywhere. But at least they attend classes, stay eligible by doing the work required of them, and play within the rules of the system until they can cash in on their skills and begin a career. That, at least, has a modicum of fairness and honor to it.

The idea that the alumni of UNC aren't demanding that the athletic department be held accountable for that disgrace to the reputation of the university is appalling and shameful.

Reactions: katwest
ADVERTISEMENT