ADVERTISEMENT

Visit To Normandy and Omaha Beach-Site of DDay

shadowman4

Junior
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2002
I had always had on my bucket list that I wanted to visit Normandy and particularly Omaha Beach where one of the most historic battles to help liberate Europe from the Nazis tyranny took place. I actually stood in one of the many still exiting German Bunkers imagining what our American and other Allied soldiers face as they exited their LST’s in the face of incredible gun fire from the German bunkers where I was then standing. The overwhelming feeling of emotion I felt I can really not put into words other than gratitude to our fighting men who gave their all that day and later as the War of all Wars continued resulting in the Allied forces finally winning the freedom that we still enjoy today. I just want to say how grateful I am for those freedoms we still enjoy today and God Bless America.

Last edited:
Been there, done that, and you are 100% correct.

If we could upload photos I have some great pics...

Reactions: ukalum1988
My dad was in the second wave of the Normandy invasion. Many of his friends were in the first wave and lost their lives.
One of my father's cousins was in the first wave and took a direct hit from an 88. There wasn't anything left to bury. More than likely it was a mortar round instead of an 88 shell as one of his fellow soldiers claimed but the effect was still the same. Also worked with a guy back in the early '80's that was with the Rangers on Omaha Beach. He said that 80% of his platoon was wiped out in the first 15 minutes and the only reason he survived was because he climbed up a concrete drain. Crusty old bastard and didn't like a lot of people but they sure respected him. Last I heard he was exactly 100 years old and still alive.

Reactions: WayneDougan
Hopefully the attrition style war tactics are a thing of the past, where you just throw a volume of soldiers against entrenched enemies to overwhelm them. That type of carnage lacked imagination from generals who thought that was the best method. Technology has helped curb that mentality but I think society has changed due to the appalling losses of ww1 and 2.

Reactions: UK90
I think I'm on this guy's ignore list, but replying anyway as it is a subject of personal interest. Though I may dissent from the criticism of imagination, but not necessarily from the same theme as he intended.

The world wars gave rise to a new component in light infantry combat - close air support. This has most certainly changed everything, permanently. And with the later introduction of the helicopter came a method to provide not just CAS, but also support rapid troop movement. I actually ran into a wiki page on the subject of close air support months back. Google it if interested. It also provided a reference that attempted to devalue the technique on the basis of whether lives, money, etc. ere actually benefitted (saved), as in some cases strategists were willing to put troops at more risk on account.

I first watched Saving Private Ryan with my vietnam vet cousin many years ago - 9th Marines, the walking dead. During the scene where Tom Hanks appears to blow up a tank with his 1911, only to be revealed a low flying tank buster had done it, I said "thank God for close air support". To which my cousin very emphatically and as if a surge of experiences were saying it for him, "you got that shit right".

Speaking of planes, its interesting to read about plane usage in ww1. Initially used for intelligence collection until they added a machine gun. But theres stories about both sides passing each other in air and waving because they had no weapons...and then of course either shooting fire arms, ramming each other, or throwing grenades.

Hopefully the attrition style war tactics are a thing of the past, where you just throw a volume of soldiers against entrenched enemies to overwhelm them. That type of carnage lacked imagination from generals who thought that was the best method. Technology has helped curb that mentality but I think society has changed due to the appalling losses of ww1 and 2.
The United States was one of the few countries that got away from that mindset during WWII. The main strategy was to pretty much run the enemy down by forcing them to exhaust resources. In the end, Germany ran out of gas for their mechanized army which did them in and the losses on the Eastern Front were never replaceable. The US got the worst of everything on Omaha Beach due to faulty intelligence, however, any landing similar to the magnitude of Normandy is going to cost some lives, , unfortunately.

Reactions: Xception
The United States was one of the few countries that got away from that mindset during WWII. The main strategy was to pretty much run the enemy down by forcing them to exhaust resources. In the end, Germany ran out of gas for their mechanized army which did them in and the losses on the Eastern Front were never replaceable. The US got the worst of everything on Omaha Beach due to faulty intelligence, however, any landing similar to the magnitude of Normandy is going to cost some lives, , unfortunately.
They also overshot on the plane bombing to soften Normandy, ground troops pretty much took on the full compliment of defense. Luckily Hitler over ruled his generals advice and lightly defended Normandy as it was, otherwise Rommel would have made it a disastrous campaign for the allies.

I am reading "Nothing Less Than Victory: The Oral History of D-Day" - Russell Miller. Nothing but collected interviews of the participants of all sides who were there showing how nothing goes as planned. Great read.

http://tulsalawyer.com/awards/paula-quillins-father-honored-for-wwii-sacrifice/

a4c90c1c8da84fd99cfa5010dc49134a.jpg

Pretty cool story, this was a monument to commemorate my Grandfather, an Intel/Radio Op on the B17 Flying fortress and it's entire crew. His plane was shot down while flying back home off the coast of Holland. They circled back but crashed in a town a half hour south of Amsterdam, called Lisse. He landed in a pond and thankfully, was found by the Dutch Resistance. They hid him as a deaf mute in an attic for about a year until the war ended.

Fast forward, and to keep a long story short, A historian in Lisse was privy to the event and found plane wreckage. He put together this project for several years, contacted the families, and we all flew out to see the unveiling of the monument, right outside a church near where the plane landed. A very surreal experience.

Speaking of planes, its interesting to read about plane usage in ww1. Initially used for intelligence collection until they added a machine gun. But theres stories about both sides passing each other in air and waving because they had no weapons...and then of course either shooting fire arms, ramming each other, or throwing grenades.
Initially they just threw bricks at each other.

http://tulsalawyer.com/awards/paula-quillins-father-honored-for-wwii-sacrifice/

a4c90c1c8da84fd99cfa5010dc49134a.jpg

Pretty cool story, this was a monument to commemorate my Grandfather, an Intel/Radio Op on the B17 Flying fortress and it's entire crew. His plane was shot down while flying back home off the coast of Holland. They circled back but crashed in a town a half hour south of Amsterdam, called Lisse. He landed in a pond and thankfully, was found by the Dutch Resistance. They hid him as a deaf mute in an attic for about a year until the war ended.

Fast forward, and to keep a long story short, A historian in Lisse was privy to the event and found plane wreckage. He put together this project for several years, contacted the families, and we all flew out to see the unveiling of the monument, right outside a church near where the plane landed. A very surreal experience.

My wife's grandfather was shot down in a B17. One of 5 to escape the plane, but was in a POW camp for two years.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I am reading "Nothing Less Than Victory: The Oral History of D-Day" - Russell Miller. Nothing but collected interviews of the participants of all sides who were there showing how nothing goes as planned. Great read.
I read something similar to that last year, but it was from actual interviews from the German and Italian side.

My wife and I were in Paris a few years ago and I wanted to go to the beaches of Normandy, but she's not interested in history and it was an all day trip so she didn't want to go. I told her I was going by myself. She then reluctantly relented and said she would go with me.

We were able to visit most, if not all the beaches and it was great to see. The American Cemetery was one of the best visits. We were able to walk through the cemetery and see all the American soldiers buried there. Teddy Roosevelt Jr (Medal of Honor) and his brother Quentin are buried there.

Around 5pm, they have a lowering of the flag ritual and taps are played. I looked over at my wife and she had tears streaming down her face. Now, she tells everyone what a great tour that was.

I've been able to travel to many parts of the world, but I'll always cherish that visit as one of the most meaningful places I've ever had the privilege to visit.

I wish every American could visit there.

My wife and I were in Paris a few years ago and I wanted to go to the beaches of Normandy, but she's not interested in history and it was an all day trip so she didn't want to go. I told her I was going by myself. She then reluctantly relented and said she would go with me.

We were able to visit most, if not all the beaches and it was great to see. The American Cemetery was one of the best visits. We were able to walk through the cemetery and see all the American soldiers buried there. Teddy Roosevelt Jr (Medal of Honor) and his brother Quentin are buried there.

Around 5pm, they have a lowering of the flag ritual and taps are played. I looked over at my wife and she had tears streaming down her face. Now, she tells everyone what a great tour that was.

I've been able to travel to many parts of the world, but I'll always cherish that visit as one of the most meaningful places I've ever had the privilege to visit.

I wish every American could visit there.

That's called "changing hearts and minds"! Well done @Chuckinden !

Reactions: Chuckinden
Yeah..Thank God for nukes!!

Reactions: Nuke99m
Cliffs soldiers had to climb under fire.

WUJTWvt.jpg

Lots of bomb craters you can walk down into.

sdpi5N3.jpg

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to be there for the 50th anniversary while in the Navy. Aww inspiring to be at a location with so much importance.

Reactions: Chuckinden
This is one place I want to go and hope to do it in the next year. I am making plans to do that. I had a first cousin once removed who survived the initial wave but was killed about a month later on July 5, 1944 in a skirmish with the Germans. His unit was still in the Normandy area. He is buried in Arlington.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT