ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia Tech

Tickets are too expensive for students according to some. 10$ is too much !!!

@Sawnee Cat Seems to be a ticket price problem. Maybe someone can shed some light, but aren't there a good few hundred free tickets for fans? I remember Manhattan College games being free for students only a decade ago. I can't recall any of my friends colleges having to pay to go see a game.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Just makes no sense to me.. And the "on campus" claim? Isn't Rupp Arena like 2 blocks from being "on campus"? Seems like an excuse. Maybe the students ARE that bad.. but that blows my mind.. I'd be at as many games as I could, even if I had to pay 10-20 bucks.

Buzz did well at Marquette, I expect a close game. They will need an outstanding defense to beat us though I believe.

I think we'll win but some are underestimating this Virginia Tech team, they could beat anyone in the country with their guards, it's certainly not a given.

There is more to the student issue than price. Apparently it’s the whole process that has upset the students. Maybe someone could enlighten to how the process of getting student tickets works now?

I can't believe fans are actually anxious about this game. I say bring em on. I'm glad the competition is taking a bump. Buzz always has a disciplined team that competes.
The upcoming games should give us a better idea if the Cats are improving and progessing. I know this team is young and likely has a fragile pysche but you don't develop resolve without being tested.
I have anxiety about every game. I think it's very likely that out of VATech, UCLA, and UL, the Hokies could be the best of the three.

We got this game . We have CAL ! This team is making baby steps and Saturday they will make big steps.

This will be a tough game next week for our young team. The Hokies should be 9-1 coming into Rupp and they throttled the same Washington team by 24 that beat Kansas. They've also got two other decent wins over Iowa and Ole Miss. Buzz Williams is an underrated coach whose teams always play hard, so if we're not ready to play we could go down. Can't take them lightly by any means.

I’m not sure at this stage of the season that we can take anyone lightly.

Gonna be a really hard game if they're hitting threes. Gonna need funeral home arena to come alive.

But on the other hand, like Dook found out if you’re not hitting your 3’s you will lose, especially if you depend on them.

This will be a tough game next week for our young team. The Hokies should be 9-1 coming into Rupp and they throttled the same Washington team by 24 that beat Kansas. They've also got two other decent wins over Iowa and Ole Miss. Buzz Williams is an underrated coach whose teams always play hard, so if we're not ready to play we could go down. Can't take them lightly by any means.
I don't know if Tech is good or not but I do know that beating Iowa and Ole Miss aren't decent wins. They're both garbage.

ESPN BPI index is giving Va Tech a 51.5% change of winning at Rupp. This is going to be an interesting line when it comes out. Could be some big money to be made on Va Tech if the line is UK -6 or -7 where it is suppose to be.

VA Tech leads the nation in points per shot at 1.66 and adjusted field goal % at 64.2%. They rank 4 in assists per game and 10 in assist-turnover ratio (1.543). KY ranks 138th in that category. The 2 biggies are VA Tech ranks 2 in 3pt % whereas we rank 231st in opponent 3s made per game and they start 3 JRs, 1 SR, 1 FR. This is exactly the team we really don't want to face.

Last edited:
Reactions: DerekMcPwn
Asking more than NBA tickets for lowers - no thanks. I will probably just head down to Rupp and try to buy one on the street.

Do people really pay $250 to see a college basketball game?

You'll pay more more for good seats from a scalper unless you wait until after the game starts. Most of the seats they offer are bleachers. $250 is the market for a game like Va Tech I'd think.

Do people actually pay to watch an NBA game?

You would pay to see a bunch of 18 year olds and not to see Steph Curry or LeBron James? I don't get that.

I've been to a ton of NBA games. I love the NBA. Been a Celtics fan almost as long as I've been a UK fan. But I've never paid more than $75 for a good lower level seat. Just got good lowers for Sixers vs Kings next week for $65. Last year I bought 10 game package for the Sixers, good corner lowers for $55 each.

I paid $75 for tickets to the Monmouth game in Madison Square Garden, which is about 200 times better than Rupp Arena. So I don't really feel like $200+ for a UK game is reasonable. I'm going to be in Lexington Saturday and haven't been to a home game since 2004.

Good point. Best win is a close one vs Ole Miss. See where the line is...I can see it going either way.

Right now KP has us a 6 point favorite. Sagarin a 5 point favorite. I'd guess Vegas would be similar.

I'm not sure I'd touch this one if I was betting.

ESPN BPI index is giving Va Tech a 51.5% change of winning at Rupp. This is going to be an interesting line when it comes out. Could be some big money to be made on Va Tech if the line is UK -6 or -7 where it is suppose to be.

VA Tech leads the nation in points per shot at 1.66 and adjusted field goal % at 64.2%. They rank 4 in assists per game and 10 in assist-turnover ratio (1.543). KY ranks 138th in that category. The 2 biggies are VA Tech ranks 2 in 3pt % whereas we rank 231st in opponent 3s made per game and they start 3 JRs, 1 SR, 1 FR. This is exactly the team we really don't want to face.
I don’t think BPI is very accurate this early in the season, much like RPI, as it doesn’t have much data to work with.

We will stop VA Tech, they haven't seen the likes of UK yet. Their reliance on the 3pt shot will be their downfall. See a lot missed 3's turning into easy transition points for us. Time for the Cats to steadily put thatfoot on the gas and go. Go Big Blue! Knox goes for 30....

Back to the VIRGINIA TECH game......

VT only has one player (6'10"/260) who is bigger than 6'6" out of their top ten (average 6'4") contributing players!

So IMO, I believe the game will be decided on UK's turnovers, rebounding and 3-pt defense versus VT's experience advantage, 3-pt offense and their on ball pressure.

Haven't we won over 90% percent of our games in Rupp since it opened?
I think we have a pretty good home court advantage, probably no need to mess with it. Unless there is a way of me getting lowers without costing me an arm and a leg. More students? Meh

ADVERTISEMENT