ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia Tech

Roe07

All-American
Dec 16, 2007
Bluegrass State
This will be a tough game next week for our young team. The Hokies should be 9-1 coming into Rupp and they throttled the same Washington team by 24 that beat Kansas. They've also got two other decent wins over Iowa and Ole Miss. Buzz Williams is an underrated coach whose teams always play hard, so if we're not ready to play we could go down. Can't take them lightly by any means.

They have a potent offense but it isn’t as good as UCLA’s or UNC’s offense from last year. They have a bad loss to St. Louis and Ole Miss had them beat before blowing it down the stretch and loss in overtime. Since Ole Miss took them to overtime and had a lead almost the entire game I feel a little better about our game with Tech. Also Washington lost to Providence as well, they just simply pulled an upset over Kansas, and Washington loses that game eight out of ten times.

This is a second round type opponent.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Agreed OP. This will be our best test since KU. We've had our fill of cupcakes. It's all P5 and SEC opponents from here on starting with the Hokies. I'd have to go to Jon Scott's wonderful site to see for sure, but I don't think we've played them very often over the years. I grew up not that far from Blacksburg so I'm looking forward to it.

So what's Duke and kansas' secret? Figure out a way to raffle of tickets, do something. That's a big student body, there has to be a large portion of wild fans.. And it's not like UK is in Manhattan or LA.

No reason you can't get several thousand students and wild fans.

Our student sections, from the few games I've been able to attend, are never as loud.

I get that the arena is much larger, and that has its own benefits too, but they need to make it a more "hostile" environment.

Virginia Tech does score a lot of points and they shoot around 45% from 3 point. They haven't really played anyone and there RPI is near Monmouth's RPI and SOS is in the Mid 200's. They were beat by St. Louis and should have lost to Ole Miss. We will have to play tough defense and 3 point defense to beat them next week at Rupp. If we can play tough defense and stop the 3 point we should win this game next week. We just need to cut down on Turnovers and not have 19 like today and we should be OK. I like how our offense looked today and we didn't have Knox scoring around 20 today and still scored 93. The next 3 games with VT, UCLA, and UL will be tougher games but if we continue to improve with our offense and defense we could be 11-1 heading into SEC Play.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
That's funny, our students are pathetic at both football and basketball games. Maybe you should check your facts closer. UK students are horrible.

How could our students be that bad. How could Kentucky have such a fanbase and be so awful in the college age demographic?

There has to be a contingency of students who would go nuts at games. That can't be something that all these other schools have but we don't.

Agreed OP. This will be our best test since KU. We've had our fill of cupcakes. It's all P5 and SEC opponents from here on starting with the Hokies. I'd have to go to Jon Scott's wonderful site to see for sure, but I don't think we've played them very often over the years. I grew up not that far from Blacksburg so I'm looking forward to it.

I don't think we've played VT since the second round of the '96 NCAA Tournament.

VT will look like the Warriors after this shitfest of a schedule we have played

VT will look like the Warriors after this shitfest of a schedule we have played
The mid majors UK played are predicted to finish in the top four of their conference and win 20 plus games, so it’s not a shit fest of a schedule. Also UK played this schedule to help the freshmen mature before playing P5 opponents.

Would you rather play terrible P5 opponents like IU and Wisconsin just to say we played P5 opponents?

So what's Duke and kansas' secret? Figure out a way to raffle of tickets, do something. That's a big student body, there has to be a large portion of wild fans.. And it's not like UK is in Manhattan or LA.

No reason you can't get several thousand students and wild fans.

On campus arenas make a big difference.

Those that are fortunate enough to be their need to get off their asses and cheer on the team. This is a game we could lose. Freshmen can feed off a raucous crowd.
Unless you're going or attend on a regular basis (which is highly doubtful) be quiet. Thanks.

It really wouldn't take much work to make Rupp Arena an absolute bear to play in. Time to shrink the blue hairs and start adding more students.
This sounds nice but the students can't even fill up the Eruption Zone. The students have proven they can not be counted on to fill up Rupp. The blue hairs do.

I can't believe fans are actually anxious about this game. I say bring em on. I'm glad the competition is taking a bump. Buzz always has a disciplined team that competes.
The upcoming games should give us a better idea if the Cats are improving and progessing. I know this team is young and likely has a fragile pysche but you don't develop resolve without being tested.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
ADVERTISEMENT