ADVERTISEMENT

Villanova in serious trouble vs. Butler

It would be nice to be able to root for Butler in this game so that we could leap frog Nova in a seed line.

Butler fans were doing the 'OVER-RATED' chant a couple minutes ago. I'm not the biggest fan of that, but Villanova does deserve it today looking this bad against an 8-13 team.

73-61 final. Butler wins.

Understandable. It's tough watching them not just struggle, but blowing so many winnable games.
It’s just painful, ugly basketball. We’ve played two good games all season. The first Florida game and the UT game last week. Even in the UT game our offense was terrible in the second half, but we did play good defense the whole way. We played OK, but far from great in the LSU game. That’s all I got for this miserable season. There have been other good spurts here and there, but far more terrible stretches that cancel them.

If you want to see what Askew will be in 3 years, watch Collin Gillispie. They are both the same size and have the same type of athleticism.

Is that good enough in a Calipari system? Well first, I doubt he stays here 4 years, but I watch Gillispie and I see a guy that should be a back up pg. I don't see him getting past anyone and scoring at the rim.

Fair enough. But I like watching other teams outside of UK. To each their own.

I watch everyone play and I mean everyone. Well just about. Not really watching much SWAC and MEAC action but follow most everyone. Kentucky is my favorite but obviously unlike most here I do care about how some other teams do. Some can't understand it but to each their own. What bothers me is the ones that not only can't understand it but attack me about it and say nasty stuff I mean how hard is it to root for a few different teams when there are 357 teams and they almost never play against each other ?

If you want to see what Askew will be in 3 years, watch Collin Gillispie. They are both the same size and have the same type of athleticism.

Is that good enough in a Calipari system? Well first, I doubt he stays here 4 years, but I watch Gillispie and I see a guy that should be a back up pg. I don't see him getting past anyone and scoring at the rim.
I know the Walls and Foxes are few and far between, but if Cal wants a lightening quick PG that can blow by defenders and get in the paint, why does he continue recruiting players that can’t do that? Green, Askew, Hagans, Quickley, etc. Hagans could get there but he couldn’t finish. Quickley turned into a very good player because he could shoot and he worked hard, but wasn’t he recruited as a PG? Don’t get me wrong, I love Quickley and would love to have more like him, but he didn't seem to fit the mold Cal desires.

I watch everyone play and I mean everyone. Well just about. Not really watching much SWAC and MEAC action but follow most everyone. Kentucky is my favorite but obviously unlike most here I do care about how some other teams do. Some can't understand it but to each their own. What bothers me is the ones that not only can't understand it but attack me about it and say nasty stuff I mean how hard is it to root for a few different teams when there are 357 teams and they almost never play against each other ?
I’m also a WKU fan, but I received my B.S. and grad degree from there so it’s only natural. At least I’ll possibly have them to pull for in the NCAAT.

I know the Walls and Foxes are few and far between, but if Cal wants a lightening quick PG that can blow by defenders and get in the paint, why does he continue recruiting players that can’t do that? Green, Askew, Hagans, Quickley, etc. Hagans could get there but he couldn’t finish. Quickley turned into a very good player because he could shoot and he worked hard, but wasn’t he recruited as a PG? Don’t get me wrong, I love Quickley and would love to have more like him, but he didn't seem to fit the mold Cal desires.
Oh he's recruiting them, but they ain't coming.

But unlike 2010-2016, the Wall and Fox type guys aren't as plentiful, especially now that they can go straight to the GL.

Cal is going to have to find veteran guys through the transfer portal. Hickman and Skyy are not the answers.

Oh he's recruiting them, but they ain't coming.

But unlike 2010-2016, the Wall and Fox type guys aren't as plentiful, especially now that they can go straight to the GL.

Cal is going to have to find veteran guys through the transfer portal. Hickman and Skyy are not the answers.
There are lots of very good quick guards out there that aren’t necessarily 5 stars. We get beat by them on a fairly regular basis. The problem is Cal doesn’t want to recruit them unless they’re 6’3” with long arms regardless how quick they are. Again, there aren’t many like Wall and Fox out there that check all of his boxes, but there are plenty of extremely quick and speedy guards to be had.

I could care less about any other teams

there are 40 thread topics on the first page you can click and read on. Why do you click on a thread that is obviously about other teams if you couldn’t care less about other teams? Just strange and seems like you just wanted to take a shit on someone else’s message board discussion.

I know we've both seen plenty of good physical college guards that score well at the rim by going through defenders (and frequently drawing fouls in the process) rather than going around defenders with blazing speed. Plus, the ability to change speeds and direction will get the job done just fine also. Lots of ways to skin a cat (or wildcat).

Unfortunately, I know we haven't seen much evidence of any way for Askew yet. Still, I'm not ready to bail on him. He's not ready and should never have been put in the position of UK's starting PG. Doesn't mean he won't get much, much better when he grows up. I don't know if Askew will pan out, and if he does it may be off the ball instead of at the point; but, by reputation he's a very hard worker and I believe he'll eventually be a good spot up shooter. Maybe off the ball does end up being his best position.

I know the Walls and Foxes are few and far between, but if Cal wants a lightening quick PG that can blow by defenders and get in the paint, why does he continue recruiting players that can’t do that?
Part of the reason is Cal’s reluctance to recruit players under 6’3”.

Players like Wall and Fox who have both size and lightning quickness ain’t easy to find. Most “lightning quick” points are little fellas that Cal deems too small ...despite the fact that those little squirts have been consistently kicking our ass in recent years.

there are 40 thread topics on the first page you can click and read on. Why do you click on a thread that is obviously about other teams if you couldn’t care less about other teams? Just strange and seems like you just wanted to take a shit on someone else’s message board discussion.
This is a message board I can respond to any topic if you don’t like it then put me on ignore.

I know we've both seen plenty of good physical college guards that score well at the rim by going through defenders (and frequently drawing fouls in the process) rather than going around defenders with blazing speed. Plus, the ability to change speeds and direction will get the job done just fine also. Lots of ways to skin a cat (or wildcat).

Unfortunately, I know we haven't seen much evidence of any way for Askew yet. Still, I'm not ready to bail on him. He's not ready and should never have been put in the position of UK's starting PG. Doesn't mean he won't get much, much better when he grows up. I don't know if Askew will pan out, and if he does it may be off the ball instead of at the point; but, by reputation he's a very hard worker and I believe he'll eventually be a good spot up shooter. Maybe off the ball does end up being his best position.
Askew will eventually be a serviceable pg, but he doesn't fit Cal's personality or style of play. There are a lot of programs in the top 10 right now that have Devon Askew type point guards, but you'll find that they are juniors or seniors. That's the difference.

Heck, Iowa has two that are not even as strong or athletic as Askew, but they know how to play and win. But, can Cal figure out how to win with a pg that can’t beat his man off the bounce or get into the lane and score over or through people? I just don't know. Askew will never be that guy.

I just hope Cal finds a legit dog type pg for next year, if not, we are screwed. Askew is 2 more years away at least.

Reactions: G-PIP
Part of the reason is Cal’s reluctance to recruit players under 6’3”.

Players like Wall and Fox who have both size and lightning quickness ain’t easy to find. Most “lightning quick” points are little fellas that Cal deems too small ...despite the fact that those little squirts have been consistently kicking our ass in recent years.
Yep. Exactly what I said a few posts prior to yours. Spot on.

Reactions: UK90
ADVERTISEMENT