ADVERTISEMENT

Video: Mulder Posterizes James Young in 2013

But it does show the level of athlete he is. A segment of our fan base thinks if you weren't a mickyD AA that's in the NBA within 2 years then you are a bust or a scrub. Sometimes people decide to take a different route (he was recruited by IU and didn't go). And sometime other peak a year or two after highschool from a physical and mental standpoint on how they approach the game.

Kid is an athlete with very good basketball skills. I think he will surprise some people. He won't be the go to guy here but can easily fill Bookers shoes as a zone buster.

I love that he is athletic, but I am more concerned about his 3 pt %, which is great, and his defense, which we won't know until he suits up.

Originally posted by MdWIldcat55:
To score on a lock-down defender like James Young shows me something.

(Actually, I was glad to see this. Kid is clearly athletic and aggressive. His 3-point shooting percentage in JUCO is higher than Lamb's or Booker's at UK --- or either of those guys in HS, if you want to use the 'weaker' competition argument.)
He shot around 45% right?

I think Lamb was around 48-49% at UK.

Originally posted by WildMoon:

Originally posted by MdWIldcat55:
To score on a lock-down defender like James Young shows me something.

(Actually, I was glad to see this. Kid is clearly athletic and aggressive. His 3-point shooting percentage in JUCO is higher than Lamb's or Booker's at UK --- or either of those guys in HS, if you want to use the 'weaker' competition argument.)
He shot around 45% right?

I think Lamb was around 48-49% at UK.
Lamb was 47.5 in his career. Lamb dropped a little after his first season. Mulder shot about that his Sophomore season, which (as I recall) was better than his first year. They are very close.

But we should remember that Juco level is not the same as what Mulder will face at UK.Kid looks to be good but has to prove it against the best.

Originally posted by bookerfan66:

But we should remember that Juco level is not the same as what Mulder will face at UK.Kid looks to be good but has to prove it against the best.
And the PG to set him up is not the same level as Juco.

Well the defense he will face will be much tougher.I'm not ready to proclaim him better than Lamb or Booker yet.

Originally posted by ukmelanie:

Well the defense he will face will be much tougher.I'm not ready to proclaim him better than Lamb or Booker yet.
The issue of comparing his play in JUCO to what it will be in D-1 is obviously a valid question. However, he is very athletic and I'm pretty sure the dimension of the court are the same in both leagues. The major factor will be if he can defend D-1 players, not so much the offensive stuff, IMO.

This post was edited on 4/20 2:49 PM by SilentsAreGolden

I wonder if we will have to play him at the 3 if we miss out on the recruits.Alex just doesn't belong there and we might not have a choice.

The competition comparison would be a concern if he was a slasher type. But shooters can shoot against anyone on any court if left open. Our guys don't normally shoot forced 3s. They are open 3s off the kickout. The question is if he can play D at this level to stay in the floor. He's athletic so I would say yes.

It's true that he'll be facing tougher competition at this level, especially if he picks UK over some of the mid-major schools he's been offered by, but he would also be playing with infinitely better teammates here that can set him up for easy shots and are threats to score themselves, thereby diverting some of the lockdown attention he might otherwise receive.

Like SilentsAreGolden said, it'll come down to how hard he's willing to play on the defensive end that will determine whether or not he'll get some major PT, as well as playing confidently and decisively on offense instead of passively. Just going by his length, athleticism, and rebounding stats I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be a respectable defender at the very least if he just gives the effort.

This post was edited on 4/20 3:14 PM by Brando Mac

The question is if he can play D at this level to stay in the floor.

That's my only question too. Can shoot, jump out of the gym and has nice length.

It is very difficult to predict how Juco players will perform in the tougher leagues. But, this "posterizing" thing or these youtube dunk videos to me are generally meaningless. Hey great on a break-away a kid can dunk the ball. But that is not the normal offense. WCS had spectacular dunks, some that should have been on more highlight reels. How much did that ability help when we played Wisconsin? Let me see ball handling skills, lateral quickness, and shooting skills, along with basic fundamentals. That is what is important.

In the 2nd video is that Mulder in all those dunks but the 1st? Whoever is in the one where he is almost doing a 360 is a very athletic guy.

When you posterize a guy you are guaranteed to be in the nba and have a great college career.

Signed
Travis Leslie

No I was thinking of the dude that played for ole miss? That dunked on cousins. Thinking a guy will be good because he posterized another player is like assuming Daniel orton would be great because he broke a backboard lol. All I'm saying is I hope the kid is a good player, but we don't have a great track record with jucos

ADVERTISEMENT