ADVERTISEMENT

Vanderbilt to Draft

The death of UK? Try the death of college basketball. I think we have reached a point where the college game has been locked out of the natural progression of the professional basketball player:

High School --> Minor Leagues --> NBA

In this system, there is no need for college basketball, perhaps not even any room for college basketball. We will all be present for the demise of what we know as college ball. Prepare for the game to be sad, pathetic version of college baseball. Currently, the blue-blood programs are flailing, turning themselves inside-out in an attempt to keep winning. I will always be a UK fan, even when college ball looses all of its panache, but the silliness of renting players for a year is grating on the soul. Just end one and done and get it over with.

This strikes me as a bit of an overreaction. The college game has massive fan bases who fill 20k arenas, and billion dollar tv deals.

The college game isn’t going away. It just isn’t. Transitioning and being altered? Sure.

This strikes me as a bit of an overreaction. The college game has massive fan bases who fill 20k arenas, and billion dollar tv deals.

The college game isn’t going away. It just isn’t. Transitioning and being altered? Sure.

Agreed. Expanding the G-league and salaries won't do much to the game. Lots of people act like not having 5-stars in college will make for a bad product.

But people still love watching Highschool basketball and those games are still very entertaining and compelling, and with a huge talent from off from college.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat and Aike
Yeah but I doubt Cal never wins another title while at UK with the way things are going and UK fans are all about national championships not sec champs. I don’t think Cal will be fired, but he will see the writing on the wall and eventually step down if he’s no longer successful.
What do you mean no longer successful. He is more successful than 95% of college basketball coaches.I feel sorry for you if your whole life revolves around winning NCAA titles. It is a good thing you were not a North Carolina fan when Dean Smith was the coach. He was at North Carolina 36 years and won 2 titles. I guess you would say he was unsuccessful based on your criteria although he is a Hall Of Fame coach based on his time at North Carolina. You sound more like a little spoiled brat. I bet you were one of those kids that would take their ball and go home when you lost. Did you play sports? How many state Championships did you win in high school? I am sure you never played college basketball. I played both high school and college basketball and I know how hard it is to win a championship. Evidently you have no idea. I am waiting to hear your response.

What do you mean no longer successful. He is more successful than 95% of college basketball coaches.I feel sorry for you if your whole life revolves around winning NCAA titles. It is a good thing you were not a North Carolina fan when Dean Smith was the coach. He was at North Carolina 36 years and won 2 titles. I guess you would say he was unsuccessful based on your criteria although he is a Hall Of Fame coach based on his time at North Carolina. You sound more like a little spoiled brat. I bet you were one of those kids that would take their ball and go home when you lost. Did you play sports? How many state Championships did you win in high school? I am sure you never played college basketball. I played both high school and college basketball and I know how hard it is to win a championship. Evidently you have no idea. I am waiting to hear your response.

What college did you play for just curious. That's cool man I am glad good hard work paid off for you.

I hope a lot of you never have to face real pressure in your lives. Nut up and see where the chips fall before you freak out.

I said if he is no longer successful he will step down. I didn’t say he was unsuccessful yet, I said if he starts to not be competitive any more, he will step down.

I'm a broken record on this. But let the kids who have no interest in attending college go pro out of high school. If they or their handlers think they are ready for the grind of professional basketball and the possibility of flaming out then so be it. They are adults.

The guys who won't play for fear of exposing holes in their games or who fear injury hurt the college game. The lack of fundamental basketball skills hurt college basketball. Let
The NBA train them. The quality of play in college basketball is horrible. Some games are unwatchable. The athleticism of the college game will drop. But the quality of play from kids staying together 3-4 years will elevate the college game. The NBA and college basketball used to be two different games. I preferred the college game because of the intensity of the kids playing for the name on the front of the jersey.
It needs to get back to that.

The death of the sport? No. I can definitely see it becoming much more of a niche thing though. I certainly will watch a lot less.

The death of the sport? No. I can definitely see it becoming much more of a niche thing though. I certainly will watch a lot less.

I watched for years when we had limited NBA talent. A Kenny Walker here, a Rex Chapman there.

Had a lot of fun watching Fitch, Daniels, Hawkins...

So I can’t say that I’ll quit being a Kentucky fan or quit watching if we stop getting elite NBA talent. Still a great sport with a lot of passion and excitement.

Honestly, I’m far more jaded about the crooked refs and the lack of fairness re: programs like UNC. I’m always up for watching good, competitive games.

I watched for years when we had limited NBA talent. A Kenny Walker here, a Rex Chapman there.

So I can’t say that I’ll quit being a Kentucky fan or quit watching if we stop getting elite NBA talent. Still a great sport with a lot of passion and excitement.

Honestly, I’m far more jaded about the crooked refs and the lack of fairness re: programs like UNC. I’m always up for watching good, competitive games.
I’d still watch Kentucky games, but that would probably be it. The product will undoubtedly get worse overall. The fact that the best players wouldn’t play in college would lessen the significance to the general public, and I would kinda feel that way too.

Reactions: brianpoe
I’d still watch Kentucky games, but that would probably be it. The product will undoubtedly get worse overall. The fact that the best players wouldn’t play in college would lessen the significance to the general public, and I would kinda feel that way too.

Kind of depends on how extreme it gets. If it’s 10-15 guys, not a huge deal. There will always be some lower tier guys who are better than expected, and upperclassmen who can really play.

If it ever gets to the point that the top 100 guys or whatever are all going to the G-League, different story maybe. But I’m doubtful it gets to that point. Not impossible, I guess, but it’s quite a leap from where we are now.

If it ever gets to the point that the top 100 guys or whatever are all going to the G-League, different story maybe. But I’m doubtful it gets to that point. Not impossible, I guess, but it’s quite a leap from where we are now.

It will never happen unless the NBA expands to 200 teams. The NBA doesn't want that many G League players, and players don't want to have a G League career.

It will never happen unless the NBA expands to 200 teams. The NBA doesn't want that many G League players, and players don't want to have a G League career.

I don’t think it’s going to happen, because I think the G-League has too far to go to rival the entrenched popularity of the college system.

But you wouldn’t need 200 teams to bring in 100 top players a year. You already have 300 or so G-League players, for 26 teams. If every team routinely brought in 3-4 new “recruits” each year (like typical college teams do) - voila.

It has been so ridiculous that Cal has won 4 consecutive SEC tournaments. How dare he do that with a bunch of one and dones.
Do we celebrate SEC tournament titles here as a season accomplishment? Cal has taken us to Final Fours and won a title which any other place would set him up for life regardless of this point forward. With the hype of having the best talent in America year in and year out it starts getting old having kids leave that if they were anywhere else other than UK would not even sniff the draft. When we cut the nets and it happens then so be it and thanks for the title. When we lose the second weekend and still have kids bolt that we’re only on campus not even a year and are projected second round...take the ish elsewhere.

I've never been scuba diving and I do not know any "horse people." [laughing]

All I know is that the NCAA changed the rule and now players can "test the NBA waters" as many times as they want, but they can only tryout for an individual team twice without an agent.

This new rule seems to be driving people nuts here. Gotta get used to change. Just because a player is "testing the NBA waters" does NOT mean they will not return to college. It just means they are seeing where their level of play is compared to where other player's game are at and to get advice on how to improve their game in order to achieve a dream to be a NBA player one day.

I don’t think it’s going to happen, because I think the G-League has too far to go to rival the entrenched popularity of the college system.

But you wouldn’t need 200 teams to bring in 100 top players a year. You already have 300 or so G-League players, for 26 teams. If every team routinely brought in 3-4 new “recruits” each year (like typical college teams do) - voila.
It will be interesting to see how it plays out.My concern is that it will really benefit 2 to 4 players per year while having an adverse effect on 8 to 12 other players per year.Kids and their families will do what they do and live with the outcome but it will be a steady drain on the talent entering college basketball.

Some will disappear into the G league never to be heard from again whereas if they had gone to college and garnered some attention they would have given themselves a better shot at building a longer career in pro basketball.

I think because of Bilas and some of the rest of the media the value( to players) of college basketball has been unfairly diminished because all of a sudden it is fashionable to be on the "pay the players" bandwagon. A year or two down the road it will be all the rage to decry the poor kids who have fallen thru the cracks in this new system and be all about the ones who are on the streets,in jail or living in their parents basement.

Reactions: Aike

All I know is that the NCAA changed the rule and now players can "test the NBA waters" as many times as they want, but they can only tryout for an individual team twice without an agent.

This new rule seems to be driving people nuts here. Gotta get used to change. Just because a player is "testing the NBA waters" does NOT mean they will not return to college. It just means they are seeing where their level of play is compared to where other player's game are at and to get advice on how to improve their game in order to achieve a dream to be a NBA player one day.
So, our players don’t trust what Cal tells them? They have to go to the combines?

The college game lost nothing by Lebron going pro out of high school. College basketball was great when players stuck around for 3-4 years. The myth that these guys skipping college would ruin the game is overplayed and stupid. I'm ready for the sport to get back to being about the university and not the individual. Let them go. Then we can stop with this nonsense about paying players in college.

The college game lost nothing by Lebron going pro out of high school. College basketball was great when players stuck around for 3-4 years. The myth that these guys skipping college would ruin the game is overplayed and stupid. I'm ready for the sport to get back to being about the university and not the individual. Let them go. Then we can stop with this nonsense about paying players in college.

We don’t completely agree on this, but we do in part.

I understand the difficulties involved with Universities paying players, but I think players should be able to profit from their own likeness. I would be in favor of a system where top talent could sign endorsement deals and still go to college, even if the money was placed in trust.

The college game is good for players and good for the NBA, but there is obviously a black market underbelly for a reason. I don’t think you can legislate it out of existence, and I don’t think you can shift it all to the G-League.

Shoe companies want players at certain schools, and will spend a lot of money to make it happen. I would like to see that process come above ground.

Reactions: Ky_Bred_Cat
So, our players don’t trust what Cal tells them? They have to go to the combines?
When my car breaks down then I don't always trust the first estimate. Another set of eyes never hurts.

I didn't mention anything about Calipari or the UK staff, because they are only the first estimate. If a player can test the NBA waters multiple years and have another set of eyes to advice them what they need to do to become a pro, then why wouldn't they?

Do we celebrate SEC tournament titles here as a season accomplishment? Cal has taken us to Final Fours and won a title which any other place would set him up for life regardless of this point forward. With the hype of having the best talent in America year in and year out it starts getting old having kids leave that if they were anywhere else other than UK would not even sniff the draft. When we cut the nets and it happens then so be it and thanks for the title. When we lose the second weekend and still have kids bolt that we’re only on campus not even a year and are projected second round...take the ish elsewhere.
You are not required to be a Ky fan. Go be a Louisville fan. You fit right in with that group. Dean Smith was at North Carolina 36 years with the best talent in america. He only won 2 titles in 36 years. You have no idea how hard it is to win a title. You probably never played High School or College basketball or you would understand how hard it is to win a title. Did you win a state title in high school or a conference championship in college. I bet not.

When looked at from the player's perspective it's not that hard to understand. The question is; can you put yourself in their shoes?

Even if you are a borderline draft prospect, you have nothing to lose from getting feedback except the damn good chance of pissing off fans that don't understand what goes on beyond the pearly gates of their university or state.

This doesn’t make any sense. Cal is telling them to go to the combine to get as much feedback as possible. So then, wouldn’t going to the combine be trusting what Cal tells them?
Well, I guess. I was asking for a friend. He don't understand why Cal would tell them to go there when he knows 100% they wont be drafted????

You are not required to be a Ky fan. Go be a Louisville fan. You fit right in with that group. Dean Smith was at North Carolina 36 years with the best talent in america. He only won 2 titles in 36 years. You have no idea how hard it is to win a title. You probably never played High School or College basketball or you would understand how hard it is to win a title. Did you win a state title in high school or a conference championship in college. I bet not.
Show some GD respect! You are talking shit to Mike Pratt.

When my car breaks down then I don't always trust the first estimate. Another set of eyes never hurts.

I didn't mention anything about Calipari or the UK staff, because they are only the first estimate. If a player can test the NBA waters multiple years and have another set of eyes to advice them what they need to do to become a pro, then why wouldn't they?
Maybe because between themselves and the coaching staff, they should know what they need to work on. That is what my friend thinks.

You really do need to go scuba diving. You might want to start here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT