ADVERTISEMENT

Vanderbilt to Draft

That's not true. I played here. Football. I didn't know of basketball players aspirations in 1996-2000 but I remember growing up hearing how it was a privledge to play for a team such as UK by out of state guys. In the days of Kyle Macy, the goose, the 78 team is year I was born, I remember there interviews later in highschool in the library we had all the paper clippings. Back then it wasn't about the NBA. It was about the School. I'm sorry it was Gonzo. I know it's a different culture and time now, I just hate we are the poster boy for it.

It doesn't matter how the times change. The reality is still that those guys were coming to Kentucky because it was the best place for a great player to play basketball.

That's still the case. Their individual motivations may be different, but we've always sold them on this being the best choice for an elite player. They always came here because it was their best option.

Very, very few guys, especially from out of state, came here because of some intrinsic love for the school. They came here for the same reason brilliant kids go to Harvard.

It doesn't matter how the times change. The reality is still that those guys were coming to Kentucky because it was the best place for a great player to play basketball.

That's still the case. Their individual motivations may be different, but we've always sold them on this being the best choice for an elite player. They always came here because it was their best option.

Very, very few guys, especially from out of state, came here because of some intrinsic love for the school. They came here for the same reason brilliant kids go to Harvard.
Yes yes that's right sorry, but NOW it's because UK=NBA$$$$$$
THEN UK= because it was the best school.
You said it perfectly, back then it was like smart kids going to Harvard. It made sense for kids to come here because K E N T U C K Y was the Harvard of Basketball for those that were gifted and talented in Basketball.

But you know that's not the case NOW right?

At the end of the day I can't change any of this. It's best for anyone who disagrees with how things are going today to just keep it to ourselves. Venting is OK but in the end we can not change anything. Best thing we can do is wish everyone the best and still support our team.

Not saying I'll be surprised if one or multiple guys of ours makes a bad decision and leaves when they really shouldn't, but I seem to recall at least one interview Cal did after the season predicting that he expected/possibly outright encouraged most of the guys to test the waters. So I don't think we should of been as shocked as some of us were, other than the people who were deluding themselves into thinking "No way we lose more than two guys after this season."

You if you haven’t figured it out yet.
Please help me out. No I haven't figured it out. The only joke I see is that about 90+% of the posters here aren't smart enough to understand how things work. And then when players make smart choices the posters act like heartbroken 15 year old girls. Is that the joke? Or is it something else?

No one immediately ran to the draft. He's getting feedback like every player with pro aspirations should. They've had about 3 times as many guys declare as there are draft spots in recent years. It's a no-brainer to do this.

Again, what does it hurt? What negative effect comes from Jarred Vanderbilt meeting with NBA teams and finding out ways to improve his game? Not what do you want him to do. Not what would you do. Not what do you wish would happen. What does it hurt?

Because if it hurt anything, you can bet someone would have already mentioned it in the last 5 pages.
I already said what I think is negative. My point is, again, guys go to get evaluated and thats fine. They get individual workouts and/or the combine, thats good. What is the point of doing that when you can't workout. I answered your question as best I could, now you answer mine. What can he get from there that he couldn't get in Lexington?

I’m going to wait and see who test the waters and actually returns. I will say, if only one or two return and we have to go into next year hearing that it will take the entire season to be a decent team, myself and many other committed fans are going to really be discouraged.

I’m not naive, I understand Cal doesn’t give a shit what the blue-collar fans think, he’ll just say “we’re young” and “players first” and expect us to all agree.

Reactions: susan2361
The MacDonald's game talking heads said there weren't more than 2/3 players in that game who should be looking to leave after 1 year.

That didn't include Bagley obviously and Trae Young hadn't blown up.

Doesn't really matter what they do. I assume UK will field a team next year no matter what. With Pulliam leaving at least there's another walk on spot opening up.

Reactions: Cindog28
I don't have a problem with any of these kids testing the water and getting evaluated. The only thing is, JV going through this process makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever. The only reason to do this is to go to the combine and work out. JV either will not be able to, because of his foot, or, he will be at about 70% and will certainly not raise his draft status. In fact, he probably cannot even get a decent evaluation of his game. Plus, every time someone else announces for the draft, like Azubuike, he drops that much further down the food chain. What is probably going to happen is that he is going to go through this dog and pony show, have to come back to UK, have his surgery, and not be ready until the season starts. By then, EJM will have gone to the Bahamas and probably moved ahead of him, in the rotation. So, all this is actually counterproductive in his effort to get into the NBA, since it could possibly mean less minutes for him this next season. Just doesn't make sense, and I thought his Dad was pretty sharp.

Someone fill me on in why this is the death of the program and not totally expected and logical.
Sure, see we have folks who would forego the chance to get info on their dream job to possibly make millions and stay in their current position so a bunch of people that they don't know can be happy. These folks at their age (current players) would have definitely said no thanks to this opportunity.

I don't have a problem with any of these kids testing the water and getting evaluated. The only thing is, JV going through this process makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever. The only reason to do this is to go to the combine and work out. JV either will not be able to, because of his foot, or, he will be at about 70% and will certainly not raise his draft status. In fact, he probably cannot even get a decent evaluation of his game. Plus, every time someone else announces for the draft, like Azubuike, he drops that much further down the food chain. What is probably going to happen is that he is going to go through this dog and pony show, have to come back to UK, have his surgery, and not be ready until the season starts. By then, EJM will have gone to the Bahamas and probably moved ahead of him, in the rotation. So, all this is actually counterproductive in his effort to get into the NBA, since it could possibly mean less minutes for him this next season. Just doesn't make sense, and I thought his Dad was pretty sharp.

They are no doubt hoping that an NBA team takes a chance and gives him a guarantee even though he needs surgery. Not impossible, he has a lot of upside.

Yes yes that's right sorry, but NOW it's because UK=NBA$$$$$$
THEN UK= because it was the best school.
You said it perfectly, back then it was like smart kids going to Harvard. It made sense for kids to come here because K E N T U C K Y was the Harvard of Basketball for those that were gifted and talented in Basketball.

But you know that's not the case NOW right?

It's still the case. The goal is to be the school that best provides what elite players want. Sixty years ago it might have been that we were on TV once a year or that we had the best dorms or whatever.

Now it's the NBA and preparation for professional basketball. That's what the best players want.

Please help me out. No I haven't figured it out. The only joke I see is that about 90+% of the posters here aren't smart enough to understand how things work. And then when players make smart choices the posters act like heartbroken 15 year old girls. Is that the joke? Or is it something else?
We're smart enough, at least I am, to understand how this works. But it doesn't mean we have to like it. I am not saying stop recruiting OAD's. That would be stupid. But Cal needs to limit them to 2-3 per year and mix in 2-3 4 stars to develop over 3-4 years. Please don't bring up Shai, who was a borderline 5 star. I'm talking guys ranked 50-125. Guys who aren't just using our program to promote their brand. I want kids who want to be here and play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back.

So, if you're in school for Engineering, and in your first year, and the biggest Engineering opportunity you can get offers open interviews for potential jobs starting at amazing salaries and all of you folks would turn down the opportunity? You wouldn't even go and see what they say?

You can't help but laugh at how fast stuff changes here and how eternally optimistic some are despite this happening every single year.

Example
News that Knox may return hits
Threads and posts blow up
"My gut tells me Knox is coming back,"
"Look at this super team roster we have if Knox comes back"
"I think SGA is coming back if Knox is"

Knox leaves
SGA leaves

"SGA and Knox might be the only ones that leave"

Reality- PJ, Diallo, Gabriel and Vanderbilt all declare (no agent yet) and talks of Quade Green transferring start.

I already said what I think is negative. My point is, again, guys go to get evaluated and thats fine. They get individual workouts and/or the combine, thats good. What is the point of doing that when you can't workout. I answered your question as best I could, now you answer mine. What can he get from there that he couldn't get in Lexington?

The experience of interviewing with teams. Networking. Hearing the feedback from the real people you'll be working for instead of hearing it from your college coach.

Anyone who's ever worked with young people knows the value of a different voice. Even a guy like Cal can be tuned out. They might hear the same thing he's been telling them, but it hits home from the NBA folks.

It wouldn't be hard to argue it's more beneficial for our guys to test the waters and return than to just stay and never declare.

Reactions: wildcatdonf
They are no doubt hoping that an NBA team takes a chance and gives him a guarantee even though he needs surgery. Not impossible, he has a lot of upside.

If he ever proves he can shoot, he has an upside. If he proves he can play more than 14 games without getting injured, he has an upside. I am just not sure that anyone will take a chance on him, with all the warts, when there are several other players available, who can also rebound, but are healthy, and can put points on the board. If JV can get a guarantee, then God bless him, but, if he does, he is more likely to get a GM fired.

Sorry if I sound grumpy but I'm just worn out with this OAD model. Something that is supposed to make winter enjoyable has turned into bad basketball and seeing kids choose our school only because we're the fastest ticket out of town.
Kentucky isn't for everybody but apparently OAD is for everybody at Kentucky.

Seriously it is just something to talk about in the off season and the internet makes it easy. If the internet had been around back in Coach Hall's day we would have talked about , if the NCAAT was held in December he would have won 6 or 7 titles.You old guys will get this.

There is no free lunch every coaching model /philosophy has it's flaws and drawbacks.At the end of the day Rupp,Hall,Sutton,Pitino,Smith and Cal lived and died with what they believed in(I left out Gillispie cause no one including him knew what the hell he believed in)

It is a good idea to test the waters in today's college basketball world,but the key is making the right or best decision with the information you have after you do the testing. Players and their circle may or may not do that for any number of reasons.

In the case of Vanderbilt it is probably more difficult because of his history with injuries.Washington and Gabriel have less of a problem,you are either good enough right now or you are not good enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: seccats04
The experience of interviewing with teams. Networking. Hearing the feedback from the real people you'll be working for instead of hearing it from your college coach.

Anyone who's ever worked with young people knows the value of a different voice. Even a guy like Cal can be tuned out. They might hear the same thing he's been telling them, but it hits home from the NBA folks.

It wouldn't be hard to argue it's more beneficial for our guys to test the waters and return than to just stay and never declare.
Fair enough.

Kentucky isn't for everybody but apparently OAD is for everybody at Kentucky.

Seriously it is just something to talk about in the off season and the internet makes it easy. If the internet had been around back in Coach Hall's day we would have talked about , if the NCAAT was held in December he would have won 6 or 7 titles.You old guys will get this.

There is no free lunch every coaching model /philosophy has it's flaws and drawbacks.At the end of the day Rupp,Hall,Sutton,Pitino,Smith and Cal lived and died with what they believed in(I left out Gillispie cause no one including him knew what the hell he believed in)

It is a good idea to test the waters in today's college basketball world,but the key is making the right or best decision with the information you have after you do the testing. Players and their circle may or may not do that for any number of reasons.

In the case of Vanderbilt it is probably more difficult because of his history with injuries.Washington and Gabriel have less of a problem,you are either good enough right now or you are not good enough.

You may be right. I was thinking that maybe the JV camp does not believe he will ever be healthy enough to play an entire season. If that were the case, coming back to UK would only prove that he is injury prone, and would make him undraftable. So, maybe this is just a desperate attempt to con an organization into a guaranteed contract, and they are just rolling the dice.

Reactions: Cindog28
This a beyond a joke now. I thought Vanderbilt had a bad ankle. How is it suddenly well enough now that he can play at the combine? And another thing, aren't we paying our coach 8 million a year? Shouldn't his opinion on whether a player is ready for the NBA take precedence over some scout who's done nothing?

Honestly, CBB is nothing but a freak show now.

Hell, we now have guys leaving that aren't even projected in the first round, much less the lottery.

Last edited:
Reactions: rivercatinfl
Someone fill me on in why this is the death of the program and not totally expected and logical.

Because he’s shown absolutely zero to indicate he’s NBA ready. He appears to have a chronic foot problem (maybe similar to Sam Bowie’s shin problem that he did everything humanly possible to deflect attention from), he can’t shoot from point blank range, he can’t hit free throws, and he apparently wasn’t chomping at the bit to get his college career started to the point that Cal was getting pissed about it. Some of our fans act like us UK fans that want players to stick around till they reach puberty are just selfish which isn’t the case with me at all. Almost seems like some fans think they’ll get a cut of the NBA money that these kids get. I’m just a UK fan that wants to win another championship and I don’t begrudge a kid leaving early if he’s ready believe it or not. Vanderbilt is NOT NBA ready. Not even close.

Because he’s shown absolutely zero to indicate he’s NBA ready. He appears to have a chronic foot problem (maybe similar to Sam Bowie’s shin problem that he did everything humanly possible to deflect attention from), he can’t shoot from point blank range, he can’t hit free throws, and he apparently wasn’t chomping at the bit to get his college career started to the point that Cal was getting pissed about it. Some of our fans act like us UK fans that want players to stick around till they reach puberty are just selfish which isn’t the case with me at all. Almost seems like some fans think they’ll get a cut of the NBA money that these kids get. I’m just a UK fan that wants to win another championship and I don’t begrudge a kid leaving early if he’s ready believe it or not. Vanderbilt is NOT NBA ready. Not even close.
Thank you. Great post. I'm tired of these idiots on here trying to convince everyone that hates having a different roster every year that we're unreasonable morons.

I'm at the point that if CBB keeps the same system, I would just as soon see it abolished. It's had a great run, but it can't continue with the current system in place.

You typed a whole bunch of words and didn't even come close to answering my question.

Again, why is something that every kid should do suddenly this huge deal that has you guys so upset? What does it hurt to get feedback?

By the way, you said yourself he has major injury history. Why wouldn't you try to get paid as soon as possible when your body could give out on you at any time?

Thank you. Great post. I'm tired of these idiots on here trying to convince everyone that hates having a different roster every year that we're unreasonable morons.

I don’t think that, nor do most of the rational guys on here. What’s frustrating is seeing quite a few posters legitimately calling for our coach to be fired, and acting as if the last 9 year run hasn’t been one of the most successful in school history

I don’t think that, nor do most of the rational guys on here. What’s frustrating is seeing quite a few posters legitimately calling for our coach to be fired, and acting as if the last 9 year run hasn’t been one of the most successful in school history

Yeah, it's quite comical. They will get what they want sometime soon and be crying about not being able to ever make a Final Four again like before.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I am at a loss with our fans sometimes. It is a free opportunity to get feedback. Why wouldn't he take advantage of this? Now if he gets told no shot and still leaves then that is the problem.

Him not going to see what NBA scouts tell him would be stupid. It is for this reason the NCAA made it more friendly for kids to get the feedback. Now nobody can control if they still do something stupid but at least it is an informed stupid decision.

I've only read one page, but I'm sure this will be the best post of the thread. He should come back, but I'll never blame a guy or get on him for getting some pro feedback.

ADVERTISEMENT