ADVERTISEMENT

Vanderbilt to Draft

"Selfish"

Everyone has their own interests and it's fine.

Cal and the players have their own interests and fans have their interests. It's quite simple. Many of us don't give a crap about the basic premise of an individual getting wealthy and going to play ball professionally. We are fans of Kentucky, our "selfishness" is to see Kentucky win and for us to enjoy seeing the program hang banners and add to the tradition; not just serve as a minor league team with no success.

Why so many think that we should all be commanded to just blindly be excited because guys who spent six or seven months on campus, didn't win anything and were super eager to leave, declare for the draft. "It's their dream." Okay. So? Great. I'd like to see Kentucky win 11 championships. That's my dream. Both are okay to have. I'm not going to puff my chest out because a guy is simply getting rich. But you come here, play your heart out, actually add to the legacy then yeah, it makes it a lot easier to cheer you on to get your dreams.

But losing 11 games, get a 5 seed and get bounced by 9 seed K-State and then have six guys possibly go pro, putting Kentucky in a difficult spot to actually get a championship? Why should that make anyone happy? We are fans, not Calipari.
I couldn't have said it better myself. EXACTLY what I was thinking.

You realize it's been a month right? And he was day to day then.

You can need surgery and still work out. Kyrie Irving needed surgery for like a year and a half before finally having it done.
You realize he said he needed surgery, right? You realize he had like a week or 2 to rest for the tournament?

You can keep your head in the sand as long as you want but there are some red flags about his desire to play in a Kentucky uniform.

You realize he said he needed surgery, right? You realize he had like a week or 2 to rest for the tournament?

You can keep your head in the sand as long as you want but there are some red flags about his desire to play in a Kentucky uniform.

And that week or two wasn't enough to be healthy.

He's had an extra month. Seems pretty simple unless you want to see something else.

Again, you can function on a body part that needs surgery. Countless players put it off until the offseason or have minor scopes down to clean things up and kick the can down the road. There's a difference in doing a 30-minute workout and playing elite division 1 or NBA basketball.

I would think finding a reasonable explanation in numerous examples and the publicly available information would be the opposite of having your head in the sand. It seems ignoring all of that to speculate and complain would be having your head in the sand.

There is never a dull day for UK basketball and every day brings a new challenge and adventure for all of us.

C'est la vie or as we say down here, "That's Life"

Again this was told to us was gonna happen. Again, like PJ and Wenyen it's a a statement bout testing waters, it wasn't a tweeted vid. He back...for everyone making it about your wants, how you feel. Get over it. Thses young men are utilizing everything available to make choices. Cal told them to do it. I look at it as a workshop, or test prep course. Who, if your dream is to play in NBA wouldn't be excited to meet scouts/interview with GM's...it's a step of many. I see it as a field trip for a class.
Good luck Vanderbilt, get the information you need. Get healthy and ready to make a run for #9

Reactions: mccollums
Where did THIS one come from? How can he work out if he doesn't have surgery, and how can he work out if he does? Is this his third or fourth surgery??

The most frustrating thing is that this stuff gives the Cal haters (not criticizers .., there’s a difference) and miserable “fans” the perceived ammo to continue to bitch and moan and bitch and moan.

Some of these guys have been shitting on Cal/ UK all season long with the “NIT is a legit possibility” threads and the “Reverse Jinx” threads and the dozen or so “we should replace Cal” posts/ threads.

I mean yeah, it sucks. It’s laughable to think Vanderbilt and co are in any way ready for the nba ... but wtf are we gonna do? Fire Cal?

It’s frustrating and annoying at times, but based off the last 9 years (which is still the most successful run in school history? Sans maybe the 1940’s/50’s) I will continue to give Cal thr benift of the doubt that most years he’s gonna have us right in the discussion for a legit FF run.

Edit- I do believe we need to “tweak” in some way... I do agree that we cant just continue to lose half a dozen players off of mediocre teams every year, but I also believe we’re gonna start seeing swaggy Cal reel in the top tier recruits again based on th FBI scandals / Cheating Duke/ Capel/ Zona etc not being as big of a concern

Lol people getting upset about these young guys leaving. Man let them do what's best for them and there family.

Here is a scenario for you and why this is not a good precedent. What if Cal recruits seven top 30 guys. Two may have small injuries and drag out their playing all year. They play sporadically and know they can still go first round based on history. The other five play and two are definite first round picks. We expect the other three to come back but they don't and all get drafted in the second round. We didn't even make it out of the round of 64 but lose all seven. That is what seems to be happening in the near future. This team should have lost two guys but may end up having none return.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
The most frustrating thing is that this stuff gives the Cal haters (not criticizers .., there’s a difference) and miserable “fans” the perceived ammo to continue to bitch and moan and bitch and moan.

Some of these guys have been shitting on Cal/ UK all season long with the “NIT is a legit possibility” threads and the “Reverse Jinx” threads and the dozen or so “we should replace Cal” posts/ threads.

I mean yeah, it sucks. It’s laughable to think Vanderbilt and co are in any way ready for the nba ... but wtf are we gonna do? Fire Cal?

It’s frustrating and annoying at times, but based off the last 9 years (which is still the most successful run in school history? Sans maybe the 1940’s/50’s) I will continue to give Cal thr benift of the doubt that most years he’s gonna have us right in the discussion for a legit FF run.

If nobody ends up returning and even if Cal replaces all with good players I still don't think we will have a legit final four chance though. We have nine years of data and it seems 30% returning production is the bare minimum we need to return. We should have about 70% for next year and that may dwindle to about 10.

Here is a scenario for you and why this is not a good precedent. What if Cal recruits seven top 30 guys. Two may have small injuries and drag out their playing all year. They play sporadically and know they can still go first round based on history. The other five play and two are definite first round picks. We expect the other three to come back but they don't and all get drafted in the second round. We didn't even make it out of the round of 64 but lose all seven. That is what seems to be happening in the near future. This team should have lost two guys but may end up having none return.

You just created, injured, and tossed out seven hypothetical players *and* determined that their performance would result in a first round loss.

Here's a scenario for why it's a good precedent:

The most talented kid in the country gets hurt the summer he's a rising senior. He tells teams his timetable for a return is the following August but that he may miss the out of conference schedule.

They ask for a more definitive timeline, he turns them away. He sees Cal's history of handling guys properly and commits to Kentucky.

He's healthy by August and he and the other six top 30 players win a championship for the Cats.

Well at least we know we aren’t losing everybody. Richards is returning. LOL But if it comes to losing entire squads yearly, not just the certain first rounders, and we are a 10-loss team every year with early NCAA outs, I’d say if Cal wouldn’t adjust, he’d have a hard time keeping fans continuing to believe.

Smart. He needs to have more feedback. He probably is tired of coming to Rupps Rafters to find out half his teammates are garbage, that he has a fake injury, or that next years recruits are better. I bet that's what NBA scouts and personnel will tell him too.

The more information these kids have the better decisions they can make. He's making the right choice.

Two statements stand out to me:

JV - "This wasn’t an easy decision, but I want to use this process to get an evaluation from the NBA and see where I’m at. I appreciate the support of the staff and the Big Blue Nation while I work through this."

Calipari - "We would certainly welcome Jarred back with open arms and I would love the opportunity to coach him for a full season, but I know he needs to go through this process and see where he’s at."

Unless the NBA surprises all of us, Jarred Vanderbilt will be back next year.

You didn't answer me. Why not go? What does it hurt?
You don't go because you're injured and I don't really think it helps the team or culture for everyone to think they need to immediately run to the draft. It's pointless, he can't workout, he can't participate in the combine. That makes going pointless. Anything he gets from it he could have gotten from Lexington.

Cal is an NBA pimp and we are an NBA farm team. What a mockery of what Kentucky basketball means to the fans and our state.

Reactions: ProfessorOwl
I’m not surprised he entered his name. Actually would have been had he not. It’s the times we live in. There were times and not too long ago that about 8-10 players a year would go from High School or freshman year. Now it’s about That many from one school. You just hope that these kids listen to what they are being told and not go if there is not more than One team saying they may take you in the first round.

The system is broke. It's embarrassing, if I rooted for another team I would say it looks like nobody wants to stay there.
Education obviously means nothing, name on front obviously means nothing.

If people are OK with this, why are you a "fan" here? If Cal didn't create the Kentucky effect NOBODY would come here. I miss Joe B Hall days when we got Top recruits and they all stayed for the most part 4 years!

Back then it was about the name on the front of the jersey. In other words I don't want my Alumni to be a condom that gets thrown in the trash after the player uses us to F@@K the system just so they can get to the NBA.
UK is the ugly lil sister being used just they can get close, and with the beautiful rich sister. Period. Silly shit.

You don't go because you're injured and I don't really think it helps the team or culture for everyone to think they need to immediately run to the draft. It's pointless, he can't workout, he can't participate in the combine. That makes going pointless. Anything he gets from it he could have gotten from Lexington.

No one immediately ran to the draft. He's getting feedback like every player with pro aspirations should. They've had about 3 times as many guys declare as there are draft spots in recent years. It's a no-brainer to do this.

Again, what does it hurt? What negative effect comes from Jarred Vanderbilt meeting with NBA teams and finding out ways to improve his game? Not what do you want him to do. Not what would you do. Not what do you wish would happen. What does it hurt?

Because if it hurt anything, you can bet someone would have already mentioned it in the last 5 pages.

The system is broke. It's embarrassing, if I rooted for another team I would say it looks like nobody wants to stay there.

If people are OK with this, why are you a "fan" here? If Cal didn't create the Kentucky effect NOBODY would come here. I miss Joe B Hall days when we got Top recruits and they all stayed for the most part 4 years!

It's never been about the name on the front of the jersey beyond what the prestige of that name could do for the player. Players have always come here because it's their best option.

Reactions: Cindog28

Everyone always knew they were losing at least three in Knox, Shai, and Diallo.

Back then it was about the name on the front of the jersey. In other words I don't want my Alumni to be a condom that gets thrown in the trash after the player uses us to F@@K the system just so they can get to the NBA.
UK is the ugly lil sister being used just they can get close, and with the beautiful rich sister. Period. Silly shit.

If you hate it so much, why are you a "fan" here? You could at least way and confirm that these guys will be gone before trashing all of them.

WHY didn’t vanderbilt just throw his hat into the ring weeks ago when PJ did?? I read where he said it was a tough decision. What’s tough about announcing without an agent to gauge draft stock?? None of it adds up with him never. Everyone saying he ll be back. I don’t think so. I think he will be a second rd pick and a team will give him guaranteed money as a gamble. Out of the three he is the most ready now except the injury which we have seen not hinder others in the past.

Reactions: Elijah55
He's getting feedback. That is it. The NBA recruits on potential. JV has enormous potential. You would do the same thing.

Either embrace the current landscape or be irrelevant. That is all.

It's never been about the name on the front of the jersey beyond what the prestige of that name could do for the player. Players have always come here because it's their best option.
That's not true. I played here. Football. I didn't know of basketball players aspirations in 1996-2000 but I remember growing up hearing how it was a privledge to play for a team such as UK by out of state guys. In the days of Kyle Macy, the goose, the 78 team is year I was born, I remember there interviews later in highschool in the library we had all the paper clippings. Back then it wasn't about the NBA. It was about the School. I'm sorry it was Gonzo. I know it's a different culture and time now, I just hate we are the poster boy for it.

If you hate it so much, why are you a "fan" here? You could at least way and confirm that these guys will be gone before trashing all of them.

He’s a fan of U.K. not a system. It’s all very simple. We pull for the university of Kentucky not the university of NBA or university of one and done. I think there is legit cause for concern after most of our team has one foot out the door. THis after we had a subpar regular season that led to a crappy seed then get the “luck” some say is needed only to lose to a trash team bc we can’t hit fts.

Reactions: Elijah55
I never trashed anyone. Sure those guys could come back but you're missing the point. If they came back it's because they had to. Who did I trash?

He’s a fan of U.K. not a system. It’s all very simple. We pull for the university of Kentucky not the university of NBA or university of one and done. I think there is legit cause for concern after most of our team has one foot out the door. THis after we had a subpar regular season that led to a crappy seed then get the “luck” some say is needed only to lose to a trash team bc we can’t hit fts.
Thank you, that's perfect explanation.
I'm a fan of UK, always will be.

The time to truly get a problem with this is May30th when the time to withdraw name from draft is over. Till then just see where it goes.

Reactions: Cindog28
ADVERTISEMENT