ADVERTISEMENT

Vanderbilt to Draft

So let’s just say PJ, Vanderbilt, and Gabriel all come back. Does everyone complaining right now take back what they say or not?

Why would they need to take it back? The circumstances would then change. You're talking about the possibility of them returning. Right now, people are talking about them not returning and making their opinions known on the possibility of guys not even projected as first round picks, entering the draft. If they come back, they wouldn't be making the mistake.

Someone fill me on in why this is the death of the program and not totally expected and logical.
He needs surgery on his ankle, right? So he can't really perform at combines so how would this be either expected or logical? The only reason is when he was playing he was so good at rebounding and defense that teams are interested despite his issues. This whole development makes little sense to me, but no, it isn't the death of the program. It should be the death of Cals philosophy though.

"Selfish"

Everyone has their own interests and it's fine.

Cal and the players have their own interests and fans have their interests. It's quite simple. Many of us don't give a crap about the basic premise of an individual getting wealthy and going to play ball professionally. We are fans of Kentucky, our "selfishness" is to see Kentucky win and for us to enjoy seeing the program hang banners and add to the tradition; not just serve as a minor league team with no success.

Why so many think that we should all be commanded to just blindly be excited because guys who spent six or seven months on campus, didn't win anything and were super eager to leave, declare for the draft. "It's their dream." Okay. So? Great. I'd like to see Kentucky win 11 championships. That's my dream. Both are okay to have. I'm not going to puff my chest out because a guy is simply getting rich. But you come here, play your heart out, actually add to the legacy then yeah, it makes it a lot easier to cheer you on to get your dreams.

But losing 11 games, get a 5 seed and get bounced by 9 seed K-State and then have six guys possibly go pro, putting Kentucky in a difficult spot to actually get a championship? Why should that make anyone happy? We are fans, not Calipari.
This does make things hard on Cal, now it is up in the air as to whether some of these guys come back so he has to have all kinds of backup contengencies ready to go.

What joke? Cal has always said he wanted all his players to enter the draft, even his bench players, to get feedback from the NBA. It does not mean they will be going to the NBA. Brad may be next.
Don’t confuse them with facts.

I don't understand why people act like this effects their life in some way. It's the kids life, let them live and learn from it.

At the same time, why do people act like someone else getting rich and playing in the pros impacts their lives one iota and should be our top concern over a program we have followed before these players were ever born?

Why people can't admit their own interests is crazy. Cal and the new crop of players have their interests and fans should have their own. Who would care at all about any of these guys getting rich and living their dream if they played at Duke or Louisville? My loyalty and fandom of Kentucky started before Calipari or any of these players and it will be there after they're gone. Not going to put it on the sideline for a 19 year old who played four months of basketball and then splits as soon as possible.

He needs surgery on his ankle, right? So he can't really perform at combines so how would this be either expected or logical? The only reason is when he was playing he was so good at rebounding and defense that teams are interested despite his issues. This whole development makes little sense to me, but no, it isn't the death of the program. It should be the death of Cals philosophy though.

He's testing the waters. He's getting feedback based on what teams have seen of him. There's no reason not to do this.

I think he's probably gone after next year no matter what happens, so there's no reason not to gather info now.

Why wouldn't he do this? What does it hurt?

Let me say this...if Vanderbilt works out at combine then returns but doesnt plat in Bahamas...im done with him and bopefully so is Cal

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
I told you guys 2 months ago that the Vanderbilt camp was scared his injuries were going to cost him money. They want that paycheck, and the injuries have them rattled.

It only makes logical sense to do this and see where you stand.

That being said, if he needs surgery regardless of whether he comes back or makes the jump, he probably should go ahead and get that done ASAP lol

I am at a loss with our fans sometimes. It is a free opportunity to get feedback. Why wouldn't he take advantage of this? Now if he gets told no shot and still leaves then that is the problem.

Him not going to see what NBA scouts tell him would be stupid. It is for this reason the NCAA made it more friendly for kids to get the feedback. Now nobody can control if they still do something stupid but at least it is an informed stupid decision.
I get your point poster, but how many players at other schools are taking advantage of this freebie?

The Vanderbilt camp knows that NBA teams will wait for young injured players to get healthy (Simmons, Embiid, Fultz...)

But they are scared to death of him playing another season for free, and the injuries keep mounting.

It only makes logical sense to do this and see where you stand.

That being said, if he needs surgery regardless of whether he comes back or makes the jump, he probably should go ahead and get that done ASAP lol
It would make more logical sense IF he could stand without assistance.He keeps putting off surgery,maybe he or his people are afraid after the surgery the doctors will tell him he is done playing basketball.

Cal encouraged all 3 to declare so he could sign the two big grad transfers knowing all 3 would come back and we will be super loaded....

Probably not, but this would be my dream scenario...

I've heard Daum and Travis aren't interested in going anywhere. It might be a good idea to cast a wider net for grad transfer big men.

Good for him. Let him test the waters. The constant selfish hand wringing chicken Little’s are the only ones upset for the young man.

I hope the young man does what is truly best for him.

So do I; however, if we lose all these kids that couldn't get out of the easiest bracket I've ever seen us have, then Cal needs to do what is best for the program and change his recruiting plan.

Oh hell its already broken. It went to shit years ago. That first draft class with Cal may have hurt near as much as it helped. It started all this crap.

How many National Championships and Final Fours do you think we would have had the last 8 years with a different coach?

I love all of our players past and present but someone correct me if I’m wrong. You can only test the waters and come back to school one time.

Why would you use it during a season you played in what 14 games? And some of those hardly played. Even in the games that he did play in he couldn’t hit a shot that was a GD dunk. What if he has a less than expected year and is on the fringe of even being drafted again after next season?

I hate that we live in a time when every reaction has to be so extreme. It was always fairly likely Vando was going to test the waters, even with the injury. He can meet with teams and they can examine him and let him know if they are concerned with his injury or not. Maybe a team is willing to take the risk and get a steal in the draft. It does absolutely no harm to get feedback, and if a team gives him a promise of a guaranteed contract, he should probably take it.

He's testing the waters. He's getting feedback based on what teams have seen of him. There's no reason not to do this.

I think he's probably gone after next year no matter what happens, so there's no reason not to gather info now.

Why wouldn't he do this? What does it hurt?
If he can't workout, he can get feedback thru Cal now. Correct?

Good for him. Let him test the waters. The constant selfish hand wringing chicken Little’s are the only ones upset for the young man.

I hope the young man does what is truly best for him.
I agree... his words "I want to use this process to get an evaluation from the NBA and see where I’m at. " that says it all. He wants to get his evaluation! I'm so tired of the negative Nancy’s on here, Cal himself told us that he’d expect the whole team to put their name in to see where they stand with the NBA scouts. If you don’t get invited to the combine that tells you something, if you get invited you get to have one on one feedback and then make an educated decision.

I dunno if it's just me but I don't sweat this stuff.

Honestly at the end of the day, we'll have a team for next season and it'll have it's share of great players. More than likely we'll compete for a final four and/or title because that's what we've done the majority of Cal's tenure here.

Does it suck if those guys who declared without an agent eventually go? of course. Does it hurt us for next year? no doubt.

But when October rolls around, this will all be forgotten about and we'll be rooting for our guys to succeed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT