ADVERTISEMENT

Vanderbilt "may" try to play in Atlanta, not 100%

Kyle Tucker says for him to play tomorrow it would be as a last resort and only in an emergency scenario.

Maybe Saturday would be an option? Doesn't really sound like it though.

Is emergency situation everyone fouls out? Probably

I don't think it is that extreme. I think it is Cal not wanting to mess with the chemistry from the past 2 weeks, unless he needs to. So in addition to serious foul trouble, I could also see JV coming in if we are getting hurt on the boards, or simply get down by 10+, or go up by 10-15+. The last one gives us a chance to safely add him back into the rotation/chemistry for the F4. If we were to make it to the finals, and meet Duke there, I'm afraid we would get killed on the boards w/out him.

Dean Wade might be willing to risk his future by playing through an injury, but Vanderbilt is not

I wouldn't either. If Wade really is trying to play through a stress fracture, he's an idiot. Just like the big kid from Purdue with the fractured elbow. Go have surgery and get ready for your future. I know it sucks but don't jeopardize your future career just for a small chance to make a Final Four. Bonzie Colson for Notre Dame just broke his foot again, playing in the meaningless NIT. Guys that are potential NBA players should never mess around with injuries.

Dean Wade might be willing to risk his future by playing through an injury, but Vanderbilt is not
They have very different future outlooks. One is worth risking, the other is not.
I don't think it is that extreme. I think it is Cal not wanting to mess with the chemistry from the past 2 weeks, unless he needs to. So in addition to serious foul trouble, I could also see JV coming in if we are getting hurt on the boards, or simply get down by 10+, or go up by 10-15+. The last one gives us a chance to safely add him back into the rotation/chemistry for the F4. If we were to make it to the finals, and meet Duke there, I'm afraid we would get killed on the boards w/out him.

This.

At this point I think Cal is chemistry cautious and dancing with the girl that brought you.

"Emergency use" = foul trouble or a bad matchup where we are getting dominated inside either on the offensive glass or in the post. He is our change of pace if what we've been doing stops working. The 2 teams I could see us potentially needing that is UTAM or Duke. If you get Bagley and Carter off the offensive glass and limit Bagley offensively then they become pretty average.

I wouldn't either. If Wade really is trying to play through a stress fracture, he's an idiot. Just like the big kid from Purdue with the fractured elbow. Go have surgery and get ready for your future. I know it sucks but don't jeopardize your future career just for a small chance to make a Final Four. Bonzie Colson for Notre Dame just broke his foot again, playing in the meaningless NIT. Guys that are potential NBA players should never mess around with injuries.
Yeah, but that perspective usually happens WAY after the fact... In the moment, we all want to play. That's why you would hope those people around them; their parents, friends, coaches, all lead them to make the wise decision, and not the emotional one.

We won it all 2012 with 6-7 guys, this team is playing great right now without JV. His rebounding is nice to have but can you take any of Wenyen’s minutes or Sacha’s for that matter the way their playing?

Must have been one heck of an ankle sprain

"could be" available in an emergency situation.

https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky...ountryUK&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

Well, count it an emergency... "We want to WIN tomorrow."

well-wake-his-ass-up-we-have-a-game-to-win-tomorrow.jpg

We won it all 2012 with 6-7 guys, this team is playing great right now without JV. His rebounding is nice to have but can you take any of Wenyen’s minutes or Sacha’s for that matter the way their playing?

No. Gabriel's offense has been a great boost for us, and Sacha's size has been helping. Sacha just has to keep playing with toughness, rebound the ball, and be a clean up man. The only minutes Vanderbilt should take, at this juncture, is Richards. And even Nick has been playing better (still has a long long way to go but he's improving)...so it's far from doom and gloom if Vando can't go.

Reactions: FlCATFan
Ideal situation is he doesn’t start but plays some sparing minutes when we are up because I do think the “chemistry” concerns others pointed out have some validity. He’s a great kid, don’t get me wrong; however, others are stepping up and never know how their young psyche might react in his return. Would be good to be able to feel this out during a big win and ease him back

The only thing this whole situation indicates to me is thay Vanderbilt is gone after this season.

More doctors and realists in here.

Not a single person has answered why a healthy Vanderbilt wouldn't play or what they think Cal is protecting him from.

From the get go, Cal said if he wasn't virtually 100% that he'd hurt us by being on the floor. We haven't seen him out there. Seems pretty simple.

But it also seemed simple when Cal and Diallo were transparent about the plan when he enrolled here and that didn't stop many of the same people from making up their own stories.

Im four games from winning a National Championship and I have a 3 week old "sprained ankle"? Look get real the kid, if he does sit out almost a month from an ankle sprain will be out of shape and not in sinc with the rest of the team anyway.

If its that bad he needs to go back to Lexington and put it in a tub of ice and see what it all looks like by lets say Derby Day.

This ankle sprain will make the medical books as the longest, worst ankle sprain in the history of the universe. Ive heard high ankle sprains taking 3 weeks to a month but this is not that.

Wow, sit on the bench through a Championship run.

Ohhh Well,

Weber and Cal are not going to come out and say exactly how they plan on using their injured players. So I wouldn't speculate too much on this comment.

Probably only 2 scenarios are possible

1. Vanderbilt doesnt play at all Thursday
2. Vanderbilt plays spot minutes, to get re-acclimated and to help with foul trouble and tired players

Thats about it, and we likely wont know til the game is played. Makes no sense for Cal to tell Weber whether Vanderbilt will play or not.

Im four games from winning a National Championship and I have a 3 week old "sprained ankle"? Look get real the kid, if he does sit out almost a month from an ankle sprain will be out of shape and not in sinc with the rest of the team anyway.

If its that bad he needs to go back to Lexington and put it in a tub of ice and see what it all looks like by lets say Derby Day.

This ankle sprain will make the medical books as the longest, worst ankle sprain in the history of the universe. Ive heard high ankle sprains taking 3 weeks to a month but this is not that.

Wow, sit on the bench through a Championship run.

Ohhh Well,
To clarify, you actually have no idea what kind of sprain he has. High-ankle sprains are a bitch, and that could very well be what JV is dealing with. Still think we see him if we make the elite 8

Jared Vanderbilts per 35 min stats are 12 points 17 rebounds 3 steals 4 assists 3.5 blocks. With a 3 to 1 assist to turnover ratio per game. He is also by far our best interior defender. Wenyan and Jones stats are not even in the ball park. Plus they give up almost as many points as they score by being out of position. Besides for JV to get 10 or 15 min. U give him all of Nick's min and a couple a minutes from PJ, Jones, and Gabriel.

Look all this traveling is hurting the guy. Send him home. He is trying to get ready for the NBA and he just needs better treatment than he is getting. Like Cal said "My guess is no". What do you say we dont guess anymore. Send him home let him get the proper medical treatment. Right now this traveling to games, sitting on the bench is setting back his health treatment.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
This isn't Jarred Vanderbilt's fault. Cal clearly stated he didn't feel comfortable with playing him unless he was 95-100% which he is not. A guy with injury history takes longer to heal, it's just how it goes.

ADVERTISEMENT