ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT/Soccer Thread

We had lots more chances in 2H. Could have been 4-0. Dutch didn't even challenge goal in 2H.

I thought Lavelle was the MVP. She's the glue, the distributor. Going forward, she's the star. Rapione likely gone. Morgan will be on downhill side if around.

We’ve got several which are awesome. Press, Pugh, Davidson, etc. All will secure the future for the USWNT. The only issue is that other countries are catching up. I figure the team will stay mostly the same for the coming Olympics though.

-the US is *lightyears* ahead of the rest of the world as it pertains to womens team sports. There is still a stigma about women playing sports in europe(coming around)/asia/south america/mexico/central america/africa. Shining city on a hill, indeed.

Yeah but I feel like the world is catching up. The women could have easily lost to France or England

We have a good squad just need to add a couple more pieces and mesh more within the next 3 years
I agree. I love how young we are. Wonder how Altidore fits going forward and where is julian green? I think Josh Sargent also is going to be a major factor as well

Reactions: uky8unc5
I agree. I love how young we are. Wonder how Altidore fits going forward and where is julian green? I think Josh Sargent also is going to be a major factor as well
Altidore will make this his last World Cup run. Julian Green is technically back with USMNT after a hiatus, just not on the gold cup squad

The only one to come close on international and club level is Tim Howard and maybe Clint Dempsey.
Brad-Friedel-007.jpg

That's Brad's response to your statement.

What a surprise.

Two worst players - Altidore and Bradley.

Never should have worn the Red/White/Blue after the Trinidad and Tobago debacle

Reactions: KARLITO12
What a surprise.

Why are we playing these guys. They can't help us 3 years from now. Subs at best. Altidore is at best what Carli Loyd was for us this world cup

Typical US - decent/good D with no O. Our best O was to create chaos cause we can't create. Bye Jozy. Bye Gyasi.

Reactions: KARLITO12
What a surprise.

Agree on Bradley but disagree on altidore. He’s still not that old but the manager needs to play at a more effective position like midfielder.

People are just going to have to get over the whole Altidore/Bradley thing. Altidore filled the role he is suited for and flat scuffed that one chance; but his hold up play was necessary and when you are playing Mexico without VAR who else do you want to take knee into the back and not crumble like a bag of chips? Zardes? Do you think Guardado pulls that choking stunt on McKennie if there is VAR? You know when you play Mexico under the environment they had last night some of the Dark Arts of the Sport will be employed and in those circumstances Altidore is a clear and obvious choice as a hold up 9. Altidore scuffed the obvious opportunity--an opportunity it should be pointed out he largely created one-on-one to work free inside the box. I think Sargeant ultimately will be an answer, but he has some ground to cover to get onto the field with Bremen first.

Bradley is there for one reason and one reason only and it is Adams wasn't there. Will Trapp straight up sucks and Chris Durkin seemed to be mirroring Trapp and was awful in the U20 World Cup. The six for the US has had an open casting call and frankly Bradley is the better option among a really dreadful selection pool since Adams wasn't at the Gold Cup. Lift him, flip people around, play people like McKennie out of position are all recipes for even greater folly. There isn't anyone in the Continental US under any illusions that Michael Bradley is our 6 not only in the next World Cup but even in the World Cup qualifying cycle. But somebody has to step forward and that somebody is clearly Tyler Adams and something additonally should be pointed out with regard to Adams and the classic American Soccer Twitter guy freakout...that tucked RB position was largely shelved in Group stage of the Gold Cup, so people can breath easy when it comes to just where Adams will be positioned. A Tyler Adams at the 6 last night salves a whole bunch of wounds but it should also be pointed out...it wasn't Bradley who lost his mark last night on the goal, it was McKennie. I might add that something Bradley can provide was underused I thought in deference to Pulisic and that was set piece service; I honestly think that is a weak part of Pulisic's game and it would be more beneficial to have him peeled off the main group going into the six yard box on corners for shots from distance.

I think it is fair to say that in the next year guys like Pomykal and Weah in particular are going to be formally melted into the player pool; I'd kill for Jonathen Gonzalez to have been a part of it because even he as a B option is light years ahead of Trapp and would seemingly press Bradley out of service. But that didn't happen.

Last edited:
Part of the problem with Bradley stemming back to the 2014 World Cup is that he was being played way out of position; with a Jermaine Jones as your 6 or even as an 8 when they had Beckerman as the 6 Bradley was being asked to play significantly higher than his skill set. He's always been a deep sitting mid who pings long diagonal balls. In his prime that was with an Altidore when healthy and a Dempsey and Donovan while they were still reasonably high quality (which they both were from 2008 to about 2013). Part of that "connection" problem was also an issue with Jones because he tended to get out of position a lot. I can see he can be trucked over a lot and you have to compensate for him if he's on the field which obviously rankles people, but you also can't lose sight of the fact that there simply are no quality sixes in the US talent pool right now outside of Adams.

People won't...it's just such a huge failure at all levels of US Soccer that we never were able to develop anyone better than Bradley. Even at Bradley's best, he is still a liability on the field.

I agree. Granted, I've only seen Bradley as part of the MNT, but he's infuriating. He'll make a good play, then turn around and make several catastrophic ones. Then, you listen to the announcers talk and you'd swear he's phenomenal.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
I agree. Granted, I've only seen Bradley as part of the MNT, but he's infuriating. He'll make a good play, then turn around and make several catastrophic ones. Then, you listen to the announcers talk and you'd swear he's phenomenal.

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perfect example was his play again Portugal in the World Cup. Played fairly well but his terrible turnover at the end of the game directly led to that ridiculous Ronaldo cross that tied the game.

Reactions: BigBlueSean
I am just kinda over it all. If we cannot beat a Mexican side without the likes of Vela, Chicarito, and Lozano---- we are never going to beat them....

Watching Algeria v. Senegal for the African Nations Cup Final. Algeria is a sneaky team to watch for in Qatar. More quality than you think. Play some good football when they are tuned in.

Arsenal had a pretty damn good summer so far:

Martinelli
Dani Ceballos (loan)
Nicolas Pepe
Should close soon on Tierney

maybe add a CB and we address every need.

Arsenal had a pretty damn good summer so far:

Martinelli
Dani Ceballos (loan)
Nicolas Pepe
Should close soon on Tierney

maybe add a CB and we address every need.
I’d say the only player in there that is a guaranteed improvement is Ceballos who is only on loan. Pepe could easily be a bust and Martinelli is a complete ?.

It’s a decent window but they still haven’t addressed their biggest weakness in defense.

The signing of Alex Mendez by Ajax today sure came out of nowhere. I don't know if he realistically sees time with the first team this year, but Ajax is in a very short conversation of Europe's best developmental clubs for young players. Dest is closer, but Mendez in the Ajax structure of movement and distribution will hopefully develop him into more of a both way player; he is very deficient in the ball winning categories of play but very creative in his passing skills and a set piece demon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT