ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT/Soccer Thread

Some of the predictions in this are terri-bad. That is all.

Let's see yours then. Part of it is that its an insanely hard season to predict. Arsenal and Chelsea have new managers with different systems to implement. Man U has major questions with their manager and then you have the fact it is a world cup year and players getting back late.

Reactions: CAT Scratch FVR
Good first half. Man U with a lucky handball--- Leicester looks pretty good. James Maddison is the best player on the pitch. Leicester will score--- Vardy will come on and itll open up. Crazy that at one point Possession was in favor of Leicester 65%-35%.

Everton red card: 1) Defender got ball first. 2) Didn't put studs into W player. Net, yellow at most. Then the shot is given 5 yards closer than foul. Net, W's gifted a tie. Fire the ref.

Reactions: BigBlueSean
Some of the predictions in this are terri-bad. That is all.

It's mostly Sean and his psuedo super soccer fan know it all mentality....so I'm not sure what you'd expect. I watch soccer docs on Netflix/prime/Hulu, and try to follow some of the USmnt future stars, but some of you are just completely insufferable. Soccer just got 'cool' to enjoy and you've got folks who have been following it for 3 years act like lifelong fans [laughing]

It's similar to the Warriors lifelong fans, each has a backstory of how they became a Warriors fan before they started winning. It's okay to be new to something, it's also okay not to be an expert. :rolleyes:

It's mostly Sean and his psuedo super soccer fan know it all mentality....so I'm not sure what you'd expect. I watch soccer docs on Netflix/prime/Hulu, and try to follow some of the USmnt future stars, but some of you are just completely insufferable. Soccer just got 'cool' to enjoy and you've got folks who have been following it for 3 years act like lifelong fans [laughing]

It's similar to the Warriors lifelong fans, each has a backstory of how they became a Warriors fan before they started winning. It's okay to be new to something, it's also okay not to be an expert. :rolleyes:

Where have I ever claimed to be any sort of expert? I've been watching and keeping up with soccer since the Italian league ruled the world in the 90's. I played and I coach. Still doesn't mean I know it all. But I've seen quite a bit of it and understand. Ultimately the predictions in here lieterally go by what every year goes by outside of the Leicester City title year. It's the same 5-6 teams vying for 4 spots and the title. I can make a case for any one of those teams ( Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal, Chelsea) and make cases against all... But it's all extremely predictable for the most part.

Based off today I don't buy Man U or Chelsea. Tottenham got extremely lucky to get 3 pts. If Chelsea is playing anyone else but the leagues worst team they likely get beat. Tomorrow will tell is quite a bit and fill out the rest of the picture. Will be a dogfight for top 4.

Season young, but
1. MC

2. Pool

3. Everybody else to some degree. Tot, Chelsea, Everton, MU upper. WHU, Fulham, Cardiff low.

20. Huddersfield.

Adi, new to FCC, has a weird build: All legs, no torso. Assume he can get up but would expect he could be pushed around.
Looked good to me tonight in 15 minutes. Seemed to get down when passes to him weren't where they should be & when Bone - I think - missed the goal mouth entirely at point blank after a nice Adi back pass from goal line.

How about Tim Weah scoring for PSG? Just playing for them is quite the accomplishment, but scoring at 18 years old is pretty amazing. I mean he gets to play with Mbappe, Neymar, Cavani, Thiago Silva, Buffon, etc. His minutes will go down when they're at full strength but it's nice to have him.

The Prem league really is a 2 horse race. Will be really fun seeing Liverpool and Man City go at it.

Man U is still a cluster F, Tottenham is Tottenham. I think the race for the 4th spot is between who gets their shit together the quickest between Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal.

The UCL will be very fun to watch this year. It is as wide open as it ever has been. Got a feeling that a Prem team gets it. Wouldn't be shocked if its Man City v. Liverpool.

PSG is an interesting team to watch in UCL as well:

ESPN rumors say Zindane interested in Man U job. All for it. Mou did not get what he wanted in transfer window. I believe club was right to deny him. A lot of players he was linked to were ok but not Champions League players, Maguire. He likes veterans which leads to an aging club. Not a fan of his transfer tactics.

Cannot wait until Serie A starts this week!

As a Milanista I am very happy with our transfer market moves. Seem to be very active to close the window:

Still, I love the purchase of Higuain, and IMO Milan got the better of the deal with the swap of Bonucci and Caldara with Juve. The free transfers of Pepe Reina (Napoli), Alen Halilovic and Ivan Strinic give the squad depth. And closing out with Laxalt, a blazing fast LW/LM and Samu Castillejo fortifies the wings and give much needed pace. Hopefully this translates to a top 4 finish and a UCL spot.

Soccer is just better when AC Milan and Inter Milan are relevant.

Which group of attackers would you take from each of the big 4 leagues?

Based on Goals scored last year:

Premier League:
Sergio Aguero - 21
Harry Kane - 30
Jamie Vardy - 20
Raheem Sterling - 19
Salah - 32

Total: 122

La Liga:
Messi: 34
Suarez:25
Aspas: 22
Stuani: 21
Griezmann: 19

Total: 121

Serie A:
Ronaldo- 26
Immobile- 29
Icardi - 29
Dybala- 22
Mertens- 19

Total: 125

Bundesliga:
Lewandowski - 29
Nils Peterson - 15
Mark Uth - 14
Kevin Volland- 14
Timo Werner - 14

Total: 86

No shame in losing to Chelsea at the Bridge.

Hate that a dbag who murdered a woman via drunk driving and should be in prison scored the winner.

GDI

Mourinho to me is suffering the same fate as Wenger did---- his way he approaches the game is outdated.

There is no reason for Man U to take a loss like they did this week. And they have the personnel to play a more pressing, up-tempo pace.

They have forwards in Lukaku, Sanchez, Lingard, Rashford, Martial that could thrive at playing a more proactive, uptempo game.

They have a well rounded midfield with Pogba, Herrera, Matic, Fellani, Mata

And a wealth of very solid defenders.... (I am a big Luke Shaw fan)

It Really isnt that hard:

4-2-3-1

De Gea
Shaw, Bailly, Smalling/Jones, Valencia
Matic, Herrera/Felani
Sanchez, Pogba, Martial/Lingard/Rashford
Lukaku

No shame in losing to Chelsea at the Bridge.

Hate that a dbag who murdered a woman via drunk driving and should be in prison scored the winner.

GDI

This is going to be a process. A Long one. And Arsenal wasn't helped at all by the fact their 1st two games were the defending champs at home and at a very good Chelsea team. This system is not going to work for some of our players. Others are thriving. I dont see where Ozil can play if he cannot commit to doing more work pressuring the ball. I love that Emery called him out the 1st game and said he needed to work harder and then subbed him against Chelsea. Iwobi and Mkhytarian are really finding their places. I think Torreira has to play centrally. Getting Koscielny will help our defense but I have no faith in Mustafi and Sokratis. In January we might need to address that.

Which group of attackers would you take from each of the big 4 leagues?

Based on Goals scored last year:

Premier League:
Sergio Aguero - 21
Harry Kane - 30
Jamie Vardy - 20
Raheem Sterling - 19
Salah - 32

Total: 122

La Liga:
Messi: 34
Suarez:25
Aspas: 22
Stuani: 21
Griezmann: 19

Total: 121

Serie A:
Ronaldo- 26
Immobile- 29
Icardi - 29
Dybala- 22
Mertens- 19

Total: 125

Bundesliga:
Lewandowski - 29
Nils Peterson - 15
Mark Uth - 14
Kevin Volland- 14
Timo Werner - 14

Total: 86
EPL deepest, so harder. Ronaldo number inflated by LL lack of depth, he's older, & in tougher league. Net, won't repeat numbers.

Dempsey retiring. US soccer really slighted both him and Donavan at the end of their careers.

I dont think we slighted him at all. To me we played him far too long. Time for new faces to be integrated.

Reactions: vhcat70
Good game between Germany and France in the UEFA Nations League openers. France still look soo good. They can strike sooo quickly. Mbappe easily the best player on the pitch.

Also watching Wales it makes me wonder how good England would be if Wales didn't have their own team and had Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey

Nice game by Pulisic even though BvD sucked.

FFC might be as good as bottom rung MLS teams now. I'm going in on 2019 season tickets with my son & family. Let me know if interested next year. May have some.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT