ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT/Soccer Thread

Pretty crazy the Crew are likely moving. I feel bad for the original teams that used the older model for stadiums and now can't compete. A stadium has to be in the urban core (for now).

Here's my Twitter thread that shows how this was calculated from the moment the current owner bought the team.

Just saw where Sam Allardyce, former England manager is interested in US Job.... Thoughts?

The Crew TV situation a few years back seemed like a weird deal when it happened, but kinda makes sense now. Only people who could watch locally produced games would be those out of market on MLS Direct Kick.

Just saw where Sam Allardyce, former England manager is interested in US Job.... Thoughts?

Well, he managed England for exactly 67 days and 1 match before he was dismissed for "allegations of misconduct."

Is that what we are looking for? I say no.

Remember BBS, just because it comes from across the pond, does not mean it is good.

Well, he managed England for exactly 67 days and 1 match before he was dismissed for "allegations of misconduct."

Is that what we are looking for? I say no.

Remember BBS, just because it comes from across the pond, does not mean it is good.

Wasn't saying that. Im not a fan of Sam. Just sharing what came across my phone.

Also, England u-17 just beat Japan in Penalties. Will be USA v. England in quarters of U-17 world cup.

Also, UEFA Playoff Draw just finalized:

Northern Ireland v. Switzerland
Croatia v. Greece
Denmark v. Republic of Ireland
Sweden v. Italy

Pretty bad draw for Italy...

Big Sam, article says mix of new school/old school. Played in America, accustomed to developing talent as his stops he has rarely inherited talent.
Reyna's comments on arrogance of US coaching from youth level up is spot on. Same guys always in charge, refuse to learn what others are doing. Think training methods in US best.

Big Sam, article says mix of new school/old school. Played in America, accustomed to developing talent as his stops he has rarely inherited talent.
Reyna's comments on arrogance of US coaching from youth level up is spot on. Same guys always in charge, refuse to learn what others are doing. Think training methods in US best.

I mean one of our most admired coaches is Bob Bradley. Swansea called him "Teddy Roosevelt" because when he was the coach at Swansea thats how outdated his training regiments were....

England defeats Brazil 3-1 in U-17 Semi Final....

Spain is up 2-0.

Would be highly impressive if in consecutive years England won the U-20 and U-17 World Cups...

England defeats Brazil 3-1 in U-17 Semi Final....

Spain is up 2-0.

Would be highly impressive if in consecutive years England won the U-20 and U-17 World Cups...

I watched the entirety of the US/England match and the US was chasing the game from the start, but perhaps bigger picture and it was clear from the outset...England is exceptional with their midfielders and their attackers and it's no accident that Rhian Brewster put a hat trick on the Brazilians today just as he put a brace on the US over the weekend. The US had multiple opportunities to score but one unlucky break (the bound off the Sargent header on the crossbar) was a harbinger of things to come.

England looks poised to win the whole thing at this point; and to potentially win out in total command of the US, Brazil and potentially Spain without the services of Jadon Sancho being called up to Dortmund midtourney tells you they appear to be poised to bridge that gap they seemed to have in Europe between the Germans, Spain, Portugal and France and themselves the last World Cup cycle plus.

Mission Accomplished.

No Altidore or Giovinco for first leg in Columbus 11/21. Come on boys.

Anyone going to the USL cup final in Louisville next monday!? Should be a great time!

Took 17 min for Weston McKennie to get a goal.... I really like this midfield. Completely different than anything we saw in WCQ.... Energy and Physicality

2 things:

FC Cincinnati will be announcing a stadium deal shortly. The owners are now willing to pay for the entire thing with private money. It will likely be in Oakley, a suburb about 10 miles NE of downtown if the county agrees to spend about $75 million prepping the location for the build or in Newport if they don't. We should find out for sure by Thanksgiving.

US Soccer may be stealing my idea. A little tournament with Netherlands, US, Italy, Chile, Ireland would be awesome

http://www.espnfc.com/united-states...-pre-world-cup-matches-with-netherlands-italy

Yup, the Lindner family is apparently going to foot the bill for the Stadium. Taxpayers will have to pay for the infrastructure.

We're out as the jersey sponsor. We had Toyota corporate willing to go up to a million, Mercy Health came in with around 5.5 Million.

Obviously, the Cincinnati and Northern KY Toyota Dealers weren't going to match that.

As much as I would like to see the team in Newport, I think it would be more successful in Oakley.

Curious how traffic will get in and out of Oakley...I would have thought just west of Washington Park, rail yards maybe a good location?

Curious how traffic will get in and out of Oakley...I would have thought just west of Washington Park, rail yards maybe a good location?

I moved out of that area 3 1/2 years ago. There are new entrance/exit ramps that have been built in the last 2, but they will definitely need to add more infrastructure to support 25k per game.

The Ridge Road/Duck Creek/Kennedy/Norwood Lateral area.

Getting on 71 after seeing a movie at Oakley Station is completely different than it used to be.

And this is supposed to be going on right now...

"ODOT plans to remove the northbound Ridge Road exit and extend the second-to-right lane all the way to the Red Bank Road exit. A second dedicated left-turn lane will be added at the foot of the remaining Ridge Road exit, and Ridge Road will be widened to accommodate two lanes’ worth of traffic."

Last edited:
Apparently the county commissioners are shooting down the proposal saying that they should play in Paul Brown. Of course, the MLS won't allow this, so looks like Newport FC? Or KFC?

Why can't they play in Paul Brown? Atlanta, Seattle, New England, Vancouver, and NYCFC all share stadiums. So why not Cincinnati?

Is MLS saying the only way to get in is if you have a soccer specific stadium?

Yep, pretty much. Detroit is proposing the use of Ford Field, but they have control over it. One of the FCC solutions that I heard was for UC to sell Nippert to the Lindners (FCC) and then they'd have control over it. In turn UC would get use of it for free.

It makes no sense to me, but MLS makes their own rules.

If you're into MLS expansion, it's pretty crazy right now, particularly in Cincinnati. The Cincinnati City Council is scrambling to try and get a good enough deal to have the team stay in Cincinnati. Rumors are the Newport site are all but completed. Everyone here has an opinion on it. I 'think' if they finalize a stadium deal by 12/1 they'll get in, but Columbus moving to Austin complicates things, likely for the better for Cincinnati.

Most feel they'll pick 2 out of Sacramento, Cincinnati, and Nashville in December.

I care that I we don't have to keep watching has beens that have been for 3+ years already. Portugal game was a farce. Who GAS.

I care because I think this will force us to take a look at the next level types of things we need to be addressing in US soccer.

We've now developed the type of academy system we need in america for young "kids".

Now we need to address the massive disadvantage we have for our 16-18 year olds who are good enough to be identified as pros but not enough MLS teams are willing to invest in making those kids full time type of resident players. I think, to be a MLS team it needs to be mandated that you have a residential type academy for kids starting at age 15. This is why Pulisic took such a huge jump. Sure he's talented. But so many of our kids get lost at age 15/16 in the usa. FC Dallas does a good job with this age group as do a couple of others. But not enough do. Josh sargent is a GREAT example. The kid has basically not had a structured environment for 1.5 years other than the national team structure because he knew he wanted to go to europe and didn't want to get hung up with the Sporting KC academy. So he's had to wait until he turns 18 to go to werder bremen.

This is the next issue to address.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT