ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT/Soccer Thread

I hate odp...waste of time and money. I meant club soccer. At least what I see. Much more possession and ball movement.

And wow, one of Panama goals never even went in the goal.

It was written in the stars last night with everything that happened in our game and the other two games. The own goal on Gonzalez just had the perfect height and angle to where Howard couldn't save it. When it went off his foot it didn't look like it would go in the goal. Then the tying goal Honduras scored on Mexico was a complete fluke that bounced off their goalie's head and then back into the net. And then like you mentioned, the goal that wasn't a goal in the Panama game. Just an unbelievable series of events that went wrong for the United States, but this whole hexagonal stage was a disaster for this team. I'll still watch the World Cup next summer but it won't be the same without a team to cheer for.

I hate odp...waste of time and money. I meant club soccer. At least what I see. Much more possession and ball movement.

Hopefully true with the clubs you all are playing with. The knock on the ones im familiar with are that they employ mostly instruction that may win games at the youth level but dont translate to much development. Firing balls long and trying to outrun a defender to create a chance.. and a lot of that spills over to HS soccer as well.

Until about age 10- we should keep score by giving half-points to teams that can connect 3-4 advancing passes in a row. (Hyperbole, obviously)

We play super possession...almost too much. Still learning how to use possession and attack. We often just pass the ball around and play keep away. It's a process. But the kids are much better today than they used to be.

A lot of what is being said here is true. However, the game needs more of you involved. Far too often clubs and rec programs are reaching to the last mom or dad standing to coach our kids. The result is what everybody here is complaining about.

In Henderson, we decided to do something about it and have tried to get more of the USSF training to our coaches. It's obviously not enough, but we need more smart people to insert themselves locally into the coaching and teaching side of things. And hell it's pretty fun to do too.

Volunteer yourselves to try and help, because I believe we've squeezed as much soccer excellence as we can from old factory worker dad.

A lot of what is being said here is true. However, the game needs more of you involved. Far too often clubs and rec programs are reaching to the last mom or dad standing to coach our kids. The result is what everybody here is complaining about.

In Henderson, we decided to do something about it and have tried to get more of the USSF training to our coaches. It's obviously not enough, but we need more smart people to insert themselves locally into the coaching and teaching side of things. And hell it's pretty fun to do too.

Volunteer yourselves to try and help, because I believe we've squeezed as much soccer excellence as we can from old factory worker dad.

You absolutely hit the nail on the head. My 9 year old daughter has excelled in Lexington because of the coaching I have given her, not the coaching given to her by moms and dads of one of her teammates.

There needs to be more volunteers and honestly, I choose not to because of the concern of having to deal with snowflake parents who criticize and expect their kids to play even though they never practice, show up late, and SUCK. Sat next to a couple last week who had 3 girls playing on the opposing team and all 3 were terrible. Football dad who I am certain never played soccer in his life berated and yelled at his daughters the entire game. At one point one of his 9-10 year olds was crying on the field. They got hammered by us like 17-0 and his girls walked off that field dreading the talk down that was coming from their EXPERT father. I know I would last one practice/game and I would be having big problems with parents who have no clue about the game.

But you are right, some of us should put our money where our keyboard skills are.

Ok For Me: If I were the coach this would be my player pool from here on:

GK: Jese Gonzalez, Klinsmann, Horvath

Defenders: Yedlin, John Brooks, MAtt Miazga, Geoff Cameron, VIllafana, Lichaj, Palmer-Brown, Carter-Vickers (cap him ASAP), Rowe, Tyler Adams, Justin Morrow

Midfielders: Kellyn Acosta, Cristian Roldan, Pulisic, Kelyn Rowe, Jonathan Gonzalez, Tyler Adams, Lynden Gooch, Gedion Zelalem, Emerson Hyndman, Weston McKennie, Pierre Da Silva

Forwards/Wingers: Kekutah Manneh, Timothy Weah (CAP HIS ASS NOW - Son of Ballon D'or Winner George Weah), Haji Wright, Josh Sargeant , Jordan Morris, Bobby Wood, Jozy Altidore (on the fence), Orrin Gaines, Kenny Saief, Nagbe------ And the big one is convincing Jack Harrison to spurn England and choose USMNT.

For me, If the investment is made, the future of the USMNT could look like this:

Jese Gonzalez or Klinsmann
Yedlin, Miazga, Carter-Vickers, *Develop a LB*
Kellyn Acosta, Weston McKennie
Jack Harrison, Christian Pulisic, Timothy Weah
Haji Wright/Josh Sargeant

Theres a shit ton of potential in that group. Bring in a coach that can facilitate its development. I'd enteratin Tata Martino. Make him a monetary offer he cannot refuse. We would go much more to a counter-attacking style of play. He has worked with big names. But His reputation is taking low budget teams full of youth talent, cultivating it, and getting results.

He took Paraguay to the 2010 WC Quarters
He took Argentina to 2 Copa America Runner ups and a WC 2014 Runner Up
He has coached FC Barcelona

Offer the dude a contract he cannot refuse. Put Jurgen in Sunil Gulatti's position.

I agree man. Thats why I coach and referee. I take the time when I ref, especially young ages to explain the game and the things i know to them... because I know they arent getting that from their coaches.

Sean, we can quit with the lineups now for a while. Send your resume to that Samji whoever loser maybe he'll hire you. I think you would actually do a pretty decent job. Let's just forget this team for a while. We got 4 fn years, and we're still gonna suck balls.

Reactions: Get Bucket$
Sean, we can quit with the lineups now for a while. Send your resume to that Samji whoever loser maybe he'll hire you. I think you would actually do a pretty decent job. Let's just forget this team for a while. We got 4 fn years, and we're still gonna suck balls.

But you gotta start now. It is absolutely stupid that US Soccer has not come out and already fired Gulatti and Arena. I know Arena is gone. I get that Gulatti has done a lot for 2026 WC Bid, But the dude still has a full time job in academia IN ADDITION TO being the President of USSF. This reform that should take place will take so much time. We truly need to take a page from 2010 Germany. MLS, USL, NASL, COllege Soccer, all the way down to youth and pay 2 play. Get everyone on the same page. Decide who we are going to be. How we will play. What the emphasis is. It took Germany 3.5 years to hold the meetings necessary and implement the plan. Thing is Germany has bunches of talent...We Dont. So thats even more time. Kids need to know they can be famous playing soccer and if they put the time in and develop, they WILL be rewarded with time on the pitch for the national team. We dont have the luxury of "waiting" or "chilling out".

Our next competitive match wont be til summer 2019 at either Copa America (if we accept the rumored invite) or the Gold Cup. So, no one can be cap tied til then.

No, man, it's over. I used to think we were less than 10 years away, but it's clear we are lifetimes away.

Soccer is the most corrupt sport/organization on the planet. US doesn't care about being "good". I mean, shit, look what they trotted out there. I think they care about things like putting familiar faces out there so fans can buy their jerseys, and doing just enough to keep fans hopeful.

And what you're saying is right, but we have like fifty-eleven sports ahead of soccer. Basketball for one. In order to do what you want, we need to demolish the basketball landscape and get those kids on the soccer fields. Most importantly, get those sponsors to the soccer fields.

Wrong sport. Its the demise of football that is going to lead to soccer. The CTE research is becoming overwhelming right now. We just need guys involved who are creative enough to tailor what needs to be done to this country. Jurgen was there for the German rebuild. Pair Jurgen with guys like Taylor Twellman, Alexi Lalas, Landon Donovan, David Beckham, George Weah etc... and get to work. Also, the rapidly changing demographics in this nation should help facilitate a transition as well. I dont think its a time issue. I think its an efficacy issue.

Reactions: Mashburned
^ I believe we are on board with being corrupt- maybe we are just figuring out what avenues to take. We do have Donna Shalala on the Board of Directors. We're talking about a lady that took Nevin Shapiro Ponzi Scheme money to keep a college football team relevant, and ran the Clinton Foundation. At some point some people dont even know how to take an honest approach to get things done. She's certainly one of those- and we need those people in this realm.

Why the hell did Miazga not get any run during this WC cycle? I'm sorry, but Gonzalez is just terrible. He, IMO, excels at being tall and that seems to be about it. This hate isn't because of the own goal, but because he just hasn't ever shown to me to be a decent defender for USMNT. Last night was another example of that as T&T was able to consistently make runs at and past him. I would think that Miazga can possibly be part of the future, so why not actually get him some time in the Gold Cup or some qualifiers. Was he injured, or am I way off here?

My daughter played a club game this weekend where they beat the team handily as a 13 year old (she plays up a year for an 03 team). Memorable moments were a parent getting ejected for telling his daughter to punch our girl already on a hat trick in the mouth, another parent whose daughter was clearly injured yelling she needed to suck it up. The whole time I'm sitting there thinking these people are insane and clearly don't have idea one about how soccer is played...and probably shelling out about $3000 a year.

I'm neck deep in the club culture with my daughter; I love it to an extent, but there is zero question in my mind that pay for play is like the earlier poster said a ponzi scheme. It's insanity. We've traveled not unlike alot of parents in a club situation like my daughter's I'm sure if you're from Louisville, Lexington or Greater Cincinnati--St. Louis, Indy, Cincinnati, Columbus playing teams from Ontario, Cleveland, Detroit, Columbus, Chicago, et al. And you know what there is no shortage of at those tournaments from 11-16 years old...SUVs, minivans and parking lots that look like Surburbia malls saturated with white people with a little disposable income. Hell, Etown shrewdly built a soccer complex and it's created a tourism income there that was largely untapped by anybody in Kentucky on that model alone. Rare is the team or club composed of at least three quarters white kids, with the exception of a couple Barcelona affiliated clubs I've seen from Northern Ohio. The best teams I've seen are clearly the best coached...really strong programs in St. Louis, a little in Northern Ohio and a couple Toronto FC affiliated clubs.

I do think the movement away from the US Development Academy in Bradenton to more reliance on the MLS Development academies is going to improve talent identification. It's been working with the LA Galaxy and Dallas obviously with Dallas being the standard by which all others are judged...but even then those two youth academies are seeing kids who are dual US/Mexican nationals end up in the Mexican camps a problem almost certainly exacerbated by the perception of failing to qualify for the World Cup vs. a Mexican National Team that is treated like Gods by those of Mexican heritage. Kansas City has taken on a model of development not dissimilar to that of Dortmund, a vast scouting network outside of their region to bring in youth talent into their Development academy and just exported one of those examples more or less to Manchester City (Erik Palmer-Brown). What Atlanta is doing in a short stint as a franchise is already remarkable. I think in those ways if people separate their emotions and fury a little bit they'll ultimately find that is what Arena and Gulati were likely referring to when they cautioned against a nuclear approach to the Men's National Team. I think we're seeing some progress underneath the USMNT that will bear yields in the next ten years with World Cup 2026 as a host nation an obvious standard benchmark for that progress. We've been sort of teetering on this type of problem for years now and I remember Arena in interviews prior to the 2014 World Cup saying that we really had progressed little since 2002 as a soccer playing nation. Some of that seed money has got to find it's way into eliminating pay for play, but as a country that sees Capital as the Mother's Milk for literally everything in our Culture, I don't know how that is ever truly eliminated.

I just am done with Sunil and Arena.

That game against TnT was a technical masterclass of what not do to. Let me tell you what, Im a bit out of shape now.... but me and @CardHack could have done wonders playing to TnT with all that damn space we were giving them.

Pause at 1:15--- That dude had time to make himself a sammich before he shot that shit lol!

Defenders: Yedlin, John Brooks, MAtt Miazga, Geoff Cameron, VIllafana, Lichaj, Palmer-Brown, Carter-Vickers (cap him ASAP), Rowe, Tyler Adams, Justin Morrow

Midfielders: Kellyn Acosta, Cristian Roldan, Pulisic, Kelyn Rowe, Jonathan Gonzalez, Tyler Adams, Lynden Gooch, Gedion Zelalem, Emerson Hyndman, Weston McKennie, Pierre Da Silva

Forwards/Wingers: Kekutah Manneh, Timothy Weah (CAP HIS ASS NOW - Son of Ballon D'or Winner George Weah), Haji Wright, Josh Sargeant , Jordan Morris, Bobby Wood, Jozy Altidore (on the fence), Orrin Gaines, Kenny Saief, Nagbe------ And the big one is convincing Jack Harrison to spurn England and choose USMNT.

For me, If the investment is made, the future of the USMNT could look like this:

Theres a shit ton of potential in that group. Bring in a coach that can facilitate its development. I'd enteratin Tata Martino. Make him a monetary offer he cannot refuse. We would go much more to a counter-attacking style of play. He has worked with big names. But His reputation is taking low budget teams full of youth talent, cultivating it, and getting results.

He took Paraguay to the 2010 WC Quarters
He took Argentina to 2 Copa America Runner ups and a WC 2014 Runner Up
He has coached FC Barcelona

Offer the dude a contract he cannot refuse. Put Jurgen in Sunil Gulatti's position.

I can't argue with any of this.

I'll add that since we are stuck in the position to be playing only for 2020, somehow take advantage of it. Have bigger camps/tryouts, get rid of the older players, embrace the younger players. Put together regional teams from each of the academies. Put practices and tryouts on tv. We have to think differently now. Bring 60 players in next summer during the world cup and put them on 4 teams and have your own tournament. Invite all the other teams to a different tournament - whatever it takes to fast-track our development.

I just am done with Sunil and Arena.

That game against TnT was a technical masterclass of what not do to. Let me tell you what, Im a bit out of shape now.... but me and @CardHack could have done wonders playing to TnT with all that damn space we were giving them.

Pause at 1:15--- That dude had time to make himself a sammich before he shot that shit lol!

I thought the exact same thing when I saw the highlights this morning. How in gods name did that guy have that much space to work with????

It is mind-blowing to me that it is 4:15pm the day after and we have no news of firings or resignations for USMNT. Any other nation that values the World Cup or the sport of Soccer at all after that bullshit last night would've had the resignations ready for the morning papers.

If Argentina would have lost last night you think they'd be handing out the pink slips before 4:15pm?

I said the same thing when it happened when I was watching it with my daughter; I'm not too tough on her when she is playing, but one thing I really harp on with her when she plays in any midfield capacity is when she doesn't close ground hard. I've been pretty optimistic that Nagbe would have a big impact unlocking a defense for set pieces like T&T was setup to do last night, but his deficiencies showed up in spades the last two games in his inability to effectively help Bradley.

When the postmortem is officially written in a few weeks, I think the two biggest cripplers always were we never put an effective 6 and 8 combination on the field. It might have been we needed Cameron as a 6 and Bradley as an 8; Acosta wasn't the answer or perhaps better yet not quite ready for International play, McKennie isn't quite there yet and Tyler Adams and Jonathan Gonzalez are probably a couple years away from being realistic International players. That transition out with Jermaine Jones and Beckerman was Exhibit A of that gap between the aged out group and guys on down to the 22/23 year old level. There literally was nobody there to press Bradley...and worse yet nobody to protect the backline with him...a backline fatefully missing Brooks which was crushing. Probably moreso than even the perennial leftback connundrum.

Reactions: BigBlueSean
It is mind-blowing to me that it is 4:15pm the day after and we have no news of firings or resignations for USMNT. Any other nation that values the World Cup or the sport of Soccer at all after that bullshit last night would've had the resignations ready for the morning papers.

If Argentina would have lost last night you think they'd be handing out the pink slips before 4:15pm?

Perhaps they are all boys with each other.

I said the same thing when it happened when I was watching it with my daughter; I'm not too tough on her when she is playing, but one thing I really harp on with her when she plays in any midfield capacity is when she doesn't close ground hard. I've been pretty optimistic that Nagbe would have a big impact unlocking a defense for set pieces like T&T was setup to do last night, but his deficiencies showed up in spades the last two games in his inability to effectively help Bradley.

When the postmortem is officially written in a few weeks, I think the two biggest cripplers always were we never put an effective 6 and 8 combination on the field. It might have been we needed Cameron as a 6 and Bradley as an 8; Acosta wasn't the answer or perhaps better yet not quite ready for International play, McKennie isn't quite there yet and Tyler Adams and Jonathan Gonzalez are probably a couple years away from being realistic International players. That transition out with Jermaine Jones and Beckerman was Exhibit A of that gap between the aged out group and guys on down to the 22/23 year old level. There literally was nobody there to press Bradley...and worse yet nobody to protect the backline with him...a backline fatefully missing Brooks which was crushing. Probably moreso than even the perennial leftback connundrum.

Nailed it. No 6-8 pair and absolutely no development of a proper LB to take Beasley's spot.

Not sure why there'd be a hurry to fire them. Might as well let the emotions die down and then do it. There's nothing to play for for quite a while so might as well make all the changes while level-headed

By the way, Yedlin was pathetic last night. I couldn't believe how many times he was burnt out of position and could have easily had a penalty called on him. If he can't guard a T&T forward, he'd have no chance against someone elite. Hopefully he'll improve

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/proj...up-squad-who-joins/17a5ul4jad2ui11bgxs686k4uy

Much of what you project is projected by Ives Galarcep in the linked article.

But some huge barriers exist for our own USMNT roster. How can we realistically cap tie CCV without matches? Jack Harrison just committed to England's U21 squad. We are 1-3 in convincing three VERY young Mexican/US dual nationals to even commit to a US youth squad with Uly LLanez of the LA Galaxy...we've already lost Edwin Lara a CB to Mexico, look poised to lose the real big plum Efrain Alvarez with the Galaxy U15s already...and with Mexico appearing significantly more stable with the added visibility of being in a World Cup as Fox's featured brand...beyond just building "The Wall"...I don't see us bridging the gap (what may well become known as "The Gape") between US and Mexican youth development. We're exporting youth talent already to Mexico.

Reactions: Vandalayindustries
If you were born in this country, go to school in this country, speak the language, etc...you need to play for this country. Bottom line.

There is a silver lining to this loss... bigbluesean is in too much despair to spy on people with his drone

U17 World Cup Colombia defeats USA 3-1. US goalkeeper seems very weak.
USA advances as one of third best teams.
Will probably play a group winner in first knock out stage game. Iran?

U17 World Cup Colombia defeats USA 3-1. US goalkeeper seems very weak.
USA advances as one of third best teams.
Will probably play a group winner in first knock out stage game. Iran?

Iran was one of the three most impressive teams in Group play...they throttled Germany. It's tough to tell with these groups though at this age how tough a group really is, for instance England has looked impressive but how much of that was a byproduct of their draw?

The reason given that Cameron didn't play when he has been playing 90 minutes with his club team is inexcusable.

I usually leave the substitution pattern crowd and you should have played the backup QB instead as the clarion calls of a Monday Morning QB...but when they announced that they were going with an unchanged attack from Panama againt T&T I sort of gulped. I really thought they would have gone with something of an approach not dissimilar to the Mexico match with either the five man backline or three man backline because they just needed a freaking point. At the least, I fully expected Gonzalez to get lifted for Cameron in part because even though the US won against Panama 4-0, the dicey moments of the contest were with Gonzalez and Cameron at the least would have been significantly better rested. I also was certain Dempsey would get the nod over Wood due to Wood's incredible work rate in that Panama match. I was equally as shocked that we didn't have Bradley covered with another D mid like Acosta though Acosta himself proved a little dicey at times. Some real headscratchers and it lended itself to the arrogance charge.

I really think the lack of urgency in the T&T match was sheer unadulterated leg weariness in some very critical spots.

4HRVkwYTTKODmuuni9whymGKVdgIs7FAlfpAv1nnJJQ.png

I usually leave the substitution pattern crowd and you should have played the backup QB instead as the clarion calls of a Monday Morning QB...but when they announced that they were going with an unchanged attack from Panama againt T&T I sort of gulped. I really thought they would have gone with something of an approach not dissimilar to the Mexico match with either the five man backline or three man backline because they just needed a freaking point. At the least, I fully expected Gonzalez to get lifted for Cameron in part because even though the US won against Panama 4-0, the dicey moments of the contest were with Gonzalez and Cameron at the least would have been significantly better rested. I also was certain Dempsey would get the nod over Wood due to Wood's incredible work rate in that Panama match. I was equally as shocked that we didn't have Bradley covered with another D mid like Acosta though Acosta himself proved a little dicey at times. Some real headscratchers and it lended itself to the arrogance charge.

I really think the lack of urgency in the T&T match was sheer unadulterated leg weariness in some very critical spots.

If Cameron is making big bucks and he didn't want to play on a "risky" third world field, I don't blame him. Everything about our team and that particular game was a joke.

Something I never thought about till Alexi or some old player mentioned it, he was raving mad about it - Pulisic got beat up every game he played. Opponent kicked the piss out of him. And our stupid team never retaliated once, so they kept kicking the hell out of pulisic. He mentioned Jermaine Jones isn't good, but he would've stood up for his team unlike the Michael Bradley's and other losers we had out there.

Reactions: It'saDoneDeal
ADVERTISEMENT