ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT/Soccer Thread

So what's the bottomline today? What minimum outcome gets us qualified?

Also, I assume Mexico is a lock for qualification. Any chance they sit back and play conservative?

Mexico 2-0.

US is in ok (at best) shape. Losing at home to Mexico and getting railed at Costa Rica really hurt. US has to win one of these next 2 matches IMO - the next being Costa Rica at home which will be tough. After that, the schedule is much easier.

If they don't get points in these next 2 matches, they'll likely need to win out vs Honduras, Panama, and TNT (2 on the road) to qualify. It's very possible they get to the playoff. The US would be heavy favorites there but it would be a lot of pressure.

A loss tonight and the US is still in great shape. We're firmly in 3rd place at the moment which would qualify for Russia, but the schedule to end the hex is in our favor. Home games vs. Costa Rica and Panama and road games against Honduras and Trinidad & Tobago are all very winnable. Getting a point tonight would be huge! I'm gonna say it's a 2-2 draw in Mexico City.

Disagree, if we lose we're still in trouble. The other teams play Tuesday and it's possible we're in 4th after that.

We're not 'firmly in 3rd' - we are 1 point ahead of a team (Panama) that plays a pretty bad Honduran team at home.

Reactions: BigBlueSean
That starting lineup doesn't inspire me. Arriola? Beasley? Wood? Ream? Gonzales?

My lord, in the first 3 min of the game the official misses 2 elbows to the face.

We might as well just get back on the plane while we still have our health.

Take advantage of the man advantage here....a goal here right before half would be mammoth

Mexico plays soccer the way Duke plays basketball. The slightest contact and they're on the ground flailing around like they took an uppercut from Mike Tyson.

Mexico is controlling this game. They work the ball around and maintain possession while we just kick the ball up field every time we get it, giving it right back to them. Can't win playing like that.

Huge to come out of there with the point! We're in good shape from here on out. Our remaining 4 qualifying games are very winnable.

Well, I was wrong. Though Mexico would smoke us, but we showed more composure at the Azteca than we have in years (if ever). Really proud of Arenas selecting Arriola and Acosta for this match. Our younger players are far more technically advanced than many of our vets.

Great point! Should be the jump we need to lock down qualification.

That was big tonight. Here's a fun fact. Its been 8 years since Mexico has beaten the USMNT in Estadio Azteca.

No matter the place this team is in at the end of Tuesday, they're in good shape:
  • The four toughest qualifiers (@CRC, @pan, MEX, @MEX) are in the rear view mirror.
  • Although i doubt it will happen, 12 points in the last four games is not a total stretch. 8-10 is more like it, which puts them at 16-18, which will be good enough to be in the top 3.
  • We're the only team that's finished with with Mexico
  • No one else is going to get a point in Azteca. Panama is the main competition for that third spot, and they have to go to Azteca yet, as well as the US.
  • CRC will have 11 points after Tuesday, but their draw the rest of the way is tricky. Road matches with US and Panama, and a home date with Mexico yet to come (a place MEX has traditionally played well).

Reactions: goukcatsgo
Done with Jozy he couldn't be bothered to chase when he only played 15 min.

Good result although wasn't aesthetically pleasing. Have to turn it up from here out. I know that 12 from the last 4 is unlikely but if they are going to get to where everyone wants them to be for the WC then that is what we should expect.

Dempsey playing deep was odd, he can't blow past people. He tried a lot of flicking the ball on instead of 1 v 1, crafty but a sign he is slowing down. Further, a lot of balls in middle were poor, deflected, and turned over. Only when they got it out to the wings, including the defenders, were they effective, as well as on the counter. They go at Mexico with that passing and it will be over quick.

I think Demsey is just in a bad run of form. He and Pulisic worked AMAZING together in March in the two wcq's. I think he will get it figured out. And frankly, he would have had the goal pulisic had if Pulisic wasn't so freaking quick.

I do think there is a chance you start to see a transition to Wood and Altidore. Since there isn't a clear cut 4th striker in the squad you will see Demsey play. That's our biggest weakness right now. After Wood, Demsey and Altidore our striker core is really thin. We've got to find a really good striker to play with Pulisic. Sargent has some potential but he's limited foot speed wise. Maybe Tim Weah will grow into a great striker. With Morris' limitations with his left foot I just don't ever see him becoming a top flight striker.

Couldnt disagree more. They squandered most of their opportunities when they found themselves in space. Their service was somewhere between bad and atrocious - often just playing a ball into the box rather than trying to pick out a pass. TnT made short work of most of their crosses.

Absurd take... A. They were both very good defensively... Which is their primary responsibility in a four person back line. B. They both created opportunities. Yedlin was involved in both goals. He's improved drastically. And he just played perhaps the toughest 180+ minutes of any right back USA history in the two qualifiers within 72 hours of each other. He flew up and down the right flank against Trinidad and also got forward when he could against mexico, all the while surrendering zero goals. Another year at Right back for New Castle in the Premier League and he will be a world class right back. His improvement over the last 2 years is nothing short of remarkable.

Last edited:
That was big tonight. Here's a fun fact. Its been 8 years since Mexico has beaten the USMNT in Estadio Azteca.

No matter the place this team is in at the end of Tuesday, they're in good shape:
  • The four toughest qualifiers (@CRC, @pan, MEX, @MEX) are in the rear view mirror.
  • Although i doubt it will happen, 12 points in the last four games is not a total stretch. 8-10 is more like it, which puts them at 16-18, which will be good enough to be in the top 3.
  • We're the only team that's finished with with Mexico
  • No one else is going to get a point in Azteca. Panama is the main competition for that third spot, and they have to go to Azteca yet, as well as the US.
  • CRC will have 11 points after Tuesday, but their draw the rest of the way is tricky. Road matches with US and Panama, and a home date with Mexico yet to come (a place MEX has traditionally played well).

Good break down. I expect 10 points in our last 4. We have Panama and Costa Rica at home... You will see a inspired team against both of those squads at home. Especially Costa Rica, after they embarrassed us down there.

I absolutely expect wins at Hondoruas and Trinadad. If we get 18 points we will qualify in 2nd place. Not bad considering a shockingly bad start. In fact, if we get to 18 points, a winning streak like that will be remarkable.

And don't forget. We are playing some of the youngest guys in concacaf. Their growth in this timeframe is rapid. Guys like Yedlin, Pullisic, accosta Viafana and Arriola will be remarkable. Throw Brooks in there too. His switch to Wolfsburg will do him well.

Very happy with that point. Especially being in Mexico, the crowd, and the no calls. Ol boy threw 2 elbows in the first 5 minutes of the game and should have at least gotten a yellow card.

Loved that they started their OLES 50 seconds into the game and then Bradley made them crap their pants.

Very happy with that point. Especially being in Mexico, the crowd, and the no calls. Ol boy threw 2 elbows in the first 5 minutes of the game and should have at least gotten a yellow card.

Loved that they started their OLES 50 seconds into the game and then Bradley made them crap their pants.

yeah. That was glorious...

And he should have gotten a red card. The interesting thing is that next week, in the confederations cup when they introduce video replay, he will get a red card....

Its just crazy to me that come October of this year we will know close to the entire field of the 2018 World Cup

CONMEBOL has played 14 of 18 games. Brazil is qualified and then theres a 6 point separation of teams 2-8. Will be very interesting to see how it plays out. Right now Argentina is in the playoff spot.

CONCACAF - 6 of 10 games played. MExico is through and CR and USMNT look to have a firm grip on all other spots.

AFC - 8 of 10 games played. Iran, South Korea and Uzbekistan go 1-2-3 in Group A with 17-13-12 points. Group B is up for grabs with Saudi Arabia, Japan and Australia all tied with 16 points. Top 2 teams of each group advance.

Oceana- Two games left and then a playoff game left to determine who 5th placed CONMEBOL team faces in the playoff spot.

AFrica has quite a bit left having played 2 of 6 total games in their final.

UEFA - 6/10 games of group stage are done, but then you still have the playoff round with the 8 best group runner ups.

Group winners as of today: Sweden, Switzerland, Germany, Serbia, Poland, England, Spain, Belgium, Croatia:

Next best 8 - Italy, Portugal, France, Northern Ireland, Iceland, Slovakia, Greece----with the top 4 of those gaining qualification.

We are 1 year from Russia 2018 this coming Wednesday.... Man how time flies!

With a win and 2 draws in the last three trips there have the US finally penetrated the once seemingly invincible Azteca?

Bradley's goal was incredible.

With a win and 2 draws in the last three trips there have the US finally penetrated the once seemingly invincible Azteca?

Bradley's goal was incredible.

I think so. Let's be real. We trotted out a relative "b" team yesterday. Second choice left back, third and fourth (is ream our fourth best center back), Paul Freaking arriola on the wing and Accosta and wood... (I think accosta will be our 2nd central mid-fielder from now on out.) As an aside... I'd like for us to also incorporate a 4-2-3-1 as well so we can get accosta on with Bradley, Pulisic and more attacking minded players and not just the 3-4-3 we ran out last night.

We had numerous first team guys out and executed beautifully.

There is no denying that JK expanded the player pool. I actually think Arena learned from JK that you need to have a larger player pool. Arena was notorious before for only using experienced players and sticking with a much smaller squad. I now think, after the experience Bruce gained in MLS, that he recognizes the value of having a deep pool.

So couple that with his clear quality for setting out specific game-plans and I think we can have a very nice run in the next year with him in charge. This is the deepest player pool i can remember. We've got quality guys who have played in europe or are playing in europe all over the field. I suspect Accosta is the next guy to take the leap in europe. We've got young guys playing in europe right now too.

Long answer to your question. yes, I think we now have the depth of players and the good tactical coach to get results anywhere in the world.

What will be interesting to see is this. If Mexico struggles at the confed cup (I think portugal will work them over) and we do well in the gold cup, how far will we shoot up the fifa rankings? That's big with them factoring into how the WC is seeded.

Mex the better team. We was lucky, but reasonable outcome; i.e., not terribly outplayed. I take why we were so D oriented was the altitude so we could conserve energy.

Our passing in our end after a takeaway from Mex was atrocious. Kept giving them the ball right back so no relief for the D. Pulisic good if they don't get a body on him. Still needs 20 lb. Wood pretty decent other than the point blank whiff. Lots of missed connections in their box - couldn't even make their goalie have to play the ball. Bradley was the man though.

Dempsey is done - way too old. Like Howard. Altidore is old style striker - camp in middle & wait for feed. Now if he was half as good as Alan Shearer.....

Mex the better team. We was lucky, but reasonable outcome; i.e., not terribly outplayed. I take why we were so D oriented was the altitude so we could conserve energy.

Our passing in our end after a takeaway from Mex was atrocious. Kept giving them the ball right back so no relief for the D. Pulisic good if they don't get a body on him. Still needs 20 lb. Wood pretty decent other than the point blank whiff. Lots of missed connections in their box - couldn't even make their goalie have to play the ball. Bradley was the man though.

Dempsey is done - way too old. Like Howard. Altidore is old style striker - camp in middle & wait for feed. Now if he was half as good as Alan Shearer.....

Agree. Our counter attack was a touch off. One more pass (several times) would have unlocked the mexican counter defense. I think part of that was not having Fabian or Nagbe. Ariolla is a nice player and will continue to develop but I think he was part of our issue on the counter.

The reality is that it was Accosta and arriola's first career starts and Beasley hadn't played in ages. It was also Wood and Yedlin's second and 3rd starts under arena (their first camps).

I think you will see us use this formation more and more and it will continue to improve too. It also gives us some flexibility at left back as well as when we play a lesser opponent you can stick fabian there and make it a true 3-4-3 instead of the 5-4-1 that we saw last night. Pulisic actually plays the wing back some in Dortmund's 3-4-3. He also plays up top in it some too. We actually have the personel to employ this tactic with our glut of wingers and mid-fielders and relative lack of depth at fullback.

I think it should be noted that this wasn't Mexico's best team either. Rafa Marquez, Guardado, Layun, and a couple others were unavailable.

I don't care how you cut it, getting a point at Azteca in this cycle is a major plus; anything less than four points would have been a setback, and the US did what they had to last night and against T&D.

My one biggest surprise and takeaway was the rationale behind Guzan; I can be sold on pretty much any personnel decision by a coach, but Guzan against Mexico at Azteca would have been one I'd have lost serious money on if it was part of a wager. Arriola and Gonzalez make sense due to playing in LigaMX. Beasley does also (although the same rationale could be applied to Villafana). But Guzan was a headscratcher.

Reactions: goukcatsgo
I think it should be noted that this wasn't Mexico's best team either. Rafa Marquez, Guardado, Layun, and a couple others were unavailable.

They had much closer to an "a" team than we did. Guardado probably isn't a starter for them now anyway. And Rafa is only a spot starter. Agree completely with layun. He's their best fullbackand he was out.

Also... Osorio plays a rotation. he rarely, if ever, puts his top a. team on the field.

Their fullbacks weren't the best in their pool. But outside of that, they had as strong a team as you'd see them put out. Tecatito was out, but that opened up a spot for lozano.

ADVERTISEMENT