ADVERTISEMENT

USC and UCLA to the Big 10?

'The Conference of Champions

'
Ha Ha Ha Lol GIF

I don’t think the ACC currently has a $50 million buyout. I believe it was replaced by all members granting media rights to the conference through 2036. This means if someone leaves they will not be able to bring home game media revenue to their new conference, and the ACC contracts would control the broadcast of their home games until the grant of rights expires. As the years tick away that becomes less and less cost prohibitive.

I don’t think the ACC currently has a $50 million buyout. I believe it was replaced by all members granting media rights to the conference through 2036. This means if someone leaves they will not be able to bring home game media revenue to their new conference, and the ACC contracts would control the broadcast of their home games until the grant of rights expires. As the years tick away that becomes less and less cost prohibitive.
One out could be to have enough schools vote to dissolve the ACC.

Acc paid out $17ish million. Sec paid out $40ish million. How long would it take to pay off $50 million?
FSU is still broke. They are just now getting out of the read. Sara (Spanx) already bailed them out with Taggart, she wont be fronting anymore money. FSU needs a conference to pay for all of their buyout for them to join another conference. Also, Florida will will kick and scream if FSU gets an invite to the SEC.

Imagine traveling to the Pacific Northwest for an SEC road game...🤣. I know regional affiliations mean nothing these days, but it's still funny to laugh about.

College athletics are no longer regional, which makes it lose some of its charm IMO. But I wouldn't mind going to a road game in Oregon or Washington, it's beautiful country up there with a lot of amazing beer.

Reactions: delk4three
Agree with a lot of this. Money makes the wheels go 'round, though. Part of life.

Would it be wrong for me to think that Texas' insistence, back in the late 00's/early '10s, on calling all the shots for the Big 12 and benefitting more than the other members is what *really* got the ball rolling on all of this. It's true that there was already some movement towards conference expansion and realignment (much of which made sense, some that didn't). However, I think the implosion of the Big 12 and now perhaps the Pac 12 can be traced to the Longhorns being a bunch of overbearing dicks.
Very true. It always starts with one looking out for their interest over the group.

Oregon & Washington should be begging to also join Big 10

And as mentioned Clemson & FSU are crazy if they aren't trying to get out for the SEC

Say, remember THE ALLIANCE!!! The Big 10, ACC, Pac 12 locking arms to fight together to stop the SEC!!!! So pathetic, one of those 3 just shoved a sword up a fellow 'partner's heart, and doomed them to G5 level of importance.
I've read that the B1G will be targeting Notre Dame and possibly both Oregon (Nike money) and Washington next.

The B1G is all about TV markets and pulling in huge amounts of money, They now have the 4 largest TV markets in their footprint and 15 of the top 35 according to this list, That's the reason they went after Rutgers (NJ-NYC) and Maryland (Baltimore - D.C.). They're no dummies.

I've read that the B1G will be targeting Notre Dame and possibly both Oregon (Nike money) and Washington next.

The B1G is all about TV markets and pulling in huge amounts of money, They now have the 4 largest TV markets in their footprint and 15 of the top 35 according to this list, That's the reason they went after Rutgers (NJ-NYC) and Maryland (Baltimore - D.C.). They're no dummies.

Big 10 still sucks...doubt ND shame joins them.

I don't understand why the SEC would want more football teams. Yes, money. But at some point, there are diminishing returns. Why would Auburn and Tennessee and Kentucky want to sell wins for a couple more million. The schools are swimming in cash already.

Don't add Clemson. Don't add Virginia Tech. Don't add anyone really. But if we had to, let's get some basketball schools. Virginia. North Carolina. Take we could beat in football.

Reactions: delk4three
The only chance any team has at this point to join the SEC or the Big 10 is whether or not they can bring enough money to the table to make it worthwhile for the conference. Let's say that these conferences. are in TV contracts that pay out $50 Million per team. Unless a new team is significant enough to convince their network partner to re-do the deal, adding a new team just means that each School will get a smaller share. Notre Dame and Oregon carry enough cache to possibly make that happen.

I think the SEC and Big 10 have already spoken on their opinion of the Big 12. They are locked out. Oregon, Washington are the premier options left in the Pac 12, with Arizona, Colorado and Utah as outside possibilities because of the TV markets they represent. The ACC is most likely screwed, but even if they could get out of their grant of rights deal I don't know if there are many teams that would be able to make the jump. The viewership just isn't there. I could maybe see UNC to the Big 10, but that might be it.

If these schools want to make the jump, they better get in soon. The SEC TV Deal is already done and I would guess Notre Dame is the only school that might get them to re-negotiate. The Big 10 deal is being negotiated right now and is close to being completed. Once that is done, we probably don't see either of the Power 2 add anyone for awhile.

This is so dumb and I blame the SEC.
They were making too much money already.
The entire rest of the country could've made a super conference, and the SEC would still rule.
But they had to add Texas and Oklahoma to make more money.
Now, we have this.

won't be popular, but I wish espn would just step in and tell everyone what conference they need to be in. This is not going to make their product better.

Euck FSPN

Since no one else memtioned it....

Anyone else find it funny that UCLA and USC didn't want any part of the SEC conference schedule? Lmao.

Oregon, Gonzaga, and Stanford are the teams out west that I'd like to see in our conference. Not interested in Miami, FSU, or GTech really. Clemson, USF, UV/VTech, and ECU/UNC maybe. Just teams I prefer, but no specific reasons behind them. Not interested in either AZ school.

It will all be about money, and soon enough the SEC may be able to charge schools to join... lol

Not that my opinion matters, but we already have Texas who wants to be in charge, screw NC and Duke, let them reign over the basketball concept. Miami, NCST, WVU and ND would be killer additions. SEC would have 6-7 legit contenders for playoff spots every year. Now it is yet To be determined if we go sfter ND who is in middle of BIG10 country.

Not that my opinion matters, but we already have Texas who wants to be in charge, screw NC and Duke, let them reign over the basketball concept. Miami, NCST, WVU and ND would be killer additions. SEC would have 6-7 legit contenders for playoff spots every year. Now it is yet To be determined if we go sfter ND who is in middle of BIG10 country.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Texas joining the conference. Wanted WVU to join years ago, but people here weren't keen on that.

I don't want ND anywhere near the SEC.

SEC needs to go after Ohio St, Michigan, Michigan St and Clemson.
You don't get it. Why would those B1G teams leave a better payday? It's being estimated that in 2024 each B1G team will make $120 million whereas the SEC would pay out $100 million to each of their teams. Plus, it's rumored that the B1G is close to adding Notre Dame and Stanford with Oregon (Nike money) and Washington after them. As previously indicated, the B1G now has the 4 biggest TV markets in the country and somewhere around 16 to 17 of the top 35 or 40.

Last edited:
You don't get it. Why would those B1G teams leave a better payday? It's being estimated that in 2024 each B1G team will make $120 million whereas the SEC would pay out $100 million to each of their teams. Plus, it's rumored that the B1G is close to adding Notre Dame and Stanford with Oregon (Nike money) and Washington after them. As previously indicated, the B1G now has the 4 biggest TV markets in the country and somewhere around 16 to 17 of the top 35 or 40.
You don't get it. I said SEC should target those schools, I didn't say the schools should accept.

FSU is still broke. They are just now getting out of the read. Sara (Spanx) already bailed them out with Taggart, she wont be fronting anymore money. FSU needs a conference to pay for all of their buyout for them to join another conference. Also, Florida will will kick and scream if FSU gets an invite to the SEC.

Kick and scream all they want. With the addition of Texas and OU, UGA, UK, SC, AND UF don't have the voting power to keep them out. FSU or Miami will get an invite, maybe both. GT too. If the SEC puts any value on foreign veiwing

Reactions: T-Train5656
Kick and scream all they want. With the addition of Texas and OU, UGA, UK, SC, AND UF don't have the voting power to keep them out. FSU or Miami will get an invite, maybe both. GT too. If the SEC puts any value on foreign veiwing
GT would be ironic. They would be going full circle. From SEC charter member, to leaving in dispute over scholarship numbers, to Independent, to ACC, back to SEC. Many thought GT was making a major mistake bolting the SEC(they did) but this would bring them back.

GT would be ironic. They would be going full circle. From SEC charter member, to leaving in dispute over scholarship numbers, to Independent, to ACC, back to SEC. Many thought GT was making a major mistake bolting the SEC(they did) but this would bring them back.

It would be for sure. But GT held on to Paul Johnson far to long. He has the personality of a wire brush and ran an offense that didn't get kids to the NFL. Pretty soon he was welcome at GA HS and kids didn't want to visit. The guy that replaced him is just strange. Plus I just don't think football appeals to many of their students and alumni. When push comes to shove they might be a P5 team that goes down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT