ADVERTISEMENT

USA U19 team announced

Didnt his family get stranded in Egypt when they were trying to come to America and they endured all kinds of racism? Could that be why?

Reactions: Cawood86
Would love to find out the real reason behind Bol not being on the final roster. I know Cal wants to go positionless, and he'd prefer to take more guards/wings than bigs, and I know Wiley has been tremendous, but taking McCoy over Bol doesn't make much sense from any perspective.

So it's either that Bol was uncomfortable making the trip for some reason, is dealing with some type of injury, or maybe Cal knows he's a UK commit and doesn't need the additional relationship building. I have to think that whatever transpired, it was a mutual thing and not something Cal would do to jeopardize the recruitment of a top target.

Why do so many of you say that Cal is or should use this as a recruiting tool? I think Cal is beyond that.
Some other coaches, NOT.
I just don't see any bias here with Cal on the U19 team. Only 4 hs srs on the team, others all college Fr or Soph.

it may have been because they did not think his conditioning was good enough to endure the brutal schedule

Cal is not the only one making the decision, its a panel of coaches. You also sound like a TMZ reporter with the whole "What's the real reason??". Its kinda silly tbh

So you don't think Bol was one of the 12 best players there? I find that unlikely. Therefore, there's likely another reason he isn't on the final roster, especially when Team USA has shown to want to build a pipeline of young players that leads to the national team.

It would be out of character to send a kid home that everyone involved can see being a potential superstar one day and sour that relationship. I'm not talking about *just* Cal, though as the head coach, he has more control than a faceless committee member.

Can't wait to see this group of kids next year. For some reason I feel like this willl be relentless team of Alpha dogs.

Reactions: MWes11
Why do so many of you say that Cal is or should use this as a recruiting tool? I think Cal is beyond that.
Some other coaches, NOT.
I just don't see any bias here with Cal on the U19 team. Only 4 hs srs on the team, others all college Fr or Soph.

If Cal isn't using this as a recruiting tool, he's an idiot. It's not about being "beyond" it, because there's nothing wrong with doing it. It's like other coaches being "beyond" One and Done players--you're only too good for it if you don't have the opportunity.

It is odd but I'm sure there were discussions with Cal, staff, and Bol. Maybe the experiences his family had in Egypt were a part of the reason. It's not about talent or ability IMO.

So you don't think Bol was one of the 12 best players there? I find that unlikely. Therefore, there's likely another reason he isn't on the final roster, especially when Team USA has shown to want to build a pipeline of young players that leads to the national team.

It would be out of character to send a kid home that everyone involved can see being a potential superstar one day and sour that relationship. I'm not talking about *just* Cal, though as the head coach, he has more control than a faceless committee member.
Based on the tryouts it doesnt sound like he was one of the best 12 pieces.

EIther way, it's pretty close to the ideal scenario.. You'd like to see a healthy Knox in there with Cal and his team... probably Bol as well. But you still have our other two players and all the other recruits Cal is in on.. That's a win.

If Cal isn't using this as a recruiting tool, he's an idiot. It's not about being "beyond" it, because there's nothing wrong with doing it. It's like other coaches being "beyond" One and Done players--you're only too good for it if you don't have the opportunity.

So, Cal is an idiot for not using this as a personal recruiting tool and I'm an idiot for thinking that Cal is not an idiot. I'm OK with that...........
Any more idiots out there?

Might want to actually quote my full post there chief, I said "must've run out of steam", meaning he wasn't in good physical condition and didn't play well after the 1st day. Meaning I hypothesized that it was basketball related and not whatever Gonzo is trying to create. Hopefully that clears up any confusion going forward morgousky.

Why did Fultz go to UW? Why did Simmons go to LSU? Etc. Etc. Turned out alright for them.
it turned out alright in the draft...time will tell overall
Also, you can always have outliers in any measurement...
Both of those guys may have been number one straight outa high school.
and...what was the kid that went to UNLV last year and didn't do as well as expected? I have already forgotten his name. (I am being serious; not sarcastic or trying to make a point)

Might want to actually quote my full post there chief, I said "must've run out of steam", meaning he wasn't in good physical condition and didn't play well after the 1st day. Meaning I hypothesized that it was basketball related and not whatever Gonzo is trying to create. Hopefully that clears up any confusion going forward morgousky.

No biggie lil mehico. Was funny, like a big hat.

Why did Fultz go to UW? Why did Simmons go to LSU? Etc. Etc. Turned out alright for them.

I know if I was a big time player and had to go to college for a year, I would want to go and play for a team that has a chance to compete for a title jmo.

Reactions: morgousky
I bet sean Miller conspired against Cal with the other coaches on this.

He was like "look, if we force Cal to snub Bol Bol, it might piss him off enough to ruin the relationship. That leaves the door open for us".

**Cal cuts Bol Bol after pressure from the staff**

**Sean miller takes an unhappy Bol Bol aside, "I did what I could for you but Cal insisted on cutting you. Come play for Zona, you'll be in the elite eight".

I know if I was a big time player and had to go to college for a year, I would want to go and play for a team that has a chance to compete for a title jmo.
So would I, but not every player has the same mindset. Just saying you don't have to go to a huge program to succeed and be drafted. Some just want to get in and out and get up shots, not compete for PT, and put up stats.

Based on the tryouts it doesnt sound like he was one of the best 12 pieces.

That's what I get for only getting reports from Kyle Tucker. His live feed made it sound like Bol was dominating, particularly defensively.

Guess Cal and company figured they could get the same shot blocking/rebounding from McCoy, but McCoy is a year further along.

So, Cal is an idiot for not using this as a personal recruiting tool and I'm an idiot for thinking that Cal is not an idiot. I'm OK with that...........
Any more idiots out there?

No, because Cal *is* using it as a personal recruiting tool. Cal isn't an idiot and neither are you, but it's an inherent and obvious benefit to coaching the team. It's why Mo Bamba is playing at Texas. It's why certain guys were chosen to try out--it's no accident that they're all UK targets.

Cal didn't the Dominican Republic team a few years ago to showcase his collection of Tommy Bahama shirts. That was for Karl Towns.

I whole heartedly doubt he was turned down for not being "good enough." The kid is the 2nd best player in high school basketball and THE highest ranked and most talented high schooler there. On top of that, he's been tearing it up by most articles and snippets we've heard. A bad day isn't going to ruin an entire chance. We all know from McDonald's AA games, Jordan Brand Classics, Nike Hoop Summits, etc guys can have up and down days. I doubt "running out of steam" is something that's a problem.

Like others have said, it's got to be a combination of committee and concerns for Egypt. Kid didn't make it because not only was he definitely one of the 12 best players there, he's probably one of the top 5 or 6 guys there in general. Glad to see though that he understands the situation. Kid's super smart and hope the time with Cal only helped our recruiting chances with him.

ADVERTISEMENT