ADVERTISEMENT

UofL, Yum Center and the city...

Cat78Scot

Sophomore
Mar 22, 2004
Not sure if this link will work since my trial access has expired and I refuse to pay for a product that is diminishing in value every year but the headline story in the Courier-Journal today got me steamed as a Louisville resident and tax payer.

The gist of the article discusses how the Metro Council has blocked spending on critical infrastructure upgrades to the flood system that protects the city.

So the ramifications of the city university's sweetheart deal on the Yum Center are pretty obvious and I find it disgusting that Ramsey and his cohorts, including Jurich and his son, make millions while the city pays. While I and other taxpayers pick up the bill for a morally corrupt organization the city can't maintain itself and will instead pay on the back end when disaster strikes.

Pitino is even complicit as they all got together to make sure that an NBA franchise would never have a chance to help resolve the financial situation of the big printer by the river.

It's not even a sports thing for me anymore. My hatred of that school is deeper than that now.

https://accountsolution.courier-jou...nt-wont-cover-4-3-billion-upgrades/516011001/

Not sure if this link will work since my trial access has expired and I refuse to pay for a product that is diminishing in value every year but the headline story in the Courier-Journal today got me steamed as a Louisville resident and tax payer.

The gist of the article discusses how the Metro Council has blocked spending on critical infrastructure upgrades to the flood system that protects the city.

So the ramifications of the city university's sweetheart deal on the Yum Center are pretty obvious and I find it disgusting that Ramsey and his cohorts, including Jurich and his son, make millions while the city pays. While I and other taxpayers pick up the bill for a morally corrupt organization the city can't maintain itself and will instead pay on the back end when disaster strikes.

Pitino is even complicit as they all got together to make sure that an NBA franchise would never have a chance to help resolve the financial situation of the big printer by the river.

It's not even a sports thing for me anymore. My hatred of that school is deeper than that now.

https://accountsolution.courier-journal.com/trial-expired/?onSuccessRedirectURL=http://www.courier-journal.com//story/news/local/2017/07/28/msd-rate-increase-6-9-percent-wont-cover-4-3-billion-upgrades/516011001/
Hang in there. I can just imagine if I lived there & saw this crap going on how enraged that I would be. Thank God I don't live in Louisville.

And that's sad because Louisville is a pretty great city. It's just currupt at the top... Where it matters most.

It's corrupt everywhere in the world right now it seems sadly.

You're right, overall Louisville is a nice place to live. Although, I definitely look at it and the people here differently after this collective ignoring, enabling and even endorsement of all the shenanigans down on Third Street. That's what is really sad because its affected friendships and daily life here.

It's hard to have honest and amiable communication with people that continue to point their finger at Cal and UK while claiming what happened at UofL happens everywhere and that Pitino didn't know.

When you throw the financial aspect I've mentioned in there while these clowns are held up as good corporate citizens in complete contradiction to reality its maddening! Hang in there is right!

Where is the Atty. general, former governor Beshear, mayor of the city, Mitch Mcconnel, & Yarmouth??? Haven't heard a peep of those ul supporters.
I believe E. Fletcher was governor when all the i's were dotted and t''s crossed, U of L fan or alum, just like, Jerry, Mitch and John.
On March 10, 2006, Kentucky Governor Ernie Fletcher announced at a Louisville Arena Unity Rally that the location of the new arena would be at the LG&E site along the riverfront to maximize profits.[17] The unexpected visit was supported by Louisville Mayor Jerry Abramson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ugoff
Normally I have a hard time controlling my disdain for politicians but in this case I doubt most politicians knew the intricate corruption that was behind the financing of this deal beyond the rosy revenue projections. Even then I doubt they really understood how problematic this all would become. Maybe I'm going soft in the head but pols o

And that's sad because Louisville is a pretty great city. It's just currupt at the top... Where it matters most.
Louisville is a pretty good city. Not great. And I've lived here 20 years now and consider it home. I visited some old friends this weekend in Nashville, where I also lived once upon a time. Nashville is a great city. The energy and growth there.....Louisville doesn't compare. Nashville is to Louisville as Louisville is to E-town. Slight exaggeration.

Anyway, my point isn't to turn this into a Louisville vs Nashville thing...rather, to say that what has happened in Louisville regarding not just the arena but also the too many to count other scandals at Louisville, wouldn't be allowed to happen in Nashville or other cities of its size. And it shouldn't be allowed to happen in a city the size of this one. Really, this is what you'd expect of some small backwater town where a handful of people control everything and the only thing that is important is the football team winning games. You could imagine this kind of thing in, say, Starkville, or Auburn, or maybe Eugene or Provo. Not in a city of 1.3 million or whatever it is.....

Louisville is a pretty good city. Not great. And I've lived here 20 years now and consider it home. I visited some old friends this weekend in Nashville, where I also lived once upon a time. Nashville is a great city. The energy and growth there.....Louisville doesn't compare. Nashville is to Louisville as Louisville is to E-town. Slight exaggeration.

Anyway, my point isn't to turn this into a Louisville vs Nashville thing...rather, to say that what has happened in Louisville regarding not just the arena but also the too many to count other scandals at Louisville, wouldn't be allowed to happen in Nashville or other cities of its size. And it shouldn't be allowed to happen in a city the size of this one. Really, this is what you'd expect of some small backwater town where a handful of people control everything and the only thing that is important is the football team winning games. You could imagine this kind of thing in, say, Starkville, or Auburn, or maybe Eugene or Provo. Not in a city of 1.3 million or whatever it is.....

You've nailed it. It is very clichey. I realize that probably isn't a real word but it is here!

It's why it will always be little brother too. Always striving to match up to the big boys but going about it the wrong way.

Recently moved from Louisville and will not live there again, primarily because of crap like this(in OP post). ZERO real leadership at the top, headed by the idiot mayor. It's a nice city with plenty of good folks, has tons of potential, but won't move forward until stuff like this goes away but all that was hashed out in the recent thread on the general discussion board.

Nail on the head

Honest question: does this stuff happen with other arenas?! There are arenas being built all the time.

Or is this a thing, kinda like hiring hookers for your basketball players?

This is the product of being eaten up with jealousy of your big brother.

Nothing wrong with comparing to Nashville. Imagine if Nashville let Vandy run the town.

LOL. City of Louisville isn't ready to be a "city". This is what you'd expect in Lexington as the University is very significant to the town. But Lexington is way more sophisticated leadership.

Nashville is turning into a top 5 destination city. Half of my family is there and I'm moving an hour away soon. Louisville and Nashville aren't close, louisville is Memphis compared to Nashville.

Hang in there. I can just imagine if I lived there & saw this crap going on how enraged that I would be. Thank God I don't live in Louisville.
Your tax dollars are still going to that cesspool if you live in Ky,while Louisville residents get hit harder,Kentucky Tax Payers have been getting bilked by the Jurich-Pitino Cartel for years now.

Reactions: Cat78Scot
Louisville is Memphis, Birmingham triplets.
Yep, that's the two comparisons that come to mind.

Interesting article - and database - here from Business First on population growth:

https://www.bizjournals.com/louisvi...ouisville-metros-population-will-rank-at.html

Nashville is about to hit 1.9 million people; Louisville just under 1.3 million. When I moved to Nashville in the 1990s, the most recent census showed Louisville, Memphis and Nashville as having almost the same population. Now they're nearly 50% bigger. Austin and Las Vegas are the only places I can think of growing as fast as Nashville. On the other hand you have New Orleans, which is now smaller than Louisville. I guess the message is, you don't have to compare yourself to Nashville or Austin; you just don't want to be on the list of smallest growth (or even declines). The leadership here leaves a lot to be desired. If people were paying attention, all this trouble at UofL and with the arena would clue them in. But they aren't. (or maybe just aren't hearing much about it, as local media doesn't seem too exercised.....)

Last edited:
Reactions: morgousky
Yep, that's the two comparisons that come to mind.

Interesting article - and database - here from Business First on population growth:

https://www.bizjournals.com/louisvi...ouisville-metros-population-will-rank-at.html

Nashville is about to hit 1.9 million people; Louisville just under 1.3 million. When I moved to Nashville in the 1990s, the most recent census showed Louisville, Memphis and Nashville as having almost the same population. Now they're nearly 50% bigger. Austin and Las Vegas are the only places I can think of growing as fast as Nashville. On the other hand you have New Orleans, which is now smaller than Louisville. I guess the message is, you don't have to compare yourself to Nashville or Austin; you just don't want to be on the list of smallest growth (or even declines). The leadership here leaves a lot to be desired. If people were paying attention, all this trouble at UofL and with the arena would clue them in. But they aren't. (or maybe just aren't hearing much about it, as local media doesn't seem to exercised.....)

Complete whitewash by the media here, either by the Turtleneck Cartel or by choice, they don't hold Tramp College to the same standards they scream about for UK and Cal.

Where? In Tennessee?

Are you referring to cities to visit? to move to?
Move to. One of the most impressive cities on the move. Something like 84 people a day move there. Incredible % of college educated young people. It has left Louisville n the dust. Cranes for new construction everywhere .

My son and his family choose to live there and love it . Say they will never move and I can see why . It really is a perfect mix of southern charm with large city advantages. Great schools. If I were doing it all over again it's where I would be.

Shame it's in the state of Tenn.

Reactions: morgousky
Nashville, fun town to party in and catch an nfl game. But great cities do not keep their restaurant bathroom doors locked, at least the fast food joints. Nashville has a huge drug problem.

It's been a few years, but my recollection is that UL wanted nothing to do with the proposed YUM Center. When the proposal went public Jurich and Pitino were outspoken lobbying against it and promoting an on-campus arena. Their second choice was to build a new arena at the fairgrounds to replace Freedom Hall. The Mayor and Metro Council were the driving force behind building the new arena downtown because they saw it as a way to entice more people to venture downtown (and spend money) at night. The state government backed the local politicians and UL was given the choice of staying at the rundown Freedom Hall or playing at YUM with subsidized rental fees. I think UL's management stinks, but I don't see where they are in any way responsible for the Yum Center debacle.

I'm from Louisville but haven't lived there since 1991. UL athletics has had helped the city evolve into a complete joke. It's hilarious that tard fans think the city is some great metropolitan area when it is anything but. I said in another thread the national perception of Louisville is a hick town with its only redeeming feature the Kentucky Derby. Well that, and the national embarrassment and punchline UL has become on so many levels.

I'm from Louisville but haven't lived there since 1991. UL athletics has had helped the city evolve into a complete joke. It's hilarious that tard fans think the city is some great metropolitan area when it is anything but. I said in another thread the national perception of Louisville is a hick town with its only redeeming feature the Kentucky Derby. Well that, and the national embarrassment and punchline UL has become on so many levels.
A two minute race, that's sad

It's been a few years, but my recollection is that UL wanted nothing to do with the proposed YUM Center. When the proposal went public Jurich and Pitino were outspoken lobbying against it and promoting an on-campus arena. Their second choice was to build a new arena at the fairgrounds to replace Freedom Hall. The Mayor and Metro Council were the driving force behind building the new arena downtown because they saw it as a way to entice more people to venture downtown (and spend money) at night. The state government backed the local politicians and UL was given the choice of staying at the rundown Freedom Hall or playing at YUM with subsidized rental fees. I think UL's management stinks, but I don't see where they are in any way responsible for the Yum Center debacle.

That's the justification that uofl uses for the sweetheart rental deal they had up until recently.

Fact is they leveraged the location disagreement to their advantage in the lease which their fans say is just good business. Problem is this is taxpayer money so it may be good business for uofl but it's not demonstrating any civic duty to the city.

I've also heard that (1) the ambitious TIF revenue projections uofl claim are at fault for the funding issues were done by uofl themselves and (2) they had representatives on both sides of the negotiating table when finalizing the lease agreement.

So they are responsible for the deal and have also done all they can to make it impossible for an NBA team to come in to help pay for the arena and possibly help the city grow.

The recent renegotiation has changed the lease so I'm hoping that has changed. They have given up some of the scheduling restraints that they had but you know little brother is worried about an NBA team stealing their fans, their insecurity oozes from their pores down there!

Move to. One of the most impressive cities on the move. Something like 84 people a day move there. Incredible % of college educated young people. It has left Louisville n the dust. Cranes for new construction everywhere .

My son and his family choose to live there and love it . Say they will never move and I can see why . It really is a perfect mix of southern charm with large city advantages. Great schools. If I were doing it all over again it's where I would be.

Shame it's in the state of Tenn.
But good gawd the traffic at rush hour. Yikes! Got caught in it twice in a recent trip through there (unfortunately timed). If it's like that all the time during rush hour, no thank you.

To further make your point while driving the day after Hugh Freeze got fired I was listening to the college sports station on Sirius. When the announcer asked a so called expert on college sports if Freeze would ever work again the expert gave a ten to fifteen minute discussion that related ninety per cent to UL. He said " well The university of Louisville is the only college I know which would tolerate such behavior and they have two coaches for both football and basketball who should have been fired but have an AD and administration that support them . "

He then went on to discuss every detail of both Pitino's and Petrinos scandals as well as the Minardi hall prostitution incident involving sixteen year old recruits. At one point. He did say " Franklly as long as you win I'm not sure what you can't do at UL and still keep your job"

The leadership of Louisville can have all of the positive ads they want about our city but it is all undone by that school on third street that makes the whole community look like a bunch of fools.

ADVERTISEMENT