ADVERTISEMENT

University of Kentucky Opens New Cannabis Research Center

Posting on catspause can lead to arguments which can lead to frustration and stress which are known reasons why one drinks alcohol. So catspause is a gateway to drinking and therefor should be illegal 😉. I socially drink and do not smoke weed.

Heard an accident this morning, called 911, and ran to the scene. Rolled SUV, airbags deployed, tall boy bottles outside the open driver door. Alcohol is an evil in many people’s lives.

Last edited:
Please help me understand something. As a user, can you explain why your supplier would do something knowing it may kill his "customers? I'll be honest ...I've always been scared of drugs since I was a teenager and my generation(born 1950) started all this BS. Never used, but I've seen way too much for me . Watching paramedics revive my od son is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy! And he didn't stop till it killed him. I guess that's why I hate all of it with a passion! I do do a little WR or Rum from time to time...by the way, my son's toxicology report said he had 10 times the limit of fentnayl to kill a human.

I’ll be honest with you, I’m completely baffled by the whole fentanyl thing. I honestly don’t even know why it was made or manufactured to begin with. Who the hell has a use for it? And I think it’s incredibly scary, just wild what’s going on with it.

But I will tell you how I get my weed that I smoke about 1 night a month now. I don’t live in Kentucky. I go to a store, about once every three months and I purchase it. It’s in a vacuum sealed bag that says to return to store if the seal is broken. It has the exact percentage of TCH and other incredients in it (basically has a nutrition label on it). It says who made it and where, and it’s always in America. Always know it’s real stuff and not laced, and it’s pretty cheap.

Want to know how I got it when I smoked way more regularly in college? I would drive to a drug dealers house and get it from him. He usually had cocaine, ecstasy, and god knows what else. He always made sure to offer those to me, at a discount since it would be my first time. He made way more money if I started that stuff and got hooked over boring weed. The weed I got was almost always from Mexico. No clue the quality. No clue if it was laced with heroine or PCP. It also gave me an in to try harder drugs if I wanted. It demystified illegal drugs and made them seem not as bad. I mean if weed is illegal how bad is cocaine, really? That’s what’s funny to me. Making something as benign as weed illegal doesn’t stop people from smoking it, It just makes the whole drug trade accessible to everyone.

I’ll be honest with you, I’m completely baffled by the whole fentanyl thing. I honestly don’t even know why it was made or manufactured to begin with. Who the hell has a use for it? And I think it’s incredibly scary, just wild what’s going on with it.

But I will tell you how I get my weed that I smoke about 1 night a month now. I don’t live in Kentucky. I go to a store, about once every three months and I purchase it. It’s in a vacuum sealed bag that says to return to store if the seal is broken. It has the exact percentage of TCH and other incredients in it (basically has a nutrition label on it). It says who made it and where, and it’s always in America. Always know it’s real stuff and not laced, and it’s pretty cheap.

Want to know how I got it when I smoked way more regularly in college? I would drive to a drug dealers house and get it from him. He usually had cocaine, ecstasy, and god knows what else. He always made sure to offer those to me, at a discount since it would be my first time. He made way more money if I started that stuff and got hooked over boring weed. The weed I got was almost always from Mexico. No clue the quality. No clue if it was laced with heroine or PCP. It also gave me an in to try harder drugs if I wanted. It demystified illegal drugs and made them seem not as bad. I mean if weed is illegal how bad is cocaine, really? That’s what’s funny to me. Making something as benign as weed illegal doesn’t stop people from smoking it, It just makes the whole drug trade accessible to everyone.
Reasonable thought-provoking analysis. There is a flip argument that people will think it’s legal and, therefore, won’t harm them, but your point is well-taken.

100%... funny that we have basically ended the War on Drugs that everybody complained about, and now we have 100K+ people dying a year from Fentanyl.

We have not stopped the war on drugs. We’ve basically called a cease-fire on pot. The other battles rage on. The DEA is currently employing about 10,000 with a budget of $2.5 billion.

I’ve oft wondered why we can’t admit that drugs won. We’ve been at it in earnest for 50 years. And spent billions and billions. And ruined unknown thousands of lives by jailing buyers and sellers. And trampled on civil rights. And still every year has its scourge. Whether it was heroin or coke or crack or meth….and now fentanyl.

And the answer is, government bureaucracy. Got to keep those folks employed, and got to keep that money train rolling. So, after 50 years and billions spent, they still will never declare victory nor admit defeat. It’s idiotic!

Reactions: FtWorthCat
I am sorry that people take phrases like the “war on drugs” literally and think it means we will someday win. Science is creating better avenues for addressing addiction and the effects of addiction, but until we can cure addiction, drugs/alcohol will ruin lives. Legalization of dangerous addictive drugs is not the answer. But, if someone has a plan, they should let the rest of us know. The critic without an alternative plan serves no one but themselves.

I honestly don’t even know why it was made or manufactured to begin with. Who the hell has a use for it?
My understanding is it was developed specifically for cancer patients, and honestly it was the only drug that gave my dad any relief whatsoever. He had both non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and multiple myleoma (a blood cancer that basically eats away at your bones from the marrow out). Dude was as tough as they come, but in his weaker moments he'd admit to me that he continuously hurt throughout every square inch of his body -- he described it as the worst toothache you can imagine, yet felt along the entire length of every bone, even fingers and toes. Unimaginable suffering. So for patients like him, Fentanyl was a god-send. One patch every 2-3 days would blunt the pain around the clock.

My understanding is it was developed specifically for cancer patients, and honestly it was the only drug that gave my dad any relief whatsoever. He had both non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and multiple myleoma (a blood cancer that basically eats away at your bones from the marrow out). Dude was as tough as they come, but in his weaker moments he'd admit to me that he continuously hurt throughout every square inch of his body -- he described it as the worst toothache you can imagine, yet felt along the entire length of every bone, even fingers and toes. Unimaginable suffering. So for patients like him, Fentanyl was a god-send. One patch every 2-3 days would blunt the pain around the clock.

Thanks for the response. Makes sense. Seems like something that should be produced in extremely small quantities and very difficult to get. How these people are getting busted with 100 pound bags of it is very troubling.

Reactions: _Mav_
Thanks for the response. Makes sense. Seems like something that should be produced in extremely small quantities and very difficult to get. How these people are getting busted with 100 pound bags of it is very troubling.
Completely agree. It was hard to get an Rx for it back then (2006), and it was tightly regulated and scrutinized -- and justifiably so. The stuff is about 75X stronger than morphine and one little patch the size of a large band-aid lasted 48-72 hours. I remember treating that shit like plutonium lol. I'd glove up and make sure I just barely touched the edge of the adhesive when I took one off/put one on. I'm sure it's even harder to get an Rx for it today. The problem on the street, of course, is once the cartels figured out how to synthesize it, they just started cranking it out by the bucket.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Completely agree. It was hard to get an Rx for it back then (2006), and it was tightly regulated and scrutinized -- and justifiably so. The stuff is about 75X stronger than morphine and one little patch the size of a large band-aid lasted 48-72 hours. I remember treating that shit like plutonium lol. I'd glove up and make sure I just barely touched the edge of the adhesive when I took one off/put one on. I'm sure it's even harder to get an Rx for it today. The problem on the street, of course, is once the cartels figured out how to synthesize it, they just started cranking it out by the bucket.

You were smart to do that. Unfortunately in the news a couple months ago about 30 mins away from where I live 2 people died pumping gas at the gas station after work. They found fentanyl on the gas pump, so the people touched the gas pump and it absorbed through their skin and killed them. Shit is intense.

You were smart to do that. Unfortunately in the news a couple months ago about 30 mins away from where I live 2 people died pumping gas at the gas station after work. They found fentanyl on the gas pump, so the people touched the gas pump and it absorbed through their skin and killed them. Shit is intense.
Wow. What a horrible, senseless tragedy. From a purely pharmacologic standpoint, it amazes me how a drug can be absorbed trans-dermally -- by simply touching no less, i.e. not even in a patch -- in a sufficient quantity to kill someone. I mean the street shit has to be concentrated to a level 1,000s of times greater than the prescription version, and medical grade fentanyl is itself incredibly potent.

Reactions: Ron Mehico

Very well put and logical. IMO you have the over 60ish folks that think pot=dope=heroin and the under 60ish folks that think pot= cannabis=a plant. No offense to the older folks but this change in mindset and the new laws that are taking place are because older folks are retiring or dying and no longer being our elected officials. Sorry older folks but I hope I’m there one day too.

They aren't synthesizing it. They are buying in bulk from china. Weird how even with all the shipping wows that China made sure those shipments still hit Mexico.

I am sorry that people take phrases like the “war on drugs” literally and think it means we will someday win. Science is creating better avenues for addressing addiction and the effects of addiction, but until we can cure addiction, drugs/alcohol will ruin lives. Legalization of dangerous addictive drugs is not the answer. But, if someone has a plan, they should let the rest of us know. The critic without an alternative plan serves no one but themselves.

My daughter was a cancer patient for surgery and stayed from Dec. 20th till the middle of February in lndianapolis. She was getting Fentanyl and went home with oxycodone. I was scared out of my mind. She has a 5 and 9 year old. Had to stay with her 5 days a week for almost 3 months in horrible pain from surgery. All that stuff scares me
With the ccp, l think it's more about destroying America from within than the money.

Last edited:
Reactions: hmt5000 and rudd1
Did you miss the part where I said l think it should be legalized, but still don't like it? For now, l still have a right to MY opinion with first hand knowledge, right? And that would be grandson with weed, BIL being an alcoholic, wife is the smoker. Also, lost a son to heroin addiction which started with weed as his first step. The detective that handled his case told my wife and l that they are now finding weed sprayed with fentnayl. Go figure. If you, or others , smoke everyday...why are you scared to research CHS?
You can’t say his first step was weed because you could say it’s sugar, it triggers the same receptors in the brain as cocaine. Correlation is not causation.

That’s also why weed should be legal. I also go to a store and buy it in a sealed bag that’s regulated. If you don’t legalize that’s how you’ll get people ODing on stuff they didn’t even want or plan to buy.

Debbie is back fellas.
15qase.jpg

Cannabis is psychologically addictive, but not physically addictive, meaning if you quit cold turkey, you won’t die from the withdrawals. You’ll just be irritable and will have a hard time sleeping for about a week.

If one is addicted to alcohol, benzos or the opiate family, quitting cold turkey can kill the user because those substances are physically addictive, as are caffeine and nicotine but on a lower scale.

I smoked weed for the first time at 15 in 1995. I smoked literally every single day from 1997-2005, and pretty much regularly but not daily from 2010-present. I’m college educated, have been consistently employed since I was 16 years old, own a home and multiple vehicles, have been married to the same gal for 20 years (she also partakes) and am generally a law abiding citizen outside of illegally ingesting burnt plant matter, which IS legal in more than half the country.

I guess I’m an addict too, but am miraculously high functioning OR the anti cannabis propaganda is mostly BS. (As someone who worked tirelessly with advocacy groups for the last decade to finally get Kentucky on the path to legalization, my opinion is the latter. In fact, my primary care physician said he supports me treating my migraines with cannabis, but can’t legally enter that into my record because it’s still a Schedule I substance and is still llegal to prescribe in Kentucky.)

In my teens and 20s, I drank to the point of drunkenness 5-7 days a week and did pretty much all the hard drugs at least once. Today, I don’t consume alcohol outside of family social functions and haven’t touched a hard drug in 18 years. Booze gave me hangovers and I got tired of apologizing for my actions/words the night before. Speedy drugs aren’t good for the heart and staying up for days on end isn’t good for you. With weed, worst I ever did was eat all the food and had to go to the store the next day. Wake up feeling fine and know exactly what I did the night before.

Legalization is the best approach. Wether it’s booze, guns, drugs or books, prohibition doesn’t work and only creates dangerous, unregulated black markets All the prohibited items are still around in Everytown, USA. They’re just more expensive and dangerous to acquire. And, the government regulating which plants I can grow seems like overreach.

I know I’d rather consumers be able to go to a store to buy cannabis where the product includes labeling for grower information, harvest date and potency as opposed to smoking whatever is in the bag the weed man sold the customer in the Burger King parking lot behind the dumpster.

There’s also several methods a consumer could choose from besides the traditional smoking of cannabis flower (edibles, topicals, cartridges, concentrates). A friend of mine’s mom is currently battling breast cancer. Cannabis edibles are the sole reason she can eat after chemotherapy and keep it down, where the prescription anti nausea meds make her sicker.

That’s my two cents as a cannabis advocate living in a state that worships the worst drug of them all - alcohol.

"The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world." -- Carl Sagan, 1969
Yeah, things are so serene and insightful today.

Weed causes A Fib.
I found out the hard way. Do the research.
I did 10 seconds of research. Lots of shit can cause AFib. From the Mayo Clinic...

Risk factors​

Things that can increase the risk of atrial fibrillation (AFib) include:

• Age. The risk of AFib increases as you grow older.
  • Caffeine, nicotine or illegal drug use. Caffeine, nicotine and some illegal drugs — such as amphetamines and cocaine — can cause your heart to beat faster. Use of these substances may lead to the development of more-serious arrhythmias.
  • Drinking too much alcohol. Drinking too much alcohol can affect the electrical signals in the heart. This can increase the risk of atrial fibrillation.
  • Changes in the level of body minerals. Minerals in the blood called electrolytes — such as potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium — help the heart beat. If these substances are too low or too high, irregular heartbeats may occur.
  • Family history. An increased risk of atrial fibrillation occurs in some families.
  • Heart problems or heart surgery. Coronary artery disease, heart valve disease and heart problems present at birth increase the risk of AFib. A history of heart attack or heart surgery also makes a person more likely to get the condition.
  • High blood pressure. Having high blood pressure increases the risk of getting coronary artery disease. Over time, high blood pressure may cause part of the heart to become stiff and thick. This can change how heartbeat signals travel through the heart.
  • Obesity. People who have obesity are at higher risk of developing atrial fibrillation.
  • Other long-term health conditions. You may be more likely to get AFib if you have diabetes, chronic kidney disease, lung disease or sleep apnea.
  • Some medicines and supplements. Some prescription medicines and certain cough and cold remedies bought without a prescription can cause irregular heartbeats.
  • Thyroid disease. Having an overactive thyroid gland can raise the risk of irregular heartbeats.

I did 10 seconds of research. Lots of shit can cause AFib. From the Mayo Clinic...

Risk factors​

Things that can increase the risk of atrial fibrillation (AFib) include:

• Age. The risk of AFib increases as you grow older.
  • Caffeine, nicotine or illegal drug use. Caffeine, nicotine and some illegal drugs — such as amphetamines and cocaine — can cause your heart to beat faster. Use of these substances may lead to the development of more-serious arrhythmias.
  • Drinking too much alcohol. Drinking too much alcohol can affect the electrical signals in the heart. This can increase the risk of atrial fibrillation.
  • Changes in the level of body minerals. Minerals in the blood called electrolytes — such as potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium — help the heart beat. If these substances are too low or too high, irregular heartbeats may occur.
  • Family history. An increased risk of atrial fibrillation occurs in some families.
  • Heart problems or heart surgery. Coronary artery disease, heart valve disease and heart problems present at birth increase the risk of AFib. A history of heart attack or heart surgery also makes a person more likely to get the condition.
  • High blood pressure. Having high blood pressure increases the risk of getting coronary artery disease. Over time, high blood pressure may cause part of the heart to become stiff and thick. This can change how heartbeat signals travel through the heart.
  • Obesity. People who have obesity are at higher risk of developing atrial fibrillation.
  • Other long-term health conditions. You may be more likely to get AFib if you have diabetes, chronic kidney disease, lung disease or sleep apnea.
  • Some medicines and supplements. Some prescription medicines and certain cough and cold remedies bought without a prescription can cause irregular heartbeats.
  • Thyroid disease. Having an overactive thyroid gland can raise the risk of irregular heartbeats.
So, after 30 years of smoking weed. I quit weed, and the a fib stopped.
I know I won't convince anyone's opinion, but this was my experience.
To each his own.

Well OBVIOUSLY weed causes A Fib in EVERYONE that uses it and we’re all just dumb and use it anyway… 🤦‍♂️

Hey gang this one guy over here a bad experience so everyone stop using it!
So, after 30 years of smoking weed. I quit weed, and the a fib stopped.
I know I won't convince anyone's opinion, but this was my experience.
To each his own.
I got a DUI once from using alcohol. I stopped using alcohol and don’t have any more DUIs. I know I won’t convince anyone’s opinion, but this was my experience.
To each his own.

ADVERTISEMENT