ADVERTISEMENT

UNC to meet with NCAA Infractions committee

JFCats22

All-American
Feb 3, 2015
date set for August 16.

Can't wait to see the joke of a punishment UNC gets after this meeting.

A two-day meeting. Ouch!

I'm picturing a 48-hour senate confirmation type of atmosphere...where both democrats and republicans alike are grilling the hell out of ol' Roy...on national TV...and he cries....a lot.

Two days of nothing more than a bunch of this....

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAKcAAAAJDAwZGZkZjM2LTRlMDktNDNmMi1hNmE0LWY4ZWMzMWRlMmNiNw.jpg

Which means the ruling won't come out till late Friday. Meeting Wednesday/Thursday... deliberate Friday morning/afternoon then say something late Friday when no one sees it.
Dude, you know as well as I do that the result could come out at 2:42 am on a Monday morning and our rabid fanbase would be all over it! :)

I know some of you are dead set on being disappointed, but I'm seeing this as the NCAA is super pissed at being mocked by UNC's admins and the NCAA is going to come down hard on them, as they should.

That article posted by @rick64 is actually quite good. It pinpoints some stats and the NCAA's stance on what UNC is claiming. It's a clean view into how bad things could get for UNC.

A two-day meeting. Ouch!

I'm picturing a 48-hour senate confirmation type of atmosphere...where both democrats and republicans alike are grilling the hell out of ol' Roy...on national TV...and he cries....a lot.
I rather expect a wine and cheese social. I fully expect the NCAA to call it an academic matter and cop out.

This is perfect timing. UNC already has their title. They are going into a down year. The team is not expected to compete for a title.

The NCAA could give them probation and make them sit out the NCAA tourney the next season or two.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was orchestrated behind close doors. Both parties benefit. The NCAA can say they punished UNC, and UNC can appease their fans with a banner hanging celebration in October.

But I don't see anyway that UNC or UofL either one are forced to bring down any banners.

Just can't see it happening.

I always believed the NCAA wouldnt take a champion, until they did.

Who knows. I could see Louisville being the sacrificial lamb, and could also see UNC getting hit. Depends on how far the corruption goes.

If they strip UNC, can you imagine the grandstanding and appeals? We probably wouldn't know the outcome for years. And I could see UNC rejecting the ruling and hanging the banners anyway. Would be interesting.

This is perfect timing. UNC already has their title. They are going into a down year. The team is not expected to compete for a title.

The NCAA could give them probation and make them sit out the NCAA tourney the next season or two.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was orchestrated behind close doors. Both parties benefit. The NCAA can say they punished UNC, and UNC can appease their fans with a banner hanging celebration in October.

But I don't see anyway that UNC or UofL either one are forced to bring down any banners.

Well, Louisville is losing their banner, I see no way around it.

Doesn't it take 6-8 weeks after the coi hearing to get the results? I think UL had theirs in April then the sanctions came out on 6/15.

This could involve probation for just about every athletic sport UNC has. I have not heard if baseball was involved, but just about every other sport has been mentioned.

Grabbing my popcorn........

Keep in mind that there will not be any penalties announced after the hearing. With UofL the NCAA said to expect a ruling within 6-8 weeks after the hearing.... and then they ruled in exactly 8 weeks. I still expect people to be confused frustrated and thinking UNC "got off" when they have to wait until just before Halloween to hear about the penalties.

Given the NCAAs response to UNC, and their penalties given to UofL, I just can't see how UNC keeps their banners. Impermissible benefits = ineligible players = vacated games. That's the one thing the NCAA is consistent about.

I disagree, I believe that UL's banner is gone...The NCAA is awaiting the response as to which games that ineligible players participated in. The ruling has already been made, just seeing how much honesty Ul cops to.. UNC may not lose any banners, although they should lose 2-IMO. Fake classes made players that may not have been eligible, eligible.. Therefore games have to be vacated..again MO..

So you believe the appeals committee is going to rule the UL players eligible? How so?

Reactions: UKWildcatT
You must be reading a different response from the NCAA. Ever since Sankey joined the Committe on Infractions they have had a much stronger stance against UNC.

One can only hope...

So you believe the appeals committee is going to rule the UL players eligible? How so?

i think the only thing ul can argue is the severity of the punishment
the NCAA stated that it used the old rules to lighten the punishment
no way ul wins the appeal
they may get a scholarship back or a year knocked off their probation
the players will not get their eligibility back, so the banners are gone
you simply can not play ineligible players

i am in your court
i am not sure why some think they will keep the banners

These are the facts that everyone agrees on:

1) UNC turned an entire "academic" department into a de facto athlete grade factory. They intentionally steered athletes from virtually every team to these classes. [BTW: kids, if you want a job, never major in anything that ends with "studies"]
2) These classes were insanely easy. Sometimes they only required a single paper and that paper was very often written for the kid by someone in the department.
3) When this arrangement was made public the university tacitly admitted they were in the wrong by firing several members of the department.

If this was the only thing that happened, then I'd say they'd get anywhere from a slap on the wrists to long-term probation.

However:

1) After the fact, UNC doubled-down on self-righteousness. They stalled, they delayed, they stonewalled. The department heads flatly refused to talk to the NCAA.
2) They claimed, feebly, that because the sham classes were given to non-athletes that they weren't "special benefits". Think about that logic for a moment: if a school bribed an athlete and then bribed a non-athlete, how does that make the initial bribery ok? It's absurd on its face. "It's ok, honey. Sure, I slept with your sister, but I slept with your cousin too, so it's not really adultery." See how that flies.
3) And here is the big one: throughout the process, UNC has adopted that attitude that the NCAA has no authority over them, that not only did they do nothing wrong, but the NCAA doesn't even have the right to judge them. This is poking the bear with a burning stick. If there is one thing the NCAA hates is when schools question their authority. In such cases, they usually go Old Testament on them. (Which makes since, since Yahweh didn't take sh!t off anyone either).

This is why I think the NCAA drops the hammer on UNC. They need to send a message to other teams that stalling will not save you and flaunting the authority of the NCAA will not be tolerated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT