ADVERTISEMENT

UNC Professor Boxill Fired Over Fraud

Mar 25, 2007
University Chancellor Carol Folt said in a letter Wednesday that philosophy professor Jeanette Boxill was notified of her upcoming termination on the same day last October that a scathing report was released. Boxill, former chairwoman of the faculty council, is appealing.
This post was edited on 12/31 2:52 PM by 55mgtf

Boxill

Originally posted by rye48:
Is she heading to UofL also ?
No, they don't need her expertise, besides, she got caught, must be an amateur by UL's standards.

I love it. The ethics prof is appealing?
roll.r191677.gif
"Yeah, I don't have any ethics but I should still be allowed to teach ethics at UNC***. They don't have any either so what's the problem?"

What will UNC do now without that strong ethical foundation Boxill provided?
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by jarms24:
Can't wait for Jan the man to roll over on some folks.
party0017.r191677.gif
Exactly. Her getting fired doesn't sound like she negotiated a good enough deal otherwise, they might have let her get by with a resignation unless she has something else coming under the table.

"The Associated Press and nine other media companies filed a lawsuit demanding the records of those who were disciplined."

Way too many athletes for the NCAA to ignore this abuse.

Is the chancellor now trying to save her hide? Firing someone during the holiday season? Not cool at all.

...is this statement in the article accurate??? "Boxill directed women's basketball players she advised into the fake courses"

Honestly I haven't read as much on the UNC scandal as others on here...did she only advise women's basketball players? or is this just another way to redirect the conversation away from the men's team to protect banners and Roy?

Go get 'em, Jan! You need to lay out exactly how all of this worked. It's the only way you'll ever be vindicated, by showing how you're but a scapegoat among a campus of countless other conspirators.

Originally posted by CatsRWild:
...is this statement in the article accurate??? "Boxill directed women's basketball players she advised into the fake courses"

Honestly I haven't read as much on the UNC scandal as others on here...did she only advise women's basketball players? or is this just another way to redirect the conversation away from the men's team to protect banners and Roy?
Boxill was the women's bball counselor. Walden was the men's bball counselor.

This doesn't deflect anything at this point. It is just a recognition that she was part of the fraud.

Nvm. Misread the quote.
This post was edited on 12/31 6:03 PM by jamo0001

I would not be surprised if a number of these fired UNC employees rolled back onto UNC itself. This will only go deeper. Yet it is still very uncertaine if the NCAA will take any actions at all.

What I found interesting was the fact that another AFAM prof resigned because he had knowledge of the cheating. If the truth were to come out, I think almost every professor in the AFAM department had knowledge of the cheating. If they didn't, they should have.

This is the story that just keeps unfolding, little by little, bit by bit.....

They gotta find someone else to fire every time the national media picks up the story again. They are doing this all the while protecting that gosh darn Roy. It also is just a coincidence that he had similar program at Kansas that Bill Self cancelled after he was hired. One of the things that I find funny is Dick Vitale after learning that Eddie Sutton arranged for Eric Manuel to take the test in Lexington so they could cheat, immediately called on national TV for him to resign. His buddy Ole Roy he hasn't said a word ?

Originally posted by Trubluepopeye:
They gotta find someone else to fire every time the national media picks up the story again. They are doing this all the while protecting that gosh darn Roy. It also is just a coincidence that he had similar program at Kansas that Bill Self cancelled after he was hired. One of the things that I find funny is Dick Vitale after learning that Eddie Sutton arranged for Eric Manuel to take the test in Lexington so they could cheat, immediately called on national TV for him to resign. His buddy Ole Roy he hasn't said a word ?
Vitale also called on UT to fire Pearl BEFORE the allegations were substantiated. I am still wating for him to criticize ol Roy.

I'm sure she stormed out with a brief case of hush money , throw a nifty appeal in there for looks .

Why didn't they give her a chance to simply apologize?

That's all it takes and all is forgiven? Right? That's the approach UNC wants the NCAA to take isn't it?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

They're trying their best to make it appear as solely an academic issue...they'll fire professors, tutors, TA's, etc...

but I wonder when or if Athletic specific heads will start rolling...department heads and/or coaches...perhaps they will eventually...

Pretty standard CYA procedure...find all the non essential people you can to take the fall and offer them up as sacrificial lambs...

"oh look, they're firing a few people...must have just been a few bad eggs spoiling the bunch....we shouldn't condemn the whole outfit"

Couple of lazy rogue professors, isn't as bad as an institution gone bad and an Athletic Department flexing their muscle so athletes stay eligible...

When things get sticky the folks who take the orders always get the ax from the folks who gave the orders...

Reminds me of the scene in Tombstone where Curly Bill(UNC athletics) is shootring up the town and everyone says somebody ought to do something.Behan(NCAA) says it is a town matter(academics) so they send out Fred White(Boxill)who gets shot(fired).

Originally posted by gossie21:
Why didn't they give her a chance to simply apologize?

That's all it takes and all is forgiven? Right? That's the approach UNC wants the NCAA to take isn't it?

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Good one!

Originally posted by truebluewildcat:

They're trying their best to make it appear as solely an academic issue...they'll fire professors, tutors, TA's, etc...

Pretty standard CYA procedure...find all the non essential people you can to take the fall and offer them up as sacrificial lambs...

When things get sticky the folks who take the orders always get the ax from the folks who gave the orders...
^ this is on point

They have also gone from "holier than thou" to "everyone does this" and now feel they are being singled out and flogged for everyone's sins.

I have debated with those folks FOR YEARS that if you looked behind the curtains every program would have some issues ..... and they ALL claimed everyone but UNC. Now they act like 18 years of cheating PLUS the cover up isn't even worthy of a penalty.

I realize that is a generalization, I have a good friend whose attitude is that the NCAA should penalize and let's move on it ASAP. When I said what if they take away games or titles ..... he said "whatever they would do to anyone else, I don't care. We deserve whatever they decide to hit us with. I'll live with it."

Clearly he speaks for a minority, but it is a growing minority as each new lie is exposed.

The NCAA would already be done with this investigation if only they could get past this gate.
This post was edited on 1/2 9:54 PM by sambowieshin

Waiting patiently for the US gov to lay claim to a refund for the falsified gov financial support for students who took those classes.
Originally posted by NC Weasel:
They have also gone from "holier than thou" to "everyone does this" and now feel they are being singled out and flogged for everyone's sins.

Originally posted by preacherfan:

Originally posted by Trubluepopeye:
Vitale also called on UT to fire Pearl BEFORE the allegations were substantiated. I am still wating for him to criticize ol Roy.
lurk.r191677.gif
Never in my life time!

Originally posted by NC Weasel:

I have debated with those folks FOR YEARS that if you looked behind the curtains every program would have some issues ..... and they ALL claimed everyone but UNC. Now they act like 18 years of cheating PLUS the cover up isn't even worthy of a penalty.

I realize that is a generalization, I have a good friend whose attitude is that the NCAA should penalize and let's move on it ASAP. When I said what if they take away games or titles ..... he said "whatever they would do to anyone else, I don't care. We deserve whatever they decide to hit us with. I'll live with it."

Clearly he speaks for a minority, but it is a growing minority as each new lie is exposed.
"whatever they would do to anyone else" . . . interesting. Who should that hypothetically be, for the love of Christ? How about us? How about the death penalty that would already had been given to us in more celebrated fashion than Mardis Gras? That's no sh*t. By now, UK would already have emerged from death penalty . . . yet jack squat has happened at Chapel Hill.

So what's your stance nowadays, Weasel? Two, three years ago you were often found posting from the side of the devil's advocate and I'm being nice.

Pic down. No offense meant....Gate was just a metaphor for the dictator like control of information and people at UNCheat.

Originally posted by Big Blue 1977:

Go get 'em, Jan! You need to lay out exactly how all of this worked. It's the only way you'll ever be vindicated, by showing how you're but a scapegoat among a campus of countless other conspirators.
There is no way they will let anyone go without a big, big pay off.... No way do they want this to come back and bite them.... Former players will get their piece of the pie too... I expect them to do anything to keep their banners hanging....

Cash is flying at Chapel Hill , paying anything that moves to suppress this crime . They are void of integrity , so they plan to purchase it .

Originally posted by Bell Cat 70:
More heads will roll.
What makes you think so? I would bet this will be the meat that UNC tosses to the lions. And although these people are culpable, they are also the just the fall guys. They certainly didn't devise the program of cheat, they simply played along. I can't help but notice that no one of consequence like an AD, a Chancellor or even a President has been held responsible, and they apparently all knew of the fraud. Why the hell hasn't ole Roy boy been fired? Why hasn't Gutheridge and Smith been repremanded. Your comments are exactly what the Administration envisioned - a cry of revenge from the public, followed by a statement from the NCAA that "This academic matter has been handled internally by the institution", and no further action taken by the University or the NCAA, with high hopes the scandal dies from silence.

What's confusing (for lack of a better word) to me is that UNC and the Wainstein report have tried to pin everything on N'yangoro (sp?) and Debbie Crowder. Now all these other folks are being fired based on the Wainstein report emails contained in the report's addendum.

When does it move on from a "couple of rogues" to, uh, institution wide?

Originally posted by DDS62:
Originally posted by Bell Cat 70:
More heads will roll.
What makes you think so? I would bet this will be the meat that UNC tosses to the lions. And although these people are culpable, they are also the just the fall guys. They certainly didn't devise the program of cheat, they simply played along. I can't help but notice that no one of consequence like an AD, a Chancellor or even a President has been held responsible, and they apparently all knew of the fraud. Why the hell hasn't ole Roy boy been fired? Why hasn't Gutheridge and Smith been repremanded. Your comments are exactly what the Administration envisioned - a cry of revenge from the public, followed by a statement from the NCAA that "This academic matter has been handled internally by the institution", and no further action taken by the University or the NCAA, with high hopes the scandal dies from silence.
Agree. I deal with major corporations and crisis management all of the time. My forty years of knowing how institutions and the human mind works tells me there is NO WAY this went on for over 18 years without everyone in an important administrative capacity with UNC including ALL coaches and assistants in the athletic department knowing what was going on. That includes every president of UNC . No way to keep a "secret? "over 18 years which over three thousand people knew about . It could not have continued to take place without the knowledge and consent of the leaders of the institution.

No question whatsoever it is the worst scandal in the history of college sports because it makes a mockery of the very purpose of higher education. UNC should also be heavily penalized not only for the crime but for the cover up and attempts with public funds to whitewash the matter and mitigate damages.

Originally posted by bigbluehomer:
What's confusing (for lack of a better word) to me is that UNC and the Wainstein report have tried to pin everything on N'yangoro (sp?) and Debbie Crowder. Now all these other folks are being fired based on the Wainstein report emails contained in the report's addendum.

When does it move on from a "couple of rogues" to, uh, institution wide?
The UNC boat is springing a few more leaks,I think we see this continue to happen in the next few weeks.Like in the old Batman t.v. show "the worst is yet to come" BAM!,POW!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT