ADVERTISEMENT

Ullis needs to keep head on a swivel for WVU

Mar 5, 2013
After watching this Vine....https://vine.co/v/OYPg0wHrpKi I have a couple of thoughts...first it is very apparent to me that Tyler is our greatest asset in consistently breaking the West Virginia press. He and the rest of the Cats need to work on calling out all screen's to Ullis or this could happen to him. WVU is certainly not above trying this ploy again. Also I realize that Trimble was pulled from the game because his teammate kicked him in the head in a later play after this occurred. But don't think for a minute that WVU won't try to rough up Tyler. He is tough as nails but we have got to be ready to call out all screen's to him.

This post was edited on 3/23 6:44 PM by Untouchables22

Originally posted by Untouchables22:
After watching this Vine....https://vine.co/v/OYPg0wHrpKi I have a couple of thoughts...first it is very apparent to me that Tyler is our greatest asset in consistently breaking the West Virginia press. He and the rest of the Cats need to work on calling out all screen's to Ullis or this could happen to him. WVU is certainly not above trying this ploy again. Also I realize that Trimble was pulled from the game because his teammate kicked him in the head in a later play after this occurred. But don't think for a minute that WVU won't try to rough up Tyler. He is tough as nails but we have got to be ready to call out all screen's to him.

Agreed. I think that Ulis's speed will be a crucial factor in breaking the press, but I also think that strength and size in the offense's guards are huge in a pressing/trapping situation. Andrew Harrison has improved his ball handling by leaps and bounds this year and knows how to draw fouls better than last year.

I fully expect Calipari to play Ulis, Andrew, Aaron, Lyles, and Towns a whole lot.

To me, the key player will be Lyles in the pivot. He has the height and hands to catch wildly thrown balls his way, and has the ability to turn and shoot, drive, or dish to Towns for a baseline dunk. Look for him to set up near the free throw line in the front court, with our guards pushing the ball forward. Lyles will also have his hands full against the goggles, but he rarely makes mistakes. He will be our stabilizer.

We will also need Booker's quick first step in the offensive attack. He has a quicker first step than Aaron, which is crucial in beating a quick team.

The guys have done a real good job of taking care of the ball, lets hope that continues. You never know about Huggins he may do a complete reversal in how they play, if I remember right when we played them before they were not known to shoot the three and they came out with both guns blazing shooting and hitting threes got the lead and made us play catch up the whole game, if they can get the lead and hang on to it our guys might crack lets hope not. I hope Cal comes out of the gates swinging I believe early control of the game will be important.

I would say the tall and very active trees would play a big role in getting the ball over the top as needed as well.

However, I wouldn't have the trees hang on to the ball and dribbling for an extended period as well....too many active hands slapping and hacking away at them....

Originally posted by pascat:

I fully expect Calipari to play Ulis, Andrew, Aaron, Lyles, and Towns a whole lot.
Add WCS to that list as well. With WVU pressing and us throwing the ball over top there will be NUMEROUS opportunities for some lob/dunk action. Get ready to bring the heat.

Originally posted by pascat:

Agreed. I think that Ulis's speed will be a crucial factor in breaking the press, but I also think that strength and size in the offense's guards are huge in a pressing/trapping situation. Andrew Harrison has improved his ball handling by leaps and bounds this year and knows how to draw fouls better than last year.

To me, the key player will be Lyles in the pivot. He has the height and hands to catch wildly thrown balls his way, and has the ability to turn and shoot, drive, or dish to Towns for a baseline dunk. Look for him to set up near the free throw line in the front court, with our guards pushing the ball forward. Lyles will also have his hands full against the goggles, but he rarely makes mistakes. He will be our stabilizer.

We will also need Booker's quick first step in the offensive attack. He has a quicker first step than Aaron, which is crucial in beating a quick team.
A team of Ulis, Andrew, Aaron, Lyles and Towns would be great late in the game protecting a lead and shooting foul shots. I expect that Cauley-Stien who IMO is UKs best player will get major minutes and do not see how you don't have him on the floor for a majority of the game.

This could be a game where Marcus Lee gets some time. We don't want him handling the ball but we could throw over the press to him as he goes for the basket. Probably a game where Dakari will struggle.

Someone on WVU better block Ulis out. Anyone remember Tyler's offensive tap putback against Cincy? TU is a glass cleaner now. GBB

Originally posted by reignof cats:

Someone on WVU better block Ulis out. Anyone remember Tyler's offensive tap putback against Cincy? TU is a glass cleaner now. GBB
He also grabbed a few nice boards among the trees.

That was a vicious pick. Reminds me of the one that clocked Ulis during the games in the Bahamas.

This post was edited on 3/24 1:22 PM by Teachable Moe

The only change I would make in the game plan against WV is to tell Dakari and Lee to drop anybody in the lane in their tracks if the opponent gets too physical.

Originally posted by UPSCat4080:
Was the guy called for an illegal screen? That's the question I want to know.
Nope. No whistle on the play.

As for breaking the press, besides Tyler, the rest of the team should avoid dribbling through it. Use our size, throw over it, and then attack the rim. (Tyler can get by with it - he is that good w the ball)

I'll only get worried if I see us backing up against the press or getting across mid court and picking up our dribble.

Play fast and aggressive!

Kevin Garnett gets away with that screen/shove a lot, though sometimes he does get called for it. But no college player should get away with it. I have to think the officials will be watching for crap like this Thursday.

I'm more concerned about our bigs holding on to the ball. That's been a problem for them all year.

WCS, could be a big asset in catching and holding the ball in the start of breaking the press...plus he can dribble and move as well. And obviously he can throw up court over anyone.

I look forward to seeing if Cal might use him this way.

First though I think Ulis and the twins won't have too much trouble with their press, and no big change may be needed.

Go cats.

ADVERTISEMENT