ADVERTISEMENT

UL Championship

Aug 3, 2007
Owensboro, KY
I don't keep up with Card football that much and I was wondering if any of you have heard from UL fans about their impending national football championship this season?

Reactions: TopCatCal
giphy.gif

Reactions: bigdaddy741
I think they missed their golden opportunity last year. They still have Lamar who will win them plenty of games but they lost a TON of talent from both sides of the ball. They lost their top 3 pass catchers including their TE who was really good. Their #1 RB is also gone. On defense they lost a lot of talent as well with their best dlineman, their big safety- the UGA transfers and a bunch of linebackers in Feilds & Kelsey. They do still have that good CB and some good LBs but I think they really missed their chance and I am very happy about that! There is a pretty good chance they start 1-2. Opening the season in Indy vs Purdue, then going to UNC then Clemson at home. Also with trips to NC State, Florida St and UK I could easily see 4 or 5 losses for the Cards.

Reactions: bluecoon1
I think they missed their golden opportunity last year. They still have Lamar who will win them plenty of games but they lost a TON of talent from both sides of the ball. They lost their top 3 pass catchers including their TE who was really good. Their #1 RB is also gone. On defense they lost a lot of talent as well with their best dlineman, their big safety- the UGA transfers and a bunch of linebackers in Feilds & Kelsey. They do still have that good CB and some good LBs but I think they really missed their chance and I am very happy about that! There is a pretty good chance they start 1-2. Opening the season in Indy vs Purdue, then going to UNC then Clemson at home. Also with trips to NC State, Florida St and UK I could easily see 4 or 5 losses for the Cards.
Agree with all the points you make.
However I think Lamar will have a more difficult season just because UK and Houston showed how to defend his running.

Reactions: sefus12

Yeah, they're running out of the Strong/Hurtt recruits, especially on defense.

Their first string D will be good but not as good as last year but they're really thin, especially on the D line.

Opponents will look to wear them down and IMO will succeed.

Charlie recruited and developed some good defenders. I suspect they are running low on those, now.

Yeah, they're running out of the Strong/Hurtt recruits, especially on defense.

I have read many similar comments on this board pretty much since it was created. Switch Charlie's name for whoever. The fact is, since the millennium, the Cards have been in the pre-season AP 7 times in those 16 years. This year will make it 8 of 17 years. Now that is not comparable with LSU (16), GA (15), FL (13) and AL, AU and TN (10 each), but it is better than 8 SEC programs.

I have no idea what this year brings, but the Cards have finished in the AP Top 25 8 times in those 16 years. By that measure, only LSU, AL, GA, FL and AU have done better.

Except for a few teams, recruiting varies from year to year. It is hard, probably impossible, to keep every position strong every year. Often times you lose an "irreplaceable" player (and take a step back at that position) only to have a player emerge at another position and be strong somewhere else. But based on pre-season expectations and post season results it seems the Cards have been fairly consistent (especially for a "non-elite" program) in replacing lost talent. JMO

Peace

I don't keep up with Card football that much and I was wondering if any of you have heard from UL fans about their impending national football championship this season?

Looked on that ghost town of a site steelers ruined.

They're trying to figure out who their in Conf rival is....that place has tumble weeds and cobwebs.

Agree with all the points you make.
However I think Lamar will have a more difficult season just because UK and Houston showed how to defend his running.
While I'll give credit to our defense for making some good stops on Lamar in the game, especially the one that kept them out of the endzone and forced them to kick a field goal... well he still ran for 171 yards against us and that includes two sacks.

I have read many similar comments on this board pretty much since it was created. Switch Charlie's name for whoever. The fact is, since the millennium, the Cards have been in the pre-season AP 7 times in those 16 years. This year will make it 8 of 17 years. Now that is not comparable with LSU (16), GA (15), FL (13) and AL, AU and TN (10 each), but it is better than 8 SEC programs.

I have no idea what this year brings, but the Cards have finished in the AP Top 25 8 times in those 16 years. By that measure, only LSU, AL, GA, FL and AU have done better.

Except for a few teams, recruiting varies from year to year. It is hard, probably impossible, to keep every position strong every year. Often times you lose an "irreplaceable" player (and take a step back at that position) only to have a player emerge at another position and be strong somewhere else. But based on pre-season expectations and post season results it seems the Cards have been fairly consistent (especially for a "non-elite" program) in replacing lost talent. JMO

Peace

Yea you're special [eyeroll]....National Championship just around the corner.

While I'll give credit to our defense for making some good stops on Lamar in the game, especially the one that kept them out of the endzone and forced them to kick a field goal... well he still ran for 171 yards against us and that includes two sacks.
Those 171 yards came against a no so good defense.
This UL team is not nearly as talented as last years. Besides Lamar will be playing to not get hurt this year. As you saw when UK played he was to busy striking the pose to worry about winning.
You do make a valid point

Last edited:

Peace
You left this stat out, never in the history of college football has U of Smell had a winning record against UK. Plus Whores.

Peace
Really, what happens if we switch it with Steve KKragthorpe...still the same?
Louisville was in a week conf. until they joined the ACC. Any SEC school would have done as good or better if they had been playing MAC, BigEast, and AAC teams

Peace
Please. UL success is based on the suck ass conferences they have been a part of over the years. UL would have a very mediocre record if they had been a member of a real football conference over an extended period of time. Last year is a perfect example. UL was an overrated fraud throughout the entire year. Then they lost their last three games including getting destroyed by Houston and a LSU team that was middle of the pack in the SEC. Their bowl record is 7-7 during that period including Petrino going 1-2 since returning to UL. Jackson wouldn't have sniffed the Heisman trophy if he played in the SEC.

Yes we all are on top of UL football....next time checkout Louisville Rivals! Uh not UK Rivals....just saying

I would put the over/under on UL and UK at 7 this year.

What do I know, though?

UL is going to be even worse next season. Like losing record worse...

Peace
41-38

Reactions: JDHoss
Love for the UL@UK be for a spot in CFP Rankings.. Winner stays alive until conference championship loser is out!

Georgia and LSU destroyed them in bowl games lately, just shows you they wouldn't do very well in the SEC. They had a month to prepare for both us those teams and thought they had the same type of talent but we all knew they didn't. It's funny to hear them say they could do well in the SEC when they are really glad they are not in it.

For clarity, when I said UL will be IN REAL TROUBLE, I meant next year. Or as they'll start calling it ALJ 1. Years ALJ 2-5 will be more than even Petrino will be able to handle and they will be lucky to make bowl games after being relegated to the level of Duke and NC St in the ACC.

Both of their programs are feeling the wrath of the NCAA, not just basketball. Any moral family would never let their 17 year old child attend UL after what they've been found guilty of. They will have to resort to players needed 2nd and 3rd chances to fill their depth charts and will get bit in the ass for it.

All in my completely worthless opinion as always.

On offense lamar jackson will give them a chance in every game.
But they are hurting for RB in a bad way! Could have a suprise coming like snell but i dont see it so far.
There NT brown will be hard to replace along with there Lbs Brown fields kelsey young..
I just dont see a Defense good enough to win a championship. There Dline is very thin which is why i think they ended the season the way they did last year! Not enough depth up front, and couldn't create pressure against UH,and couldn't stop the run or pass against us.
This year it is worse. But so is there schedule.

Dude, OP knows that UofL has no championship caliber team. He's making fun of their fans and their delusions of grandeur.

As evident in this thread, there are UK fans who have some insight into the UofL roster. There are plenty of fans who keep up with programs other than their own, especially when it has to do with your rivals.

Please. UL success is based on the suck ass conferences they have been a part of over the years. UL would have a very mediocre record if they had been a member of a real football conference over an extended period of time. Last year is a perfect example. UL was an overrated fraud throughout the entire year. Then they lost their last three games including getting destroyed by Houston and a LSU team that was middle of the pack in the SEC. Their bowl record is 7-7 during that period including Petrino going 1-2 since returning to UL. Jackson wouldn't have sniffed the Heisman trophy if he played in the SEC.

Ok I am going to bite and respond to you guys.
1. I don't see a UL Champioship but I do 9 or 10 wins including a win in Lexington.
2. You guys have played the Strongs defensive players too long. Most of Strongs players were gone before last season. Petrino has actually had higher ranked classes than most of Strongs.
3. Just wanted to point out that UL had been in the ACC for 3 seasons. During those 3 seasons UL has had about the same ACC record as Clemson and FSU and is near
the top of the standings. The ACC has actually done well against the SEC during these 3 years in head to head play.

4. Yes UL lost their last 3 games but you forget the details. Houston and LSU wee both
preseason top 6 teams and the UL secondary was playing 3rd team guys most of the second half in the UK game. UL should have won anyhow but fumbled it away.
Sometimes things happen but we're still a good team. UL beat The Orange Bowl champ FSU and took national champ Clemson down to the last minute on the road. I see this as a wash but you guys choose to see the loses but not the wins.

5. Saying dumb things like Jackson would not win the Heisman playing in the SEC and he played agibst nobody. Truth is Jackson had 2 of his best games and probably won the Heisman against FSU and Clemson two really good teams. As for winning the Heisman playing in the SEC it would depend upon which team he played for. Remember most SEC teams have better Olines than UL.

6. This will be a big year for the rival game. UL has won 5 of the last 6 against the Cats but UK pulled the upset last year Recruiting glasses have been close to each other depending on the site. UL has actually played better in Lex in the rival games. If UK can win this year they have maybe swung the series back in their direction. If UL wins it means last year was a fluke and UL is still the better program.

7 on schedule. UL plays two top teams in FSU and Clemson as well as uK on the road. you guys are talking g about 8 wins. Seems pretty strong to me. Good enough for sure. At the same time you are overlooking that UK plays the 2 worst teams in the SEC west this year and Mizzou the worst sec team in years plus rebuilding Vandy and SC. FL and Georgia are not as good as FSU and Clemson.

Just saying... Guess we are all full of hopes and dreams in July.

Peace
Ok I've been wanting to ask this. What is your true allegiance. Are you a UL fan? A UK fan?

Ok I've been wanting to ask this. What is your true allegiance. Are you a UL fan? A UK fan?

Both, he claims, and I actually believe him. But he has become a lot more interested in their program since jurich has made a mockery of all sense of ethics in order to just win baby.

Everyone wants to win, but the extremes jurich has gone to to make it happen make it a false victory to me.

ADVERTISEMENT