ADVERTISEMENT

UKs schedule is very favorable the next 9 games

HerrosHeroes

All-American
Aug 16, 2018

We should head to Tuscaloosa 12-2 and back in the top 5.

As far as difficulty, at Arkansas (which is last game of the year) will be the only game we play the rest of the way that will rival v Mich St on neutral floor and at Zags.

Maybe Kansas in Rupp and that game is not until late Jan.

So 2 of our 4 toughest games have already been played in Nov!

Last edited:

Doubt we make it back to the top 5 by then, particularly since we don't play a lot of good teams between now and then, but I do agree it should be pretty favorable to us. If we enter conference play with only 2 losses, we will be in pretty good shape.

Not sure how we'd make it back to the top 5 that soon.
But yes. we probably won't be an underdog until @ Alabama. Even that game we might not be an underdog in. Could be @ UT as the next one.

As far as difficulty, at Arkansas (which is last game of the year) will be the only game we play the rest of the way that will rival v Mich St on neutral floor and at Zags.

So you are saying we have nothing but cup cakes until our next hard game, maybe that is part of our problem, we play teams we can beat by 30 plus but nobody who will test these guys so nothing gets fixed when we play a good team

Translation - Hostess is delivering the cupcakes soon...watch out for Spiders and Purple Aces...those ones is poison. [laughing]

cals-cupcakes.png

Last edited:
So you are saying we have nothing but cup cakes until our next hard game, maybe that is part of our problem, we play teams we can beat by 30 plus but nobody who will test these guys so nothing gets fixed when we play a good team
Can you name a team that doesn't play cupcakes, besides the actual cupcakes? You do understand teams get better playing against lesser competition because it allows them to build repetition and confidence, which ideally carries over to the bigger moments, right? Continuing to play games against the better teams isn't going to magically create a better team.

Good, we need all the help we can get.

Beating up on sh*t teams won't get UK back to the top 5. Nor should it. UK sucks right now, just face facts. And they won't beat UCLA. Or win any SEC road game against a ranked team. Look at Cal's record the last 5-6 years.

• Haha
Reactions: Wyatt Craig
Doubt we make it back to the top 5 by then, particularly since we don't play a lot of good teams between now and then, but I do agree it should be pretty favorable to us. If we enter conference play with only 2 losses, we will be in pretty good shape.
But leave conference play with 7 or 8.

Can you name a team that doesn't play cupcakes, besides the actual cupcakes? You do understand teams get better playing against lesser competition because it allows them to build repetition and confidence, which ideally carries over to the bigger moments, right? Continuing to play games against the better teams isn't going to magically create a better team.
And yet everyone cites how all these good coaches play tough schedules to make their teams tougher. Cal plays weak cupcakes and produces zilch.

But leave conference play with 7 or 8.
Guess we will have to play them and find out. You sure concede quickly.

And yet everyone cites how all these good coaches play tough schedules to make their teams tougher. Cal plays weak cupcakes and produces zilch.
Lol, haven't we already played 2 teams that are ranked in our first 5 games? Seems like a pretty good schedule if you get that 5 games into the season.

Who are these coaches that play all tough schedules though?

Reactions: RogCat1119
If OP changes his "back to the top 5" statement to "back to the top 10", then yeah it's probably a pretty accurate post. Michigan and UCLA aren't locks, but we should win both.

To get to the top 10, we just win these we are supposed to win, with a couple good wins, and wait for other teams to lose games they shouldn't (which EVERY TEAM loses games they shouldn't). But to move up into the top 5, you also have to win a few you aren't favored in.

Reactions: EliteBlue
If OP changes his "back to the top 5" statement to "back to the top 10", then yeah it's probably a pretty accurate post. Michigan and UCLA aren't locks, but we should win both.

To get to the top 10, we just win these we are supposed to win, with a couple good wins, and wait for other teams to lose games they shouldn't (which EVERY TEAM loses games they shouldn't). But to move up into the top 5, you also have to win a few you aren't favored in.

And I think that would be fine if that's what ends up happening.

If we are top 10 by the end of that 9 game stretch, then there's still a possibility of reaching say a 2 or 1 line for the NCAA Tournament IMO which is what the goal should be. Hopefully get into the Louisville region.

As bad as those MSU and Gonzaga games were, there's still time to right the ship here.

And I think that would be fine if that's what ends up happening.

If we are top 10 by the end of that 9 game stretch, then there's still a possibility of reaching say a 2 or 1 line for the NCAA Tournament IMO which is what the goal should be. Hopefully get into the Louisville region.

As bad as those MSU and Gonzaga games were, there's still time to right the ship here.
If we are top 10 at that point, we would still easily be in line for a possible 1 seed. Even the top 1 seed. Our 2 losses aren't to bad teams.

Say we lose two or three games in conference play, we would still be fine as long as they aren't to crappy teams.

We need it lol.

Use this time wisely Cal. Tinker with rotations, figure out the offense, find out who can play and who can't.

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
There is playing lesser teams that are in the 100-150 BPI range, and then there is playing lesser teams in the 300+ range. I haven't really dissected the schedule this year, but in years past it has been the latter which hasn't helped anyone.

Can you name a team that doesn't play cupcakes, besides the actual cupcakes? You do understand teams get better playing against lesser competition because it allows them to build repetition and confidence, which ideally carries over to the bigger moments, right? Continuing to play games against the better teams isn't going to magically create
that's a great formula, you'd never lose to a team like St. Peters in the tournament doing that

There is playing lesser teams that are in the 100-150 BPI range, and then there is playing lesser teams in the 300+ range. I haven't really dissected the schedule this year, but in years past it has been the latter which hasn't helped anyone.
Duquesne and Yale are both in that top 150 range of Kenpom. There's really not a lot of difference in those teams though. Playing them allows guys that are struggling or newer players to build some confidence and find their rhythm. The idea is that carries over as the level of competition increases. It also lets us tinker with lineups a bit and get guys like Thiero and Ugonna some run.

I feel confident saying one of Michigan/UCLA get us if not both. Dickinson is going to wear us out and that will be a very tough game, UCLA on a neutral floor will also be very tough, as we have seen on numerous occasions,
Cal's in game coaching will be a real issue.
I would like to add, we have a really solid well rounded team with shooters, athletes/ bigs etc but the complete lack of any offensive sets, regardless of talent, will be this teams downfall. Hell Davenport at Bellarmine with his offense would win much greater than what Cal will, imo.

If we are top 10 at that point, we would still easily be in line for a possible 1 seed. Even the top 1 seed. Our 2 losses aren't to bad teams.

Say we lose two or three games in conference play, we would still be fine as long as they aren't to crappy teams.

The losses wouldn't be bad but at the same rate we'd have to grab some quality wins along the way.

In terms of like a 1 or 2 seed. I don't really think Michigan moves the needle all that much. UL definitely doesn't. UCLA maybe. Kansas yes. The games vs UT. I mean there's opportunities there still.

Reactions: fatguy87

Nothing you write can be taken seriously.

Please stop starting threads.

I implore you.

We lose 8 games this year minimum.

We‘ve already lost 2. We lose one in each tournament, which makes four. The odds are we lose a minimum of four road games.
This is very true. 8 to 10 losses with a team that was supposed to contend for a national title.

Thanks, Cal!

SOS ... Calipari coached UKMBB. Alligator Mouth and Hummingbird Ass. Everybody's super bowl ... not so much. All time wins leader ... not anymore. Gold Standard for Collegiate Basketball ... ancient history? Why has all this changed? Laughingstock coach who believes he's God's gift to UKMBB and he's not what he wants you to believe. When he took this job, he was handed the keys to a Lamborghini and all he's done to run it into a ditch. He's a clown coach.

I'd say Michigan and UCLA are losses unless they get shit together and Johnny Rich decides to coach and I don't see that happening so odds are that 12-2 mark will be wrong

And had the chance to play in Louisville in the ncaa tournament. Have we pissed that away already?

I definitely do not think we pissed that away yet.
Plus when it comes to regionals people have to understand it depends where you are on each line (and who else is on that line). For example it might be better if we were say the top 2 seed vs say the last 1 seed when it comes to things like that.

Reactions: yoshukai

If I had a gun to my head and had to bet a years salary on sweeping the UCLA and Michigan games…I’d say we drop one. UCLA has had Cals number here for the most part other than the rematch in the Tournament w Fox/Monk/Bam after they got us in the classic.

If I had a gun to my head and had to bet a years salary on sweeping the UCLA and Michigan games…I’d say we drop one. UCLA has had Cals number here for the most part other than the rematch in the Tournament w Fox/Monk/Bam after they got us in the classic.

Yeah I think we probably are favored in both but more than likely drop one of them.

Reactions: G-PIP and EliteBlue
ADVERTISEMENT