ADVERTISEMENT

UK women fill out roster with former Ms Basketball

Kybluedude

All-SEC
Nov 19, 2005
Transfer from Oregon makes it 15 scholarships for UK.

Maddie Scherr was a five-star recruit and McDonald’s All-American in high school. The Florence, KY native led Ryle High School to a state championship her junior season and won Miss Kentucky Basketball her senior year in 2020.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Transfer from Oregon makes it 15 scholarships for UK.

Maddie Scherr was a five-star recruit and McDonald’s All-American in high school. The Florence, KY native led Ryle High School to a state championship her junior season and won Miss Kentucky Basketball her senior year in 2020.
Men have a 13 scholarship limit, what are women's?

Damn what is that 15 scholarship limit? Double reverse Title 9, exactly like Cal’s form of reverse racism? Except Herro but he’s a wangsta.
It’s wrong IMO, but they use every other sport to try and makeup for the football disparity, even though football is the biggest moneymaker.

Well I guess we are going to see what Elzy is made of she has only 5 girls returning from the team last year and she’s going to have 10 new girls. She’s putting her stamp on the team for 22-23!

Why the hell did she go to Oregon? Must have got some Nike cash.
Nah. Kelly Graves, the coach at Oregon. Is a really great guy. He had them rolling. The 4 years prior to her going there, then went Elite Eight, Elite Eight, Final Four and were the favorite to win it all prior to COVID shutting down the season.

Reactions: TM2013
Nah. Kelly Graves, the coach at Oregon. Is a really great guy. He had them rolling. The 4 years prior to her going there, then went Elite Eight, Elite Eight, Final Four and were the favorite to win it all prior to COVID shutting down the season.
Impressed. By chance have you seen Ms Scherr play?

Maddie is an all-around player. Not going to put up huge numbers in any one area. I wouldn’t be surprised if she doesn’t have a season stat line like 12pts 5rbs and 4assts. She’s very solid. In HS I think she only averaged like 16ppg but made her team better in every area.

Congrats on the transfer and filling out your roster with some good players. Wait until the unlimited scholarships goes into effect, the women's team will have 20 scholarships to fill

Congrats on the transfer and filling out your roster with some good players. Wait until the unlimited scholarships goes into effect, the women's team will have 20 scholarships to fill
You’ve put this in a couple threads. You even mentioned about a field hockey team in one thread, which I believe is just sobering they threw out on KSR. I don’t think you’re looking at the no scholarship limit correctly.

Ionescu and Sabally is hard to replace

You’ve put this in a couple threads. You even mentioned about a field hockey team in one thread, which I believe is just sobering they threw out on KSR. I don’t think you’re looking at the no scholarship limit correctly.
For every male scholarship their has to be a female added also. So if football teams are going to start adding extra players the woman’s sports will get extra players and or have to add more sports

For every male scholarship their has to be a female added also. So if football teams are going to start adding extra players the woman’s sports will get extra players and or have to add more sports
That’s not entirely how it works as far as scholarships are concerned with Title IX, but yes, if more scholarships are offered for men, they will probably need to increase them on the women's end.

I highly doubt it results in many more players though. It will result in a sport like softball only being able to offer 12 total scholarships among 25 players to offer every player a full ride, creating 13 new scholarships. In volleyball, they can only offer 12 too, but usually carry about 18 and split some of the scholarships. Now they can give more full rides. Swimming/diving and track and field are the same. A lot of partial scholarship players.

It’s a chance to strengthen the current programs that are good (softball, volleyball, T&F, swimming) without the expense of bringing on new coaches, new players, etc, which adds even more to the overall expense.

I hope she's 7 foot 11.
Seems like all the best women's teams have a dominant post player...
Problem is, unlike males, there are only a handful of girls that size to go around and if they are any good, they are going to one of the elite programs. I wonder how some of those taller Volleyball players would fare? though their seasons would overlap too much for them to play two sports.

Reactions: On-On-UK
The 6’5” recruit from Texas may develop over time. She’s not super athletic and will be a project offensively but she already is decent in defending the post.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I can tell you Howard has had a showing in the WNBA so far 4 games in she was named East Rookie of the week!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT