ADVERTISEMENT

UK will regret losing Askew

With all due respect Mr. Askew, your son was the lead guard on a team that was arguably the worst in program history. We wish you the best and hope you find a school more on your level ala Pepperdine or Pacific.
Ha! Never heard anyone accuse a poster of being a player’s family member. You are original.

Nah. Look at my posts. It’s not about Askew specifically. It’s about culture of freshmen leaving to NBA with little impact at UK-OR-transfer out. If you think that’s healthy for UK then more power to you.

I want to see someone play a 3rd year at UK!

Roger could always shoot and had PG instincts. Askew is slow and has no perceivable basketball skills.
A little overstatement. He has basketball skills however he is not as quick as needed for a point guard.

What a joke! Askew was the worst PG I’ve ever seen at UK. Was still picking his dribble up around mid court at the end of the season. He wasn’t and never would’ve been UK material. He’s just not that good.

Personally, I’m happy the kid left. At least now we don’t have to see Cal trying to get the kid 30+ undeserved minutes. Just not a good fit.

I agree about askew. He was thrown in the fire and cal set him to fail. Expectations were way too high he will be good
If he wants to leave then so be it. He didn't have overwhelming speed and I questioned his decision making. We need a pg that isn't hesitant and one who learns from his mistakes. I was high on him but throughout the whole season he underwhelmed. This team was soft. Talented but weak mentally. They couldn't take a punch in the mouth. He folded and was indecisive to the point where I felt bad for the kid. UK is not for everyone. This past season showed us that talent isn't enuff, you gotta have heart, moxie, and a thick skin. You gotta want to be here. Embrace the scrutiny and grow. The talent evaluators were absolutely wrong on Boston and Askew.
I get that covid happened...but when you get on campus no hand holding. I hope Cal learns that we need men not talented boys.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Fans have ripped Devin to shreds on this board. I understand that loud and emotional pollsters are not synonymous with majority of fanbase. But, I'll go on record now and say this hurts UK. We have craved player development and roster balance with freshmen & upper classman. Askew was our chance to develop (not tap into portal) an experienced PG. The kid was fine NOT being the guy this past year. He, his family (and Cal) thought they had Cunningham sealed and ready. Askew skipped Sr year of high school ... (yes, I know he came up to his original class) ... was one of the youngest players on the team and was thrust into a bad position when Cunningham bailed out.

I don't want to hear people who ripped Askew also rip Cal for not developing players and managing a balanced roster.

Minus Suggs, the elite teams this year had lots of experienced guard play. Askew is the type of player that the Gonzaga's & Baylors of the world (previous Villanova teams, etc...) have as Jrs & Srs that beat people.

Askew struggled this year, but he was supposed to be a multi-year player. And, yes, I blame Cal for putting the kid in the position. We have to change the narrative that a normal freshman/sophomore year is a failure. The kid's game wasn't a failure!

Losing Askew will hurt UK in the long term.
Nope. He is slow and at his age you don’t improve on that. He also had zero quickness which also would not have gotten any better. Top that off with his lack of a shot and terrible defense and you have a player that cannot perform at an elite level like UK fans are used to before Cal screwed things up.

OP is right. Same ones laughing are the same ones that said Juzang wouldn’t matter. Askew might not be end up great next year but we will be wishing we had him back his junior and senior years. Too many here are just too short sighted to see it.

Fans have ripped Devin to shreds on this board. I understand that loud and emotional pollsters are not synonymous with majority of fanbase. But, I'll go on record now and say this hurts UK. We have craved player development and roster balance with freshmen & upper classman. Askew was our chance to develop (not tap into portal) an experienced PG. The kid was fine NOT being the guy this past year. He, his family (and Cal) thought they had Cunningham sealed and ready. Askew skipped Sr year of high school ... (yes, I know he came up to his original class) ... was one of the youngest players on the team and was thrust into a bad position when Cunningham bailed out.

I don't want to hear people who ripped Askew also rip Cal for not developing players and managing a balanced roster.

Minus Suggs, the elite teams this year had lots of experienced guard play. Askew is the type of player that the Gonzaga's & Baylors of the world (previous Villanova teams, etc...) have as Jrs & Srs that beat people.

Askew struggled this year, but he was supposed to be a multi-year player. And, yes, I blame Cal for putting the kid in the position. We have to change the narrative that a normal freshman/sophomore year is a failure. The kid's game wasn't a failure!

Folks who say “NO” are in the shiny new thing camp along with Cal. Had some poster ask me today “Don’t you want the best players?”

Freshmen are rarely the best players although BJ and Clarke came close.

But even if they are, they’ll leave and next years won’t be. Vicious cycle that wil almost always end in disappointment

People was saying Juzang sucked also when he transferred.

Teams have been better when they had a 2 year point guard. i.e. Ulis was so-so as a freshman but outstanding his second year.

Last edited:
Did we regret losing Ryan Harrow?

I didn't think so. We aren't going to regret losing Askew.
Harrow ended up doing very well at the school he transferred to. Broke some records I think. We only didnt regret it because Cal was still getting top guards at the time... not so much anymore.

I don’t think we will regret losing Askew. However, I hope he does well for himself. The transfer rule has radically changed the game. Cal will change his recruiting approach towards keeping the players he wants and going after players who weren’t as highly regarded coming out of high school but developed into good players after playing in college for a few years. Kentucky will always be one of a select few “dream schools” for these kinds improved players.

Reactions: c1doc

Sorry to see the kids go, but from what I saw and he had plenty of minutes, he was not a Cal PG, too slow, not a great shooter, so no I don't think UK will regret it. It comes down to this, he has seen what Cal is recruiting and figures he can't compete so he left. This is just the first time it has been some one who got all the minutes.

^ Maybe so, but I don’t think so. Ware would be more like Green. Green was in boatload of other guards within one year of him. Ware is in same position among big guys. But, I’ll say again, my thoughts are not specifically about Askew. Yes, we’ll get a 1 yr player out of the portal.

But, I hear people talking “get old, and stay old, while sprinkling in some elite freshman.” Our ongoing situation has been, “Get freshmen, freshmen are not elite in college but still go to NBA, freshmen who don’t go to NBA transfer out.” We started adding a couple transfers into the mix, and will add more this year.

Look at Baylor and Gonzaga’s rosters. Yes, Baylor had some transfers, but look at their stats as freshmen and sophomores. Every single player (besides Butler and Suggs) would have been ran out of UK by fans screaming about their lack of ability. Fans ripped Nick and screamed about his hands and lack of effort for 2 years. Then ... boom, he’s top 2-3 player in SEC his 3rd year. The only reason he stayed was because of his girlfriend. Maybe that becomes the new strategy.

Fans want player retention and development. But, they also want to push out a player after one year.

He's leaving because of Cal not me. I don't blame him for leaving. Cal has written the script and he's just following it.

Did we regret losing Ryan Harrow?

I didn't think so. We aren't going to regret losing Askew.
RH was a team cancer and a drama queen who was too weak to stick it out here. Askew worked his ass off and did the very best he could with his current talent level. I really wanted to see him in a couple years and I’m bummed we won’t. We will miss him. He was a tough kid and he had to hear all the noise.

Reactions: bballcat4
Would have liked to see him stay but it was his choice to leave. Of course people will blame cal because he recruited over him. Same fans weren’t patient enough to let him play through mistakes. No pleasing some.

Reactions: JC43
This one year and leave ( for NBA or transfer) is Cals creation, not the stinking fans. Cal created the current culture and now he will be doubling down by adding senior transfers to his 5 star burger boys. Yeah that’s going to really “ change” things at U.K. isn’t it.

We should be frustrated when the Matthews, Juzangs and Fletchers transfer. There are tools and God given gifts to work with.

When the Stacey Pooles, Tai Wynyards and Devin Askews leave? We wish them well. But they are not UK material. Never were and never will be.

Reactions: ArtLaibsGhost
I’m more pissed at askew and his people. Cal gave the kid all the minutes he could handle to the detriment of the program and when faced with the prospect of taking on a reduced role because he’s clearly not ready him and his people bailed.

They basically expected Cal to keep throwing games for him. Whatever power 5 program is dumb enough to gaurantee this kid a starting spot and 30 minutes a game to get his commitment gets what they deserve. Juzang showed signs of potentially having a break out season. Askew is pretty clearly a few seasons away.

Outside of Isiah Jackson and lance Ware the rest of that recruiting class can go kick rocks.

• Love
This one year and leave ( for NBA or transfer) is Cals creation, not the stinking fans. Cal created the current culture and now he will be doubling down by adding senior transfers to his 5 star burger boys. Yeah that’s going to really “ change” things at U.K. isn’t it.
New model for next year. The one and dones will be portal guys augmented by incoming freshmen

Think he's a little different than the other kids...most of the others that transferred Matthews, Baker, Juzang. Would have got more playing time here and started if they stayed.

This kid would have went from starting to the end of the bench. I guess that was too difficult for him to work thru to try to work his way back up. I dunno.

Ryan harrow was good before he got here then couldn't handle it. And I can even remember the name of that kid we got over Syracuse that went to Washington after leaving mid season

You're correct OP! We'll said. You'll not get anywhere though with most of these folk;. they're not smart enough to realize how often they contradict themselves, nor smart enough to follow your coherent argument.

Reactions: bballcat4
RH was a team cancer and a drama queen who was too weak to stick it out here. Askew worked his ass off and did the very best he could with his current talent level. I really wanted to see him in a couple years and I’m bummed we won’t. We will miss him. He was a tough kid and he had to hear all the noise.
You're right about most of those things. I'm also sure he probably worked hard. Unfortunately he showed very little improvement over the course of the season. I can't remember him ever showing any glimpses of talent that would make anyone think he would ever develop into a PG that Kentucky would need to carry a team. His departure was best for both parties.

I didn’t wanna see him leave, but welcome to the new normal. I think he will be a fine player in a couple years, but was likely about to get buried on the bench. Hopefully this means someone is transferring in and not just Skyy Clark reclassifying.
Ditto...

Agreed

We’ve lost 6 players off a 9-16 squad...5 of the 6 freshman off of the #1 Recruiting Class of 2020. We don’t know if the ones still left are actually staying or not. People act like the damn transfer portal is guaranteed to produce the “next big thing” instead of the “next big freshman”. We’re right back where we were at the beginning of this season, and it could be worse!!

Im okay with losing a bunch of guys off the worst team in history. I’ll take my chances with a new bunch of transfers.

Reactions: deep3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT