ADVERTISEMENT

UK will regret losing Askew

Fans have ripped Devin to shreds on this board. I understand that loud and emotional pollsters are not synonymous with majority of fanbase. But, I'll go on record now and say this hurts UK. We have craved player development and roster balance with freshmen & upper classman. Askew was our chance to develop (not tap into portal) an experienced PG. The kid was fine NOT being the guy this past year. He, his family (and Cal) thought they had Cunningham sealed and ready. Askew skipped Sr year of high school ... (yes, I know he came up to his original class) ... was one of the youngest players on the team and was thrust into a bad position when Cunningham bailed out.

I don't want to hear people who ripped Askew also rip Cal for not developing players and managing a balanced roster.

Minus Suggs, the elite teams this year had lots of experienced guard play. Askew is the type of player that the Gonzaga's & Baylors of the world (previous Villanova teams, etc...) have as Jrs & Srs that beat people.

Askew struggled this year, but he was supposed to be a multi-year player. And, yes, I blame Cal for putting the kid in the position. We have to change the narrative that a normal freshman/sophomore year is a failure. The kid's game wasn't a failure!

Losing Askew will hurt UK in the long term.
No amount of development was going to make him fast enough to compete on the D-1 level in the SEC. Physically he is a plodder. That won't change. He might get a bit craftier with body position and learning how to control defenders, but his particular limitations can't be trained away.

Seems like a good kid. Competitive. Hustles. But he's showing up to the Le Mans with a Taurus.

Really hope he finds a good fit for himself. This last year was a bitter dose of reality for him.

There should be accountability for this recruiting class. The absolute PITS in player evaluation and development.
Cal was desperate. He whiffed on the jewels of the class and then scrambled to find someone with enough stars next to his name to satisfy the fanbase. He needs to start putting more effort into evaluating players lower in the rankings. The best coaches can see what players will be capable of in the future and know how to get it out of them.

Askew will be fine in another 2-3 years. That's too long especially when fine is the end result.

Cal is justifiably feeling the heat. Sounds like he's striking the transfer market while the iron is hot.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Askew couldn’t dribble against pressure. Weakest link on the team. Wasn’t put in a great situation to start off by Cal but the kid doesn’t have the talent we need him to have at PG and he wasn’t going to get that by his senior year either. Best for the both worlds.
I seem to recall stories about Roger Harden constantly getting his pocket picked in practice by Beal and Minnifled yet he went on to become they guy I wanted to have the ball in crunch FT time his senior year.

A highly rated guy who played a bunch was never going to sit. And he was more than a year away from possibly starting for a contending level team. Pretty much unavoidable. Juzang was avoidable.
The only thing we could have done to avoid the Juzang situation was never sign him in the 1st place. He played good minutes last year for a pretty good team as a frosh with his minutes going up toward the end of the year and obviously was going to be a big part of what we did this year. He wanted to go home.

We’ve lost 6 players off a 9-16 squad...5 of the 6 freshman off of the #1 Recruiting Class of 2020. We don’t know if the ones still left are actually staying or not. People act like the damn transfer portal is guaranteed to produce the “next big thing” instead of the “next big freshman”. We’re right back where we were at the beginning of this season, and it could be worse!!

Fans have ripped Devin to shreds on this board. I understand that loud and emotional pollsters are not synonymous with majority of fanbase. But, I'll go on record now and say this hurts UK. We have craved player development and roster balance with freshmen & upper classman. Askew was our chance to develop (not tap into portal) an experienced PG. The kid was fine NOT being the guy this past year. He, his family (and Cal) thought they had Cunningham sealed and ready. Askew skipped Sr year of high school ... (yes, I know he came up to his original class) ... was one of the youngest players on the team and was thrust into a bad position when Cunningham bailed out.

I don't want to hear people who ripped Askew also rip Cal for not developing players and managing a balanced roster.

Minus Suggs, the elite teams this year had lots of experienced guard play. Askew is the type of player that the Gonzaga's & Baylors of the world (previous Villanova teams, etc...) have as Jrs & Srs that beat people.

Askew struggled this year, but he was supposed to be a multi-year player. And, yes, I blame Cal for putting the kid in the position. We have to change the narrative that a normal freshman/sophomore year is a failure. The kid's game wasn't a failure!

Blame Cal for playing a kid? Are you kidding me? How does a kid get better if he doesn’t play. I bet Devin never wanted to come off the floor. No player wants to sit on the bench. What a stupid post. You’re a total idiot for blaming Cal for playing him. Geez!

@Bungalow Bill - I agree about next year. We'll get someone from the portal. I'd much rather have Askew his jr year than having to tap into "free agency portal" every year.

My top issue is how it hurts recruiting. You better believe sophomores leaving gets used against UK in recruititing! Narrative must change about staying at UK for 3-4 years for us to get out of this cycle. I would feel differently if we were getting top 2-3 players each year. But, mediocre recruits leaving for NBA with little impact in college combined with non-NBA draft players leaving to other schools is a BAD combination!
I understand what you are saying but Clarke and Boston were projected to be top level talents that would play a year and be top 10 draft choices. I thought they were that good too so Cal wasn't the only one fooled. Those are the kind of guys that need to stay if they don't live up the hype but they hardly ever do here. I don't blame Cal for that. I might be wrong but Grady looks like a better player now than anybody since Herro we've had at the combo guard position. Hickman and a transfer will be better than Askew would have been next year. As far as Askew as a junior or senior I doubt he would have stuck around if he saw diminished playing time next year and that seems like a given with Grady, possibly Mintz and any other guards we add.

Regret not have ng a point guard that could not guard or did I've to the basket?

Did we regret losing Ryan Harrow?

I didn't think so. We aren't going to regret losing Askew.
Horrible comparison...We had the Harrison Twins coming in as Freshman, and a Senior in Jarrod Polson who played almost 10 minutes a game his Senior Year. Next year we’ve got another Freshman in Hickman and a Grad Transfer in Grady, and “possibly” a returning Mintz.

First of all, is criticizing a player's performance and skill set now akin to ripping him to shreds? Askew didn't play well this year. That's a cold hard fact validated by the stats and the eye test. I think he has a chance to develop into a middling D1 guard, but I'll be shocked if he turns into a player that sniffs the NBA.

And yes, I do regret Juzang leaving because I believed he had more upside. With Devin, it's probably the best for him and UK that he moves on.

Did you watch him play? The quickness & shot was not there - he ain’t getting guicker and his jumper needs rebuilt

Reactions: ukfan041
Probably your arse holes will begrudging Cal in a couple of years for losing Askew. When its most likely the stupid fans that caused him to leave.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Blame Cal for playing a kid? Are you kidding me? How does a kid get better if he doesn’t play. I bet Devin never wanted to come off the floor. No player wants to sit on the bench. What a stupid post. You’re a total idiot for blaming Cal for playing him. Geez!

Easy there Cowboy. You read the “blame Cal” quote out of context. You can look at all my posts to see where I’m at on your comments.

Askew signed with UK expecting CC to also sign. That’s well documented. His dad is on record saying backing up CC was the plan instead of playing senior year of hs.

I agree with you that any player worth being on the team should desire to play, and balance that out with being a team player.

CC left Cal at the altar (I’m sure there was some $ changing hands at OSU getting funneled through his brother, that unfortunately, makes it legal.

Cal was left ONLY with a reclassified freshman to run the team. That’s on Cal. You can see many posts where I think Cal will get UK back where we want to be.

I think the fan bashing of Askew had as much to do with him leaving as current recruiting. This is part that needs changed! Staying at UK 3-4 yrs should not be viewed as a failure by fans!

I think everyone (including Askew) knew Cal was going into spring looking for a sr pg in the portal. Cal cannot risk going into next year with Askew (yr 2) Hickman (yr1) and Mintz (not a true

I’d rather have Askew in his 3rd year than be grasping for straws again 2 yrs from now hoping to find an experienced guard to balance out our roster.

We’re at a point where a player stays here 3 yrs and you’re a failure. Player goes to smaller program and has solid, but not ready for NBA career after 3 years, and is viewed as the missing key player if he transfers to UK.

He’d be viewed as hero if he was transferring in instead of out. Everyone would talk about his hs pedigree and how he was misused by last coach.

I want to see ONE player stay at UK and develop over 3-4 years! Nick did it and almost became SEC player of year last year! How many people wanted to run him off his first two years????? A lot! We need more Nick Richards.

Did you watch him play? The quickness & shot was not there - he ain’t getting guicker and his jumper needs rebuilt

You know how many people said same thing about Nick Richards after his freshman AND sophomore years???

If you look at my posts you’ll see that my concern is more about player retention and roster development than it is about Askew specifically.

He was supposed to be the multi-year player.

We will see want we.

You may be right. (I acknowledge 100% that I’m guessing about what they thought Cal would do.)

I think everyone and their mother knew Cal was going to target a pg in the portal. I think Askew knew this when he said he was returning.

I would have loved to keep Askew as a backup. I think a year or two and he can be good. Best of luck to him.

He's not good enough and didn't show any signs he ever will be. And he plays far and away the most important position for us.

Not a knock on him personally, I wish him well.

I think he's going to be a good college player in the long run, but "regret", Im not sure that's gonna be true. Kentucky is still going to have a good prospect pool to draw from. Would have been nice to see him stay here and develop, but I don't think an Askew type player is going to hurt a UK or a Duke as much as it would hurt lesser programs.
I think Askew saw the handwriting on the wall and knew that his playing time was going to diminish going forward. Cal is trying to find a pg as I type this post. Askew could develop, but it would take too muchtime and he was not obviously willing to give that amount of time to develop at UK. Wish him well and let’s get the Carr player from Minnesota

Last edited:
Reactions: crawfords corner
I seem to recall stories about Roger Harden constantly getting his pocket picked in practice by Beal and Minnifled yet he went on to become they guy I wanted to have the ball in crunch FT time his senior year.
Roger could always shoot and had PG instincts. Askew is slow and has no perceivable basketball skills.

Reactions: slushpump
This is exactly the reason that Powell should have been offered
Powell was head & shoulders above Askew, yet Cal ignores him not once, but twice.
Powell is a basketball player, plain & simple. He can pass, shoot & understands the game, things that have been missing for several years.....things Askew could not do
Maybe Cal would have offered Powell if Askew had made his intentions known earlier

With all due respect Mr. Askew, your son was the lead guard on a team that was arguably the worst in program history. We wish you the best and hope you find a school more on your level ala Pepperdine or Pacific.

ADVERTISEMENT