ADVERTISEMENT

UK will regret losing Askew

bottom line is no one has any insight as to what kind of player Askew will be in a couple of years.

All we know is that he won't be at Kentucky and if past history holds true, we'll still have an empty scholarship that could have been his.

I personally believe that Askew will be a very serviceable PG for whoever he plays for in 2 years, and maybe he'd be a backup PG his Jr and Sr year if he stayed here or maybe he'd be the guy that starts and we actually go undefeated in our OOC conference games because we have an experienced player that understands what needs to be done in a game and can explain it to the new guys.

as I said, either way now - he isn't helping UK at all.

I also believe that he was 100% committed to returning to UK, and then 2 - 3 days afterwards, he realized, either thru Cal or assistant telling him or just reading the news that UK was going to do everything they could to replace him next year. You can't blame the kid for coming in here believing he'd be a backup, get thrown into the fire and show up every game doing everything he is capable of doing then see that as one of the few guys actually excited about returning, gets relegated to the Calipari trash heap of replaceable players.

Boston says hello.
I agree with this 100%. BJB cost UK a ton of games from the SG and SF positions, I didn't think that was possible, but that's exactly what he did.
He didn't care if we won or lost, he just kept chucking up shots he knew he wasn't going to hit.

Can’t teach speed. Askew does not have speed
He doesn't have athleticism or length either.

He would have been a poor mans Conor Gillispie (Villinova) maybe by his senior year, which is the direct opposite of what Cal wants at the pg spot.
I don't understand how he evaluated him and thought he was a good fit here. He actually thought he was a good enough fit to reclass and come in and run the team for 23 games.
Mind boggling.

He doesn't have athleyesism or length either.

He would have been a poor mans Conor Gillispie (Villinova) maybe by his senior year, which is the direct opposite of what Cal wants at the pg spot.
I don't understand how he evaluated him and thought he was a good fit here. He actually thought he was a good enough fit to reclass and come in and run the team for 23 games.
Mind boggling.
its a valid point but Cal's evaluation failure didn't start or end with Askew, not by a long shot.

Judging by how badly UK missed on recruiting evaluation this year, I think Cal just read some blog a guy runs and offered schollys based on that.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Easy there Cowboy. You read the “blame Cal” quote out of context. You can look at all my posts to see where I’m at on your comments.

Askew signed with UK expecting CC to also sign. That’s well documented. His dad is on record saying backing up CC was the plan instead of playing senior year of hs.

I agree with you that any player worth being on the team should desire to play, and balance that out with being a team player.

CC left Cal at the altar (I’m sure there was some $ changing hands at OSU getting funneled through his brother, that unfortunately, makes it legal.

Cal was left ONLY with a reclassified freshman to run the team. That’s on Cal. You can see many posts where I think Cal will get UK back where we want to be.

I think the fan bashing of Askew had as much to do with him leaving as current recruiting. This is part that needs changed! Staying at UK 3-4 yrs should not be viewed as a failure by fans!

I think everyone (including Askew) knew Cal was going into spring looking for a sr pg in the portal. Cal cannot risk going into next year with Askew (yr 2) Hickman (yr1) and Mintz (not a true

I’d rather have Askew in his 3rd year than be grasping for straws again 2 yrs from now hoping to find an experienced guard to balance out our roster.

We’re at a point where a player stays here 3 yrs and you’re a failure. Player goes to smaller program and has solid, but not ready for NBA career after 3 years, and is viewed as the missing key player if he transfers to UK.

He’d be viewed as hero if he was transferring in instead of out. Everyone would talk about his hs pedigree and how he was misused by last coach.

I want to see ONE player stay at UK and develop over 3-4 years! Nick did it and almost became SEC player of year last year! How many people wanted to run him off his first two years????? A lot! We need more Nick Richards.
If Cal truly thought CC was actually going to turn his back on his brother and come to UK, he's not very smart. Everyone and their grandmother knew CC was going to OKST.

Oh it's been bad since the 2016 class.
I think an emphasis on believing you can collect athletes and beat experience has officially jumped the shark with this program, and no way covid-19 can be blamed to the extent it would have made a difference.

Nice practice player-other than hustle and effort what does he bring to a team? I like the kid but he can’t pass, shoot, drive or defend. With all the minutes he had, should’ve gotten better from beginning to end but didn’t. As the competition got better, his weaknesses stood out even more. Wish him good luck but we won’t miss him.

I think an emphasis on believing you can collect athletes and beat experience has officially jumped the shark with this program, and no way covid-19 can be blamed to the extent it would have made a difference.
As we saw in 2010 and 2015, experience beats talent.

When I look at the teams in the final four the last few years, it has become glaringly obvious that freshman dominated teams will never win a title in the modern era. Junior and senior dominated teams just keep coming at you and they don't panic. They have been through it too many times and they know how to win.

If you can get Anthony Davis or John Wall, that's different, but you better have experienced players to go with them.

My opinion is, Cal knows he's not winning titles with this system, but he made it to a couple elite 8's and thought that would be good enough to keep the torches and pitch forks away, but then 20/21 happened. Now he has to back the bus up and it's a long way back.

Oh it's been bad since the 2016 class.
I don’t think it’s an evaluation failure. I think it’s more a matter of Cal being forced to scramble every season after he overestimated his chances with his plans a & b or his ability to “reload” when 75% or more of his rotation bails every year because they know this isn’t a good place to be for more than a year or two with the way he runs the program.

I don’t think it’s an evaluation failure. I think it’s more a matter of Cal being forced to scramble every season after he overestimated his chances with his plans a & b or his ability to “reload” when 75% or more of his rotation bails every year because they know this isn’t a good place to be for more than a year or two with the way he runs the program.
It just boggles my mind that he would allow that to happen more than once.
He seems to constantly be scrambling to plug holes and go to his 2nd, 3rd and 4th recruiting options.
I mean, Askew was pretty awful and had none of the things Cal looks for in a point guard, but he struck out on all his other options and he failed to get Hagans back, so he had a high school junior reclass and started him for 23 of our 25 games, then blamed the fans and covid.

I never thought I would see this kind of stuff happen at UK. He has turned this program into a joke. Billy wasn’t even this bad.

Why would you regret losing him ? You think he is going to turn into some kind of superstar of something ? Well myself, I do not see any kind of superstar anywhere within him.
The point is, we are not moving towards a program that keeps and develops players.
The thing you guys have been screaming for....

But losing another freshman’s, meh. He won’t help NEXT year, meh

BECAUSE, he a player that needs to stay and develop.
The hypocrisy is pathetic

Reactions: bballcat4
Fans have ripped Devin to shreds on this board. I understand that loud and emotional pollsters are not synonymous with majority of fanbase. But, I'll go on record now and say this hurts UK. We have craved player development and roster balance with freshmen & upper classman. Askew was our chance to develop (not tap into portal) an experienced PG. The kid was fine NOT being the guy this past year. He, his family (and Cal) thought they had Cunningham sealed and ready. Askew skipped Sr year of high school ... (yes, I know he came up to his original class) ... was one of the youngest players on the team and was thrust into a bad position when Cunningham bailed out.

I don't want to hear people who ripped Askew also rip Cal for not developing players and managing a balanced roster.

Minus Suggs, the elite teams this year had lots of experienced guard play. Askew is the type of player that the Gonzaga's & Baylors of the world (previous Villanova teams, etc...) have as Jrs & Srs that beat people.

Askew struggled this year, but he was supposed to be a multi-year player. And, yes, I blame Cal for putting the kid in the position. We have to change the narrative that a normal freshman/sophomore year is a failure. The kid's game wasn't a failure!

Losing Askew will hurt UK in the long term.
dream on he has little talent and couldn't penetrate and wasn't quick. He didn't shoot well either he is a dime a dozen.

ADVERTISEMENT