ADVERTISEMENT

UK will regret losing Askew

bballcat4

Junior
Jan 12, 2008
Fans have ripped Devin to shreds on this board. I understand that loud and emotional pollsters are not synonymous with majority of fanbase. But, I'll go on record now and say this hurts UK. We have craved player development and roster balance with freshmen & upper classman. Askew was our chance to develop (not tap into portal) an experienced PG. The kid was fine NOT being the guy this past year. He, his family (and Cal) thought they had Cunningham sealed and ready. Askew skipped Sr year of high school ... (yes, I know he came up to his original class) ... was one of the youngest players on the team and was thrust into a bad position when Cunningham bailed out.

I don't want to hear people who ripped Askew also rip Cal for not developing players and managing a balanced roster.

Minus Suggs, the elite teams this year had lots of experienced guard play. Askew is the type of player that the Gonzaga's & Baylors of the world (previous Villanova teams, etc...) have as Jrs & Srs that beat people.

Askew struggled this year, but he was supposed to be a multi-year player. And, yes, I blame Cal for putting the kid in the position. We have to change the narrative that a normal freshman/sophomore year is a failure. The kid's game wasn't a failure!

Losing Askew will hurt UK in the long term.

Transferring is the new norm. I like Askew but it's not going to hurt us IMO next year and that's really all I am thinking about. We thought the OAD made roster turnover a problem. Transferring is going make it tough for everybody, we'll get our share of transfer guards, they'll be more mature and ready to play than most freshmen we've been getting.

I didn’t wanna see him leave, but welcome to the new normal. I think he will be a fine player in a couple years, but was likely about to get buried on the bench. Hopefully this means someone is transferring in and not just Skyy Clark reclassifying.

I think he's going to be a good college player in the long run, but "regret", Im not sure that's gonna be true. Kentucky is still going to have a good prospect pool to draw from. Would have been nice to see him stay here and develop, but I don't think an Askew type player is going to hurt a UK or a Duke as much as it would hurt lesser programs.

Reactions: ukfan041
Fans have ripped Devin to shreds on this board. I understand that loud and emotional pollsters are not synonymous with majority of fanbase. But, I'll go on record now and say this hurts UK. We have craved player development and roster balance with freshmen & upper classman. Askew was our chance to develop (not tap into portal) an experienced PG. The kid was fine NOT being the guy this past year. He, his family (and Cal) thought they had Cunningham sealed and ready. Askew skipped Sr year of high school ... (yes, I know he came up to his original class) ... was one of the youngest players on the team and was thrust into a bad position when Cunningham bailed out.

I don't want to hear people who ripped Askew also rip Cal for not developing players and managing a balanced roster.

Minus Suggs, the elite teams this year had lots of experienced guard play. Askew is the type of player that the Gonzaga's & Baylors of the world (previous Villanova teams, etc...) have as Jrs & Srs that beat people.

Askew struggled this year, but he was supposed to be a multi-year player. And, yes, I blame Cal for putting the kid in the position. We have to change the narrative that a normal freshman/sophomore year is a failure. The kid's game wasn't a failure!

Askew may go somewhere else and be a star but I believe Cal will get an upgrade through the transfer portal.

I probably won't regret losing Askew specifically. However, I am SO tired of NBA defections and transfers. I'm just over it, period. To me, it's not about losing one individual player, like Askew. It's about the entire fiasco of losing everyone...all the time.

Two different people and players.

Might as well add Juzang’s name and ask if we regret losing him.
Then what are you going to do to get Askew to stay? Pretty obvious he saw his PT going down. What are you gonna do, not recruit over him to make him happy?

Reactions: westerncat
Did we regret losing Ryan Harrow?

I didn't think so. We aren't going to regret losing Askew.
Apples and oranges. Harrow was mentally weak, plus he left us for his 3rd school.

Keeping Askew was not about him becoming All SEC next year. Askew staying was about UK moving in direction of balancing roster. Him staying was about every freshman not having to go NBA OR transfer.

This cycle has to stop for UK build any sense of stability. His departure hurts the program and perpetuates everything people want to see changed with the program.

Askew couldn’t dribble against pressure. Weakest link on the team. Wasn’t put in a great situation to start off by Cal but the kid doesn’t have the talent we need him to have at PG and he wasn’t going to get that by his senior year either. Best for the both worlds.

A big part of the kids failure is on Cal from giving him the reigns when everyone could see Mintz was your better option.

Had Askew been allowed to be the backup and play spot minutes at the 1 or mainly off ball, while the bulk of backcourt minutes went to Mintz, Boston, TC, Allen. Then he would still be on the roster and fans would probably had been hopeful to see what he had and developed into in the coming years.

Cal kept tossing him out of the nest hoping he’d fly, but eventually he let him hit the ground and then moved on the the next baby bird.

A big part of the kids failure is on Cal from giving him the reigns when everyone could see Mintz was your better option.

Had Askew been allowed to be the backup and play spot minutes at the 1 or mainly off ball, while the bulk of backcourt minutes went to Mintz, Boston, TC, Allen. Then he would still be on the roster and fans would probably had been hopeful to see what he had and developed into in the coming years.

Cal kept tossing him out of the nest hoping he’d fly, but eventually he let him hit the ground and then moved on the the next baby bird.
The kid didn’t come to be backup. This is why he is leaving. He wouldn’t have wanted spot minutes. Probably would have transferred mid year if his minutes were that low.

Apples and oranges. Harrow was mentally weak, plus he left us for his 3rd school.

Keeping Askew was not about him becoming All SEC next year. Askew staying was about UK moving in direction of balancing roster. Him staying was about every freshman not having to go NBA OR transfer.

This cycle has to stop for UK build any sense of stability. His departure hurts the program and perpetuates everything people want to see changed with the program.
I don't disagree with you about wanting to change the culture around the team. But I don't think Askew was ever going to be playing at a level we needed him at. Askew was the worst player I've ever seen play under Cal at UK...By a long shot.

Alwasy felt for the kids and said so on here. Also said I thought with time he would be a good player for us, just needed to learn how to adjust to the speed, intensity of the game and gain confidence. He is clearly a good kid who played hard. But I think its best to get a fresh start somewhere, mainly for HIM.

Reactions: Whoppercat

Quade green did we regret?

The kid didn’t come to be backup. This is why he is leaving. He wouldn’t have wanted spot minutes. Probably would have transferred mid year if his minutes were that low.
Not entirely accurate. Yes, now he doesn’t want to take a step back. But during his recruitment there are multiple quotes saying he’s ready to come off the bench and take time to develop, “I’m not like other WC kids” and whatever the team needs.....

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
Transferring is the new norm. I like Askew but it's not going to hurt us IMO next year and that's really all I am thinking about.
@Bungalow Bill - I agree about next year. We'll get someone from the portal. I'd much rather have Askew his jr year than having to tap into "free agency portal" every year.

My top issue is how it hurts recruiting. You better believe sophomores leaving gets used against UK in recruititing! Narrative must change about staying at UK for 3-4 years for us to get out of this cycle. I would feel differently if we were getting top 2-3 players each year. But, mediocre recruits leaving for NBA with little impact in college combined with non-NBA draft players leaving to other schools is a BAD combination!

Not entirely accurate. Yes, now he doesn’t want to take a step back. But during his recruitment there are multiple quotes saying he’s ready to come off the bench and take time to develop, “I’m not like other WC kids” and whatever the team needs.....
He also said he wasn’t the type to transfer and came out and said he wasn’t scared of it all. Now he’s leaving. He’s different were his words. But that is just kid talk. He is young and probably made the best choice to transfer. But he put his foot in his mouth a lot with what he said. You can have confidence but you better back it up.

Reactions: hamidousvertical
Askew couldn’t dribble against pressure. Weakest link on the team. Wasn’t put in a great situation to start off by Cal but the kid doesn’t have the talent we need him to have at PG and he wasn’t going to get that by his senior year either. Best for the both worlds.
I am still trying to figure out how Cal and his staff thought he was ready to run the team last year.

I love the kid’s hustle but my goodness. Terrible passer , below average shooter, no PG instincts and was not very solid on defense.
Other than that.. he was fine 😳

Hope the kid the best where ever he decides to go but this tells me that Cal has got some great PG coming in from the transfer portal.

The kid DID come to be a backup for one year. His dad is on record per insider podcasts they wanted Devin to leave hs early and backup Cade rather than stay in hs.

Per @EliteBlue question about Mintz. I agree 110% that Mintz should have been pg from the beginning. I don't know if shooting guard was part of the agreement with Mintz when they brought him in. Again ... I agree with you.

And the team needed him to get less minutes next year and develop and he didn't want to do that evidently. This one isn't on Cal.

Quade green did we regret?

Fair question. Here's where I stand on Green & Askew. Green was in his So year. He came in with a loaded guard class and we brought in some other very good guards. (I would feel same way about Ware as Green. The cupboard is currently more than full with big men.)

My biggest issue is that UK needs to get out of cycle of players leaving for NBA or transferring. Askew was fine with this when he arrived at UK.

A highly rated guy who played a bunch was never going to sit. And he was more than a year away from possibly starting for a contending level team. Pretty much unavoidable. Juzang was avoidable.

Fans speak with forked tongue/want multi year players, hate OAD but crucify them if they don't meet their standards. A 3 or 4 year Askew is the type of player we see in the NCAA tourney for most teams. Freshmen OAD are the exception rather than the standard, sure there are a few but very limited most years.

Fair question. Here's where I stand on Green & Askew. Green was in his So year. He came in with a loaded guard class and we brought in some other very good guards. (I would feel same way about Ware as Green. The cupboard is currently more than full with big men.)

My biggest issue is that UK needs to get out of cycle of players leaving for NBA or transferring. Askew was fine with this when he arrived at UK.
I agree with getting out of the cycle for sure.

Hope the guy does well , but he was the worse PG I think I have ever seen at Ky could not shoot, always making turnovers.

Why would you regret losing him ? You think he is going to turn into some kind of superstar of something ? Well myself, I do not see any kind of superstar anywhere within him.
Pull the freshmen stats on all the juniors and seniors you see on the floor tonight and tell me how they looked their freshman year.

I doubt Askew ever becomes a superstar/All American type player. I would NOT be surprised if he's an All-Conf player his last couple years. My bigger issue is all the talk about wanting to change narrative for UK recruiting that freshmen must declare for NBA or transfer. This is already biting us in a**.

This is exactly the reason that Powell should have been offered
Powell was head & shoulders above Askew, yet Cal ignores him not once, but twice.
Powell is a basketball player, plain & simple. He can pass, shoot & understands the game, things that have been missing for several years.....things Askew could not do

Reactions: ukgrad2004
devin has potential but something was missing this year... not sure if its worth giving him a hard time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT