ADVERTISEMENT

UK - Wake Forest. 1993 NCAA. "A withering display of basketball talent."

I was there for both the games that weekend...fun times! Absolute beat downs.
I was too, It worked out that my sister was in a cheerleading competition in South Carolina that same weekend, So my dad found us all tickets. During the Wake Forest game we were right next to WF section and there was a little girl hollering "miss it, Miss it" every time we shot. She kept on and on for the first 10 minutes of the game, then finally some UK fan yells "will you shut up over there" and both sections died laughing. Btw, we should have been playing WKU instead of FSU, Western got screwed at the end of their game.

Reactions: *CatinIL*
Loved that game! It is a thing of beauty.

In the Michigan game, 3 of our 5 starters were out of the game when it ended (Prickett and Mash fouled out and Brown to injury). Michigan was 0-4 from 3 in that game. Drove to the basket and fed it inside all game.

I was too, It worked out that my sister was in a cheerleading competition in South Carolina that same weekend, So my dad found us all tickets. During the Wake Forest game we were right next to WF section and there was a little girl hollering "miss it, Miss it" every time we shot. She kept on and on for the first 10 minutes of the game, then finally some UK fan yells "will you shut up over there" and both sections died laughing. Btw, we should have been playing WKU instead of FSU, Western got screwed at the end of their game.
Forgive me if I got this wrong, but after the first game (against FSU?) the opposing fans were walking around the arena holding up their tickets for sale AT HALFTIME! It's all a blur now but those were some fun times!

Remember that game, and that team well. Being a UK fan has so many good moments for us to recall; much more than the bad ones.

Oh that was fun to watch. I was 10 years old at the time. And just starting to really grow as a UK basketball fan. Pitino was my favorite coach ever and I loved me some Travis Ford and Jamal Mashburn. Loved when we played on Sundays and I would go to my grandmothers house for lunch and to watch the game. She was a HUGE UK fan and probably the biggest reason I bleed blue. Miss those days. A great deal. *sigh*

Absolute destruction! I was a freshman in HS and remember watching this with my dad. Those early 90 UK team were so good!

That was such a fun team to watch. I miss that era of college basketball so badly. Could you imagine a guy like Mash staying through his junior season these days? The game sure has changed dramatically since those days.

Reactions: ruppcat
That was such a fun team to watch. I miss that era of college basketball so badly. Could you imagine a guy like Mash staying through his junior season these days? The game sure has changed dramatically since those days.
That's what I miss the most about those teams. Tuesdays and Saturdays used to be so much fun as we watched these young men grow up playing a game we all love for a team we love....wishing it could be us out there.

The pressing defense is what made them great. Teams were lucky to get the ball past mid court.

My biggest Cal complaint is that with so many great players he doesnt press teams.

Still feel a twinge of guilt for the fun I had at the expense of the 2 Wake Forest fans who had the misfortune to sit in front of us at that game in Charlotte as we started the game with that incredible run. They couldn’t even respond to the (good-natured) taunting... just had to sit there and take it.

ADVERTISEMENT