ADVERTISEMENT

UK - Wake Forest. 1993 NCAA. "A withering display of basketball talent."

ah, yes.... couldn't see the Forest for the Threes, IIRC
Mash was a beast. We win a natty that year had he not fouled out against Michigan. The fab 5 could not stop him. That UNC Michigan game was the only time I have ever pulled fir UNC.

Reactions: Rockford
It was nice blowing out both Wake and Florida State in the regional semis and finals. We bought Final Four tickets after the second round that would have been completely worthless had we not made it.
It was also fun taunting the ahole Michigan fans in front of us when Webber called the TO in the championship game.

I was at that game. It was one the funnest games I ever attended. Wake Forest had Rodney Rogers. I thought he was the 2nd best forward in college basketball that year. It didn't matter.

Man, that '93 team was something else. The best Pitino coached UK team, outside of the '96 Cats. I'll never forget Jalen Rose running over TD while bringing the ball up court on the last possession of regulation against Michigan. Refs swallowed their whistle and we went to OT. We beat Duke in '92 and Michigan in '93 if Mash doesn't foul out of both games. Absolutely no doubt in my mind.

Edit: The ass whipping we handed Wake Forest is one of the most impressive tournament games in UK history. Top ten easily. That was a good Wake team that we flat out manhandled.

Probably one of the most"what the hell am I watching" games ever, although we had more than our share of those during that 92 thru 98 time span. Mash was just amazing,Rodney Dent is a forgotten man in UK history,wish we had gotten to see more of him.

Reactions: ukfan041
One of the most fun UK games of all time. I used to watch that sequence over and over back in the VCR days. Mashburn and Ford absolutely destroyed Rodney Roger's and Randolph Childress.

That building was shaking at half time because of the UK fans chanting on the concourse. One of favorite live games ever.

And it was one of the few times I've seen a team give up in the first half. You could see it on their faces.

That 93 run, from the SEC Tourney until the disappointment of the Michigan game, was the greatest example of how far ahead Pitino was strategically at that time. In 8 games in the SEC and NCAA Tournaments that year, UK outscored opponents by 165 points from the 3 point line. That's 55 more made 3's in an 8 game stretch, which is just staggering.

Unfortunately, a combination of running into the wrong opponent (an inspired Michigan team that just had too much size and athleticism for UK), and some bad luck (Dale Brown, playing the best game of his life, going out with an injury with about 5 minutes left in regulation) ended that season, but the 7 games before that were magical.

My favorite UK YT clip, never get tired of watching it. Living in Texas at the time, game wasn't shown down there, only later did I get to witness this marvelous display of Awesomeness!

The banter and astonishment of both Stockton and McQuire is just too fun to listen to.

Last edited:
That 93 run, from the SEC Tourney until the disappointment of the Michigan game, was the greatest example of how far ahead Pitino was strategically at that time. In 8 games in the SEC and NCAA Tournaments that year, UK outscored opponents by 165 points from the 3 point line. That's 55 more made 3's in an 8 game stretch, which is just staggering.

Unfortunately, a combination of running into the wrong opponent (an inspired Michigan team that just had too much size and athleticism for UK), and some bad luck (Dale Brown, playing the best game of his life, going out with an injury with about 5 minutes left in regulation) ended that season, but the 7 games before that were magical.
Yeah Ford was overwhelmed in that game but kept it respectable. Was a great run though,so much fun.

Reactions: ukfan041
If we assume it was the refs’ job to hand the game to Michigan, that was the best officiated game I’ve ever seen.

Crazy good memories until the final four game.

I was at a party, and after the loss I just grabbed a beer and left. I walked 3 miles to my house and kept drinking until 7:00 the next morning just listening to music.

Reactions: crpoore
I set in end zone front row for that regional... After destroying Roger's and Wake Forest in semi they demolished an Cassell led Florida State team... Ford was incredible and you would have thought Prickett was the next Larry Bird... With that regional effort against great ACC teams.. (Crowd chanted SEC, SEC) we were overwhelming favorites to win title.... We were 6.5 favorites in FF game against Michigan... Mashburn committed 2 silly reach in fouls right before overtime or we win easy... They had no answer for Mash with us clearing floor for him..

Mash was a beast. We win a natty that year had he not fouled out against Michigan. The fab 5 could not stop him. That UNC Michigan game was the only time I have ever pulled fir UNC.
We win the title that year if Dale Brown doesnt injure his shoulder on the scores table against Michigan. He was the leading scorer in the game when it happened.

Reactions: nooutlet
ADVERTISEMENT